Syfy Orders Project From M. Night Shyamalan and Marti Noxon, Greenlights Bryan Fuller Pilot

SyfySyfy is getting into business with three prolific auteurs: M. Night Shyamalan (The Sixth Sense), Marti Noxon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies).

The cable network has given a put-pilot commitment to Proof, a drama co-written and exec produced by Shyamalan and Noxon and directed by Shyamalan, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

VIDEO | Is Pushing Daisies Bound for Broadway?

The project — which marks Shyamalan’s first stab at scripted television — follows the son of a billionaire tech genius who, after the unexpected passing of his parents, offers up a big financial reward to anyone who can find proof of life after death.

Additionally, Syfy has given a 90-minute pilot order to High Moon from Fuller, our sister site Deadline reports.

An adaptation of John Christopher’s 1969 young adult sci-fi novel The Lotus Caves, the potential series centers around a future in which the countries of Earth have established colonies to mine the moon’s resources. However, chaos erupts after a new life form is discovered.

Jim Danger Gray (Pushing Daisies) will write the project and serve as an executive producer alongside Fuller — who’s also working on Mockingbird Lane and Hannibal for NBC — and Robert Halmi Sr. (Neverland).

1. Shane says:

Haven. That is all.
    No seriously, that is all I’m watching on Syfy. Once that’s gone, so am I.
    I liked Warehouse 13 though, I just lost track of it last year. I guess I need to catch up on that too.

• wordsmith says:

Don’t be too quick to write off Syfy – they’ve actually got a pretty good lineup of shows these days. Alphas has some fantastic, prickly character writing and acting; Being Human is in many ways smarter than the British original (which is itself a brilliant bit of TV); Eureka had more quirky charm than Warehouse 13 ever will muster (not that WH13 isn’t fun in its own way). And though it isn’t out until next year, Defiance looks really ambitious.

• Mark says:

Ummm … Eureka is gone. But I agree with your other comments.

• wordsmith says:

that’s why I said “had” rather than “has”. I figured it was recent enough to still be worth mentioning.

• Zayne says:

I agree that both Alphas and Being Human are great shows but I would put them in the “fantasy” genre. Syfy has a tendency to treat their actual “sci-fi” shows very poorly, i.e. Anything that begins with Stargate and as mentioned below, Eureka.

I fear for a smart well-written sci-fi show by Bryan Fuller and what Syfy will do to it.

• wordsmith says:

By “treat poorly” do you mean “cancel early” or “write badly”. If the former, then I’d agree that Stargate: Universe should have run longer; if the former, then I’d agree that the other two were on several more seasons that necessary :)

• Josh says:

You lost me at “Being human is in many ways is smarter then the British show”…nope, nope, and nope. haha…

• AT says:

I ‘like’ Being Human US but yeah I they lost me too. It’s not nearly as intelligent as the British one. That said, I’m looking forward to these two new shows. They sound interesting.

• wordsmith says:

The British version wins hands down on characters, but I always get the sense that it’s sort of stumbling in the dark story-wise. The American version just seems to be a bit better plotted out (plus they haven’t yet had to pull a super-awkward, fairly abrupt cast overhaul)

• soundscene says:

Well, the Brit version was on for 3 seasons before the cast change; the American version has only been on 2 seasons. I doubt the American version would survive after a cast change, though, and I don’t think it’s going to happen. British TV tends to have more TV/film crossover actors–it’s a blessing and it can cause cast changes when the actor suddenly becomes unavailable (say, because he’s filming The Hobbit for many months).

• How do you consider wrestling and reality shows 4 nights a week to be a good lineup. Sure they (barely) have a couple good shows left, but calling that a good lineup is like putting a couple marshmallows in a cup of raw sewage and calling it coco.

2. Jimmy says:

What about “Proof” makes it remotely sci-fi. Well, I forget this is Syfy where they actually don’t like anything too “sci-fi.”

• wordsmith says:

I’m guessing that the sci-fi element involves someone actually finding the “proof” indicated in the title. Don’t know where they’re going with it, but there are certainly possibilities.

• soundscene says:

Scifi just means “science fiction.” Proof of life after death–science… yet this is a fictitious story. Science fiction. Even though I truly lament the ultimate lack of “space” shows on Syfy now (Stargate: Universe, I barely knew ya), Syfy still airs what is considered science fiction–just a lot more grounded science fiction. They no longer deal primarily in the spaceships/aliens/sea, sand and forest monsters idea of science fiction. A change which I believe was to open up the audience to more than just B-movie nostalgics and comicon attendees.

3. bricewgilbert says:

So a TV version of Signs? Hmmmm if it’s as well made, shot, and acted as Signs i’ll be in. Even though no doubt the subject matter and what it has to say will annoy me at every turn.

4. Selek says:

We should be careful, Syfy’s Craig Engler might get all up in our faces for the mediocrity that once great cable net provided us.

5. Sam says:

I’ve always thought Shyamalan’s work reminded me of bad SyFy movies. So this is perfect.

6. Drew says:

I’m a big fan of Shyamalan, so I’m looking forward to it. Most of the time, I think people miss the point of his work, but I find it fascinating. They’re the sort of stories that people would fawn all over in novel form, but the audience usually isn’t willing to examine movies in the same way as books. Which is fine and cool for those people, but I love his work.

• manny says:

I always think when people feel they are in the minority of understanding art its a little pretentious but i do agree with your analysis that some of his movies would make great novels. But those are his best movies i think he gets a bit self indulgent and pretentious himself. With that said i think the change in medium will highlight why everyone liked him in the first place. Allowing him to prolong the twists and turns.

7. I really like Shayamalan. Will give it a go if it gets to the point where it’ll be aired.

8. thefirstmrshummel says:

The person who wrote the An Extraordinary Christmas Glee episode and the one who brought you The Last Airbender movie are collaborating. How far away can I possibly stay?

• Jellymoff says:

Don’t use the Glee Xmas episode an example of Noxon’s work. Check out BTVS “Surprise” or “The Wish”.

9. Gilda says:

To be honest, I’m a little judgy of Shyamalan since he butchered Last Airbender. But regardless of whose at the helm I’m happy Syfy is producing more scripted shows and not just reality and wrestling.

10. WHERE’S MY BSG: BLOOD AND CHROME

11. Dennis says:

Good, i’m sick of all their reality shows although i’m sure they are working on some new ones maybe Haunted Toilets, Ghost Cars or something . I’ll give any of their real shows a try. I still miss Eureka… gone too soon

12. Disastrous says:

I’ve heard that syfy is developing a series based off of the Harper Connelly novels.. Is this still happening? My excitement cannot be contained!