Up All Night Snags Sean Hayes for Season 2 Arc

We’ve got some bad news and good news for Up All Night’s Ava: You’re losing your talk show but gaining a buddy!

Will & Grace’s Sean Hayes will join the NBC sitcom’s upcoming second season as an accompanist who worked with Maya Rudolph’s Ava during her music recording days, TVGuide.com reports. His multi-episode arc will have him palling around with the audacious Ava front woman, whose show-within-a-show we’ll see far less of (according to The Huffington Post) as the comedy moves toward telling more stories about Reagan, Chris and Amy at home.

RELATED | Christina Applegate Enjoys Being Up All Night, Praises Her Brilliant (Baby) Co-Stars

Hayes’ casting news follows word that Best Friends Forever’s Luka Jones is now an Up All Night series regular who’ll play the divorced younger brother of Christina Applegate’s Reagan.

Up All Night returns to NBC on Thursday, Sept. 20 (8/7c).

1. joe says:

But Maya Rudolph was the best part of this show.

2. Kristina says:

That just might be enough to get me to tune in again.

3. Cody says:

As much as I like Maya Rudolph, her role in this show is a distraction. The “hook” of the show is the new parent angle; that is the reason my wife and I – parents of a one-year-old, and people who completely eschew sitcoms – never miss an episode. I’m glad Ms. Rudolph will still be on the show, but I will gladly watch more of Chris, Reagan and their daughter (who was so absent for the second half of the season that I’ve apparently forgotten her name!)

• Totally and completely agree with this! I’m not a parent but I still started watching the show for the new parenting aspect and the adorable baby. While I did like the scenes of Reagan and Ava at work, I felt that Amy (the daughter) and the new parents plotline were shoved to the side. Glad they’re going back to focusing on the parenting.

4. Karen says:

I LOVE Sean Hayes. But Maya Rudolph is the best part of the show, so they better not focus too much on the Chris and Reagan at home stuff.
    Secretly hoping for Megan Mullally to come back for a Will & Grace reunion!

• Leah says:

My favorite moment of the whole season was Megan Mullally yelling, “Go away Cindy Loohoo!” It would be glorioius to have her back.

5. John Moshier says:

good that will make it better its not suppose to be the maya show

6. Mark says:

The Ava part of the show is the strongest component. The new parent angle is so blah.

7. Dannette says:

If you don’t like the part of the show that focuses on Chris and Reagan being new parents and their experiences with raising their daughter, you might want to watch another show. As much as I love Ava, the root of the show isn’t about Ava. Ava is a part of the show, yes, but her character is not what the actual show is supposed to be about.

8. The Squatch says:

I don’t really mind this as the Ava character will probably still be around a lot since she and Reagan are best friends. Sounds like just less scenes at the office, which I hope means less of Ava’s assistant, who I’m sorry to say, just kind of annoyed me.

I actually think it would be great if, in addition to the stories about the main couple and their child at home, they threw in a few about Ava and Jason Lee’s character and Ava suddenly being a mom as well. (Albeit to Jason Lee’s 9 year old.) I can see the season finale being Ava finding out she is pregnant and Chris joking with Reagan about how hard it will be for Ava with a newborn and how he is glad their baby is older… only to have Reagan tell him she is pregnant with her second child as well. hehe

9. I’m a new parent, but I’m a new parent who works. Do you know how many shows there are about working moms that aren’t Murphy Brown? Up All Night is the only one I can think of. I loved that the show wasn’t just about Chris and Reagan at home. I liked that there was some acknowledgment that lots of moms out there have lives outside of their homes and that this was part of the humor. It’s like they’ve decided the show needs to be simultaneously dumbed down and duded up. Let’s make it more like every other sitcom on TV. =\ Sad.

10. Brooks says:

Are they bringing back Kevin (Jason Lee)? If not, I won’t be watchng. Rest of the show is too silly.

11. Trena says:

I love this show! Can anyone tell me when it will b coming to Australian tv again?