Olympics Watch: What Was Your Favorite Moment from London 2012, Day 4?

Is it possible the 2012 Olympics might’ve peaked on Day 4? There was Allison Schmitt’s Olympic record-setting Gold-medal performance in the 200 freestyle. There was the triumph of the U.S. “Fab 5″ — oh those vaults! and oh the injustice of McKayla Maroney’s imperfect vault score! — in the Women’s Gymnastics Team Final. But for me, the most thrilling part of NBC’s primetime coverage had to be the finals of the men’s 4×200 freestyle relay.

Granted, NBC’s commentators did a great/slightly sadistic job of pumping up the suspense — heralding Frenchman Yannick Agnel as such an enormous threat to relay anchor Michael Phelps that it seemed like he’d be swallowed whole if his trio of teammates (Ryan Lochte, Conor Dwyer, and Ricky Berens) didn’t give him a half a pool length’s advantage before he leapt off the blocks in an effort to make his record 19th Olympic medal a Gold one. But the threat never really materialized: Lochte led the U.S. to a long lead in Leg 1, while Dwyer and Berens maintained that sizeable advantage, setting Phelps up for a leg that was more an exhibition of his awesome power than a nailbiter of a finish. Not even dopey interview questions from poolside reporter Andrea Kremer (“what was your strategy as far as getting to the lead?”) could kill the buzz.

What was your favorite moment of Day 4? So many to choose from! That said, was anyone else annoyed by the relentless “Jordyn Wieber is relying on her teammates now?” mantra from the gymnastics commentators? Or the number of times they replayed Aly Raisman’s mom screaming support at the expense of showing actual other sporting events? Sound off in the comments!

1. Olympics2012 says:

The commentators have been annoying since the opening ceremony. Almost as annoying as the people whining about breaking news showing up as it happens instead of hours later so they aren’t “spoiled”.

• Emily says:

I don’t mind the actual ex-Olympian commentators themselves. But ugh, Andrea Kremer or whoever that poolside interviewer is is the worst. NBC needs some new blood.

• A says:

The NBC commentators have been so annoying, it always seems like they’re screaming! The live online feed has the original UK commentators, they’re so much better!

2. lariet50 says:

Breaking news I can avoid – it’s when people put it on Facebook that sucks. Like, I work during the day, people. How are you having time to watch the Olympics? Anyway.

My favorites were all women’s gymnastics. When Jordyn Wieber looked dead into the camera before her floor routine like “Watch this.” And then after Raisman’s floor, all the girls backing into the middle of the floor to wait for her score. So nice to see! Sick of the Fab Five moniker already, though.

• E says:

It seems like a bad idea to check twitter or Facebook if you are trying to stay unspoiled. What’s on FB that would need your attention for half a day anyway? It’s actually been nice to realize how easily I can go entire days w/o checking twitter (I don’t do FB). I usually check my timeline at the end of my viewing for the evening, knowing I won’t be spoiled and even then, there isn’t anything terribly ‘important’ that I’ve missed.

Shocking I know….social media isn’t that important. ;-)

• lariet50 says:

I actually use Facebook in my job. So yes, I need to keep tabs on it. I really don’t understand the people who feel the need to cast aspersions on those of us who want to enjoy the primetime coverage without knowing what’s happened. Part of the joy of watching these is the thrill of the competition, and knowing who has won takes a lot of that away. Just my two cents – lord knows I know enough about the Internet to know I’m not going to agree with most people!

• E says:

I think it’s just impossible unless you completely unplug: a friend of mine tried to watch the NBC National News and got stung with a spoiler. I caught a spoiler while walking thru our LR when my teen boys were watching ESPN Sportscenter and the “bottom line” ticker had something…I wasn’t even trying to look, but I guess our eyes/brains don’t take much to comprehend things.

I’m still annoyed that I got spoiled for the ’98 Women’s Figure Skating competition! I was talking to another unspoiled coworker about looking forward to the evening’s broadcast and someone walked by and said “Oh I was so sad that she didn’t win”. We both yelled “DON’T SAY ANYTHING”. But I walked back to my desk and figured Kwan had to have lost because I doubted many folks had that kind of sympathy for Lipinksi.

BTW, we have (or had) the NBC Olympic app on our iPad and THEY spoiled Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympian….the app created a notification that my son read. Thanks!

• Just a whiner says:

I’m kind of the opposite, I could easily avoid Facebook and I do avoid Twitter. Most of my Facebook friends are kind enough not to post spoilers, because they know it sucks. Last night though was a bit of a problem, because people on the East Coast went apesh*t when Phelps broke the record and the gymnasts got the gold. My problem is much more that online spoilers from media outlets are finding me without me looking for them, like I log on to use instant messenger to discuss work stuff with coworkers, and the dumb uninvited news window pops up as soon as I log in telling me what happened, or I go to check the upcoming thunderstorms on weather.com and they have personalized local headlines telling me who won, or my personal favorite…CNN sending me a breaking news update to my work email and an uninvited email window popping up out of nowhere while I work telling me Phelps broke the record. Now come on, that is just evil. Those who say to unplug during the day and that we’re just whiners are pretty cold, heartless individuals. I have to have use of the internet to work, and I have to have use of the internet to do a lot of the things I need to do in my life, like communicate with people (I just have a pay as you go phone that I try not to use), pay my bills, check to see if there’s a storm coming I need to watch out for, keep up on my work email, etc., etc. I can’t just be sitting in my closet all day taking sick days off work with my eyes shut and my fingers in my ears while I sing “la la la la” until NBC starts their coverage. And I think a lot of condescending individuals (particularly those who work in the media) are pretty much saying I should be doing just that. It’s not realistic. If I was just DVRing the events and waiting to watch, then I think it would be my own fault if I was getting spoilers, but come on, it is not my fault that NBC delays their coverage until prime time. It is wrong of media outlets to throw the information all over the web in the middle of the day before most Americans have a chance to watch. Not everyone has the ability to sit around on the web all day watching the events live. I’d be out of a job if I tried getting away with that.

3. The Fab Five… And seeing the races even though I got spoiled

• Tenney says:

The fab five was my favorite too. Seeing them all standing there holding hands while waiting for the board to change was awesome. You could see the excitement in their eyes. And even though the results were spoiled for me, not only for the woman’s gymnastics but also the 4X200 relay, I still enjoyed watching it. Unless you completely unplug or hide out where you cannot hear any conversation, chances are you’re going to hear results. It is still a lot of fun to watch.

4. BA says:

The Fab 5 was my favorite, althought I got sick of the angle that made it all about Jordyn Wieber. I also enjoyed the relay victory, but also thought that the focus was a bit too much on Phelps. This latter spin is more understandable, though, because it was a record setting moment for Phelps. I don’t want to hear what Bob Costas or Ryan Secreast or John McEnroe think. The events are long over by prime time, so there is no need to kill time with the focus on the talking heads.

• Gretchen says:

Anyone who watches gymnastics outside the Olympics already knows that in 2012, Gabby is the better gymnast than Jordyn…bested her earlier in the year, at the Olympic Trials and in the preliminary rounds. I’m sick of the “poor Jordyn” nonsense. She is NOT entitled to compete!

• Lue says:

It really doesn’t bother me. All the pity I mean. I mean, she HAS been working for this all her life, and when she didn’t get it, she was crushed. It’s not her fault everyone felt sorry for her. I also don’t think it matters who’s better; for now at least. I mean they got gold… Over China. What more could you ask for? I’m just pretty happy for them; regardless who is better than who.

• Gretchen says:

Each of those girls has been working for this all of their lives–why is Jordyn so much more special and entitled? All I am saying is, the results from the preliminaries aren’t a shock to those who have watched any gymnastics over the past year. Jordyn peaked a year early.

• ejones says:

Why is Phelps still competing? The hardest thing I found with my sporting prowess was getting used to the reduced powers as age took hold. When youv’e been as good as Phelps, then to swim in events without even winning a medal, I don’t understand.

5. CAM says:

I think the comments about Jordyn Wieber needing her teammates to get through it were ridiculous. She came out in fine form, showing a true Olympic spirit and was cheering them on. They are a great team and supportive of one another and they all contributing to the win.

6. Marie says:

This Dane’s favourite moment was the first Danish medal at these games – silver in mens skeet shooting, as well as the mens handball match between Denmark and Spain!

7. fifi says:

My fave was Chad Le Clos gold medal win! Chad is a cutie, I was so proud

8. Margaret says:

as a west coaster, I am able to time my lunch break to watch the swimming & a bit of the gymnastics, part because I grew up as a swimmer (whitney phelps was my coach) & part because I like the commentators much better. shannon miller from the magnificent 7 is one of the people doing the live stream commentating & she’s quite good. it was lovely to watch the gymnastics girls do so well last night, they are such a complete team; McKayla Maroney’s vault was insane, fantastic.

9. Denice Galusha says:

What about those USA women and their beam routines! Wow – ice water runs through their veins. And, then Gabby and, especially, Jordyn were do awesome on the floor, Aly needed a litle over a score of 10 (10!) so they could win the gold medal! I cried right along with them!

10. G says:

The Fab 5 and Michael Phelps was my favorite things of the night. Watched part of the live stream for the gymnastics and it was SO much better than the primetime coverage. Shannon Miller and another male announcer did an outstanding job without all the manufactured drama that the primetime announcers try to bring. Let the sport and athletes through their accomplishments tell the story, it is better than the manufactured garbage. I also got to see actual gymnastics from other countries than just the US and Russia (some were pretty good too). Andrea Kremer needs to be dunked in the pool everytime she askes one of her stupid and hurtful questions.

• You are so right about Andrea Kremer or whatever her name is. Has she even asked a relevant question? She is trying to get the athletes to put each other down and tell you how terrible they did even if they win. She seems like she has been watching that awful commercial of Matthew Perry’s new show telling Shawn Johnson that she is a loser cause she lost the times she only win silver medals. As stupid as Matthew Perry’s character is on the commercial — Andrea Kremer is in real life. I wanted Phelps to punch her the first night and Lochte the second!!! Our athlete’s deserve better than NBC, especially her.

• itmfa1@gmail.com says:

I despise that commercial for exactly the reason you mention. It’s a slap in the face to anyone who wins bronze or silver. I can’t believe Shawn Johnson stooped so low as to make it. I’ve lost all respect for her.

• Kate says:

Someone needs to collect her awful comments somewhere. My favorites of last night were 1. Talking to Alison Schmitt about her great race and to sign off she said “we are all so glad you got cut from your soccer team!”. I am sure at some other time Schmitt said she started swimming because she got cut, but outside that interview it just sounds like a random dig! 2. Talking to the relay team, she said “congrats on being part of Michael making history!”. Way to belittle their own achievement.

• Maga says:

I also loved that the other swimmers on the relay team didn’t even know that it was a historic moment for Phelps. Lochte looked at him and said, “really?” and started to congratulate him when stupid Andrea Kremer cut him off to ask a stupid question.

• paul hannsen says:

Shannon Miller is very very good. I didnt know it was her at first until the guy said Shannon blah blah blah. Enthusiastic without being annoying, obv superinformed and somewhat understated esp compared to tv people which is very nice

11. lauren says:

definitely the fab five! i was crying just watching their faces when they realized they’d won, especially aly when she finished her floor routine! still giving me chills

12. Amanda says:

About halfway through gymnastics I was ready to turn off my tv with the entire poor Jordyn routine they were pulling. If Aly or Gabby had come in third place for all-around and didn’t qualify there would have been nary a peep about horrific it was for them. Jordyn was bested in qualifying, but as a team they won gold. It was not just Jordyn who got them there and often times waiting for another girls’ score they would show Jordyn alone.

That being said, I am extremely proud of the girls. They were simply amazing last night. I felt like a kid again when I was watching the Magnifiecnt Seven win their gold. I can’t wait to see all-around with Aly and Gabby.

13. jess says:

Not a fan of the commentators, but my main beef’s with Andrea Kramer. Such a bad interviewer! ugh, I like watching the full event replays online without commentary much better.

14. Jared says:

Jordyn Weiber is a fantastic gymnastic..rock solid in everything she does..I will not take that away from her..but was she the best on the team?..No..Gabby Douglas has been beating her all year..The real surprise came from Aly Raisman.

15. Juan says:

How about that huge injustice in men’s beach volleyball when the ref miss a very important call for Spain in favor of ISA, it was obvious that it was the Spanish point and it probably cost them the match

• E says:

Unless the refs were flawless the entire match…except for this call, I think it just looks worse that it came so late in the game. Ref’s aren’t any more perfect than the athletes, and late bad calls are just painful. It’s worth noting that even the commentators weren’t sure it was a bad call until they reviewed in….slow motion….something the refs don’t have available.

16. Carolyn says:

While I loved the US women winning Gold in gymnastics and seeing Michael Phelps tie and then make the record for Olympic medals, a real highlight for me was seeing Caitlin Leverenz’s reaction to winning swimming Bronze in the 200 IM yesterday. The joy on her face was priceless and so unlike other athletes who react to Silver and Bronze as if they lost something. I am so tired of commentators’ and fans’ reactions to achieving anything but Gold.

• Kelly says:

Put Aaron Piersol on the swim deck and get rid of Andrea Kremer as soon as possible! NBC needs to implement some damage control, and sooner better than later. Those guys must cringe every time she asks a question!

• adlib19 says:

Andrea is dreadful. Last night she made the men’s relay more about the Phelps’ win than about the team effort, and it was so awkward you could tell it even made Phelps uncomfortable. Aaron Piersol makes everything better!

17. fan says:

The first Swedish medal! A silver in eventing.. tjuuuhuuu :D

18. Sal says:

I them CTV’s commentary has been great so far, especially in gymnastics and diving. So proud of all of Canada’s medals yesterday! Christine Girard looked like a frikkin tank lifting that barbell, and Antoine Valois’s reaction to winning the bronze was just heart-melting. Go Canada go!!!

19. Jen says:

Yes I felt the same way. She was just absolutely beaming at winning a medal and it was as a joy to watch. That is what the Olympics is all about! I also loved the Fab Five all holding hands as they waited to see the final score. Now that’s a team!

20. kcostell says:

The commentators were just painful to listen to, especially during the vault scoring. The judges knew what they were doing, and they graded EVERYBODY strictly and fairly on the vault…a perfect “0 deductions” requires a much higher level than a perfect 10 used to, and to my knowledge never happens in practice.

Maroney was the best in the world on the vault last night, and the judges graded it accordingly — she was scored a full 0.25 above the 2nd and 3rd place vaulters (the other two Americans), and a full point or more above pretty much anyone else. But you’d never know that from the way the commentators were going on about “unfair” judging.

21. Elle says:

I felt like the gymnastics should be renamed to ‘The Jordy Gymnastics’. It seemed to be all about her when it wasn’t. The camera was in her face a lot of the time, background stories a lot. I should have muted it.

• Emily says:

It was awful after the qualifying results were announced. They interviewed an ecstatic Aly with a crying Jordyn behind her, purposely framed in the shot the entire time. Way to ruin it for both girls.

22. Kelly says:

Andrea Kremer needs to exit the pool deck as soon as possible. Her post-swim interview questions are an embarrassment to her, NBC, swimming, and sports. After tens of thousands of hours of training, they have to reply to her absurd questions and comments and remain dignified. AARRRGGGHHH! Guess I could use my mute button, but I am impressed by the continued gracious responses by the swimmers.

• E says:

They sure struggle with deck reporters. They used to use Jim Gray….who was terrible as well. I remember him confronting an Irish swimmer that won a medal about the rumors of her doping. For all I know she did (my recollection is that her boyfriend had been found doping or something), but it HARDLY seemed like the time/place to confront her….immediately following her race. But he’s awful, awful, awful at anything.

23. Bo says:

Stupidest comment: one of the NBC announcers (Trautwig?) wondered how the US team would perform while the Russian gymnast was in tears. My guesses – 1) no effect at all or 2) they smelled blood and went for the jugular. Does anybody think there was any sympathy there?

Too much drama. Just shut up already.