HBO Bosses Talk Entourage and Larry David Films, True Blood and Thrones End Games

HBO bosses Richard Plepler and Michael Lombardo took the stage Wednesday at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills, and announced, among other newsy tidbits, that an Entourage movie is not dead, Curb Your Enthusiasm is gone… for now and True Blood‘s pulse is still beating in a big way.

While all has seemed quiet on the Entourage flick front recently, Lombardo assured that those wheels are definitely still in motion. “[Creator] Doug [Ellin], as of this week, is on Page 65 [of the] film’s script, and he’s excited about it,” he shared. That said, they’ve still only heard a “very generic pitch” for the movie, and then “after we look at a script, we’ll see if there’s any interest” from the bromantic cast, Lombardo explained.

RELATED | Girls and Enlightened to Return in January

Another project in the works by HBO, albeit one meant for television, is a film starring Larry David and directed by Greg Mottola. Details on the project are scarce — other than Deadline‘s report that Jon Hamm and Michael Keaton will also co-star — but per Lombardo, this is not a Curb Your Enthusiasm movie. “He’s not playing [that] Larry David,” he clarified.

As for what the project means for additional seasons of David’s quirky comedy, Plepler laughed, “It means whatever Larry wants it to mean for future seasons of Curb… When he wants to come back and do Curb, we’ll be thrilled. I don’t think he’s closed the door on another season.” The movie, however, “absolutely” comes first, he added.

HBO, meanwhile, sees no end in sight for True Blood, which will go on without creator Alan Ball after the upcoming Season 5 finale. “The show’s obviously doing well,” Lombardo shared. “As long as it continues to be performing with the consumer, and more importantly exciting the storytellers, I think we’re there.”

RELATED | Sienna Miller and Toby Jones as Hedren and Hitchcock in HBO’s The Girl

Same goes for its fantasy hit Game of Thrones. “As we’ve said to [author] George R.R. Martin, as long as he keeps writing, we’ll keep producing — and he seems very excited with that proposition,” said Plepler.

Other announcements out of HBO’s executive panel discussion:

• The network is currently “having discussions” about whether or not there should be a fourth season of Treme.

• A documentary on rockers The Rolling Stones is in the works and is tied to the band’s 50th anniversary. Brett Morgen (The Kid Stays In The Picture) will direct the project, which has the full involvement of both current and former band members.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News

1. Sam says:

Game of Thrones series finale: May 24, 2025.

• Dick Whitman says:

I’m more than ok with this. Make it happen, HBO!

• Joan says:

I am also more than okay with this, but it will be waaaaay sooner. More like 2020 or something like that. If they do 2 seasons for book 3 and one for each of the remaining books, we’re looking at 6 seasons… throw 2 more just to make sure and the show will end somewhere between 2019 and 2021.

• Regal says:

I’m betting we’ll see two seasons for books 4 and 5 (and possibly 6) as well simply because it gives George R.R. Martin time to actually write books 6 & 7. Remember it was 6 years between the releases of books 4 & 5

• melosm says:

This is why I refuse to read the books. He may never get around to writing the rest of the series. I am not going to dedicate that kind of time without a guaranteed ending. However, the show I will continue to watch and love!!

• Emily says:

I heard somewhere that Martin clued the showrunners in to his endgame, in case he bites the dust before publishing the final book(s). Morbid to think about, but thoughtful.

2. Gerald says:

“As long as it continues to be performing with the consumer, and more importantly exciting the storytellers, I think we’re there.” Sorry, but it’s not exciting anymore… it’s awful. I really hope the new showrunner can help/improve the show.

3. Jj says:

Um, Game of Thrones is awesome! What is dead may never die!

4. Dick Whitman says:

I can see True Blood ending next year. The actors will probably get tired of all the “exciting” storylines.

(and by “exciting” I mean “ridiculous”)

5. Mrs. A says:

Oh I love Treme, how have people not noticed this show? It’s sooooo wonderful! And hopefully HBO’s eagerness to continue to produce Game Of Thrones will encourage GRRM to sit his ass down and write the final two books, dammit!

6. Brad Pennington says:

Game of Thrones and Curb SHOULD go on as long as they want. As far as all the other horrible shows go, they NEED to be canceled. Also, Carnivale needs to come back to finish its six season story arc. I have still never forgave you, HBO, for canceling one of the best shows ever. Be glad Thrones and Curb have kept your network afloat.

7. Joanna says:

So George R.R. Martin is excited. Then why doesn’t he finish writing the next damn book?

• David P. Graf says:

Because Martin has created such an intricate story that it’s almost impossible for any one person or author to get their head around it especially when you are trying to bring the whole thing to a satisfying conclusion. You don’t want your fans to have a “WTF” moment as did many fans of Battlestar Galactica during the series finale. I don’t bother watching BG in reruns because the whole series led up to zilch in my opinion. You don’t want the same thing to happen to Game of Thrones.

8. GoT Snow says:

So happy HBO is on board to give Game of Thrones the opportunity to shine. It’s the best show on television!

9. The Squatch says:

I never really gave Curb your Enthusiasm a chance at first, I am sorry to say. I caught a random episode one day on HBO since it was on in the background as I was doing something else. I started finding myself paying more and more attention until I forgot what I was doing completely. Since then I have gone back and watched every season and I have to admit that I love the show now. I sincerely hope that Larry David decides to do at least one more season of the show.