Vampire Diaries' Damon Vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike in Bad-Boy Tourney Semifinals!

Get ready for a teeth-baring battle in the second Semifinal matchup of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament.

Today’s bout finds Damon Salvatore of The Vampire Diaries and Spike of Buffy the Vampire Slayer heading into the ring.

On Thursday, the last two men standing will duke it out in the Finale of our single-elimination tourney. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (416)

• I love both Ian and James as actors – they are both really talented IMO. I vote for Spike though because his character is more multifaceted and interesting.

Comment by Mittemus – August 2, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahh, the nerve some people have..how dare they vote for their favorite bad-boy character! They have to be stoned, ignorant or stupid.

Comment by justanid – August 2, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^This
      So perfect.

Comment by Quinn – August 2, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike should be winning. I love Damon and Vampire Diaries but come on Buffy and Spike are the original. The people voting Damon are just doing it cause he is hot (which he is) but that’s not the point of this poll. Spike would kick Damon’s ass if he had the chance. Vote Spike!

Comment by Kim – August 2, 2012 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Completely disgusted by the fact that Damon is winning – Based upon character traits, Spike is clearly the Big Bad while Damon rides his coattails.

Comment by Isis M. Nocturne (@Isis_Nocturne) – August 2, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very sad as Damon and Spike Fan to read how Fans need to bring down the other one to proof their favourite is better. Better to tell the reasons why you love the one you choose, bringing down the other one, won´t make your choice better. I read all the comments and mostly saw Spike fans attacking TVD/Damon fans for voting for their favourite. I am inveloved in both fandoms, and I can tell you that neither Damon fans neither Spike fans vote cause they are hot. To Spike fans: Do you remember how Angel/Bangel fans use the same argument for supporting Spike or shipping Spuffy- cause he is hot? I thought that you all would understand how much it really not the reason. The characters is what really makes the actors attractive. There are some really beautiful and hot actors, but still it doesn´s make them the favourite character in the fandom. I am 28- not a teen at all, and voted for Damon- even through it broke my heart to vote against Spike. But that is how I feel, I love Damon more. I just hope I won´t be juged or insulted by my own fandom for that…

Comment by JanaP – August 2, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A person after my own heart! I’ve graduated college and saw Buffy when it was still on air. I feel the exact same way. I voted for Damon to be honest because the Spike fans that were being so rude compelled me to want Damon to win more than Spike. I love them both SO SO much! And BtVS and TVD are good shows, either character would deserve to win. I just got so appalled at reading at how I would be idiotic, immature, drugged and/or a superficial person only concerned with looks in order to vote for Damon. And the more I read those things, the more I was thinking of Damon’s great characterization and thinking why wouldn’t I vote for him? My appreciation of Damon’s character actually skyrocketed upon reading the comments attacking it. Obviously, if Spike wins that’s fine. In fact, it’d be awesome because a BtVS character in the finals (especially Spike) is just great. To me, this is the real final round of the tournament. Both characters are just too amazing for words anyway.
      Don’t worry, I think that the Spike fans whose comments are on here not building Spike up so much as attacking Damon and fans of TVD are not good representations of our fandom. I don’t normally see this type of hostile comments in the BtVS fandom. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ones attacking the age of the Damon fans are just representatives of the younger, more immature side of the BtVS fandom.

Comment by Jazz – August 2, 2012 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike fans, take heart in the fact that Buffy will forever land on critics’ lists for best television shows of all time, which is more than could be said for TVD, which is a good show, but not a historic or enduring one. Look at how pervasive support for Spike still is almost a decade after BtVS has ended. I own both shows on DVD, but I pull out Buffy tons more often than TVD.

Comment by Leah – August 2, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you so much for writing this comment.
      I can now have some comfort when this all ends. :)

Comment by Helena – August 2, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike will always be my favorite and Damon is the best out of the current bunch<3

Comment by cassienewton – August 2, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon

Comment by angela steffen – August 2, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Damon would kick spike ass. I love Damon. I vote for Damon allday. When I first watch the vampire daries I fell in love with it.

Comment by angela steffen – August 2, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How is spike losing this poll? Damon isn’t even a bad boy on the show he’s on – but somehow he’s more of a bad boy than spike? Too many people voting with their eyes. Or there are just too many young voters. I suppose that I should be happy that Damon is considered a bad boy by the younger generation. At least, they won’t be searching for true bad boys if they are searching for boys similar to Damon. .

Comment by Hmmmm – August 2, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you even watch TVD? this comment kind of made me laugh with how wrong you are.

Comment by bekkah – November 17, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much I love love love Damon, I’ve loved Spike longer, so not fair pinning them both against each other was not an easy choice for me to make :( sorry Damon but couldn’t vote for you..

Comment by Megan – August 2, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry but I was the biggest Buffy fan and I am a huge VD fan but I have to go with Damon on this one mainly because although I liked Spike I was always MUCH more of an Angel fan…I never rooted for Spike In that sense. From day one I thought Damon should win the whole thing, he has the charm and swagger needed to be the ultimate bad boy, IMO, it’s not about how many people you’ve killed (if it were 90% of this bracket shouldn’t even be on here) but who has just enough edge to leave you wanting more ;-)

Comment by DeeKayTee – August 2, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Thank you! The whole who’s killed more thing is irrelevant (and I loved Angel more than Spike too but loved Damon most of all.) Chuck Bass made it to the semifinals on the other side. It’s clearly not about how many slayers/Originals the contestant killed.
      People just need to realize different characters appeal to different people. For some, Spike was better developed than Damon; for others, it’s the opposite. Opinions can’t be wrong even if they don’t align with yours.

Comment by Quinn – August 2, 2012 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike. Black leather. Bleach blonde. Sings. ……CHEEKBONES! :D

Comment by Kelly – August 2, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damon undoubtedly appeals to the Twilight crowd. There is simply no way Spike shouldn’t take the whole thing

Comment by Tucker – August 2, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize that the vast majority of the TVD fanbase hate Twilight, right? No? Oh yeah that’s because you’re ignorantly making comments.
      Seriously? Twilight and TVD have as much in common as BtVS and Twilight (so nothing really.)

Comment by Rett – August 2, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer when I was younger and still love to watch it and Spike was and still is amazing. However I have to go with Damon on this one. I love The Vampire Diaries and I love the character, I find him witty and biting and just all around entertaining to watch.

Comment by Meghan – August 2, 2012 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was like Sophie’s choice… But had to go with Damon, even though Spike was my first love. These two should have been in the final!

Comment by Marie – August 3, 2012 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Please for god sake!!! Stop voting that tard of Damon!!! He’s not the real bad boy stop voting for beauty is about bad boy countest you dumbass!! Spike is defenitely THE badboy Damon is just areally crappy copy of that super bad guy!!!
    Comment by William “- THIS COMMENT JUST SHOCKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People, stop writing such bad things about Damon!!!!you humiliate not only him, but millions of his fans!!!just be polite!!! Damon is a HEART of TVD!!!!He makes so much people happy!!!What about Buffy… I have watched this show too,I love Buffy so much, but I didn’t watch it because of Spike!!!!Not at all!!!
    Why do you write such dirrty and false things?
    When did you excaclty see that Damon raped Caroline and Andy?This statement is just getting on my nerves.He bit them, but he didn’t rape them!!!!
    I am a huge Damon’s fan, but I don’t write bad things about Spike, though this character is not such perfect!!!!

Comment by Elwina – August 3, 2012 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Comment by William “- THIS COMMENT JUST SHOCKED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why do you write such dirrty and false things?

Comment by Elwina – August 3, 2012 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All right. First of all: Congrats to Damon fans! We guys did it! Poll closed and Damon (true to our expectations) won! I’m happy together with you. Secondly: Congrats to Spike fans! Spike proved to be remaining so deep in your hearts that he actually gave hard time to Damon. I think it’s a victory in its way. Thirdly: It was very annoying, sad and irritating to read the comments here trying to spread shadows on either Spike or Damon (mainly Spike fans’ attacking Damon’s with so much hatred I can’t understand). I mean come on! It was just a poll! :( And fourth of all and I’m glad I’m saying this: Thanks, Spike fans! You made an absolutely clear point on why Damon won. You went over and over again why Damon is arrogant, evil, disrespectful, selfish and things like that (unlike Spike who was trying to do the impossible to be kind and worthy of love and respect). In short, you were constantly saying how BAD and evil Damon is compared to Spike. If that doesn’t prove Damon was more bad ass and the one to win the poll for a BAD BOY (not bad boy with morals, not bad boy trying to be good, not bad boy with remorse and will to change for the better), then I don’t know what makes sense at all. So, thank you for proving Damon was the true winner!

Comment by Hasmik – August 3, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • tube there. It look likes are Damon is win. I love Damon very much. I watch every show of the vampire daries every Thursday I think the vampire daries is so much better they Buffy the vampire Sayers show. Iam not hate I used to watched Buffy the vampire Sayers to yes I like that show to but I love the vampire show yes I do. I used to watch angel but like said I love the vampire daries show so much better.

Comment by angela steffen – August 3, 2012 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to Damon fans are we wonder is Elena going stay with Stefan or is see going to live Stefan to go with Damon what do we think about that. I guss we will see when season four comes out right. We will have to more mouth and they will began show I am soo happy I want to watch those shows so bad.

Comment by angela steffen – August 3, 2012 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How much do you want to bet that Ian himself was asking his fans to vote, while James did nothing of the sort? (I honestly don’t know; I do not follow Ian on Twitter.) In either case, look at the turnout of Spike fans. Buffy has been off the air for almost a decade, and yet Spike lost by 4% of the vote (when one does basic rounding). Not a bad turn out in the least. Will Damon be this memorable and popular 10ish years after TVD is off the air? I somehow doubt it.

Comment by Isis M. Nocturne (@Isis_Nocturne) – August 3, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Precisely. I follow James on his band’s blog and he made no mention of the poll. It’s possible he was completely unaware of it, but his fans were spreading the word on several different sites to go vote. Even after all this time, Spike has a large and active fan base, and like you said, I seriously doubt Damon will stand the test of time.

Comment by hulettwyo – August 3, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hands Down, Spike Is The Best! :) x

Comment by Dominique Francesca Amor – August 3, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Y lové you Spike

Comment by Fanny – August 4, 2012 04:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on!Damon!!

Comment by Lisa – August 5, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Damonn” <3 (:

Comment by MiChelle JacQuliNee! (@Michelle_Jaqi) – August 6, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Damon’.. The vampire Diaries” <3 :D

Comment by MiChelle JacQuliNee! (@Michelle_Jaqi) – August 6, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Spike the BEST!!!!!

Comment by Lyudmila – August 7, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damon is going to win this Damon is the bad ass. I love Damon very much I love the vampire daries show very much. I watch every show too Buffy the vampire Sayers and I watch every show of angel yea there show is good but the vampire daries show is better. I’m going with Damon all-day

Comment by angela – August 7, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like when peapole hate Damon.

Comment by angela steffen – August 7, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • spike!

Comment by Deanna – August 7, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am someone who has seen every episode of both BtVS and TVD. I have also read the TVD books and I know that they came first. I have enjoyed all of it and can honestly say that Spike is a better character than Damon. He has much more depth-his personality, his relationships with Angelus and the Whirlwind, as well as with Buffy and the Scoobies. The personal journey he took was much deeper than just his love for Buffy making him a better guy, which is the most significant aspect of Damon’s character, though with Elena. I enjoy TVD and Damon, but neither has any weight on Buffy or Spike. Buffy is a great show that explores just about any and every topic, particularly with growing up. TVD is pretty much just a love triangle between a girl and two vampires. The plot is gratingly slow and boring at times while BtVS was intriguing and smart.
    As for either actor copying the others character, Ian Somerhalder is on the record as saying that his performance on TVD is largely influenced, not by Spike, but by the character of Sawyer, who was portrayed by Josh Holloway on Lost. Ian starred as Boone Carlyle on Lost during its first season and recurred throughout the duration of the series. He remains a large fan of the show and reportedly has maintained some close relationships with some members of the large cast and crew. And will probably admit that Sawyer should’ve won this contest, hands down.

Comment by Emily – August 8, 2012 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, that a good point of view, and i agree

Comment by Euridicie – January 16, 2014 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • spike all the way!!!!! <spike3

Comment by gabby – August 17, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea spike hot and a bad ass but I am going with Damon I love Damon very much. I love the vampire daries show.

Comment by angela steffen – August 18, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn all you new comers! I love Damon, but Spike IS the original badass vampire hottie. He will ALWAYS be number 1. The only reason why Damon is winning is because he’s more well known nowadays. NOT because he’s better. :P

Comment by Katie – October 17, 2012 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ok so i just found this so i didn’t get to vote but i can still comment! i would vote for damon all the way! so i have been watching TVD longer.. seeing how i just discovered buffy this year..and became completely obsessed with the show. But damon wins…don’t really like spike.

Comment by bekkah – November 17, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPIKE is the best.

Comment by sophia – December 2, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love spick

Comment by zandrabevis – September 27, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry but dont like Damon, and TDV diaries show, someone who can walk during the day its not a vampire its a bad joke even if you have a stupid Stone…
    Spike is much better

Comment by Euridicie – January 16, 2014 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ha, as much as like Damon, Spike rules, all the lines they wrote for Damon hm bad copy of what they did for Spike, it is just not smart to compare this to, same as Elena and Buffy, when Buffy is more like kick ass hero, Elena is like Bella Swan want to be

Comment by sonya – April 4, 2014 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …and the eyebrow thing, and the smirk thing, and the smile thing, and the walk thing… and EVERYTHING!!!
    ^__^

Comment by I just love him... – August 1, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And the accent thing, and the cheekbone thing and the body thing, and I could keep going.

Comment by Renee – August 1, 2012 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL
    I’m glad you understood who I was talking of even if my first comment doen’t appear ^ ^
    maybe it’s because it had a link to an amazing youtube video :(
    anyway I said that Damon may have the eye thing but Spike has the tongue thing, and then I wanted to add some more but I forgot (sorry!!) to mention the accent and the cheekbone… and THE body! and yes: keep going, please XD

Comment by I just love him... – August 1, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and the tilting of the head thing, and the ” you can see all my feelings in my eyes thing”

Comment by Andreea – August 1, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post