Vampire Diaries' Damon Vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Spike in Bad-Boy Tourney Semifinals!

Get ready for a teeth-baring battle in the second Semifinal matchup of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament.

Today’s bout finds Damon Salvatore of The Vampire Diaries and Spike of Buffy the Vampire Slayer heading into the ring.

On Thursday, the last two men standing will duke it out in the Finale of our single-elimination tourney. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Line says:

Spike is just…he’s the best bad boy ever!!! <3

2. Neha says:

Damon Salvatore All The Way…!!
    <3 <3
    I jss love him…!

3. Andreea says:

I don’t understand…..how can 80%of the comments be in favor of Spike….and yet he is losing in the poll?…….stop making multiple votes TVD fangirls!!!!

• Danny says:

You can comment muliples times too don’t forget that! lol Go Damon

• Who's Damon? says:

Maybe because 80% of TVD fangirls have yet to learn how to write? LOL

• Max says:

Maybe because Buffy fans have nothing better to do with their time?

• Kelly says:

You obviously haven’t read our fanfiction. It’s better than the show itself. That is, Damon/Damon&Elena fanfiction.

• Who's Damon? says:

No, actually I haven’t and I will have to take your word for it.
          (It must be the 20% of TVD fangirls LOL)
          Anyway, just wanted to clarify: I didn’t mean that TVD fans are stupid or ignorant, I was joking on the fact that they are obviously younger than BTVS fans

• Who's Damon? says:

@Max. If you say that Buffy fans are commenting because they ‘have nothing better to do with their time’ and then you keep doing just the same (=commenting) sorry but this doesnt’t make your words look so intelligent ^ ^
        So,you can write and read… but can you understand what you write and read?

• Manie says:

Spike was winning by 10% at one point yesterday! And he’s back at winning today!

• KP says:

I think it’s only letting you vote once. They’re both just amazing characters. May the best bad boy win. ;)

4. frank says:

It js gat2 b damon salvatore!!!!d eye thing

5. Danny says:

DAMON ♥

6. rehabber says:

Spike was my first vampire love and even though Damon is in there, Spike will always come first.

7. Hasmik says:

I know how old school should feel about Spike, but hey, when did you watch Damon last? He’s awesome! And he’s fun! He’s got better looks than Spike and is more suave, actually! I’m going all the way with Damon.

• “He’s got better looks than Spike and is more suave,”
      YMMV on the looks – I find Spike more attractive and sexier – and some of us don’t like our men suave.

• Fanya says:

I totally agree! Yes, Damon is sexy and handsome and I can see that young girls could go for him but Spike is better looking AND sexier. It is like comparing a man with a boy. Let Damon’s fan’girls’ grow up and see if they still find Damon hotter than Spike :)

• Lena says:

a man to a boy? you do know ian somerhalder is 33, right?

• Fanya says:

And you do know that James Marsters is nearly 50, yes? and that he was 39 when he made the first appearance in BTVS and 44 at the end of the show? and also that in TVD damon salvatore is 23 years old? Why do you think they choose IS for the role?
            Apart from all this, it’s my opinion that Somerhalder (in TVD) looks and behaves as a boy, so yes, I confirm: it is like comparing a man with a boy.

• breeeeeee says:

james marsters is 40 something so whats your point?

• @Fanya: just a nitpick – James was 35 when he first appeared on the show, and 40 when it finished (41 when Angel finished, his last appearance as Spike).

• Fanya says:

oh sorry! I was considering the year the show was aired in my country. Or maybe I was just stoned… but not so much to vote for Damon LOL
            Still, it doesn’t change my point of view. If I look at Damon he appears to me as a boy while Spike is without doubt a MAN.
            And what a man ;D

8. Lauren says:

I can’t believe Spike is losing…is everyone here very stoned?

• Van says:

This literally made me laugh out loud. AWESOME :)

• Rachel says:

Omg I love this comment :)

• Jensen says:

LOL. I can only say a bunch of kids who’ve seen twilight and the vampire diaries but never buffy are voting. See comment by diana below.

• izzy says:

I’m 20, seen every episode of Buffy and Angel, despise Twilight and voted for Damon. Vampire Diaries has been around since ’91. It’s not just “kids” besides the audience is actually relatively old.

• Iris says:

Why are people always bring the books up? The whole WE HAD IT FIRST war. When obviously the show and the books share nothing in common besides the title. So people are voting for Damon because they read the books and are nostalgic? So TVD books actually started the vampire craze because it came out in first? Okay, let me hand you an award for being first because like this is the Olympics or something.

• Manie says:

And above that only the first (and maybe second) book were written before BtVs, so basically, Buffy still the cult!

• Izzy says:

My point wasn’t which came first. I don’t know why you thought that. I was only saying that it’s not kids that are voting for Damon. Like the people who grew up watching Buffy, I grew up reading the book and am by no means a kid.
            Who cares which came first, I’m just rebuffing the assumption that since the show came out in ’09, the audience is preteens or something. A lot of the audience came from book fans and as stated the books were first published in the early nineties.

• my opinion is right, and yours is wrong says:

who cares? this isn’t damon from the books, it’s damon from the show. spike is badder and better than both the damons though…

• your name is stupid, like your comment says:

Have you read the books? The two Damons are very similar with very minor changes (like age and country of origin.)
            And opinions can’t be right or wrong, you do realize that right?

• Emilia says:

I beg to differ. I do not think the large Damon fanbase is because of the books. I also know many who are fans of the books but not the show because of the great differences between those two. In fact I know many who got into the show first that decided to read the books(myself included) because we didn’t grow up with the books. The general consensus me and my friends have is the show is better. The conclusion is fans of the books are fans of the books while fans of the show are fans of the show. They do not overlap, if any hardly. So, using the vampire diaries book fans as the reason why the vampire diaries show fanbase is louder/bigger just does not work. If this were about Damon from the books, my vote would have gone towards him. He was one of te better aspects of the books. He was dark and sinister. The absolute bad boy.

• A. says:

Best comment.

• Renee says:

That’s the best comment I’ve heard all day.

• Anona says:

This is comment GOLD! I <3 you!

It will be a TRAVESTY if Spike doesn't take the whole damn thing!

9. Jessica says:

My vote goes to Damon:)

10. Van says:

My two favorite shows and my two favorite bad boys. Well them and Pacey. I had to go Spike though! Buffy will always be my favorite show ever. I am actually really surprised Spike is trailing.

11. Eugenia says:

This is definitely a hard choice! I don’t want to decide by looks because that’s not the category… yet I don’t know how else to do it, since they both rank pretty much the same level of “bad boy” to me!! they’re completely tied to me right now, exept in the “hotness” department, and there it would win Damon…

12. Manie says:

I can’t believe people are voting for Damon for his looks… Seriously, look at the criteria! fangirls… *sighs*

• izzy says:

No one’s doing that. Maybe you’re just superficial but barely anyone’s voting based on looks. And the ones that are include Spike fans. James Masters is hardly unattractive.

• Manie says:

I was complaining, I didn’t vote for Spike for his look. Clearly not, I vote for him because character wise he is a more complete character. But look at the comment, most girls (young ones) are voting for Damon because it’s Ian.

• izzy says:

Some are, definitely. But then you also have the people saying how much more sex appeal James has as a reason to vote for him. I also saw because James is a “man” and Ian’s a “boy” as someone’s reasoning for voting for Spike. But considering the number of votes for each, it’s hardly a large number. Just ignore the stupid people, they are everywhere, of every age and in every fandom.

• William says:

James marsters IS ATTRACTIVE maybe you’re just too young to look him pretty because he’s a man you a little girl u_u stupid

• izzy says:

I’m not a little girl and if you couldn’t tell my “James is hardly unattractive” was implying that he’s really attractive, just as much as Ian. Haha, are you looking for reasons to fight? My entire post was saying that James is just as attractive as Ian so saying that people are voting for Damon because of his looks is a stupid assumption. That’s why I say that I think people could also vote for Spike based on looks. Because James Marsters is incredibly attractive.
          And what the hell is “look him pretty”?
          “u_u stupid”

13. TigerNightmare says:

Looks like the odd presence of the CW fanbase is here once again to take over. If only Joss was petty enough to rally the Buffy fanbase through social media for this meaningless, heartbreaking loss.

• izzy says:

1) The CW is a network and does not have a fanbase, Vampire Diaries does but not the CW as a whole. 2) Showrunners Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson (the TVD equivalent of Joss) are hardly rallying anyone. 3) Your assumptions about why Damon is (currently but it changes every second) winning are baseless

• TigerNightmare says:

You’re reading into things I didn’t even say. Secondly, The CW does have a base of (mostly) young teenage girls and their shows are a success or failure based on the attention of their base. Therefore, fans of the show represent a fanbase.

I’m not the only one who just thinks it’s just weird that fans of certain CW shows are so present on this website. The CW has the lowest ratings of all the terrestrial broadcast networks, even lower than NBC, not because of quality or competition being that much better, but because of logistics in the station being known or available in the same markets as the big four. Just look at what the ratings the antiquated Nielsens show. The season finale for Vampire Diaries season finale had 2.5 million total viewers while the season finale for Justified had 2.67 million viewers. And yet, Raylan was still beaten by Damon in a landslide victory. My people are clearly being underrepresented while TVD fans are being overrepresented. I can’t begin to understand what’s going on here. But like I said, this is all meaningless anyway.

14. Emma says:

I freakin love Spike but i’m gonna go with Damon on this one

15. diana says:

Tweet keep Damon in the lead he is way way better then spike vd story line is way better then buffy too and spikes time is over that show is over its Damon’s turn ;) vote Damon Damon is the ultimate bad boy to be a bad boy you have to be sexy too ;) and spike is Yuck!

16. J says:

There is just no doubt that Spike should win.

17. jenn says:

I love damon, i voted for Damon, and i will always vote for Damon
    damon 4ever 10000000% at Damon

18. Get. Over. It! says:

Oh, come on everybody who keeps talking about angel! You are boring just as he is LOL
    Spike will always beat Angel because he is best and always will be… so please, get over it!

19. Someone says:

None of this counts, I demand they put Tyrion back in the race since he won his bracket!

20. Jen says:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

21. Patty says:

I´m a huge Spike fan, in fact I started watching Buffy because of him, but my vote is for Damon in the bad boy category, I enjoy watching him when he is bad, more than when he tried to be good… I just hope he returns next season being bad again! :) It´s just a better story in my opinion!

22. dude says:

Damon, Spike is just awful.

• William says:

You are just jalous u_u

• izzy says:

Jealous*
        And no, maybe they’re just not into the whole attempted to rape Buffy thing. Or his character in general. Seriously, are you 8? You can’t spell and you make horrible, senseless points. There goes the assumption that all the Buffy fans are more mature and older.

23. han banan says:

DAMON DAMON DAMON DAMON DAMON! LOVE HIM!!!!

24. Louise Marie says:

I predict a finale between Matt Bomer and Ian Somerhalder – and I will not be able to choose between those two!

25. Fanya says:

There will never be a show better than BTVS or a character better than Spike.

26. Reward says:

Is Damon winning vs Spike? Oh Godw, I can’t believe. Girls, this is not teen Choise awards. -.-
    Here, we have to vote the bad-boy not the most beautiful -.-

• Reward says:

*believe it.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Halley says:

Many people who aren’t teens and are not voting based on looks are voting for Damon. You can’t accept your favorite isn’t winning so you come up with stupid, irrelevant reasons.

• Reward says:

Exactly, I can’t accept it because it seems absurd that Damon Salvatore – a vampire who CRIES, which kills only because Elena is evil with him – is beating Spike.
        You’s been so polite with that “stupid and irrelevant”! How old are you? 12? If someone can not accept criticism of his idol, you are, sweetheart!

• Reward says:

You’ve*

• Halley says:

I’m 21. I said that because you’re making stupid assumptions just because your favorite isn’t winning and you can’t comprehend why. I’m not voting on looks nor are most people. And your assumptions are juvenile, you sure you’re not 12? Also, politeness is not indicative of age.
          “which kills only because Elena is evil with him ” what does that even mean? It makes no sense logically or grammatically.
          I’m not even talking about criticism of my “idol” just your stupidity in assuming things that obviously you have no way of knowing (like the age and reasoning of the majority of voters.) Did you read my comment?

• Reward says:

Is it so hard to understand I’m not American? ;)
            So, am I stupid because I think many people vote Damon for his look? Wow. You have a great concept of stupidity. Congratulations ;)
            If you’ve voted Damon because you like him … well, there was no need to answer me.
            You’re 21, I’m sure of it!

27. Dasha says:

Angel(us) is the best the rest is just blah.
    Original broody, dark, dangerous and sexy vampire <3

28. I says:

Voted for Spike … But I WOULD LOOOOVE IF Damon won ! <3<3<3 Them BOTH so much ! ! ! How could you make me choose ! Feel like such a traitor :(

29. Fenixjpb says:

SPIKE!!! He is the original big bad that changes for love. Damon is a copy of him. As Stefan is a copy of Angel. Spike was the first badass ,sexy vampire.no Damon. Damon just looks like Spike in season 2 of BTVS. Spike was who kill 2 slayers and he took his soul back for the love of Buffy. SPIKE TEAM! The original sexy vampire!

30. Tiffany says:

I have loved Spike since for eleven years! SPIKE ALL THE WAY! <3333

31. cil_domney says:

Remember – this is not a bloody “male hotness” competition – this is about the most powerful and compelling character – and Spike has had by far the most powerful, intellectually stimulating, dramatic and mythic metaphor in TV and film. Spike has it all and reflects a grand story of humanity in all its assets.

Spike’s story is about finding the strengths and quality to become what is great and good in our lives and how to control and overcome the darkness that we all have in ourselves. And this has absolutely nothing to do with how handsome or beautiful Spike or Damon are.

• Jenn says:

This is not the “most powerful and compelling” character. It’s the ultimate bad boy contest. That’s why I voted for Damon because he’s what I think a bad boy should be. To me, he’s the quintessential bad boy since 1991!
      Ignore the superficial people, no one thinks it’s a hotness contest just some people want to say that why people aren’t voting their way.

• just saying says:

the most powerful and compelling bad boy is spike. the badder bad boy is spike. spike just beats damon in everything, why do you keep commenting? nobody cares

• Jenn says:

Spike can’t beat Damon in a personal opinion contest. The question is simply “which do you prefer” not “who is better.”
          I keep commenting because last time I checked, I’m free to spend my time doing whatever I want. Just as you are.
          “Nobody cares”? Then why are you responding?

32. Bruna says:

não existe ninguém a altura de Damon Salvatore pra compara!ele é e sempre será melhor que qualquer um!

33. bailey says:

damon all the way he is so hot

34. bailey says:

damon is so hot i could just die for him i wanna marry him my vote goes to him i love damon

35. Aprilcot says:

Easy…Spike. How is he not winning this?! He should win the entire competition!

36. damian says:

What the hell’s going on?! 90% of comments basically say “I voted Spike!!” but Damon is winning… This is outrageous!

• Sarah says:

You can only vote once but you can comment however many times you want.Besides, not everyone who votes, comments. Comments aren’t indicative of the amount or type of voters- just the more vocal ones.

37. Jamie says:

COME ON SPIKE!! Original bad boy! Love that man!!!

38. nellycooke@hotmail.co.uk says:

What The F!!

Whats wrong with you people! Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the BEST show ever created.

Spike should win 100%

You mental tw*ts

39. Jhem says:

I’m from the generation of TVD, and like many other people my age, I do watch the show. Like many other teen girls my age, I do find Ian and his character, Damon, entertaining and attractive.
    However, after watching Buffy (thank you Netflix) I’ve discovered Joss Whedon’s genius and the fantastic world he created. To be honest, in terms of the tv show, I kind of think that Damon is a Spike rip-off. Damon’s sarcastic comments, and bad boy actions eerily resemble Spike and his character.
    Also, considering that BtVS managed to convert me, 15 year old girl, I think that should say something about the characters. I read (back when I was ridiculously OBSESSED with TVD) in an article that the writers of TVD show actually ask themselves WWJWD: “What would Joss Whedon do?” (I think this is pretty interesting).

In conclusion (and to end my rambling), I’m all for Spike. The fact that he’s still relevant and entertaining even today, is pretty badass. :D

40. We want Spike back! says:

Biggest difference between the two characters is that while Damon is popular, Spike is a mith. He is one of a kind and awesome and inimitable.
    Please, TVD fans, if you haven’t already, go watch Buffy. No offence for the vampire diaries, that I find it’s an entertaining show, but BTVS is just another world. And so is Spike.

41. Charlotte says:

LOL, DAMON, REALLY? DON’T MAKE ME LAUGH. Spike <3

42. Sally says:

Once Eliot and Jax were out, it was Spike all the way for me!

43. WHAT =) says:

HELL YESSS THANKS TO TUMBLR I GOT A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AND NOW SPIKE’S WINNING Y’ALL CAN THANK ME =)

44. Spike, hands down.

There’s no competition in this, seriously.I might have considered Damon in S1 back then when he was interesting, but current Damon is pathetic misogynist crybaby.

Spike on other hand never stopped being fracking awesome.

45. A. says:

I had such a hard time with this, because while The Vampire Diaries is my guiltiest pleasure, I watched Buffy while it aired and still love it. Not only that, but Spike was my favorite male character on the show. I think the reason I like Damon so much is because he reminds me of Spike, only IMO Ian isn’t as good of an actor and Damon isn’t as funny. I ended up picking Spike.

46. SusanMarieR says:

I’d have to go WhedonVerse spike. Although once TVD’s series is over I’m sure there will be more of a struggle.

47. steph says:

really? really? spike should be winning by more! come on guys, vote spike!

48. m.cookie says:

Spike for sure. Cause if you think about it..Damon is a COPY of Spike.
    He came to town to be with the woman he loved for a100 years. Then he founds out she will alwys love his sire/brother more.. then he falls for the chocen one… Its almost the same story…

• correction: A FAILED copy.

Plec tried to take Damon and make him into “next Spike”. The result was a pathetic failure sadly

• Jane says:

In an interview, JP said if anything, Damon was like the Buffy of TVD. *Shrug*

• That is if Buffy was an one-note misogynist male serial killer. Since she is not, so…

• Riza says:

Oh no, not you! Borednow, why are you everyone commenting your negativity?! “Oh my god, Vampire Diaries sucks but I’ll comment on every post about it anyway!” “Caroline is the only thing good about the Vampire Diaries but I’ll still spend all my time commenting on how much I hate everything else about it!” Seriously?
            Haven’t we established that Damon came before Spike and wasn’t a copy anyway?
            Funny you call Damon and misogynist but only one of these two characters attempted to rape his love interest and Spike, not a serial character? I thought you watched Buffy.

• Spike tried to rape Buffy, sure, but he was horrified by the event and changed as a person because of it,becoming someone who would NEVER try to do that again.

Damon CONTINUOUSLY raped and abused andie and caroline and show still continuously ignores it.

Book Damon is pretty much nothing like TV Show Damon. Its clear that Plec tried to “turn him into Spike”, but since Plec’s writing is at fanfiction-level of quality, she failed.

• I cringed on that statement that woman is as delusional as Stephanie Meyer.

• Kitty, I hate you but he’s right lol

49. marisol says:

SPIKE ALL THE WAY!!!

50. chad says:

It really just comes down to this: Did Damon break out into song in a graveyard? Spike all the way.