Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Meet the New Girls!

Becca Tobin Melissa Benoist GleeGlee‘s freshman class is expanding.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Homeland actress Melissa Benoist (pictured, on left) and relative newcomer Becca Tobin are joining the show’s Season 4 cast.

Benoist and Tobin will play new McKinley students Marley and Kitty, respectively. Both roles are recurring.

RELATED | Lea Michele Opens Up About Finn’s ‘Persistent’ New Glee Rival: ‘Rachel Is One Lucky Girl’

The duo join fellow Glee rookies Dean Geyer and Jacob Artist.

Glee launches its fourth season on Thursday, Sept. 13.

1. Water says:

Um, hey guys. Who the hell cares about them being white? I mean, if you don’t like glee, why pay attention to this? How do you know the director doesn’t have stories for them? Something they could be struggling with. Don’t get all offended cause there “skinny white girls.”
    Yeah, I admit glee focuses a lot on Rachel, but that’s what her characters about. There’s so much diversity in this. Open your eyes. Glee tells stories from different perspectives, sure it might focus a lot on one thing, but it shows many others. From Santana struggling with her sexuality and Kurt being bullied for his. To Mercedes feeling self-conscious and unappreciated. To relationship problems. To accomplishing your dreams. To standing up for yourself, for others, for what you believe in. This show has helped so many people and brought joy to so many. So many other topics too.
    Shows have many different characters, and, hello? A part of a show is letting go and recasting actors/actresses. Stop complaining about the show, and realize that just cause it may seem stupid or something to you, it means a whole different thing to someone else. Don’t compare glee to another show. Degrassi? I mean, really. Degrassi goes very, very in depth with some situations. Its a whole different story line. Get over it. Glee is a great show, if you don’t like it, don’t pay attention too it.

2. Leah says:

Judging by these comments, “Gleeks” is a misnomer. “Lima Losers” would be more appropriate.

3. n says:

I’m sure they’ll be great as all the people they’ve cast on the show the past seasons. People always react so negatively. For all we know they’re awesome performers and here you are hating on them without giving them a chance.

4. Fernanda says:

They look like an Ohio version of Blair and Serena. Did you know that Lea Michele loved Gossip Girl back then when she was on Spring Awakening?. I agreed about we can follow Rachel and Kurt forever. If the producers want to keep Glee alive, they must stay in Ohio with a new group of kids every year, but if that happens, Glee could move to other network like ABC family or CW. Let’s face it, Glee is a hit on FOX, in other network it’ll just be another more teen show.
    Maybe, if the show focus only in Will, there won’t be a problem, but the younger cast become so popular therefore the show will continue follow the steps of Rachel and company

5. Ash says:

DO NOT WANT.

6. OMG. EVERYONE: shut up with “oh their white” “they only got it cuz their hot” STOP being fricken judgmental and just wait and see what happens, just SHUT UP!

7. Paige Worthington says:

i would of preferred watching nellie every week, but know ryan had to kick out the best person on the glee project again!!!

8. Freshman?! They’re supposed to be freshman?! Yeah right. Lol, they’re pretty girls, but I think maybe Ryan should try getting girls that actually look like freshman haha.

9. Em says:

I think these girls look great. The show is still diverse and you never know what the characters will be like.

10. Chloe says:

I want to say that 1) people need to stop judging the show before it airs 2) stop saying they don’t have enough diversity, I mean you can have diversity outside of race and they live in Lima Ohio, not the most diverse place in the world 3) you need to stop criticizing the show for the way it is written because it’s one of this things where you have to know how to enjoy it for what it is. 4) the show is written in the first place because they want all people to be able to relate to something on tv, not all categories have been covered yet. For all we know the 2 girls could have eating disorders or be depressed or not have a great home life, all of these things have not been covered (exept slightly depression) and are very common issues (sadly). Stop looking and saying, oh more white, skinny, pretty girls. That is all I have to say.

11. Becca says:

I heard Jessica Sanchez from American idol is going to be on glee. If that’s true, I’m super excited! Also.. all you people saying it’s not diverse anymore are crazy. What do you want them to do, make the whole glee choir room black/asian/latino? That’s just as racist as an all white classroom. But wait.. the classroom isn’t all white… Hmmmmmmmmmmm….. ?

12. Sheryl says:

Don’t really care that much about other casts as long as Santana Lopez is on the show. She’s a shining star! #wanky

13. Sabs says:

well, I guess we needed cheerleaders…

14. Cheryl says:

I wish Glee had stopped after Season 1. That season was why Glee became so popular anyway. It’s not the show for the underdogs anymore. It just keeps raising social issues and has become overtly preachy. There are way too many characters and guest characters and so on.
    And Homosexuality, the more you talk about it, the bigger deal its gonna be than it actually is. I think that we’ve reached a point where homosexuality is normal, and homosexuals are an equal and successful part of the society.
    Also, the continuity should be maintained.

Glee is a brilliant idea, with very poor execution.

15. holly says:

wow this article was totally informative and totally not a waste of time
    *wink wink nudge nudge*
    hehe ;P

16. j says:

I hope they would bring good comedy to Glee

17. ahmad says:

how many stars can the show have
    it was already a mess in the last few episode , we could hardly notice anyone
    thought it would be better once the big ones go out

,, but now they are staying
    and they are adding like 6 news characters WTF

18. Jazmine says:

People have a right to be upset about the lack of diversity in tv shows. Even glee, everyone keeps saying come on there’s a fat black girl, an Asian girl, and a Latin girl! Meanwhile, there are over 10 main white student characters, and that’s not even including the 4 main white teachers. The show has an extremely white majority despite its token ethnic characters who are NEVER focused on the same level as the white students at all. Everyone defending the choice to hire more white characters for the show has been saturated and exposed to the white majority in media for so long they can’t even see how ridiculous the whole thing is. Having 20 white characters and 4 ethnic characters is hardly diversity….lol

19. lovesglee says:

I don’t wanna get involved in the Diversity fights. All I can is, IMO, ashley and amber were fat (or big) idk, I just fat is somehow rude. Amber was black. Now they’re both gone. It’s not about race or size, but their characters bring hope to other girls like them out there. Amber danced her butt off. So to get Two New *size 2* girls is not really what the show is about. They are the definition of “Popular Girls”, not underdogs. At least if they cast 1 fat chick, even if she’s white. That’s just my opinion. Please don’t bite my head off

20. Amy says:

Yeah….. Nellie from The Glee Project would still have been a better choice.

21. Brix says:

First off, true Gleeks would be excited about the new season because honestly you never know what’s going to happen until it happens. And I’m not ashamed to say that I’m a Rachel Berry enthusiast. I’m so glad they decided to follow her to NYADA. They can’t just leave her and Finn’s relationship the way it ended last season, which had me crying for days btw. I have feeling that the new characters are going to be great! Who cares about race? It’s 2012 people, move on. And Ryan Murphy can do what he wants to the show simply because it’s his show whether you like it or not. And all the comments about these girls being “too pretty”, well do you want to watch a tv show with a cast full of undesirables? No, you would not. And if they were “average” looking, I can guarantee that would be the topic of discussion and how they should cast more attractive people. And furthermore, Glee is about the music. The one thing that binds everyone together no matter what an individuals background may be. The characters and their back stories are just an added bonus. One thing I do know, I’ll be watching Gled until the series ends.

22. hannah says:

FYI, just because they look pretty in their head shots, that doesn’t mean they’re going to be “”stereotypical pretty white girls”” on the show.

23. dude says:

10 bucks the blonde is a love interest for Sam. Knowing how they treated newbies last season on the show. These girls will be lucky to have a line an episode and I say amen to that.

24. Bonnie says:

I personally can not wait for Glee to come back. I have been reading alot here, some people love it and others could do without it or pick it apart! Like everything in life you learn to take what you like and ignore the rest, I am a mother of four girl. Two of the four and myself love the show and then other two would never watch it! Everyone is different. I also have watched degrassi and introduced it to my eldest when Emma was (becoming a woman ) all four daughter love the show and have ran into the stars while out around the city ! Just saying everyone is different!

25. Beedaqg says:

LOOK if u r all gleeks stop hatein’ and enjoy the show!!

26. maxx says:

the original glee – miss them soooooooooo much. the original cast are the best. glee will not be the same anymore.. Hope they still have FINCHEL<3<3<3

27. Ale says:

I’m disappointed.
    I don’t get it ,ryan murphy has a spin-off competition show :the glee project,where he have really talented guys,most of the fans from glee like the contestants, so why can’t he just add them and write cool story lines for them?,instead of looking for people in other places.
    I Don’t hate the new ones,and i’m not against the idea of adding girls to ND,because they actually need girls,but i know Glee needs a good rating for a new season,and if you have another show that has a good rating,because of the people that are on it,knowing that they could work on the show and get that ? i still don’t know why he’s looking in other places…

28. nina says:

oh, gleeks. why you even bother to watch this show if all you do is complain and complain and complain…… smh. just sit back and watch and relax and get a life.

29. Kelly says:

I’ll tell ya all of you who are saying glee is not diverse take another look your just all jealous that your not on The show . You can say your not gonna watch serious 4 but your be at home in front of your tv the night it starts with your big bar chocolate and cans of coke . Im a massive fan god would love it no matter wat

30. dude says:

Just in case yall didn’t know, the brunette one is in those Tampax Radiant commericals. So…there’s that.

31. GleekFan says:

What I don’t get is why they keep casting these guys when they could’ve just cast somebody from The Glee Project contenders. I mean, they’ve gone through a lot more than these newly-casted people. Just Sayin’

32. Molly says:

I just got my popcorn lol. Just so long as Blaine’s there I don’t really care.

33. Paula alvarado says:

Okay, I just wait that “Becca”, not replace my love ”Dianna Agron” as Quinn The Bitch Cheerleader Fabray♥’
    Is my favorite character in the glee cast, she is just amazing

34. real posts for you says:

Lima Ohio. We don’t want no darkies, gays, or Jews!! Stay out!!

35. hahahahaha whites win again says:

nobody wants to look at fat people, homos, are worse yet blacks!!!!! even the Jew producers have figured that out!

36. An impressive share, I simply with all this onto a colleague who was simply performing a small analysis on this. And then he the truth is bought me breakfast because I ran across it for him.. smile. So allow me to reword that: Thnx for that treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending plenty of time to discuss this, I believe strongly about it and enjoy reading much more about this topic. If possible, as you grow expertise, would you mind updating your website with an increase of details It is extremely ideal for me. Huge thumb up in this writing!