Mary-Louise Parker on Weeds Series Finale: 'It's Not a Happily Ever After'

Get More: News, Previews

Mary-Louise Parker WeedsThe first review of Weeds‘ Sept. 16 series finale is in, and it’s a rave.

“It’s beautiful… I just cried when I read [the script],” leading lady Mary-Louise Parker told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills. “[Series creator Jenji Kohan] managed to bring things together in a way that was really satisfying to me. She didn’t make it a ‘happily ever after’ thing, but there was hope in it and there was some sort of benediction.”

Kohan described the conclusion of the Showtime dramedy as less of a cliffhanger and more of a nostalgic wrap-up to the eight-year saga.

“It’s a trip down memory lane,” she said, “and it’s lined with all of our characters from the past.”

Comments (18)

• I can’t wait. I’m so excited to see how one of my favorite shows is going to wrap up.

Comment by Rrrrrr – July 30, 2012 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Celia???

Comment by daveed – July 30, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by TJ – July 30, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry nope, she’s not in it. I was personally disappointed by the ending. I thought it could of just ended with Andy leaving her where her husband died or played more on that.

Comment by Nick – September 16, 2012 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope they bring back Celia and Conrad. Also hoping they kill Jill in the next ep.

Comment by bob – July 30, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aw but what would life be without Jill? Haha!

Comment by Ari – July 30, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Conrad will be back, this is pretty much confirmed. But Elizabeth Perkins will not be returning.

Comment by Bobby – July 30, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Celia, Isabel & Conrad need to be there. I always thought Conrad and Nancy would have been good together.

Comment by rebecca – July 30, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That scene when Andy finds out about Jill and Doug in the hallway was amazing.

Comment by Pat D. – July 30, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • would be amazing to get elizabeth perkins back, weeds hasn’t been the same since celia left

Comment by Jake – July 30, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have loved (and hated) Weeds over the years and hope they make the ending realistic. I’m glad there will be no “happy endings” as Nancy is a DRUG DEALER!!!!!!! She is privileged and (at times) extremely annoying and I LOVE the show. I just want it to end realistically.

Comment by Crystal – July 31, 2012 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jenji and Mary-Louise had Me with Nancy’s very first smile sitting there watching Shane on the soccer field, and it’s been one Helluva AWESOME ride, every turn of the way…

Comment by Buddy – August 22, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cannot wait. will hate to see it go. :(

Comment by larissa – September 2, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kind of sad its done love that show,going to miss it but hope the finnally show is worth the wait.

Comment by christine – September 5, 2012 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw the finale tonight and I was very disappointed. The 11 or so year leap into the future left too many unanswered questions that left me guessing about too many things. It left off the marriage of Nancy and the Rabbi and he was already dead by this show. And it was not realistic to think that such a close knit family had hardly seen each other for 11 years but come together for the bar mitzvah for Stevie who as an older child really didn’t do the part justice. I wanted a happy ending for Nancy since she had suffered a lot over the years but still kept her family together and nurtured them. That was her and she didn’t need to find herself as Andy suggests at the end..she already had. She had a role in life as wife and mother and she was good at it, despite the years of weed selling, Celia was left out as well as Conrad but other less integral characters were there like Josh, Doug’s gay son.

After watching from the first episode for 8 years I feel cheated with this ending, What happens to Nancy now; I want an answer.

Comment by Maureen – September 17, 2012 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was the worst episode ever. I have watched every episode from the very begining and never turned it off. I couldnt watch the full thing and shut off at the midwat point. Anyone who has it on their DVR should just delete it.

Comment by Dont Know – September 17, 2012 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THis show was my therapy for so long. Loved every single minute. thanks jenji for giving me an outlet for tears laughter and for giving me an escape from my own hot mess of a life. I am so thankful foe each and every epidsode. I will treasure this series for the rest of my life. as for the finale sure there are unswered questions and alot of skipped time but it showed how much strength nancy had and i will use that to keep going. Is there life after weeds? I wish i knew…

Comment by The other nancy botwin – September 17, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I usually hate serie finales… Things always end with weddings, children, perfect relations, things finally settling down blabladibla…
    So my doom scenario was that it ended with Silas marrying the deaf girl, nancy marrying Andy or Conrad, settling down in Agresitc, live happily ever after etc… I also was afraid that it would be an episode rammed full with short storylines to tie all the loose ends…
    I don’t know if it was my low expectations, but i actually loved the ending!
    It shows the family and the main characters (from the past) in the future. All the main grudge is dissolved, but is doesn’t end with a cliche happy ending. It shows the struggle, the love, the resentmen, and chaos of the family Botwin is stilling going on. The finale suggests hope for a happy ending, but it doesn’t show it and that’s what i loved about it. It wasn’t too melodramatic and still funny. A finale worth while watching!

Comment by Evert-Jan – September 17, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post