Gossip Girl's Chuck Bass Vs. White Collar's Neal Caffrey: Bad-Boy Semifinals Begin!

We started with 64 players, but the Semifinals of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament feature just four rugged survivors.

Our first Semifinal matchup finds Chuck Bass of Gossip Girl and Neal Caffrey of White Collar heading into the ring.

Tomorrow, we’ll kick off a second Semifinal bout, and on Thursday, the last two men standing will duke it out in the Finale of our single-elimination tourney. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

Comments (145)

• Neal Caffrey. Because.

Comment by Laura Michel (@Laul0w) – July 30, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adore Chuck- never seen White Collar, but I might have to now.

Comment by Maria – July 30, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have been a GG fan since the books first came out and live the TV Chuck…but you most definitely need to see White Collar!

Comment by foxy – July 30, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, you have to see Neal in action. This still photo doesn’t do him justice. Yummy!

Comment by Sarah – July 31, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal forevah! Chuck is a decent bad boy, but Neal has way more charm (and better fashion sense!)

Comment by Sam – July 30, 2012 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chuck has awesome fashion sense!!

Comment by Elise – July 31, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still can’t believe that Barney lost out to a CW show, but at least I don’t have to choose between he and Neal! Caffrey all the way now!

Comment by SD – July 30, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He didn’t lose, they messed up.

Comment by Someone – July 30, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes they did. By putting him in at all. Not a bad boy, just promiscuous.

Comment by tripoli – July 30, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass

Comment by Willa – July 30, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The final four is without Dean. This just proves further that the Winchesters just can’t catch a break.

Comment by Tricia – July 30, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I don’t really see how we made it to the final four without Raylan, Dean, or Sawyer…there is something seriously wrong with the electorate on this site…

But now, no conflict: Neal for the win.

Comment by heather_kaye – July 30, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Heather, I cannot agree more on all counts.

Comment by rowan77 – July 30, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Raylan and Dean are both good guys at the end of the day who, on occasion, make some rebellious choices; they aren’t really bad boys. Neil Caffrey is a thief and always will be a thief. While he does good things, at the end of the day, he is still a thief and a bad boy. Chuck Bass, even though I don’t like him or Gossip Girl all that much, is a bad boy through and through.

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • A bad boy is not necessarily a bad guy.

Comment by damian – July 31, 2012 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I didn’t say that a bad boy NEEDS to be a bad guy. I just think that Neil and Chuck more apply fit the definition.

Comment by Michael – July 31, 2012 11:01 PM PDT
    • If you want a poll that Supernatural will win, go to E.

Comment by Sara – July 30, 2012 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! I can’t believe Dean isn’t in the top 4. I love Neal (beautiful!) But Dean could kick Neal’s butt a hundred different ways. But now that Dean’s out Neal all the way!

Comment by Faith – August 2, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is ridiculous. Dean literally tortured souls in Hell for ten years and he’s not bad enough for you? :P

Comment by Liv – August 2, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So easy. Neal all the way. Bass is a DBag.

Comment by Rebecca – July 30, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never watched the show but he just looks slimy.

Comment by Deena – July 30, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal >>>>>>>>> Boring Bass

Comment by Sara – July 30, 2012 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass

Comment by sarah l – July 30, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal Caffrey is better than Chuck Bass. For sure. Even if I never seen White Collar.

Comment by -blackmail (@OnceUponATeddy) – July 30, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i watch both shows and Neal has my vote. no contest!

Comment by Elyse – July 30, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i watch both shows and Chuck has my vote. no contest! ;)

Comment by Anna – July 30, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • too bad he’s losing :)

Comment by Elyse – July 31, 2012 04:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He laughs, who laughs last ;)

Comment by Anna – August 1, 2012 08:33 AM PDT
  • Neal allllll the way.

Comment by Elyse – July 30, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal, most definitely.

Comment by Michele – July 30, 2012 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me? Neal!!!

Comment by Marika – July 30, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck! Because he’s Chuck Bass!

Comment by I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) – July 30, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand… How the hell did Dean and Barney lose? This makes me so sad. Though ill be pissed if Neal loses to the douche from gossip girl.

Comment by Becca – July 30, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t watch White Collar but voted for Bomer in sheer annoyance of how annoying Bass/Westwick and all the crazy fans are.

Comment by tripoli – July 30, 2012 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EXACTLY. I can’t believe Pacey AND Barney lost to him – they were slightly rebellious characters with hearts of gold. Chuck Bass is just … a complete scumbag. I have never seen White Collar but ANYONE would be a better choice (short of a serial killer or actual rapist – since Chuck is “only” an attempted rapist after all *eyefreakinrollhere*).

Comment by Serena – July 30, 2012 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • *correction: Pacey and Barney ARE slightly rebellious characters with hearts of gold – since DC will live on in my DVD set indefinitely and HIMYM is still on…

Comment by Serena – July 30, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Completely agree. I only watched the first episode of Gossip Girl for K Bell and didn’t really get into it. But I’ll never forget how Chuck Bass tried to rape like three different girls. I’ll still vote for Spike cause, after the incident, he went through a demon gauntlet just to kill that part of himself.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 31, 2012 01:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, and Spike & Damon are VAMPIRES … so inherently, they are literally bloodsuckers (I know there are “good” vs. “bad” vampires, but still… vampires. lol). Chuck really has no justification for his behaviour (Mommy/Daddy issues do not count – almost every character on television has them!). Anyways, yay, Neal wins :)

Comment by Serena – August 1, 2012 01:03 PM PDT
  • If it comes down to Neal vs. Spike, I don’t know how I’ll choose. Oh, who am I kidding, I have to go with Spike, but it will hurt a little. Neal is awesome, but Spike has a far more torturous path to redemption – plus he has a British accent. And killer cheekbones. And an adorable head tilt. Sorry, Neal.

Comment by Katie Hart (@waterfallbooks) – July 30, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would like to work full-time as Ian Somerhalder’s fluffer, but Spike wins hands down for me. Always Spike.

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My Chuck Bass!!

Comment by hithere – July 30, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who cares? no one on the left side of the bracket is going to beat either of the vamps on the right.

Comment by KS – July 30, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck effing Bass :))

Comment by dtse – July 30, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Bass. THE LEGEND.

Comment by Nikki – July 30, 2012 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this will come down to Neal (because, duh, charming Neal > creepy Chuck) vs. either Damon or Spike? Interesting.

Comment by Ace – July 30, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you check the whole bracket, it says that Barney beat chuck by like 10%. What the hell, tvline?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Comment by Lena – July 30, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I noticed that also. I demand they fix it! Barney gets my vote!

Comment by Someone – July 30, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re reading it wrong. The percentage is for the previous outcome. The 62.9% for Barney was against House.

Comment by Troy – July 30, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Now it makes sense. I was looking at the bracket and the a lot of the percentages went over 100%, and I thought someone messed up. Thanks for making it clear!

Comment by Hannah – July 30, 2012 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still remember a Chuck “excuse” from season one “I’m Chuck Bass”. Nothing more need ever be said.

Comment by Jennifer – July 30, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad that the moderator of these polls keep dropping the ball when it comes to sticking with poll timing. The previous poll with Dean vs. Neal had Dean up by 5 points at polls end, which should have been 12:57 PM PDT. Unfortunately, that poll was allowed to continue for at least 3 hours after the 48 hour mark and Neal ended up winning. Have seen similar comments posted by others in the various polls.

I find these polls to be fun, but it is frustrating when, in certain contests like the one between Dean and Neal, does not reflect the actual contest win. If you don’t have the time to monitor or oversee the polls, why start them in the first place?

Comment by Bad Polling – July 30, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just for fun….lighten up for goodness sake. Sleazek can’t be exactly on time all the time for these.

Comment by Jac – July 30, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Commenter said he found them fun. He just expressed furstration when the polls are not accurate with time. If Sleazek can’t be exactly on time, them don’t put a timeframe on the polls.

Comment by Suck it – July 30, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You are at the age where you have nothing else to worry about, aren’t you.

Comment by Missie – July 30, 2012 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Great comment. Really contributed to the discussion. Did your mom help you with that?

Comment by Suck it – July 31, 2012 06:05 AM PDT
  • Chuck Bass FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for Dean since he WON his round. So much for the time limit on voting…..

Comment by Mel – July 30, 2012 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s hardly scientific, and it’s just a fun online poll. In the end, your guy lost, get over it.

Comment by java – July 30, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Who mentioned science? Just asking that the ones managing the polls stick with the timeframe they state in the posting. If you want to keep polls open longer, than don’t put a time frame on it. If closed on time, YOUR guy lost. How is that for science?

Comment by Bad Polling – July 30, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Do you even know what science is? It’s simple, if closed at time stated, which was beofre the facebook/twits push by White Collar producers, your guy lost and Dean won. You would be pissed too if the situation was reversed. Commenter was just stating a fact!

Comment by Suck it – July 30, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nope, wouldn’t be pissed at all. It’s just an ONLINE POLL for FUN. You guys seriously need to grow up. And yes, you made my point – it’s not a scientific poll, as evidenced by the casual approach regarding time. Thanks for your agreement.

Comment by java – July 30, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Scientific. You keep on using that word, I do not think you know what it means.

Comment by Inigo Montoya – July 30, 2012 03:53 PM PDT
          • scientific
            adjective
            1. technological, technical, chemical, biological, empirical, factual, scientific research
            2. systematic, accurate, exact, precise, ordered, controlled, rational, mathematical, rigorous, analytical, methodical the scientific study of capitalist development
            Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

The ways in which it applies (or, more specifically, doesn’t apply to this poll) here: accurate, exact, precise, controlled… etc.

Try again, this is fun. :-D

Comment by java – July 30, 2012 06:32 PM PDT
          • Well, unless your name is actually HarperCollins, you only proved that you know how to Google and cut and paste. If you actually knew what scientific meant you would be able to provide your own definition. This is fun, thanks!! In any event, you keep on saying “scientific” when the original poster merely stated a fact regarding the timing of the poll. No doubt the votes were counted accurately, the poll was just closed late. That is all.

Comment by Suck it – July 31, 2012 06:13 AM PDT
        • Agree with Java. You seem to be taking these polls so seriously that you have to 1) have a fairly rude screen name as a means to “put the commenter in their place” (which you aren’t doing and 2) pushing the timeframe issue for something that is literally just for fun, regardless of timeframe, votes or otherwise. To quote a previous poster “lighten up”

Comment by CA – July 30, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Suck It has a point. This is supposed to be fun, and something is taken away from that when polls don’t close on time and it skews the results. If they aren’t going to follow the rules (that TVLine makes up), then don’t do these polls or deal with the irate comments.

Comment by Mel – July 30, 2012 04:15 PM PDT
          • Nothing in my comments suggests that I am taking anything so seriously. My screen name is no more rude than java telling the original poster to “get over it.” Because someone posts a quick comment showing the slightest disappointment with a poll result they are automatically too serious. And no one is “pushing” any issue, just merely pointing out some facts on the polling process here. These polls are extremely fun and, whether you think so or not, pleasantly competitive. The poll closing late is comparable to an umpire missing a call in the ballgame that works in favor of the team that eventually wins. You are momentarily disappointed, and maybe even express some brief frustration at your television, but you eventually move forward and enjoy the rest of the game.

Comment by Suck it – July 31, 2012 06:27 AM PDT
        • It looks to me that Neal fans stuck it through to the last hour and Dean fans relaxed too much because they were overconfident with the initial lead and didn’t even check in because if they did, they’ve could’ve voted more. They’re both hot so don’t despair.

Comment by We Won – July 31, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think they did and the numbers show

Comment by We Still Won – July 31, 2012 07:53 AM PDT
          • By last hour do you mean when the poll was supposed to close or the fourth hour after the poll was supposed to close?

Comment by Kind of Won – July 31, 2012 08:33 AM PDT
  • GHGG I feel bad not picking Neal but Chuck – the best forever and ever!

Comment by Radina – July 30, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is much easier than last time. Neal all the way. It’s a no brainer. He’s got charm, talent, style and a hidden bad streak that you won’t see until it gets you…, and then you’ll want more. :p

Comment by Eralerui – July 30, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal <3

Comment by Jen – July 30, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Chuck’s style is unique to say the least. You will never find him in jeans or a t-shirt (unless he’s trying to be ironic), and his ensembles are completely out of the box. Who else would wear a purple jumper with yellow trousers? But the most important element of Chuck’s style is the way everything is pulled together. Like his personality, everything he wears is cleverly calculated, right down to his socks.” :)

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Michael
    You obviously haven’t watched White Collar if you’re arguing Chuck’s style over Neal’s. :D

Comment by Eralerui – July 30, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i watch both shows :D

Comment by Michael – July 30, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal FTW! Vote early, vote often ;-)

Comment by Should be working... – July 30, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Contest – Neal Caffrey

Comment by Steph – July 30, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well the bracket indicates that this contest should be between Barney Stimson and Neal Caffery. Barney beat Chuck Bass with a 62.9 to 53.6 margin. But still…. Neal Caffery for the win!

Comment by Chris – July 30, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Which is 116.5%. I made the same mistake when first reading bracket and got confused, but then I read a comment from an above poster. The percentages are from their previous wins, and not from the current poll. Barney beat House at 62.9% and Chuck beat Pacey at 53.6%. Chuck beat Barney with 52.5% of the vote, so Barney had 47.5% of the vote. They need to fix how they post the results because it is confusing.

Comment by Hannah – July 30, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ahhh…got it. Now I see what you mean…and yes, it’s very confusing. But still fun!

Comment by Chris – July 30, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I can’t believe that Dean isn’t going to be in the final. TRAVESTY.

I’ve seen 1 episode of GG and 2 episodes of White Collar, and even though I don’t care all that much for either, Neal is OBVIOUSLY the winner of the two.

Comment by alyssa – July 30, 2012 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVLine, I have a bone to pick with you about your voting system. Last night I discovered a friend of mine who has been voting in these contests can vote over and over again and have all of her votes counted. She said she voted at least 20 times for one character last night. Now here’s what happens when I try to vote in the same contest more than once. I get a message that says “Thank you, we have already counted your vote.” So what the H-E-Double hockey sticks is going on here??? Why are some people allowed to power vote, or “cheat” as I call it when others are just limited to one vote??? This is not fair, and I believe this is how that d-bag Chuck Bass from that stupid Gossip Girl show keeps winning his contests, because he’s always way behind, and then in the last few hours, Gossip Girl fangirls start doing multiple votes for him over and over again, and then he comes behind to win. Watch it happen here too. He’s down by over 20% right now. This discrepancy in the voting system allowing people to multi-vote or cheat like that is ruining the fun of this for the grown-ups. Please fix your voting system so that everyone can only vote once.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 30, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG it’s a poll. You guys need to go outside and get a life. If the biggest problem you have is a character winning or losing a poll, good God, you have no life

Comment by Willa – July 30, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yup. But when it comes rational thought for some people — just can’t get past the loss of a FICTIONAL TV CHARACTER to another FICTIONAL TV CHARACTER.

Comment by jason – July 30, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah I also vited multiple time for the hell of it. But if this were a legit contest for badasses, Walter White would win in a waltz. This is really a contest of whose fans are willing to hit refresh the most times lol.

Comment by Temis – July 30, 2012 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal won his last round? WHOOOO!!! Let’s move him on to the finals where he belongs…

Comment by Deena – July 30, 2012 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darnit, I thought Dean won. Oh well, Neal Caffrey FTW. *shrug*

Comment by Samantha – July 30, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal. Duh. Bryce Larkin without the jerk tendencies- I’m sold!

Comment by Rose – July 30, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal Caffrey and all his hotness!

Comment by sarah – July 30, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Neal vs. Damon in the finals

Comment by Ryan – July 30, 2012 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget who’s bad and let’s talk about who I would want to handcuff me…. DEFINITELY Neal Caffrey!!!!!! ;)

Comment by Althea – July 30, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please, let Neal win. He is a better bad boy over Chuck. I’ve seen all episodes of both shows and I can say with confidence that Neal is better. Chuck might have been competition if this were season 1 or 2, but not anymore. Neal is a convicted criminal, for goodness sake, who has been in prison and still breaks the law every now and then. Jeez, he was just on the RUN from the law and is back to working with the FBI and not by choice. If that’s not bad boy enough for people, I really don’t know what is.

But I worry for Neal if he moves on against Damon and Spike. Those fangirls will crush him, sadly. And it’s very unfortunate. So I guess I better prepare for that and should be glad that he’s made it so far.

Comment by Jessica Nightflame Desrocher – July 30, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve never seen White Collar but I voted for Matt Bomer just because I think he’s insanely hot.

Comment by anna – July 30, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you like Matt Bomer then check out White Collar; it’s a fun, clever show that never takes itself too seriously. The chemistry of the cast alone is worth the view and the bromance between the two main characters just makes it all the more enjoyable.

Comment by Chris – July 30, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you should definitely watch White Collar if you think Matt Bomers hot! it’s an awesome show.

Comment by Elyse – July 31, 2012 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should see Bomer in action as Neal. So suave and charming!

Comment by Alexandra – July 31, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch White Collar (been meaning to), but seeing as Chuck Bass tried to rape a woman, I’m not going to vote for him.

Comment by mia – July 30, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is no one hotter on earth than the Bomer and no batter TV actor so no contest!

Comment by Brit – July 30, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Chuck Bass

Comment by MSC – July 30, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bad boy who is a romantic and has a good heart ( besides being mega handsome and so swoon worthy)

Comment by teri – July 30, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post