Gossip Girl's Chuck Bass Vs. White Collar's Neal Caffrey: Bad-Boy Semifinals Begin!

We started with 64 players, but the Semifinals of TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament feature just four rugged survivors.

Our first Semifinal matchup finds Chuck Bass of Gossip Girl and Neal Caffrey of White Collar heading into the ring.

Tomorrow, we’ll kick off a second Semifinal bout, and on Thursday, the last two men standing will duke it out in the Finale of our single-elimination tourney. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Semifinal voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

If you’re wondering what criteria we used to pick our players, we cast our net rather wide — including fellas who are dark and a little bit dangerous, truly good guys with naughty, maybe even promiscuous streaks, and actual evildoers who are nevertheless tough to root against.

And if you’re interested in the match-ups that have already finished, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. Now ready, set, vote!

1. Maria says:

Adore Chuck- never seen White Collar, but I might have to now.

2. Sam says:

Neal forevah! Chuck is a decent bad boy, but Neal has way more charm (and better fashion sense!)

3. SD says:

I still can’t believe that Barney lost out to a CW show, but at least I don’t have to choose between he and Neal! Caffrey all the way now!

4. Willa says:

Chuck Bass

5. Tricia says:

The final four is without Dean. This just proves further that the Winchesters just can’t catch a break.

• heather_kaye says:

Yeah, I don’t really see how we made it to the final four without Raylan, Dean, or Sawyer…there is something seriously wrong with the electorate on this site…

But now, no conflict: Neal for the win.

• rowan77 says:

Heather, I cannot agree more on all counts.

• Michael says:

Raylan and Dean are both good guys at the end of the day who, on occasion, make some rebellious choices; they aren’t really bad boys. Neil Caffrey is a thief and always will be a thief. While he does good things, at the end of the day, he is still a thief and a bad boy. Chuck Bass, even though I don’t like him or Gossip Girl all that much, is a bad boy through and through.

• Sara says:

If you want a poll that Supernatural will win, go to E.

• Faith says:

I completely agree! I can’t believe Dean isn’t in the top 4. I love Neal (beautiful!) But Dean could kick Neal’s butt a hundred different ways. But now that Dean’s out Neal all the way!

• Liv says:

This is ridiculous. Dean literally tortured souls in Hell for ten years and he’s not bad enough for you? :P

6. Rebecca says:

So easy. Neal all the way. Bass is a DBag.

7. Sara says:

Neal >>>>>>>>> Boring Bass

8. sarah l says:

Chuck Bass

9. Neal Caffrey is better than Chuck Bass. For sure. Even if I never seen White Collar.

10. Elyse says:

Neal allllll the way.

11. Michele says:

Neal, most definitely.

12. Marika says:

Are you kidding me? Neal!!!

13. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Chuck! Because he’s Chuck Bass!

14. Becca says:

I don’t understand… How the hell did Dean and Barney lose? This makes me so sad. Though ill be pissed if Neal loses to the douche from gossip girl.

• tripoli says:

Don’t watch White Collar but voted for Bomer in sheer annoyance of how annoying Bass/Westwick and all the crazy fans are.

• Serena says:

EXACTLY. I can’t believe Pacey AND Barney lost to him – they were slightly rebellious characters with hearts of gold. Chuck Bass is just … a complete scumbag. I have never seen White Collar but ANYONE would be a better choice (short of a serial killer or actual rapist – since Chuck is “only” an attempted rapist after all *eyefreakinrollhere*).

• Serena says:

*correction: Pacey and Barney ARE slightly rebellious characters with hearts of gold – since DC will live on in my DVD set indefinitely and HIMYM is still on…

• TigerNightmare says:

Completely agree. I only watched the first episode of Gossip Girl for K Bell and didn’t really get into it. But I’ll never forget how Chuck Bass tried to rape like three different girls. I’ll still vote for Spike cause, after the incident, he went through a demon gauntlet just to kill that part of himself.

• Serena says:

Yes, and Spike & Damon are VAMPIRES … so inherently, they are literally bloodsuckers (I know there are “good” vs. “bad” vampires, but still… vampires. lol). Chuck really has no justification for his behaviour (Mommy/Daddy issues do not count – almost every character on television has them!). Anyways, yay, Neal wins :)

15. If it comes down to Neal vs. Spike, I don’t know how I’ll choose. Oh, who am I kidding, I have to go with Spike, but it will hurt a little. Neal is awesome, but Spike has a far more torturous path to redemption – plus he has a British accent. And killer cheekbones. And an adorable head tilt. Sorry, Neal.

• Michael says:

I would like to work full-time as Ian Somerhalder’s fluffer, but Spike wins hands down for me. Always Spike.

16. hithere says:

My Chuck Bass!!

17. KS says:

who cares? no one on the left side of the bracket is going to beat either of the vamps on the right.

18. dtse says:

Chuck effing Bass :))

19. Nikki says:

Chuck Bass. THE LEGEND.

20. Ace says:

So this will come down to Neal (because, duh, charming Neal > creepy Chuck) vs. either Damon or Spike? Interesting.

21. Lena says:

If you check the whole bracket, it says that Barney beat chuck by like 10%. What the hell, tvline?!?!?!?!!?!?!

• Someone says:

I noticed that also. I demand they fix it! Barney gets my vote!

• Troy says:

You’re reading it wrong. The percentage is for the previous outcome. The 62.9% for Barney was against House.

• Hannah says:

Now it makes sense. I was looking at the bracket and the a lot of the percentages went over 100%, and I thought someone messed up. Thanks for making it clear!

22. Jennifer says:

I still remember a Chuck “excuse” from season one “I’m Chuck Bass”. Nothing more need ever be said.

23. Bad Polling says:

Sad that the moderator of these polls keep dropping the ball when it comes to sticking with poll timing. The previous poll with Dean vs. Neal had Dean up by 5 points at polls end, which should have been 12:57 PM PDT. Unfortunately, that poll was allowed to continue for at least 3 hours after the 48 hour mark and Neal ended up winning. Have seen similar comments posted by others in the various polls.

I find these polls to be fun, but it is frustrating when, in certain contests like the one between Dean and Neal, does not reflect the actual contest win. If you don’t have the time to monitor or oversee the polls, why start them in the first place?

• Jac says:

It’s just for fun….lighten up for goodness sake. Sleazek can’t be exactly on time all the time for these.

• Suck it says:

Commenter said he found them fun. He just expressed furstration when the polls are not accurate with time. If Sleazek can’t be exactly on time, them don’t put a timeframe on the polls.

24. Michael says:

Chuck Bass FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Mel says:

My vote is for Dean since he WON his round. So much for the time limit on voting…..

• java says:

It’s hardly scientific, and it’s just a fun online poll. In the end, your guy lost, get over it.

• Bad Polling says:

Who mentioned science? Just asking that the ones managing the polls stick with the timeframe they state in the posting. If you want to keep polls open longer, than don’t put a time frame on it. If closed on time, YOUR guy lost. How is that for science?

• Suck it says:

Do you even know what science is? It’s simple, if closed at time stated, which was beofre the facebook/twits push by White Collar producers, your guy lost and Dean won. You would be pissed too if the situation was reversed. Commenter was just stating a fact!

• java says:

Nope, wouldn’t be pissed at all. It’s just an ONLINE POLL for FUN. You guys seriously need to grow up. And yes, you made my point – it’s not a scientific poll, as evidenced by the casual approach regarding time. Thanks for your agreement.

• Inigo Montoya says:

Scientific. You keep on using that word, I do not think you know what it means.

• java says:

scientific
            adjective
            1. technological, technical, chemical, biological, empirical, factual, scientific research
            2. systematic, accurate, exact, precise, ordered, controlled, rational, mathematical, rigorous, analytical, methodical the scientific study of capitalist development
            Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

The ways in which it applies (or, more specifically, doesn’t apply to this poll) here: accurate, exact, precise, controlled… etc.

Try again, this is fun. :-D

• Suck it says:

Well, unless your name is actually HarperCollins, you only proved that you know how to Google and cut and paste. If you actually knew what scientific meant you would be able to provide your own definition. This is fun, thanks!! In any event, you keep on saying “scientific” when the original poster merely stated a fact regarding the timing of the poll. No doubt the votes were counted accurately, the poll was just closed late. That is all.

• CA says:

Agree with Java. You seem to be taking these polls so seriously that you have to 1) have a fairly rude screen name as a means to “put the commenter in their place” (which you aren’t doing and 2) pushing the timeframe issue for something that is literally just for fun, regardless of timeframe, votes or otherwise. To quote a previous poster “lighten up”

• Mel says:

Suck It has a point. This is supposed to be fun, and something is taken away from that when polls don’t close on time and it skews the results. If they aren’t going to follow the rules (that TVLine makes up), then don’t do these polls or deal with the irate comments.

• Suck it says:

Nothing in my comments suggests that I am taking anything so seriously. My screen name is no more rude than java telling the original poster to “get over it.” Because someone posts a quick comment showing the slightest disappointment with a poll result they are automatically too serious. And no one is “pushing” any issue, just merely pointing out some facts on the polling process here. These polls are extremely fun and, whether you think so or not, pleasantly competitive. The poll closing late is comparable to an umpire missing a call in the ballgame that works in favor of the team that eventually wins. You are momentarily disappointed, and maybe even express some brief frustration at your television, but you eventually move forward and enjoy the rest of the game.

• We Won says:

It looks to me that Neal fans stuck it through to the last hour and Dean fans relaxed too much because they were overconfident with the initial lead and didn’t even check in because if they did, they’ve could’ve voted more. They’re both hot so don’t despair.

26. Radina says:

GHGG I feel bad not picking Neal but Chuck – the best forever and ever!

27. Eralerui says:

This is much easier than last time. Neal all the way. It’s a no brainer. He’s got charm, talent, style and a hidden bad streak that you won’t see until it gets you…, and then you’ll want more. :p

28. Michael says:

“Chuck’s style is unique to say the least. You will never find him in jeans or a t-shirt (unless he’s trying to be ironic), and his ensembles are completely out of the box. Who else would wear a purple jumper with yellow trousers? But the most important element of Chuck’s style is the way everything is pulled together. Like his personality, everything he wears is cleverly calculated, right down to his socks.”

29. Eralerui says:

@Michael
    You obviously haven’t watched White Collar if you’re arguing Chuck’s style over Neal’s. :D

30. Should be working... says:

Neal FTW! Vote early, vote often ;-)

31. Steph says:

No Contest – Neal Caffrey

32. Chris says:

Well the bracket indicates that this contest should be between Barney Stimson and Neal Caffery. Barney beat Chuck Bass with a 62.9 to 53.6 margin. But still…. Neal Caffery for the win!

33. Hannah says:

Which is 116.5%. I made the same mistake when first reading bracket and got confused, but then I read a comment from an above poster. The percentages are from their previous wins, and not from the current poll. Barney beat House at 62.9% and Chuck beat Pacey at 53.6%. Chuck beat Barney with 52.5% of the vote, so Barney had 47.5% of the vote. They need to fix how they post the results because it is confusing.

34. alyssa says:

Man, I can’t believe that Dean isn’t going to be in the final. TRAVESTY.

I’ve seen 1 episode of GG and 2 episodes of White Collar, and even though I don’t care all that much for either, Neal is OBVIOUSLY the winner of the two.

35. Britta Unfiltered says:

TVLine, I have a bone to pick with you about your voting system. Last night I discovered a friend of mine who has been voting in these contests can vote over and over again and have all of her votes counted. She said she voted at least 20 times for one character last night. Now here’s what happens when I try to vote in the same contest more than once. I get a message that says “Thank you, we have already counted your vote.” So what the H-E-Double hockey sticks is going on here??? Why are some people allowed to power vote, or “cheat” as I call it when others are just limited to one vote??? This is not fair, and I believe this is how that d-bag Chuck Bass from that stupid Gossip Girl show keeps winning his contests, because he’s always way behind, and then in the last few hours, Gossip Girl fangirls start doing multiple votes for him over and over again, and then he comes behind to win. Watch it happen here too. He’s down by over 20% right now. This discrepancy in the voting system allowing people to multi-vote or cheat like that is ruining the fun of this for the grown-ups. Please fix your voting system so that everyone can only vote once.

• Willa says:

OMG it’s a poll. You guys need to go outside and get a life. If the biggest problem you have is a character winning or losing a poll, good God, you have no life

• jason says:

Yup. But when it comes rational thought for some people — just can’t get past the loss of a FICTIONAL TV CHARACTER to another FICTIONAL TV CHARACTER.

• Temis says:

Yeah I also vited multiple time for the hell of it. But if this were a legit contest for badasses, Walter White would win in a waltz. This is really a contest of whose fans are willing to hit refresh the most times lol.

36. Deena says:

Neal won his last round? WHOOOO!!! Let’s move him on to the finals where he belongs…

37. Samantha says:

Darnit, I thought Dean won. Oh well, Neal Caffrey FTW. *shrug*

38. Rose says:

Neal. Duh. Bryce Larkin without the jerk tendencies- I’m sold!

39. sarah says:

Neal Caffrey and all his hotness!

40. Ryan says:

Neal vs. Damon in the finals

41. Althea says:

Forget who’s bad and let’s talk about who I would want to handcuff me…. DEFINITELY Neal Caffrey!!!!!! ;)

42. Oh please, let Neal win. He is a better bad boy over Chuck. I’ve seen all episodes of both shows and I can say with confidence that Neal is better. Chuck might have been competition if this were season 1 or 2, but not anymore. Neal is a convicted criminal, for goodness sake, who has been in prison and still breaks the law every now and then. Jeez, he was just on the RUN from the law and is back to working with the FBI and not by choice. If that’s not bad boy enough for people, I really don’t know what is.

But I worry for Neal if he moves on against Damon and Spike. Those fangirls will crush him, sadly. And it’s very unfortunate. So I guess I better prepare for that and should be glad that he’s made it so far.

43. anna says:

I’ve never seen White Collar but I voted for Matt Bomer just because I think he’s insanely hot.

• Chris says:

If you like Matt Bomer then check out White Collar; it’s a fun, clever show that never takes itself too seriously. The chemistry of the cast alone is worth the view and the bromance between the two main characters just makes it all the more enjoyable.

• Elyse says:

you should definitely watch White Collar if you think Matt Bomers hot! it’s an awesome show.

• Alexandra says:

You should see Bomer in action as Neal. So suave and charming!

44. mia says:

I don’t watch White Collar (been meaning to), but seeing as Chuck Bass tried to rape a woman, I’m not going to vote for him.

45. Brit says:

There is no one hotter on earth than the Bomer and no batter TV actor so no contest!

46. MSC says:

I voted for Chuck Bass

47. teri says:

Bad boy who is a romantic and has a good heart ( besides being mega handsome and so swoon worthy)

48. gabby franco says: