What to Watch Sunday: True Blood Star Calls the Shots, a Bad Secret, Olympic Gymnasts and More

On TV this Sunday: A True Blood vamp takes a stab at stepping behind the camera, Joan Rivers brings her shtick to The Simpsons, a Political Animal puts in motion a nefarious plan and Olympic gymnasts tumble the night away. Here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

7 pm 2012 Summer Olympics (NBC) | The events on tap include men’s and women’s swimming, women’s diving and women’s gymnastics.

8 pm The Simpsons (Fox) | Joan Rivers voices Krusty’s first agent, who returns to help the downtrodden clown engineer a career comeback, in this Repeat to Revisit.

8 pm Good Luck Charlie (Disney Channel) | Teddy convinces Harry Wentz to follow his dream and open Denver’s first weather-themed restaurant. Lemme guess, the menu features sunny side-up eggs, Windy City chili, snow cones… You’re a creative lot, so hit the comments with what you’d serve.

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New!

9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Stephen Moyer directed this episode, titled [cue earworm] “Somebody That I Used to Know,” in which Sookie and Jason get a gigantic shock when they visit the place their parents died, while J.D. ratchets his fight with Alcide up a notch.

RELATED | Fall TV: What’s On When? And Versus What?

10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | Walt and Jesse put a business plan into action, and Walt confesses a secret to Marie.

10 pm The Newsroom (HBO) | Will’s lack of sleep drives him to therapy, and Sloan’s harsh interrogation of a Tokyo power-company rep puts her career in jeopardy.

10 pm Political Animals (USA Network) | President Garcetti sets in motion a plan that will cause conflict between Elaine and her lifelong mentor (played by guest star Vanessa Redgrave).

10 pm Oprah’s Lifeclass (OWN) | The self-help series’ Season 2 opener finds author Iyanla Vanzant joining O to help viewers “move beyond the guilt weighing down their lives so they may experience true freedom.”

10 pm Weeds (Showtime) | From the network: “Nancy faces temptation; Jill uses Doug to get back at Andy.” Couldn’t this apply to a bunch of Weeds episodes?

10:30 pm Episodes (Showtime) | When Morning runs into a “cheeky” medical emergency, Sean and Beverly help her deal with it.

1. Kissane says:

I’m really looking forward to this ep of True Blood, listening to the other actors gush about Stephen’s directing talents during the SDCC panel was so wonderfully adorable.

2. theresa says:

Watching. Big Brother, True Blood & Newsroom. DVR Politcal Animals, Weeds & Episodes. Missing Falling Skies this week!

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

Gymnasts! Diving! Swimming! Breaking Bad! Newsroom! I’ll get to you Weeds, just not right away. Already saw Episodes. It’s great. They’re all great this season.

4. raynald doe says:

i wonder if they will play gotye’s song in true blood

5. Nick says:

Good Luck Charlie & Olympics

6. Templar says:

PBS Masterpiece Mystery Inspector Lewis.

7. mia says:

I love Political Animals, but what Elaine’s son is doing behind her back is disgusting. Her running for election will “rip the family apart” WFT. Her sons are grown men, they should be able to handle it. Its selfish of her son to not want her to go for her dreams. He should be supporting her, not whining like a brat.
    Gawd, I love this show. I hope USA renews it

8. Sammy24 says:

I don’t think what Doug is doing to his mother is disgusting. He’s been through the ringer during her last Presidential Campaign and fears another run would rip apart his family and new pife with his fiancée. Can’t wait to watch tonight’s episode of Political Animals! It’s sooooo good and really hope it gets picked up for a full season!

9. nick1372 says:

Watching Olympics and recording Newsroom.

10. Joy says:

I’ll take a re-run of The Mentalist

11. Olivia says:

True Blood and Breaking Bad!! I started watching the Newsroom as I love Jeff Daniels, the concept is really great but it didn’t deliver for me.

12. Sam says:

Watched the first 4 episodes of the newsroom but just couldn’t take it anymore. Deleted it off my dvr. The show is slow, clunky & most of the time, the actors & their lines make me cringe (especially Emily Mortimer)

• Olivia says:

I agree, I watched the first two and stopped halfway through the third. The fact that it was a bit slow didn’t bother me, the story itself was dull and yes, a lot of the lines are ridiculous. Such a shame as I loved the concept.

Need to bring shows like Frontline (Australian series) back :)

13. W says: