Scoop: The Office Staffs Up, Hires Better With You Alum Jake Lacy as New Regular

Jake Lacy The OfficeThe restructuring at Dunder Mifflin’s Scranton branch continues…

Better With You grad Jake Lacy is joining The Office‘s upcoming ninth season as a series regular, TVLine has learned.

The actor joins fellow Office rookie Clark Duke, who inked his own series regular deal earlier this month. The news marks a nice turnaround for Lacy, who was dropped from Fox’s midseason comedy The Goodwin Games last month after starring in the pilot.

RELATED | The Office Scoop — Look Who’s Returning!

As previously reported, The Office is set to undergo a mini-reboot this fall amid changes in front of and behind the scenes — including the departure of showrunner Paul Lieberstein as well as the possible exit of a soon-to-be spun off Rainn Wilson. Additionally, B.J. Novak (Ryan) and Fox-bound Mindy Kaling (Kelly) will not be returning full-time.

The Office launches its ninth season on Sept. 20.

1. PutAforkINit says:

put a fork in it. so done.

• JB Smooove says:

So so done when Steve left. That should have led to the closing of the branch, everyone not wasting their time on this.

2. Steven says:

Darn. I love Clark Duke and Jake Lacy. I may need to check back into The Office now… If just for an episode or 2.

3. I could not stand this guy on Better With You. Just kill The Office already instead of doing this to it.

4. Reiley says:

He was the worst part of Better With You. And The Office is unbelievably dead. Somehow, this makes sense.

5. lee says:

I love him so glad he bounced back :D

6. Leah says:

If not for the fact Rainn Wilson was leaving, I would be cautiously optimistic about the upcoming season.

7. Matt Zmudka says:

Why don’t they promote from within? Angela Kinsey and Brian Baumgartner certainly deserve the raises.

8. Matt says:

The show is becoming embarrassing. Please end it.

9. Jessie says:

Why do people keep saying The Office should end – if you don;t watch the show, what’s it to you? If you do watch it, then why, if you’re just going to complain about it. Just watch the shows you do like, and let those of us who are still fans of the show (the milllions of us, btw) enjoy it in peace. Season 8 wasn’t quite up to the standard of previous seasons, but it still had its moments, and I enjoyed it overall. I am also really interested to see what this “mini-reboot” will look like, and interested to meet these new characters. It might be terrible, who knows, but I’ll watch first before I decide. And The Office will remain my favourite show, even if I don’t like the last season or few. It’s funny, feelgood, it has an extremely talented cast, real heart, and I love all the characters.

• James says:

I agree,i will alawys love The Office, even at its worst its still better than alot of comedies…. Also upon re-watching episodes from season 8, they are soo funny and well written, and you can catch jokes you missed in the first airing.

• Why don’t you just let people post their opinions, good or bad, without you whining about it? It’s completely possible that we are people that do like the show and don’t like seeing it get wrecked at the end. It’s had a good run, but it’s not really The Office anymore when half the characters are gone.

• Joe says:

Why do you care if it gets wrecked at the end? Pretend those episodes don’t exist. These shows aren’t made to be perfect little gift sets with no clunker episodes. They’re not made for OCD fans who can’t imagine a character being replaced. They’re made for people who like to escape and watch a little TV each week. The Office was good last season. Not great. Good. It was still better than 90% of the sitcoms on network primetime TV. I really hope this reboot thing works because I can’t wait for all the “put a fork in it” people to have to put a fork in themselves. This isn’t Cheers. It’s an Office where people will come & go but the style of the comedy can work in any setting with great writing and acting. I’ll wait to judge it until it’s actually on the air again.

10. Lisa says:

Love the office, will watch it till the end.

11. donna says:

The office is a great Show.after Steve left it has lost some of its glory but its continue. To produce a lot of laughts.I miss the old shows with steve but I get the reruns. I can’t wait to see the new. Season.I’m sure if they continue with the same type. Of humor and pratical jokes it will be just fine. Anyone want me to put their stapler in jello mold.

12. Mike moreno says:

Shame 2 the haters. The office rules. Always has..always will. I cant wait till season 9.