AMC Cancels The Killing After Two Seasons 'After Much Deliberation' [Updated]

the killing cancelledAMC has euthanized The Killing.

The cabler has opted against ordering a third season of the mystery drama, which sparked a backlash after it failed to resolve the Rosie Larsen murder at the end of Season 1.

“After much deliberation, we’ve come to the difficult decision not to renew The Killing for a third season,” said the network in a statement. “AMC is incredibly proud of the show and is fortunate to have worked with such a talented team on this project, from showrunner Veena Sud and our terrific partners at Fox Television Studios to the talented, dedicated crew and exceptional cast.”

RELATEDThe Killing Season 2 Finale Recap: Who Killed Rosie Larsen? Well…

The series, based on a Danish TV whodunit called Forbrydelsen, debuted to critical acclaim. The first season earned Emmy nominations for stars Mireille Enos, who played a detective investigating Rosie’s killing, and Michelle Forbes, who portrayed the dead girl’s mother. But when the Season 1 finale came and went without any resolution to the murder mystery, fans and critics alike made their displeasure known – and the drama never recovered.

The show’s Season 2 finale drew 1.5 million viewers, down 17 percent from the premiere and down 35 percent from the final episode of its freshman year. Critical support, too, seriously dropped in the second season. (At least we found out who killed Rosie.)

RELATED | Joel Kinnaman Weighs in on a Killing Season 3: ‘It Would Have to Reboot Itself’

The Killing made stars of Enos and Joel Kinnaman, who played her partner Stephen Holder, and the show was a springboard to the big screen for both of them. Kinnaman will play the titular role in the upcoming Robocop reboot, and Enos recently wrapped the Ryan Gosling-led Gangster Squad. She’ll also appear opposite Brad Pitt in the zombie-horror flick World War Z, scheduled for release next year.

1. tvdiva says:

I just read somewhere that the show is being shopped around to see if another network will pick it up. If the producers of the show had revealed the killer at the end of the first season and moved onto another crime in the second season, they would not have lost so many viewers. You cannot ask people to watch your show and then not give them some kind of payoff at the end of each season. Let’s see if another network is willing to take a chance on the show.

2. TigerNightmare says:

I can’t believe there are so many people still butthurt about the finale from last year. I enjoyed it for what it was, not what it wasn’t.

3. Steven says:

With the conspiracy, come the second season, tying up the police department, several construction crews and the chief of an Indian tribe… wait a minute…

OH MY GOD, THE VILLAGE PEOPLE KILLED ROSIE LARSEN.

4. valerie tower says:

This stinks! The Killing screwed up royally when they did not reveal the killer to us during the first season finale. They should have done that and then they could have had a new case to work on during season two.

5. Anonymous says:

Well it’s official. I am no longer watching anything on AMC. This was the best show on TV with fantastic acting and real depth to the storyline. People were complaining because they didn’t get to find out who the killer was in the first season but I was ecstatic because it meant we could continue to see how the Larsen family moved on and we could learn more about the girl who was loved by everyone and mysteriously killed. Murders like hers in real life are not solved in a couple of days or weeks. Sometimes it takes years and I think two seasons for this case was the perfect amount of time. Sure the pacing got slow sometimes and I do admit that they should have thrown in a couple of things to make things move a little faster, but the storyline, the acting, and just the emotion of the story as it was unfolding kept me wanting more. AMC, you have lost all my respect for cancelling such an amazing show.

• Lizard says:

Haven’t seen the US version but the original Danish series (subtitled) was a fantastic drama with excellent writing and acting – what was the point of remaking it and dragging it out over more than one season? I havent met a single person who wasnt enthralled by the original – surely US viewers don’t need to have a European drama adapted in order to appreciate it?

6. Scott Latto says:

So many wrong people on here, great cast and great story. Fair enough could have solved it in the first series but the acting from all parts was a masterclass on emotions. Do wish they done a 3rd series ona new murder !!!!!

7. Mark says:

In the original and vastly superior Danish version, the killer is found in season 1. The second season of The Killing (Danish) has been reduced from 20 episodes to 10 so it moves at a better pace. I don’t think Americans have the patience for long drawn out stories, which is a shame as I found the Danish version utterly compelling. I like some American TV shows such as House, 24, Suits etc but the networks do seem to be more concerned with quantity over quality. This is what let the US version down. Unlike the Danish version it felt shallow and the acting was inferior. I just didn’t feel the emotion or care enough about the characters.

8. lee says:

I honestly missed season 1. But tuned in season 2. I totally loved the show. Dark but awsome and always kept me wanting more. Actors awsome and realistic. Boo ancient BIG BIG mistake!

9. Simon says:

See the Danish version. That is truly brilliant. At least it resolved the murder in Season One, and Season Two is a whole new story. Season Three is coming up very soon and I can’t wait. Hopefully it will be as dark and compelling as the first two seasons.

10. Bosco Caldeira says:

the comments are so typically American … need to get laid in 10 minutes .. need a murder mystery solved in 41 minutes …. this was an excellently crafted series … altoh the 1st part was def superior to the 2nd .. compared to the other crap out there .. this was a work of art and the performances .. the cinematography .. the background score was to die for … when I saw HOMELAND I thot nothing could ever top that and while The Killing doesn’t, it runs a damn good second …but Mirelle Enos and Joel Jinnerman and Brent Sexton were far and away too brilliant for words … so here’s to all those who want their sex in 10 minutes and murder mysteries solved in 41 , go back to CSI , you dumbnuts

11. Signe G says:

This show was near perfection…..keep Holden/Linden and key players in place…..continue developing main characters relationships…..solve a murder in one season…..then the series would run for years…..simple

12. Jason Pace says:

Just a direction note here: I thought it was strange that it seemed to rain quite hard in so many scenes (it mostly drizzles in Seattle, by the way), and they never used umbrellas, or even seemed wet, like, once they climbed back into the car.

13. Jason Pace says:

Ok, I just watched the first season and thought it was really quite good. Then I got half way, almost, through the second season — and I just stopped watching. Got bored. I won’t miss it.