Mad Men Creator Weighs In on Peggy's Future, Mega-Megan Backlash and the Season 7 Outlook

Elisabeth Moss Jessica PareThough Mad Men creator Matt Weiner famously holds his cards very, very (very) close to the vest, there is one thing he was willing to reveal about Season 6, when TVLine spoke with him about the AMC drama’s latest haul of 17 Emmy nominations.

Peggy, played by Elisabeth Moss, “is going to be on the show next year,” Weiner shared. “I can’t say how much, in what capacity or what [her story] is going to be, but she has not left the show.”

RELATED | Matt Weiner Scoffs at Mad Men‘s ‘Advantage’ in Emmy Race,
Names the No. 1 Threat to Show’s Record 5-Peat as Best Drama

Weiner likens the questioning of Moss’ status to the concerns he fielded after the Drapers headed for divorce a couple seasons back. “Everyone was like, ‘I guess January Jones is off the show,’ and I was like, ‘Why would she be?’ I never understood that.”

But whereas Don is forever connected to Betty through their kids, one could argue that Peggy’s tie to the canvas was mostly through her work at Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce, and that seemingly ended when she tendered her resignation.

“When people leave Sterling Cooper, sometimes it is the end for [the character],” Weiner allows. “But I will spoil that one tiny piece of anticipation and tell people that Elisabeth will be showing up to work.”

The same Season 5 that saw Peggy bid SCDP farewell also injected a heavy dose of Megan Draper, played by relatively new cast member Jessica Pare. Weiner admits that he “took a couple knocks” for thrusting Don’s new bride into the spotlight, but says it was a necessary follow-through on someone now wed to the show’s lead character.

“You take a huge risk when you don’t do the show you did the year before,” Weiner explains, alluding to how Season 4 ended with Don and Megan’s engagement. “People just hated her. They were like, ‘She’s manipulative! Is he really going to marry her? Hopefully she’ll be gone.’ But I was like, ‘No, this is this guy’s second marriage, and he’s going to take it seriously.”

EYE ON EMMY | Christina Hendricks Reflects on Joan’s Rise, Mad Men‘s One Taboo Twosome

Regardless of so much ado about “Zou Bisou Bisou,” Mad Men is coming off its most-watched season, averaging 2.6 million weekly viewers (up 15 percent over Season 4). And while AMC thus far has only renewed the show for Season 6, Weiner insists that a cycle beyond that is a certainty.

“We cannot rely on the official language of things. There will be a Season 7,” he says. “Jon Hamm is signed on for it, I’m signed on for it… I mean, if Season 6 has one viewer… but I don’t think [ratings] is what it’s about. I think Season 7 has already been internationally sold… It’s going to happen.”

1. Dana says:

I’m glad Elizabeth Moss reamains on the show! And newcomer, Megan is perfect! Don’t listen to the whiners, they just don’t like change.

• Megan's HOT!!! says:

True dat. Most of the whiners complaining are bitter, middle-aged nags, anyways. That’s why they prefer wooden, bitchy Betty over someone more young and spontaneous. MW should know most of the people complaining are women……

• Royce says:

Okay first of all, I am not middle aged but I do hate Megan. She’s not independant or smart. She’s annoying and childish. She didn’t work hard to become a copywriter and she didn’t work to get the acting gig. She’s also a homewrecker. Faye was ten times the woman Megan is but Don caved into Megan’s seduction anyway. What kind of woman sleeps with her boss who she knows is taken in his office?! Plus Megan is UGLY. Jessica Pare should really do something about those teeth and probably get some acting lessons too. She is no where near the level of hotness Joan, Betty,and Jane or has the talent to as the actoresses who play them.

• Dani says:

Oh wow… Hate the character, not the actress! I don’t think Jessica Pare is ugly, but he teeth are distracting lol! But yeah I don’t like her for the same reason you don’t. In my opinion Faye was the only upgrade from Betty. I really liked her. I was shocked at how Megan knew that Don uses sex to comfort himself when things go wrong in his life. I don’t think he would have caved into having sex with her if he didn’t feel like crap over the newspaper article. I can’t wait to see Megan get a taste of her own medicine. Don won’t be happy for long, and we know that no matter how much he loves his wife, he will cheat on her if he feels crappy and a woman is seducing him.

• Sarah says:

I think it’s endearing that peple find Jessica Pare attractive even with her teeth. Not all of us can be picture perfect like Christina Hendericks and January Jones.

• Jenni says:

Yup, that is absolutely true. Don will cheat on Megan and she deserves it. I liked Faye a lot. She was like a mix between Betty and Rachel, two women Don cared about the most… Or at least had the most chemistry with. I don’t see any chemistry with Don and Megan. I know I can’t be the only one who notices that.

• Gimme A BREAK! says:

You think January Jones is beautiful? Hahaha!! She looks like the Wayans Brothers in “White Chick” who had all that rubbery prosthetic and make-up. And talented? HAHAHA! She’s the poster child for bad, emotionless wooden acting! As for Joan, her ‘jugs’ have more “talent” then she does. That’s the only thing working for her–that is if you prefer tons and tons of lardy fat and colossal hips . Way too overrated. Peggy is also a What….the….F….EVER…in the looks and talent department. How she keeps getting nominated for her lifeless/monotone acting will always be a myster to me. Jessica Pare definitely needs to work on her acting and fix those teeth, but she’s breathed life into this craptastic, dark show. Plus, she’s 21st century kinda HOT! She’s the only women on that show who doesn’t remind me of my mom or an aging secretary

• anna says:

Could you tone down the women hating a bit?

• Dani says:

Christina Henericks is ugly?! Is that why Esquire magazine named her the sexiest woman alive? Both her and January Jones are always on Maxim’s hot 100 list for a reason. They are both very heautiful and talented actress who have Emmy nominations to prove it. Where is Jessica’s nomination? She dominated this season and got nothing!

• Dana says:

That’s funny, but I’m female, middle-aged ;D. I think the Megan controversy is a no-brainier, now she’s got to stay, and grow. And I agree, Betty is stuck in the 50’s with a flat, unemotional personality of the time. There is room for both characters on the show, could make for some interesting story lines involving Sally!

• Sarah says:

I’m not trying to hate Megan. I just wish the character was more interesting. She’s totally forgettable. Has she ever said anything that’s quotable? Every charcater on the show is quotable. I also don’t see her as an independant woman. She had Don get her the acting gig. Not something an independant woman would do. Plus she whines and throws tantrums a lot. From my point of view, Don and Megan have a father daugther relationship. I just can’t get myself to like the type of woman she is.

• Dani says:

Agreed. I don’t see Megan being indepenent at all. It’s funny, I remember all these blogs saying that Don cheated on Betty because he was attracted to independent women and Betty wasn’t that so he cheated on her. Which makes no sense because not all of his mistresses were like that and he never went after them, they came after him. They think that is why he doesn’t cheat on Megan because she’s ‘independent’. Don’s recipe for cheating is simple. Unhappy Don + women seducing him = cheating Don.

• anna says:

I bet you’re one of those middle aged men who worship Don Draper.

• Jenni says:

Its not the fact that there are men who want to be Don Draper that bother me, its the fact that they think his womanizing while married makes him more of a man. Its sad that they think its out of entitlement when it was a weakness that he did try to fight.

• Dani says:

Very true. Don never wanted to cheat on anyone but it’s how he lets his vunerable side out.

2. r says:

There needs to be far less of Megan and her annoying friends and family next season. Take Betty out of that fat suit and give her something to do instead.

• Dani says:

I’m sure Betty will be thin again in season six. I’m thinking she will get a career for herself sense Henry’s job isn’t so secure. Maybe something in fashion since she’s always dressed really nice. But I’m really hoping for more Joan and Peggy. And Jane too. I know she’s not a huge character but she makes me wonder about her a lot.

• Sarah says:

I like Jane too! She’s such a fabulous wreck. I really hope there is more of her in season six.

• Dani says:

I hope so too. There are way too few interactions with Joan and Jane. I want to see Jane’s face when she finds out that Roger is the father of Joan’s baby.

3. Royce says:

Sometimes I feel like I’m watching a different show than all the Megan fans. She is so unbearable to watch. Every character in this show makes me equally like, dislike, and sympathize with them except for Megan. I can never sympathize with a woman who didn’t work to have what she has.I guess a lot of the blame should go to Jessica Pare’s acting. She just sucks.

• Dani says:

I’m guessing they are new Madmen fans who are not emotionally attached to the other characters yet. I also can’t sympathize with her. When Don left her at the hotel, I kind of hoped that was the last time that we would see her. And I wouldn’t even say that about Pete!

• Sarah says:

Lol! That’s because we love to hate Pete. Madmen wouldn’t be the same without him.

• anna says:

Agreed. It’s hard to get attached to this character who just turned up and now gets all this screen time at the expense of characters we’ve been caring about for for years.

• Jenni says:

I wish there was a story line for Don’s new secretary Dawn. There was so much they could have done with her character. And with the little screen time that she got, I could tell she’s a better actress than Jessica Pare. Btw, did anyone notice that all the women ( besides Megan) were so misireble this season? It broke my heart to see everything workout for Megan while every other female character went through so much hardship.

• anna says:

And that’s the reason why it’s so hard to care about Megan. She gets everything she wants without having to lift a finger to get it. Everyone else suffers except for Megan.

• anna says:

@ MW, get Matt Bomer!!!! – the ratings go up every season. It’s got nothing to do with the story lines of the show.

4. SHUT UP, for the love of all that's holy! says:

Boo-hoo. Megan Megan Megan! That’s what you all sound like. She’s on the show. Get over it, already. It’s not her fault “Don” has been written to remain loyal and faith to her or if she “gets everything she wants”….she’s a C-H-A-R-A-C-T-E-R, for pete’s sake! A figment of someones I-M-A-G-I-N-A-T-I-O-N. Geez. This Megan “backlash” is nothing more then a couple of bitchy women complaining non-stop about the same damn thing. We get it, you don’t like her. Next! Lets end this boring, endless, beat-the-dead-horse-50-feet-into-the-ground topic, already and discuss something new.

• Royce says:

Women are bitchesd to you because we don’t agree with you? Who’s to say were all women. I know male madmen fans who can’t stand her for the same reason. Also, the topic for this discussion is the backlash of Megan so don’t be so shocked at people express their reason for disliking her. And yes I know she’s not a real person, that doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to dislike her.

• Nat says:

I am going to be very defensive. Sure, I get that people including myself that there is heavy does of Megan on Season 5 however, I agree with Weiner that she needs a good character background because she is the wife of Don. She was the one make Don lost focus and passion of his work during the early episodes if you pay attention. She was the one change make Don more mature and responsible person like “Signal 30″ (Remember Don talk to Pete about his and Roger’s action at the party just to get the account) and “Commission and Fee” (Remember Don tried to be reason with Lane by asking his registration than firing because it will damage his reputation).

Each episode revel a different moral Don unlike the last four seasons.

However, on “The Phantom”, it seems that this relationship was a fairy tale because the episode show that Don sees Megan something else than just a “wife” and Megan is focusing on her acting career. than sitting until Don gets back. She doesn’t want to be a “trophy” wife. A wife who sits at home and wait for her husband.Don knows that if he let her go then, she will leave him because her career.
        Megan isn’t MANIPULATIVE, BUT AN INDEPENDENT YOUNG WOMAN. The big different from the marriage to Betty. She isn’t going to take it from Don.

Don learn something from Megan and I except a change from him in season six, not the womanizing one from four seasons ago.

There is a few flaws from season 5 but many people complaining that Megan hurt season 5. The big flaw of season 5 is that the whole season is very underwhelming.

• Sarah says:

If Megan isn’t manipulative, than why did she steal the audition from her own friend? Why did she sleep with a man who was already taken? And if she is so independent, why did she need Don to get her acting gig? And btw, the big difference between Don’s marriage to Megan from Betty is the lie. His lie is what kept him from having an open communication with her. He didn’t want to repeat the same mistake so he told Megan. That’s why he’s so happy with her.

• Nat says:

Megan didn’t steal the audition from her own friend. She say to Don about the audition from a friend. Pay attention. Why you blame on her when you should blame on Don? How many times that Don cheats anyway?

She needs Don to get the acting gig because she saw her friends getting parts and she is not.

Stop blaming on Megan so much.

• Sarah says:

She knew that her friend wanted that audition and she took it from her. I would call that being manipulative. And even Don told her she should find her own way into the biz without him helping even though he did anyway.I consider women like Rachel Menkins and Dr. Faye to be independent women. They didn’t have to use people to get their way. But hey, I respect your opinion. Two people can look at the same thing and see something different.I just find Megan to be a childish, annoying, uninteresting character compare to the rest of the cast.

• Nat says:

Also, another comment from the fans.

Who are cares if “you” want a certain character in screen time. It doesn’t matter as long the main storyline and the main theme is here which is downfall of man’s power at work and home and the rise of feminism.

Right now, Pete and Roger is miserable. There is uncertainty about Don. Joan and Peggy are moving up.

• anna says:

Posting under different names makes you look like a troll.

• Dani says:

If you don’t like hearing complaints about this boring, uninteresting character, then why are you here? Btw, you will get a lot farther in life if you don’t refer to women as bitches.

5. Proud Megan LOVER says:

First everyone was complaining about Megan being “too perfect” in the beginning of the season, now, when they’ve actually given her flaws she’s too “manipulative”. My God, the poor girl can never win. She’s damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t. Why don’t we just cut the crap here and admit some of you guys don’t/never have/and never will like Megan. Period. You’re bitter and stubborn and will never refuse to open up your minds and hearts to a new person whether she is good or bad. Typical.

• anna says:

You seem to be taking this really personally. Are you a related to Jessica Pare?

• Welcome to the 21st century says:

Yes, because anybody speaking positively about Megan or Jessica Pare must either be the actress herself or a member of her PR team. I also like Bradley Cooper and Sandra Bullock, I guess I must be related to them as well, right? Seriously, how old are you, 12? And look who’s talking about taking things personal. Says the person who can’t stop bitchin’ about the character. Did JP run over your cat or something? The reason why there is this perception that Megan isn’t well liked is because her haters are rabid and persistent. I’m thrilled to see so much support here for Megan. It’s about time people who like her made their voices heard. By not voting you end up with a decision (or a political leader) you’re not happy with and I don’t want to let anybody speak for me. Just because some don’t like Megan, don’t be foolish to assume everybody feels the same way. You’re not that special.

• anna says:

So much support for Megan = the same couple of people posting under different names.

• Dani says:

Lol! I noticed that too. Who ever this ONE Megan fan is must not have a life. It’s sad how he/she cannot handle the fact that there are people who do not like his/her favorite character.

• Dani says:

Keep in. Mind that everyone has their own reason for hating Megan ( she gives us a lot). I never thought Megan was perfect. I simply dislike her because she’s boring. You really need to stop generalizing people. You’re the one who has to open up your mind because you’re not seeing what everyone else is seeing.

• Intrigued says:

The scene that won me over to Megan’s character was in the Howard Johnson’s restaurant when Don insists that she eat and like the orange sherbet. She tries to order pie instead and he doesn’t let her, then expects her to have the same taste as he does. When she starts shoving the sherbet into her mouth in protest she really emerges as a strong and nuanced character. And when Don leaves her in the parking lot instead of talking through the argument, he shows how immature he is (though she hit below the belt about his mother, in a very realistic way as fights go with couples). I would like her to show more of that side, and to see Don grow in response, rather than the spoiled, one-dimensional side they have shown of Megan in much of Season 5. And we need to see Dr. Faye come back and tell off Don in a more thorough way.

6. andre says:

these last few episodes makes me want to see every one crash and burn except for Joan well maybe Joan too.

7. So, do you all still hate Megan? Gee, she’s just a fictional character?
    What pissed me off was the image of St. Marks’ Place, 1968, as a bombed-out street with a dirty boarded squat on it. It may have had a squat or two but was a cheery touristy street with the whole feeling of the times–the Hip feeling that (I like MM but) Mad Men seems to know so little about.

8. Royce says:

The reason why this season had the highest ratings was because we waited so long for it. It really doesn’t compare to the other seasons but that’s just my opinion.