Dancing With the Stars: 16 Celebs We'd Invite Back for the All-Star Season

ABC is set to reveal on Friday morning the cast of Dancing With the Stars‘ upcoming all-star season (well, save for one couple that might possibly be chosen by viewer vote).

With that in mind, we put on our thinking caps, reviewed every contestant from the past 14 seasons, and cooked up our dream roster of celebrity hoofers — with an eye on building the most competitive cast possible. And while, alas, that meant leaving out some of the funniest/wackiest “personalities” (sorry, Carson Kressley and life-sized Baby Real doll Marie Osmond), we think our 16-person list is pretty solid, giving nods to everyone from former champs who really need a second foray into sequins and fringe, to first-rate contestants who fell just short of mirrorball glory their first time at the ballroom.

Click through the gallery below to find out who made our cut, then hit the comments and tell us who we missed, and who we never should’ve included in the first place. Oh, and in cases where we picked multiple celebs who’d been paired with the same pro (see Derek, Cheryl, and Maks), let us know who you think should get his/her original partner, and who should get Tristan MacManus!

1. Ginny says:

I would love to see Giles and Cheryl back on the dance floor together, especially with another Argentine tango. I would also love to see Mel B back, as much as I loved Helio and Julianne together, Mel and Maks should have one that year.

Some stars I would like to see back have also already won before, like Kristi Yamaguchi and Shawn Johnson. I’m not sure having them back would be totally fair, though it would definitely be an All-Stars showdown then.

• Ginny says:

I forgot to mention that I think it would be best if people were paired with their original partners (if possible). Part of what made many of the dance partnerships work was the chemistry the partners had. I just can’t see Mel having that same heat with another dancer that she had with Maks, same with Giles and Cheryl.

• Jenny says:

That has been the one thing I have been wondering about if they were going to pair them with their original partners. I think they either need to make sure they are all with their original partners or none of them are. Don’t think it would be fair if some were partnered with new people and others got to be with the person they worked well with.

• TheFactsR says:

I read MelB is too busy with Xfactor to make all-stars unless she gives XFactor up to make room, I also read Shawn J had knee surgery and couldn’t make olympics,

2. Jaime says:

This might sound mean, but I only want Apolo to come back if it means he’s partnered with Juilanne again. I miss her on DWTS.

3. LC says:

What about Sabrina Bryan!? She needs another shot, went home way to early in her season.

• Ginny says:

I would love to see her back. That still stands as one of the most surprising eliminations.

• A says:

God no, not producer favorite Sabrina. Good lord, she’s been back how many times since her “shocking elimination”? Let it go. She didn’t get votes, she got kicked off. It’s unfortunate that she’ll probably be back for this all-star season, since she’s currently doing the Vegas show. I’d rather watch Kate Gosselin dance again.

• Caitlin says:

She’s a great dancer! Too bad she went home too early again

• Marguerite McGee says:

Sabrina and Mark should have been partners to get that second chance. Mark does not stand a chance with Bristol. Mario Lopez should have been there. But if he is busy. We can all understand. And he should have been the winner in his season. They should not have had winners. Give others a chance. Although some of the winners did not deserve it.:(

4. emmits says:

if it’s the most competitve season, based solely on skill, you forgot Melissa Rycroft and Sabrina Bryant

5. Amanda says:

As much as I love Drew Lachey and some of the winners, I don’t particularly want the all star season to have former winners, except maybe John O’Hurley b/c he technically only won in a rematch and the show has grown so much since season 1, it would be cool to see him back in the bigger, glitzier ballroom. But overall I think the all stars season should focus on people who were incredibly good but did not win, to give them a second chance. So I applaud your inclusion of people like Joanna Krupa, Giles Marini, Mel B, and Joey Lawrence. But what about Sabrina Bryan, Lisa Rinna, Mario Lopez? And I pray they stay away from people who are just not good dancers–Marie Osmond, Bristol Palin, Master P, Kate Gosslyn. I’d even have to throw Kirsty Alley into that list, even though she wasn’t as bad as those three, she certainly didn’t deserve a spot in the finals, and I don’t see how her dancing ability could possible be considered all star material.

• TheFactsR says:

Kirstie Alley is up to her eyeballs in lawsuits right now, it would be a BIG mistake to bring Kirstie back now, a CLASS-Action lawsuit is not little baby! IT is a biggie!

6. Tom_b says:

They should bring back Lance Bass and Lacey. And Cristian De la Fuente since his injury ruined his last two weeks. No winners!!!

7. CC says:

My picks for the all star season were Apolo, Gilles and Mel. Glad that you agreed with this, too.

8. Jenny says:

Don’t want to see any winners this season. I would rather it be a season of people that came close to winning or didn’t go as far as they should have. Would like to see people like Joey Fatone, Sabrina Bryant, Joey McIntyre, and Mel B.

9. Kim says:

YES to Gilles. Big no to Nicole. She was a ringer.

10. DreamRose311 says:

Bring Mya back since I think she definitely deserved the win over Donny Osmond…

I think it would be best if nobody was paired with their original partners. Yes, the chemistry is what made some of the pairs, but since they’ll have all danced, that would be a good challenge to throw in to make it new and interesting. And especially since there are likely to be all stars that shared a partner, this would make it more fair too…

11. Allison P says:

I personally wish that past winners aren’t brought back, as much as I love so many of them. Let those that should have won (but lost thanks to their freestyle) or those who were gone too early due to fan base and/or just lack of voting that week have another shot at a mirrorball.
    At the very least, I hope they don’t bring back the likes of Bristol Palin or Nancy Grace…

• TheFactsR says:

when has DWTS ever done what the VIEWERS WANTED? That is why they are dropping ratings like a lead rock out of an airplane

12. MuzzikLvr says:

Too many winners. Either have all winners compete…or better yet, bring back contestants who made it to the semi-finals but didn’t win.

13. cjinsd says:

I don’t want any past winners in this. I’d like to the best of the rest, especially those who got dumped too early, like Sabrina. Oh, and no “controversial” dancers; they just drag the show down. I’d really love to see Maks and Mel B.

• TheFactsR says:

Sorry to deflate your bubble over MelB but unless her schedule has changed, MelB will be doing the Xfactor in AUS land ; )

14. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

I would prefer to see Kelly Monaco — the REAL winner of Season 1 — over that overgrown crybaby O’Hurley. He was a sore loser. That to me does not an All Star make.

• Kosha says:

John O’Hurley was not a sore loser – he was quite gracious in his loss. She on the other hand was a sore winner! He was truly the better dancer and she only won because she wore next to nothing on the dance floor. The reason they had a rematch was because fans were so outraged by John’s loss to a far lesser dancer!!! I’ve been watching since season 1 and he was by far the better dancer!

• No, but nice try. lmao He was a sore loser, she was a very gracious winner. Never bragged about it or anything and agreed to a rematch that shouldn’t have been done in the first place. Kelly was the better dancer and John couldn’t handle it, he was a big fat crybaby about it.

• Agreed. He was such a whiner and a sore loser, take it like a man dude. You LOST, get over it.

• malei02 says:

yes, like to see her w/Derek.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was kind of hoping they wouldn’t bring back any past winners. I just want to see people who were runner ups get another chance. People like Gilles Marini and Kirstie Alley.

16. Sam says:

First off, no past winners should come back, that’s just not how All-Star seasons work. They’re for people who were amazing but weren’t able to win. But Brandy and Maks need to come back as a pair because the Bristol Palin phenom that pushed them out unfairly early still annoys me because they were amazing.

17. Thea says:

I thought this season was supposed to be for people who didn’t win? Save the winners for another season where we can see who’s “the best of the best.” I’d love to have Sabrina and Kirstie on again for sure! And Brandy too, maybe with Tony?

18. Amanda says:

No winners! I don’t want to see them compete again. That’s no fun.

19. Nina says:

And Sabrina Bryan!!! She HAS to come back. <3

20. Elle says:

I agree with others; no previous winners. I’d love to see Sabrina Bryan, Lance Bass, Joey Fatone and Mel B back.

21. jaime says:

i think mario lopez already said that he’s coming back, so you left him out. :( I thought he was an exceptional dancer but that was when people seemed to start their hate for Karina b/c she didn’t handle that loss well. obviously, she’s overcome it b/c she won with JR but it seemed like no one liked her on the message boards (ew.com) prior to that b/c of her stank attitude the year with Mario

22. Christian says:

Uh… Lil’ Kim? C’mon!

23. MuzzikLvr says:

As much as I like Kirsty, Carson and Chaz…I’d like to see them only cast dancers of the same calibre. Now, that would make a great season.

24. Nancy says:

No list without Joey Fatone is complete!!!

25. Vivi says:

Surprised not to see Kyle Massey on the list. Despite his size, he was a great dancer that kept on growing each week. Plus, he had personality to boot. He was my favorite dancer that season. In fact, his presence made me watch that whole season. I always said to myself that the day he got voted off, I will stop watching. Well, of course, he didn’t.

• Maggie says:

agreed! I loved Kyle & Lacey as a pair, they were so much fun! I would also add Julianne & Cody, they were great too & I’d like to see how much the 2 guys have grown up bc they were really young during their seasons

26. soarin829 says:

I agree with most other posters, no repeat winners. That doesn’t seem fair, even though I’d love to see some of them again. One contestant I’d love to see that hasn’t been mentioned is Ty :) I LOVED him! And I really grew! Granted he wasn’t on par with MANY of the all-stars suggested, but I dunno… I guess I just wanted to see him again ;)
    And PS it would be SUPER fun to have both Lance and Joey Fatone on together – *NSYNC BABY!!

27. TheFactsR says:

You have almost a tourny of CHAMPIONS and I don’t think the Champs of any season should be included!

This should be the ONES who didn’t make the WIN!

If you want the winners back then have a tourny of CHAMPS!

BUT YOU KNOW Carson WILL BE back don’t you! Reguardless if he can actually dance or not!

28. TheFactsR says:

OF course I would like to pick a few pros to NOT RETURN also. It is NOT only the cast like Bristol, Carson, ect who couldn’t dance, but some PROS that don’t filter themselves and should NOT be asked back.

29. TheFactsR says:

AND MARIE OSMOND was more entertaining than MANY past dancers, such as Bristol, Kate, Kirstie, Chaz, Nancy Grace, Cloris L, and many many others.

30. Jessica says:

I definitely would love to see Kelly Monaco back! I love the way she danced and her personality behind the scenes was hilarious.

31. Jules says:

NO PAST WINNERS!!!! I’d rather see Kirstie, Ricki and Gladys over someone who already won!!! It should give those who ALMOST won a second chance!!

32. Amanda says:

I think Giles,Sabrina Bryan,Kelly Osbourne,Kyle Massey,Stacey Kiebler,and Sherry Shephard should be back. I don’t think they should bring back former winners and I think everyone should be paired with a different partner, just to make it more fair.

33. Suzanne says:

I would also love to see Kelly Monaco back. I think she was absolutely great. But it is interferes with her shooting General Hospital then I would rather her stay on G.H.

34. Michael C. says:

I agree, no past winners should be included. And I also agree they should shake up the pairings so each contestant has to work with a new, different pro–would make for much more interesting viewing. And please, if there is a God, make sure Dmitry Chaplin is a pro this year!

35. llws88 says:

ummm…WHERE IS MYA?

36. Jen says:

This list is lousy. It’s almost all winners and runners up. As many people have mentioned, Melissa Rycroft, Sabrina Bryan, Joey Fatone…they’d all be great All Stars. And the audience would love Carson Kressley to return.

37. Beth Ann says:

Joey McIntyre!

38. Jnice says:

Evan Lysacek was robbed!
    Jason Taylor(sp?) With Edyta were amazing!
    There was another football player, can’t think of his name, but he was a big guy.
    Joey Fatone was hilarious! Layla Ali was great too!

39. Roma Kong says:

I’m actually really excited for this. I’ve wanted an All-Star season for oh! so long.

As much as I LOVE Nicole, Kristi, Apolo, Jennifer and the like… I’m not gonna include any past winners cause I think it would be boring… they need to give other stars a chance. So this is my list. I think it’s pretty awesome since I’ve included every non-winner who could have easily given the winner a run for their money or maybe even deserved it way more than the actual winner (::cough:: Gilles Marini :: cough::). Also included is every pro that NEEDS to be on an All-Star season (except for Julianne, since there’s no way she’ll ever come back to the show). So, here it is:

1) Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke
    2) Sabrina Bryan & Mark Ballas
    3) Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani
    4) Joey Fatone & Kym Johnson
    5) Kyle Massey or Lance Bass & Lacey Schwimmer
    6) Evan Lysacek & Anna Trebunskaya
    7) Kelly Osbourne & Louis van Amstel
    8) Jason Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska
    9) Mya & Dmitry Chaplin
    10) Joanna Krupa & Derek Hough
    11) Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff
    12) Mel B & Maksim Chmerkovskiy
    13) Romeo or Ty Murray & Chelsie Hightower

• Pamela Dunbar says:

I agree with some of these: Joey Fatone, Kyle Massey, Kelly Osbourne, Mario Lopez, Mel B & Romeo.
      I would also include Vivica A Fox, Sherri Shepherd, Jaleel White, Melissa Gilbert,Jack Wagner, Maria Menounos, Gladys Knight. As well as Stacyy Keibler /w Tony Dovoloni, Kirstie Alley/w Maksim Chmerkovskiy, Joey Lawrrnce/w Edyta Sliwinska,
      I too don’ think that past winners should be allowed to come back. I think that this should be open for all past non winner. Like you said give someone else a chance.

• Ginny says:

Oh my, how could I forget Evan. He and Anna were just so adorable together and he was just a lot of fun.

• Marguerite McGee says:

I so agree with the list. Please. Please can it be so:)

40. matthew c says:

The only thing I care about is getting Lisa Rinna back! Bring back LISA RINNA!

41. Tony says:

Where is Kelly Monaco, the very first winner??!!!

42. jennyst123 says:

I’m a Derek Hough fan so if either Joanna Krupa or Nicole make it back to dance with Derek I’ll be a happy camper. I’d also like to see Melissa Rycroft come back. The one person I DO NOT want to see is Bristol Palin! Or any other political person on the show during a political season. We get enough campaign crap on tv without having to load up the show with more.

43. Angela says:

I honestly don’t know who I’d pick to be with Tristan, but I do think it should be someone whom he can have some proper chemistry with. He got on well with his previous partners, sure, which is lovely. And during the fun, silly dances they were fantastic together. But when it came to the sexy dances, it was harder to get the much-needed chemistry and emotion going because there wasn’t any of that in the partnership. So maybe pick someone close to his age, who might be more likely to stick around for a while?
    I’d also be very happy with Gilles Marini coming back. And I’m with all the others-if they’ve won, great as they were and much as I loved many of the winners, they shouldn’t be coming back. This should be for anyone who missed out on their chance at winning in the past.

44. Ben says:

I think they could pull together an excellent cast using all the runners-up.

45. Pati D says:

Mya and Dmitri; they we hot during their season. I would love to see them back for all-stars.

46. katiyasexton says:

I haven’t watched regularly every week since the season with Shawn and Mark winning even though I have tuned back last season. If they have the right mix of All Stars I’m all in. I would love to see everyone on Roma Kong’s list. Although to see Stacey with Tony would be more to my liking honestly but we know that’s not gonna happen lol. Not sure Edyta would come back either and Jason Taylor still plays football if I’m not mistaken. I loved Joanna and Derek and Cheryl and Giles, I’d watch for that alone~

47. brian222202 says:

JOANNA KRUPA & DEREK HOUGH…they were so robbed in their season simply b/c female voters did not like that she was beautiful. That season brought some of DEREK’s greatest choreography–who can ever forget the FUTURISTIC PASO DOBLE, the greatest dance I have seen on DWTS–the make a great pair and would love to see her get her dues again on DWTS.

48. Pamela Dunbar says:

I think that there should be no former winner it would not give the other people much of a chance. If you want to include former winners have a season you bring back all past winner and have a dance off of the past winners.

I think you should bring back former non winners like Stacy Keibler, Kirstie Alley, Joey Lawrence, Mel B, Gilles marini, John O’Hurley, Joanna Krupa, kelly Osbourne, Vivica A Fox, Sherri Shepherd, Jaleel White, Melissa Gilbert, Jack Wagner, Maria Menounos, & Gladys Knight. Theirn partners don’t matter they may do better if paired with the same partner they had but why not mix it up and give them a different partner?

49. Marguerite McGee says:

If Sabrina has to get a second chance she should be dancing with Mark.:) And no winners should be in the All Stars. Who agree say EYE:)