Political Animals: Could Buzz Offset Soft Ratings and Beget a Season 2? And With the Same Cast?

Though Political Animals, USA Network’s star-studded “limited series event,” by no means roared out of the gate ratings-wise, laying claim to a piece of the pop culture conversation and generating buzz in other ways could – could – be enough to trigger a Season 2 pick-up.

Facing stiff competition in its July 15 bow – including Breaking Bad‘s final season opener, HBO’s noisy if polarizing The Newsroom and A&E’s ever-rising LongmirePolitical Animals started off with an audience of 2.6 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating. In Week 2, those numbers dipped, about 10 percent.

But when asked if there was a ratings target/minimum that would prompt a renewal order, NBC Universal chair Bonnie Hammer shook her head and told TVLine, “We never quite measure it that black-and-white. We want to see what the response is, we want to see who comes [and see] what kind of interesting buzz it brings to USA as a whole.

“It’s never just, ‘Do you hit a certain rating?'” she reiterated. “It’s really about the whole, what it adds to USA as a brand.”

Though Political Animals was from the get-go announced as a six-week limited series, series creator Greg Berlanti tells us “the hope” has always been to tell more stories about the Barrish family (fronted by Sigourney Weaver), intrepid journo Susan Berg (Carla Gugino) et al.

“Everyone is contracted for multiple seasons if we get picked up for multiple seasons,” Berlanti says. “We have a whole life of the characters [planned out], some of which is set up in these six [episodes], and a lot of which we pay off in these six.”

“The curtain can come down [after] six and hopefully you’ll be satisfied with what’s gone on,” adds executive producer Laurence Mark. “But we’re happy to raise the curtain again!”

Two weeks in, what’s your read on Political Animals? Do you vote yea or nay?

1. Norine says:

Love this show!!!! Sigourney Weaver’s best performance! Keep the season’s coming!

2. holly says:

Really enjoy this show!

3. Rob Luciano says:

The whole family loved the first six episodes and really hope NBC Universal/USA will bring Political Animals back for more….

4. Sandy says:

I love the show and the cast!! Hope to see it return along with the same cast.

5. Lou says:

I love this show, very busy schedule, watched the first episode, on DVR the day after it ran, just watched the last episode. Hope it gets picked up! I am hooked.

6. Luanne says:

We love this show! Absolutely bring it back!

7. Sandra says:

Loved the show, want another season. I think there was not enough advertisement. Please bring back!!

8. Jayson valcik says:

Give us a season 2!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great show!

9. Gary says:

MANY OF YOU HAVE IT ALL WRONG- Not Sunday Night!!

Yes, I too love Political Animals…..

However, those of you who mentioned needing something good for Sunday night can’t truly be Political Animal fans, or you would also like the jam packed line-up already on Sunday night; Dexter, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire, Good Wife, Revenge……

No, USA, pick a night when you can get intelligent people to view your fabulous show and hopefully renewed series, Political Animals.

10. Jay Emerson says:

LOVE THIS SHOW!! please keep it for a second season. Its very addictive!

11. Gary says:

I vote YEAH, YEAH, YEAH to more POLITICAL ANIMALS!!!

NOTE: ALL Readers- PLEASE VOTE NOW….

12. yes and yes again.. I am so tired of cops show and reality series that offer nothing. This was a really good series and I hoped that USA renews it for a 2nd year. It different and addictive.

13. Reginal Jaramillo says:

Personally i love the show, mostly admiring S. Weaver and S. Stan .he drama and picture and music and story leaves me in yearn for more. please (cubed) season two {which is a must} 16 episode min.
    I promise to buy digital season pass lol.

14. Francie Brown says:

I LOVE this show, I hope they bring it back, please, please, please bring this back!!! I have all my family and friends watching this.

15. Lisa B. Cooper says:

I have never lobbied for a show to return in my life. But I must admit I looked forward to watching it. Remember, not everyone who has cable is watching HBO because they can’t afford the premium channels anymore. Political Animals needs to have a full season and the same hype as “Mad Men.” Someone in charge at USA Network is not giving it a level playing field. Of course, it doesn’t have ratings in the summer on Sunday nights. If you’re not committed, USA Network, don’t tease people–the public or the actors.

16. Chris says:

Love political animals,just watched all 6 episodes AMAZING cast. Sigourney Weaver and Ciaran Hinds are a match made in heaven,they keep each other going.Would like to see more seasons.

17. Mandy says:

Loved the show, definitely want it to come back for another season.

18. Chelsie09 says:

U have to keep this show

19. They better. Finally a show me and my partner can enjoy together. Love the actors, character, and story line. It’s a smart show and the USA network would be wrong to cancel it and I rarely watch that network.

20. christy boyd says:

Best show ever plz a season 2

21. みぎはぃ says:

I needed to compose you that tiny word to be able to thank you very much once again on the wonderful knowledge you have shared in this case. It was so pretty generous of people like you to supply easily just what a few people might have advertised as an e-book to end up making some cash on their own, most notably considering the fact that you might have tried it in the event you wanted. These tricks as well worked as a easy way to be certain that other individuals have similar zeal like my o

22. I tried taking a look at your web site with my new iphone 4 and the design doesnt seem to be correct. Might want to check it out on WAP as well as it seems most smartphone layouts are not really working with your web site.

23. Carol says:

PLEASE produce Season 2 – It took mr a long time to get around to watching this show
    & when I finally did, I fell in love with it!