Fall TV Preview

Fox Boss Says Handful of Glee Actors Back For 'Limited' Runs, Touts 'Feisty' Britney on X Factor

Get More: Fall TV Preview

Fox president Kevin Reilly is giving Glee‘s upcoming mini-reboot a big thumbs up, while also managing expectations about how involved some of the core castmembers will be moving forward.

“I’ve read first three scripts and I’m very happy with how seamless [the transition] is,” Reilly told reporters at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in Beverly Hills, adding that the show will split its focus between McKinley and NYADA, where Rachel is enrolled as a freshman. “There’s going to be thematic linkages between the two [worlds].”

RELATED | Meet Rachel’s New Love Interest

Although it’s been widely reported that all major Glee stars will be back for Season 4, Reilly acknowledged that several actors will only be around part time. “We have a core [group consisting] of some of the returning characters and some of the new ones that we’ll be servicing every week, and then limited deals with some of the other actors, who will be joining here and there through the season,” he said. “I think it will make for a fun surprise [when they turn up].”

Other highlights from Fox’s exec session at press tour…

* X Factor fans should expect a “tough” Britney Spears when the pop star debuts this fall as a judge. “I think [viewers] are going to be surprised just how feisty she is,” he predicted. “She’s tough. She knows what she’s doing… And I think we’ve got a real spitfire with [fellow judge] Demi [Lovato], who literally Day 1 took on Simon [Cowell].”

RELATED | Leonard Nimoy Blasts Emmy Voters Over Fringe Snub

* Reilly hopes Fox’s renewal of Fringe for a fifth and final season earned the network “a little cred” with genre fans burned by the premature cancellations of Firefly, Wonderfalls, Human Target, etc.

Comments (65)

• Well FOX did earn lots of creds from this Fringe fan for the shows renewal! :D

Comment by Dane SA – July 23, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed – 100 episodes in five seasons is a great run, and (hopefully) we get closure. We can’t ask for more than that. Not saying that all is forgiven re: Firefly, Human Target – but at least they didn’t “retool” the show completely in between seasons.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – July 23, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • read: we’ll see Dianna Agron at Christmas and Graduation

Comment by Dave – July 23, 2012 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, pretty much what I took from it. The only graduates who will have a sizable part on the show are Lea Michele, Cory Monteith, Chris Colfer and Naya Rivera. I’m sure Dianna Agron, Mark Salling, Amber Riley and Harry Shum Jr. will pop in but they’re not going to have a big part in the series.

Comment by dude – July 23, 2012 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s maybe because Rachel, Kurt and Santana are Ryan Murphy’s favorites, but aren’t ours. We want to see Quinn, Puck and even Mercedes. I bet they’ll put those three in every single episode, while Quinn may not even show up on Christmas!

Comment by Phil – July 23, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are the thematic linkages the “revolutionary idea”?

Comment by blueb – July 23, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • poor Dianna

Comment by agroz – July 23, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know what you mean by that. It’s undoubtedly her choice; she’s got at least one film role lined up, with Luc Besson and Robert DeNiro. “Glee” hasn’t been of any real value to her career in a good while.

Comment by Sean C. – July 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I suppose. But I’ll just really miss her. And Quinn (seeing her every week). But if she wants to do more movies and films, I wish her luck. At least she’ll show up for holidays.

Comment by agroz – July 23, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I seriously doubt it’s completely her choice. I’m sure she may have wanted to leave but really, she just wasn’t asked back. period. If they wanted her, they would have willingly rearranged time for her movie, etc, just like they’ve done in the past.

Comment by Nope – July 23, 2012 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not true. This was the chance that all the vets had to either renegotiate there contracts or get the heck out and she chose the latter.

Comment by Amy – July 23, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If that’s what you have to believe.

Comment by dude – July 23, 2012 01:35 PM PDT
        • Of the four grads being downgraded to occasional appearances, Dianna’s the only one I think the producers might have kept on as a regular if she wanted it. Even though the character has in many respects been flailing since the Front 13 of Season 1, she’s kept getting storylines and focus.

Comment by Sean C. – July 23, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure she’s happy to have the freedom to do films (I don’t see her becoming the next Jennifer Lawrence but I wish her success) but I wouldn’t say this was entirely her choice. Glee hasn’t known what to do with Quinn since the back nine of season one. She’s basically been tossed around the show the past three years for the sheer fact she pretties up the cast portraits. This may work out well for her but this was likely just as much Glee’s decision as it was hers.

Comment by dude – July 23, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree that she’s been lost for a long time (though that’s true of many characters on the show), but the writers still viewed her as important, and she was one of the more high-profile castmembers. If she had wanted to stay full-time I think she could have, but Dianna didn’t.

Comment by Sean C. – July 23, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Quinn, Mercedes, puck, and mike are gone damn glee :(

Comment by Katie – July 23, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah I thought glee was supposed to be revolutionary and that the new season was to be something no one has ever seen before….because it’ll take place in New York and Ohio?? Not sure that’s exactly revolutionary but ok

Comment by Nick – July 23, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do hope we see a bit more of Mark since they’ve cast his half brother.

Comment by Laure – July 23, 2012 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess we gonna see them when Mr Shue and Emma have their wedding!!!!! And yes, maybe at christmas and the season finale! : ( but i really want to know new characters and other stories…so i will give them a chance hahahaha

Comment by Maru – July 23, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what sucks? They didn’t even give the vets leaving a proper send off

Comment by Amy – July 23, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They gave them a graduation. What else do you want?

Comment by KSM – July 23, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • A lot more than they got. Mercedes and Mike got what? A line saying they were going to LA and Chicago? Puck got to graduate but he didn’t want to stay in Lima. So what is he doing now? Why doesn’t he get to follow his dream? Quinn at least got a half-way decent send-off but that’s about it.

Comment by Emmie – July 23, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with Emmie. Rachel got this huge ending to her high school period (with a little bit of Finn’s future in it), we saw her endlessly wandering through New York and other characters like Mike, Mercedes and Puck got written off with a few lines of ‘oh by the way, I’m going there and there’. Quinn got her’s episodes back but it wasn’t all that much either. None of the characters but Rachel had a real proper good bye

Comment by Annie – July 23, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So we’ll see Dianna, Amber, Mark and Harry just at: Will and Emma’s wedding, Christmas, Graduation. Also, I think they’ll do something through Quinn and Rachel (those tickets…)

Comment by Marco from Italy. – July 23, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and we might see Puck visiting his half brother!

Comment by Jake – July 23, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it will be a faberry episode.

Comment by agroz – July 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So in other words — because we really screwed up with regards to making a full decision on fishing or cut bait with the graduating McKinnley kids, and didn’t think through the backlash from fans on any of our indecisions, we have instead decided to have mini-inconsequential storylines that will surprise (read irritate) fans when we have certain actors come back for 5 minutes in the course of one or two episodes. Way to go Fox — glad you really thought this all the way through.

Comment by CA – July 23, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hard to put any credibility into what Mr. Reilly says.

Comment by Boiler – July 23, 2012 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee’s fourth season is going to be a mess.

Comment by Ash – July 23, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this cements my dislike of Glee. I’m finished with it. I may tune in to see the episodes that feature Puck but that’s it. I’m tired of them rewarding a few groups of fans and just constantly ignoring others.

Comment by Mo – July 23, 2012 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 is going to be a mess. Hope they have you announce with episodes Puck is going to be on since those are the only ones I’ll be watching. And the network is stupid if they think that I’ll watch for this new half-brother of his. This new character is not a substitute for the one I like.

Comment by Emmie – July 23, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think it will be fun seeing various characters pop up throughout the season, especially since some of those characters are the ones I liked. I’m done with the show so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

Comment by laurel – July 23, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fun? They think it’ll be fun to see your favorites pop up? Not if they’re your favorites. And what makes them think that everyone will stick around for that just to see their favorites show up once or twice a season? I’m not sticking around for that. I want to see Puck every week, not twice a year. They should have just made them all seniors and graduated them to New York together. This revolutionary idea isn’t revolutionary at all.

Comment by CC – July 23, 2012 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more Quinn?!!! Will definitely be watching season 4 then if they’re no longer going to waste screen time on that sad sack anymore. Sad about Amber and Harry though.

Comment by Sha – July 23, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Why would fans want to see another Brittany Spears episode, when the first was pretty bad? That isn’t the say the Heather Morris was bad, just the episode was bad. (and yes I get that this is because of X-Factor)

2. Ok Rielly — you note that there are fan favorites — and yet you think that just happening to have them pop in at random will be fun?!! How about annoying, since I think most of us would prefer to see well thought out storylines and not just random pop ups.

3. Nothing I’ve read yet leads me to believe the season 4 isn’t going to be anything other then a mess — and this coming from an avowed Glee fan. In what way can having only one character, regardless of perceived star status, come back in all make up in anyway that you built a friggin’ ensemble cast that you’ve now decided to just throw away. How I long for seasons 1 and 2!

Comment by Chris – July 23, 2012 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Quinn, no me. Sorry Fox.

Comment by tony – July 23, 2012 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just no Damian or Samuel Larsen please. And bring Unique back.

Comment by mike – July 23, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Damian isn’t coming back, nor is Lindsay. Samuel and Alex apparently will.

Comment by Annie – July 23, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So no Quinn or Mercedes = me out

Comment by carla – July 23, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All I care to hear about is whenever Dave comes back to bring some resolution to that storyline. (Since they left him in a hospital bed and all.)

Comment by Lisa – July 23, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I gonna miss Quinn but I am not really surprised by this at all

Comment by Adam – July 23, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t like how they ended Kurt! He didn’t get in to NYADA, but there was no follow-up between him and his dad or Blaine about him not getting in and being upset about it. It’s like them left him hanging!

Comment by GleekyBabyGirl (@gleeky_babygirl) – July 23, 2012 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Kurt always got the shaft and they did it to him again (NYADA rejection) but I think they are having him go into the fashion business (Sarah Jessica Parker as mentor) so hopefully that will work out. I just wonder how they will handle Blaine and Kurt’s relationship. I know the actors want some drama/conflict so wonder how that will play out. I just hope they don’t have Sebastian try to get with Blaine because that would be a slap in the face for Kurt and I hope Blaine is smarter than that (due to what happened in season 3) but then again that would definitely be a main source of drama/conflict and knowing the writers as they do, they would probably try that. If they break them up, I hope somehow they will find each other again in the future if it is meant to be (like when Blaine graduates at end of season 4).

Comment by Kay – July 25, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guessing we will see Puck/Mercedes/Mike/Quinn probably 3 time this season. While character we would care less about(The Glee Project kids+recent cast addition) are forced down our throat. Prediction – Glee Ratings hit under 5mil and 2.0 18/49 and its announce next season is a half season and its last

Comment by ggny – July 23, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s hope the writers learned their lesson from Season 3 and make the stories more meaningful. Also, I hope we don’t get “The Rachel Show” every week, I get that she’s the star, but let’s dive into the others characters a bit deeper!

Comment by Lily_Girl – July 23, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All signs point to this being very Rachel-centric season. Why else would she be THE ONLY character that will show up in all episodes?

Comment by jason – July 23, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s a though – watch season 4 before passing judgement. Like real life, you won’t always be happy with the choices made by people (real or in TV land). I’m a huge Glee fan and look forward to seeing what happens to these characters – even if I’m not happy with it.

Comment by FGP – July 23, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is sort of the main criticism….that we aren’t going to be seeing what happens to “these characters” but to one main character with the others thrown in as an afterthought.

Comment by jason – July 23, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Fox you did earn credit for giving Fringe its final season but I don’t think there is ever going to be anything you can do to make up for cancelling Firefly after 14 episodes. Ever.

Comment by Kelly – July 23, 2012 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think even John Noble noted that they only reason Fringe was given it’s last half season was because of what happened with Firefly. Fox knows it screwed up with Firefly, could have followed suit with Fringe, so I will take this as a win and enjoy my Firefly DVDs and the last season of Fringe.

Comment by Chris – July 23, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. At least they are making an effort. They even gave Dollhouse an extra season when the ratings really didn’t merit it, so they are at least trying to change their “cancel first, ask questions later” reputation.

Comment by Kristina – July 23, 2012 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think less of the originals will end up badly for Glee.The ones who remain aren’t horribly interesting.They just tossed a large amount of talent and have no second stringers.

Comment by Shaun – July 23, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Dianna Agron- if you don’t want to be thought of as a cheerleader for the rest of your acting career, then don’t take a role as a cheerleader. Three years was plenty. Good luck out there doing your real “acting”.

Comment by Denver Military Dad – July 23, 2012 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s wait and see what happens….I’m giving this 4th season a shot… People are anxious to see what’s the deal, but let’s keep our fingers crossed… I just hope that the show doesn’t turn into a “Lea Michelle/Rachel Berry” thing…. And Dianna Agron, she’s way much bigger than all of this… Why can’t they just foccus the storylines on the original cast? It would be awesome!! For me, that’s Glee’s essence…

Comment by Jakejakita – July 23, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I guess I’ll only be watching Glee avidly when Puck, Quinn and/or Mercedes are in it then – i.e. about 3 episodes! I like Rachel and Santana too, so the New York-focused episodes might not be so bad, but Kurt has annoyed me since season 1… Such a shame the talent of Amber Riley and Dianna Agron was so underused for 3 years, they haven’t known what to do with either character since season 1!

Comment by JC – July 23, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Quite disappointed in hearing this news because I adore Quinn and love Mercedes singing. Also will miss Puck. It seems they only wanted to keep the ones they wanted and not the characters I and many others loved.

Comment by Cindy – July 23, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know that some are really disappointed with the absence of certain characters, but at least wait to see how they are going revamp the show before completely dismissing it.
    As much as I like Quinn and Puck, etc., this show is still about “music” at its core. Quinn is going to Yale to study who knows what, Puck is doing something with pools, Mike is going to dance school, I mean what more can they do but have them pop up here and there. Harry’s character to be honest, while I never disliked him, always felt like a background character and let’s face it sometimes you need that in shows. And Mercedes while a great singer was always kind of whiny and annoying and maybe its because of what Amber was given to work with but if she were to be a regular, her character needs some serious work.
    They can’t let all the characters come back and have a story line each episode because then there would be like 20 story lines.

Comment by A – July 23, 2012 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These 2 new guys might be interesting- provided they can act and don’t get absolutely ridiculous plot lines. I’m just going to assume Tike is breaking up, since I can’t imagine Mike being brought in for many episodes, and you know the only extended storyline Tina will get will have to involve a boy. Beyond that, I just really want to know when Karofsky will be back.

Comment by Devin – July 23, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only glee news i care about is what episode dave will come back in. This show has become way too disappointing for me to watch any other part of it.

Comment by James – July 23, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why isnt Wonderfalls back on tv in some kind of calacity…ifc maybe??!! Love fringe glad its getting a deserved send off, many series r not so lucky

Comment by aim – July 23, 2012 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nope. Fox cannot make up for cancelling the exceptional ‘Chicago Code’.

Comment by Ana – July 23, 2012 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope every glee cast back in Season 4

Comment by j – July 24, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Makes me laugh when people complain about the limited time some of the graduated charachters will be getting. Would you really prefer a show that pidgeon holes them all into a season for the sake of it. It’s often the problem with dramas based around school settings because they try too hard to force a story that keeps the cast together when it’s not realistic. One or two are workable but certainly no more than that.

And Friday Night Lights was able to change its young cast members making the adult charachters the anchor and you still quickly found a way to care about the new young cast members no matter how popular the charachter they replaced and was able to give them all good goodbye arc was so why can’t Glee pull that off.

Comment by Wakey – July 24, 2012 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post