Report: Mariah Carey Finalizing Deal to Join American Idol as Judge

Pop diva Mariah Carey is reportedly thisclose to becoming the newest American Idol judge.

Our sister site, Deadline.com, dishes that Carey’s salary would top $17 million for next season – more than departing judge Jennifer Lopez.

Lopez and colleague Steven Tyler both announced their exits from the Fox singing competition last week, and Randy Jackson is rumored to be leaving the judge’s table for a mentor position at the show.

RELATED | American Idol: 14 Dream Candidates to Replace Steven, Randy and J.Lo as Judges

There’s also buzz about former contestant/pop singer Adam Lambert and The Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie joining Idol for Season 12.

What do you think about Carey joining the show? Sound off in the comments!

1. George says:

So much for cutting the budget…

2. Danny says:

At least she’s got some talent. The one she’s replaced had none. How this translates to being a judge remains to be seen. In sports, most of the great players were lousy coaches. Still, Mariah can’t be any worse than Jennifer.

3. Jason says:

Mariah at least is known for not being shy about her opinions. Unlike JLO or Steven, she will say when someone sucked.

4. Mark says:

I’d love Fergie on it. That’d be pretty awesome. I don’t see why Mariah is a big draw though? She hasn’t seemed relevant to me in years.

5. junebug1 says:

Once again, Idol will be all about the celebrity judge(s). Sad.

6. Carrie says:

I feel like she’s too good for this show. It’s past its prime. However, I’d feel compelled to watch at least some of the new season if she were a judge. Without her, I’d have no desire to watch at all.

7. Amanda says:

Maybe her contract will force contestants to stop covering her songs.

• TheBeach says:

I’m afraid having Mariah as a judge would just encourage the contestants to use even more over-singing and vocal gymnastics than they already do.

8. San34601 says:

Well … I have officially watched my LAST AI !!

• Templar says:

I’m not sure I’ll go that far, but i’d definitely mute her opinions. But, if they don’t limit the voting, I’m done with the show anyway, no matter who judges.

9. chris says:

How about Michael Buble as well.

10. Ally says:

Boo. Can’t say I care for Mariah.Would love to see Fervor though.

11. Nicholas says:

Seriously, she married Nick Canon. Like anybody will take her opinion seriously.

12. Billy says:

God! Has Mariah become so Desparate that she has to do this show? I don’t know if I can watch it now.

13. Mia says:

I don’t care for Mariah, but credit where it’s due – the lady can sing, and will therefore have 100% more cred than Paula or J Lo ever did/will in knowing what she’s talking about when judging singing ability.

14. Annalu says:

Yuk…never liked her piercing voice. She should be paying AI for promoting her.

15. Kail says:

I actually think American Idol is too beneath Mariah. In my opinion I don’t even think they can afford her. This just isn’t a good fit to me, Mariah please try other revenues doll.

16. Malcolm says:

She’s one of the ultimate technical singers in term of range and dynamics. I’ve heard speak that she knows her singing terminology, so hopefully this translates into valid critiques. Hopefully she’s also a good speaker so she voice her opinions properly.

17. Pattygale says:

I really was hoping they’d get judges I want to see/hear this time. I was excited about Steven and he bombed, but as much as I admire Mariah’s vocal ability, I don’t really see her being a good addition. Oh well, since season 8, I’ve only been a casual viewer, DVR, fast forward thru 2 hours in 20 minutes. Season 9 was disaster, 10 and 11 were nothing but irritating between the endless background stories, blah, blah, blah, and JLo, Steven, and Randy not having anything worthwhile to say then sending these kids off into the world to face the failure that could have maybe been prevented with a little constructive advice.

I don’t think the show should be about the judges, but you need people who KNOW what they are talking about, know how to say it in an entertaining way (for the audience,) and in a helpful way for the contestants. Sticking to my original trio of Adam Lambert, Fergie, Harry Connick, Jr.

18. Shaun says:

I’m not a fan of her,but she does have some credibility.

19. greysfan says:

Well i would prefer Fergie over Mariah but i will say this. Idol needs a Simon Cowell type judge. They can’t keep giving us people who won’t say what they think. If they cast the same 3 type of judges they have had the past few seasons then they are stupid. They need someone to shake the contestants and be a meanie. If not then Idol will die a slow and painful death.

• Templar says:

I couldn’t disagree with you more strongly. Simon is a prat and a bully. We don’t need another the likes of him. We need someone with the courage to be honest, but not cruel. Cher would shoot straight, without shredding the contestant. What they need is to put a stop to unlimited voting. The judges are window dressing, the votes and contestants are what really matters.

• greysfan says:

What so you want judges that all the time tell them they are wonderful and great. Yeah right. We need at least one judge who will tell it like it is. This is what made the current batch of judges wusses. They were weak at the knees and wouldn’t tell it like it is.

• Templar says:

That isn’t what I said. A judge can be honest and forthcoming without being an a$$hole. I’ll never forget the way Simon brutalized Siobhan or how he told Jennifer Hudson she was too fat to be a star. And his bored attitude and cliche’ remarks about self indulgence and “cabaret” performances were very off putting.

20. tewence says:

i think mariah would be a great addition. finally somebody who is excellent at what they would be judging. forget fergie…she’s fine recorded, but she sings a lot of dumb music and sucks like.

21. zaza says:

I really don’t see why they have to have a big name as a judge. No one really knew who Randy or Simon were to begin with (or even Kara) , but the show made them household names. If they just got someone who has something clever and relevant and witty to say, that person would draw in the viewers and become famous. They don’t really need a diva, they all ready have Randy!

22. april-ann says:

I’m not a fan of hers at all. Her voice gives me a headache. I could be wrong, but I think this could be the beginning of the end for Idol. Are people even interested in Mariah Carey anymore?

23. kingjosephpaul says:

Idol needs Mariah. It would be a very lucrative releationship for allll involved.

24. I think it’s too early to tell if she’s JLo 2.0 but dang 17 Mil? I still don’t think she worth with that money. I don’t if I can take seeing Mariah’s bulging cleavage 2 a week, as if seeing X-tina’s well-endowed wasn’t enough

25. A says:

I’d prefer that Mariah Carey make some new music.

26. Gigi says:

I want STEVEN TYLER back!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO MARIAH!!!

27. hr says:

Give judges lower base salary with incentives if ratings goals reached..Too bad, wouldve loved Cher & Ricky Martin..Both have long singing acting carrers. Ricky prob would be nice guy; Cher would be honest & bit cray cray..read her twitter

28. Vetle says:

I actually want them to bring back Kara… I liked her a lot in parts of season 8 and post-hollywood season 9. I also would love to see Adam on the panel.

29. David says:

This is the same kind of “Talks” that happened 2 years ago before JLO joined idol and with X-Factor but both turned out to be rumors. I will believe it when the dotted line is signed and Mariah says it herself. Besides not only is she above idol but she has a new album coming out and she travels the world promoting it and wouldn’t have time to do that show

30. TT says:

The most successful female artist of all-time may be joining American Idol? That screams CREDIBILITY to me :) Hope it happens!

31. Benjy says:

Well, if they want snarky & witty & telling it like it is, plus with an Idol connection, perfect pitch & a teacher to boot…. they need Clay Aiken on that panel.

32. chris says:

The ratings will keep falling. Hire cheaper judges.

33. Vanny says:

Mariah is so full of herself, and she will turn every comment into something about herself. Yuck! Good Bye AI if this is the direction you are going.

34. Sha says:

I’m thrilled. Mariah is everything jlo is not, poised, talented, classy, and did I mention TALENTED. She is the only artist in history to have a #1 single every year of the 90s (so most of the contestants grew up hearing her songs) and a handful of #1s in the 2000s. Judging by how she was as a mentor in season 7 (one of the best live rounds that season), I think she will be awesome!

35. kristend says:

What an absurd amount of money paid for something so trivial..