Report: Mariah Carey Finalizing Deal to Join American Idol as Judge

Pop diva Mariah Carey is reportedly thisclose to becoming the newest American Idol judge.

Our sister site, Deadline.com, dishes that Carey’s salary would top $17 million for next season – more than departing judge Jennifer Lopez.

Lopez and colleague Steven Tyler both announced their exits from the Fox singing competition last week, and Randy Jackson is rumored to be leaving the judge’s table for a mentor position at the show.

RELATED | American Idol: 14 Dream Candidates to Replace Steven, Randy and J.Lo as Judges

There’s also buzz about former contestant/pop singer Adam Lambert and The Black Eyed Peas singer Fergie joining Idol for Season 12.

What do you think about Carey joining the show? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (56)

• So much for cutting the budget…

Comment by George – July 20, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If others Are DEMI’D they will

Comment by hr – July 21, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll bet that it’s chafing Jennifer’s egotistic butt that Mariah will make more money than she did.

Comment by TheBeach – July 21, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least she’s got some talent. The one she’s replaced had none. How this translates to being a judge remains to be seen. In sports, most of the great players were lousy coaches. Still, Mariah can’t be any worse than Jennifer.

Comment by Danny – July 20, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!

Comment by Ayana – July 20, 2012 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariah at least is known for not being shy about her opinions. Unlike JLO or Steven, she will say when someone sucked.

Comment by Jason – July 20, 2012 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this!

Comment by Lucy – July 21, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well I just so happen to think she herself sucks, so not too excited about this.

Comment by lana – July 21, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love Fergie on it. That’d be pretty awesome. I don’t see why Mariah is a big draw though? She hasn’t seemed relevant to me in years.

Comment by Mark – July 20, 2012 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When you think about it, the same could’ve been said about Paula and JLo before they became judges.

Comment by phredd! – July 20, 2012 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Paula, yes. I’d disagree though with saying that about JLo. She always seemed like a relevant big star to me.

Comment by Mark – July 20, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s your delusion.

Comment by Delon – July 21, 2012 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess you never heard of a song called “we belong Together” or The The Emancipation of Mimi of mimi which sold 15 million albums world wide.

Comment by Guest – July 21, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was in 2005. Pretty sure that counts as “YEARS.”

Comment by Um... – July 23, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, Idol will be all about the celebrity judge(s). Sad.

Comment by junebug1 – July 20, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like she’s too good for this show. It’s past its prime. However, I’d feel compelled to watch at least some of the new season if she were a judge. Without her, I’d have no desire to watch at all.

Comment by Carrie – July 20, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe her contract will force contestants to stop covering her songs.

Comment by Amanda – July 20, 2012 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m afraid having Mariah as a judge would just encourage the contestants to use even more over-singing and vocal gymnastics than they already do.

Comment by TheBeach – July 21, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well … I have officially watched my LAST AI !!

Comment by San34601 – July 20, 2012 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure I’ll go that far, but i’d definitely mute her opinions. But, if they don’t limit the voting, I’m done with the show anyway, no matter who judges.

Comment by Templar – July 21, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Michael Buble as well.

Comment by chris – July 20, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because he’s Canadian?

Comment by Shaun – July 21, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Simon Cowell is British…

Comment by ed – July 21, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo. Can’t say I care for Mariah.Would love to see Fervor though.

Comment by Ally – July 20, 2012 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, she married Nick Canon. Like anybody will take her opinion seriously.

Comment by Nicholas – July 20, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God! Has Mariah become so Desparate that she has to do this show? I don’t know if I can watch it now.

Comment by Billy – July 21, 2012 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t care for Mariah, but credit where it’s due – the lady can sing, and will therefore have 100% more cred than Paula or J Lo ever did/will in knowing what she’s talking about when judging singing ability.

Comment by Mia – July 21, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yuk…never liked her piercing voice. She should be paying AI for promoting her.

Comment by Annalu – July 21, 2012 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think American Idol is too beneath Mariah. In my opinion I don’t even think they can afford her. This just isn’t a good fit to me, Mariah please try other revenues doll.

Comment by Kail – July 21, 2012 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s one of the ultimate technical singers in term of range and dynamics. I’ve heard speak that she knows her singing terminology, so hopefully this translates into valid critiques. Hopefully she’s also a good speaker so she voice her opinions properly.

Comment by Malcolm – July 21, 2012 07:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really was hoping they’d get judges I want to see/hear this time. I was excited about Steven and he bombed, but as much as I admire Mariah’s vocal ability, I don’t really see her being a good addition. Oh well, since season 8, I’ve only been a casual viewer, DVR, fast forward thru 2 hours in 20 minutes. Season 9 was disaster, 10 and 11 were nothing but irritating between the endless background stories, blah, blah, blah, and JLo, Steven, and Randy not having anything worthwhile to say then sending these kids off into the world to face the failure that could have maybe been prevented with a little constructive advice.

I don’t think the show should be about the judges, but you need people who KNOW what they are talking about, know how to say it in an entertaining way (for the audience,) and in a helpful way for the contestants. Sticking to my original trio of Adam Lambert, Fergie, Harry Connick, Jr.

Comment by Pattygale – July 21, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of her,but she does have some credibility.

Comment by Shaun – July 21, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well i would prefer Fergie over Mariah but i will say this. Idol needs a Simon Cowell type judge. They can’t keep giving us people who won’t say what they think. If they cast the same 3 type of judges they have had the past few seasons then they are stupid. They need someone to shake the contestants and be a meanie. If not then Idol will die a slow and painful death.

Comment by greysfan – July 21, 2012 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t disagree with you more strongly. Simon is a prat and a bully. We don’t need another the likes of him. We need someone with the courage to be honest, but not cruel. Cher would shoot straight, without shredding the contestant. What they need is to put a stop to unlimited voting. The judges are window dressing, the votes and contestants are what really matters.

Comment by Templar – July 21, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What so you want judges that all the time tell them they are wonderful and great. Yeah right. We need at least one judge who will tell it like it is. This is what made the current batch of judges wusses. They were weak at the knees and wouldn’t tell it like it is.

Comment by greysfan – July 21, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That isn’t what I said. A judge can be honest and forthcoming without being an a$$hole. I’ll never forget the way Simon brutalized Siobhan or how he told Jennifer Hudson she was too fat to be a star. And his bored attitude and cliche’ remarks about self indulgence and “cabaret” performances were very off putting.

Comment by Templar – July 22, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think mariah would be a great addition. finally somebody who is excellent at what they would be judging. forget fergie…she’s fine recorded, but she sings a lot of dumb music and sucks like.

Comment by tewence – July 21, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really don’t see why they have to have a big name as a judge. No one really knew who Randy or Simon were to begin with (or even Kara) , but the show made them household names. If they just got someone who has something clever and relevant and witty to say, that person would draw in the viewers and become famous. They don’t really need a diva, they all ready have Randy!

Comment by zaza – July 21, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely agree

Comment by Joe Strummer – July 22, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a fan of hers at all. Her voice gives me a headache. I could be wrong, but I think this could be the beginning of the end for Idol. Are people even interested in Mariah Carey anymore?

Comment by april-ann – July 21, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idol needs Mariah. It would be a very lucrative releationship for allll involved.

Comment by kingjosephpaul – July 21, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s too early to tell if she’s JLo 2.0 but dang 17 Mil? I still don’t think she worth with that money. I don’t if I can take seeing Mariah’s bulging cleavage 2 a week, as if seeing X-tina’s well-endowed wasn’t enough

Comment by iFancyJay (@clubtekila) – July 21, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d prefer that Mariah Carey make some new music.

Comment by A – July 21, 2012 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want STEVEN TYLER back!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO MARIAH!!!

Comment by Gigi – July 21, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Give judges lower base salary with incentives if ratings goals reached..Too bad, wouldve loved Cher & Ricky Martin..Both have long singing acting carrers. Ricky prob would be nice guy; Cher would be honest & bit cray cray..read her twitter

Comment by hr – July 21, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually want them to bring back Kara… I liked her a lot in parts of season 8 and post-hollywood season 9. I also would love to see Adam on the panel.

Comment by Vetle – July 21, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the same kind of “Talks” that happened 2 years ago before JLO joined idol and with X-Factor but both turned out to be rumors. I will believe it when the dotted line is signed and Mariah says it herself. Besides not only is she above idol but she has a new album coming out and she travels the world promoting it and wouldn’t have time to do that show

Comment by David – July 21, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The most successful female artist of all-time may be joining American Idol? That screams CREDIBILITY to me :) Hope it happens!

Comment by TT – July 22, 2012 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ummmm …. Except that she ISN’T

Comment by San34601 – July 22, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if they want snarky & witty & telling it like it is, plus with an Idol connection, perfect pitch & a teacher to boot…. they need Clay Aiken on that panel.

Comment by Benjy – July 22, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ratings will keep falling. Hire cheaper judges.

Comment by chris – July 22, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mariah is so full of herself, and she will turn every comment into something about herself. Yuck! Good Bye AI if this is the direction you are going.

Comment by Vanny – July 23, 2012 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled. Mariah is everything jlo is not, poised, talented, classy, and did I mention TALENTED. She is the only artist in history to have a #1 single every year of the 90s (so most of the contestants grew up hearing her songs) and a handful of #1s in the 2000s. Judging by how she was as a mentor in season 7 (one of the best live rounds that season), I think she will be awesome!

Comment by Sha – July 23, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What an absurd amount of money paid for something so trivial..

Comment by kristend – July 23, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post