Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2012: My Snappy Judgments

Emmy Nominations 2012The 2012 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Max Greenfield!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (Kathy Bates over Katey Sagal?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations — the Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Nods for Downton Abbey‘s Michelle Dockery and Joanne Froggart
* Don Cheadle sneaking in for House of Lies.
* All of the Homeland love.
* The best comedy nominations for Girls and leading lady Lena Dunham.
* New Girl scene-stealer Max Greenfield makes the supporting actor in a comedy cut.
* Finally, Breaking Bad‘s lone female, Anna Gunn, gets some love.
* Mayim Bialik becoming the first Big Bang Theory female to score a nod.
* All the nods for Sherlock, including best movie/miniseries and stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
* Jason Ritter making the guest actor in a drama series cut for Parenthood.
* The long-overlooked Merritt Wever from Nurse Jackie being recognized.

PHOTOS | Emmy Shock — The 37 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Kathy Bates getting recognized for the now-cancelled Harry’s Law over Sons of Anarchy‘s Katey Sagal.
* Jon Cryer getting nominated for Two and a Half Men over Community‘s Joel McHale.

RELATED | Emmy Nominees React — Who Said What?

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the first time. And where the hell is Carrie Preston in the guest category?!
* Emmy flunking Community (save for one writing nod).
* No love for Cougar Town. Ditto Happy Endings.
* Parks and Recreation
failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Fringe‘s John Noble.
Southland getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting screwed.
 Again. Ditto her criminally underrated co-stars Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff.
* No major nods for The Walking Dead. Ditto Justified.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Forgot to mention Downton Abbey, I do love this show & am happy to see them receive the noms this year.

2. Naya says:

what about Ellen Pompeo? 8 years of excellent work and again not even a nod…

3. Linderella says:

First of all I didn’t quite understand why some categories had 7 nominees and others had only 4. If one category can have 7 why can’t all of them? That might have reduced some of the snubs. Missing from consideration were Jason Isaacs, Joel Kinnaman, Sandra Oh, and the entire regular cast of Parenthood. I don’t dispute the talent of most of the nominees but in several cases it was “some ‘ole same ‘ole” (like Mariska Hagarty? Betty White? Michael J. Fox?) Really?

4. Person of Interest totally deserved recognition in a major category this year, as did Carrie Preston for her role on the Good Wife. I’ll pay attention to the Emmys only for the Good Wife nominations, but other than that, there’s nothing of interest to me in the acting spots. *sigh*

5. Sam says:

How does Steve Buscemi keep getting nominated for Boardwalk Empire and Michael Pitt does not?! Pitt OWNED that show this season, he was and is season 2! Buscemi was practically a supporting role…

6. Amy says:

HOW can Parks & Rec not get nominated????!!!! It is a serious crime against TV. Sorry Emmys, but blech.

7. Mary Cefalu says:

I’m really pleased that Kathy Bates got nominated and hope that embarrasses NBC for cancelling a GREAT program.

8. Gayle Keller says:

Why did the show Whitney get completely overlooked. Not even a mention. It at least makes me laugh. Not one nomination. I will have double check on that. I agree Cougar town should of gotten some love too! There are so many crappy shows on the air let’s give the good ones some something something!

9. John Puper says:

Neal McDonough in Justified this season!

10. Fahrenheit451 says:

They owed Hugh Laurie the honor of one final nomination for his iconic role of House. Once again, they had a chance to do the right thing and they blew it.

11. darcywilson says:

I am so glad Jean Smart got a nom for Harry’s Law. She made every episode she was in. Definitely deserves to win.

12. Cece Luecking says:

I am really upset that Dan Stevens did not get nominated for Matthew Crowley- he is much better than Hugh and he helped Michelle get her nomination.

13. Maria says:

I can’t believe Fiona Shaw wasn’t nominated for playing Marnie/Antonia on “True Blood” – she basically played two characters and she was both infuriating and amazing! The list of Guest Actress in a Dramatic Series nominees makes it look like the Emmy panel just wanted “name” actors. Booooooooring.

14. Carolyn says:

Once again…the academy just nominated the same ol’ same ol’…..They need to look around. ….Suits on USA is one of the best sophisicated written shows out there…And Whale Wars is the best reality show ever!

15. Em J says:

I love that you are ecstatic about Sherlock getting nominations as was I! They bloody well deserve it! Can’t series 3 come any faster!? well I have to admit they do have to film it first! CURSE BENEDICT AND MARTIN’S BRILLIANT FILM CAREER! XD

16. Zee King says:

The Walking dead snub is a tragedy!

17. Am I missing something here??? Why is WHITE COLLAR or its amazing ACTORS/ACTRESSES not nominated?—-Matt Bomer, Tim DeKay, & Willie Garson ALL deserve to be nominated.

The only show I’m rooting for is GLEE—Even though, once again, MATT BOMER could have been nominated for.

Let Emmy bring her nominating magic to WHITE COLLAR next year, please!

18. crystal says:

Totally agree…I wasn’t interested in soa originally but katey sagal changed all that. Something about seeing “peggy bundy” as a bad a** bikers ole lady makes u wanna watch. Watched every season and love it. Everyone should be nominated for that show. Yet anymore seems like most of the shows nominated r on regular tv…need to give props to the shows that deserve it