Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2012: My Snappy Judgments

Emmy Nominations 2012The 2012 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Max Greenfield!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (Kathy Bates over Katey Sagal?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations — the Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Nods for Downton Abbey‘s Michelle Dockery and Joanne Froggart
* Don Cheadle sneaking in for House of Lies.
* All of the Homeland love.
* The best comedy nominations for Girls and leading lady Lena Dunham.
* New Girl scene-stealer Max Greenfield makes the supporting actor in a comedy cut.
* Finally, Breaking Bad‘s lone female, Anna Gunn, gets some love.
* Mayim Bialik becoming the first Big Bang Theory female to score a nod.
* All the nods for Sherlock, including best movie/miniseries and stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
* Jason Ritter making the guest actor in a drama series cut for Parenthood.
* The long-overlooked Merritt Wever from Nurse Jackie being recognized.

PHOTOS | Emmy Shock — The 37 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Kathy Bates getting recognized for the now-cancelled Harry’s Law over Sons of Anarchy‘s Katey Sagal.
* Jon Cryer getting nominated for Two and a Half Men over Community‘s Joel McHale.

RELATED | Emmy Nominees React — Who Said What?

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the first time. And where the hell is Carrie Preston in the guest category?!
* Emmy flunking Community (save for one writing nod).
* No love for Cougar Town. Ditto Happy Endings.
* Parks and Recreation
failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Fringe‘s John Noble.
Southland getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting screwed.
 Again. Ditto her criminally underrated co-stars Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff.
* No major nods for The Walking Dead. Ditto Justified.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Robin says:

JON CRYER!!!!! CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM!!! SERIOUSLY! These two were the most ridiculous nominations by far!

2. AJ says:

Girls and Veep over Parks, Happy Endings, or Community is just tragic. Same goes for nominating Lena Dunham. What were these people thinking?

3. Brian says:

Mireille Enos, Joel Kinnaman, Emmy Rossum, and the show “Shameless” got robbed.

4. MS says:

Joanne Froggart over Sandra Oh, i’ve lost all faith in emmys

5. RachelA says:

Although I don’t really think Glee deserved much recognition for its 3rd season, I think Max Adler was robbed of at least a nomination for Best Guest Actor.

Also, NO NOMINATIONS AT ALL FOR HAPPY ENDINGS? That is just perverse. And stupid.

6. kd says:

Seriously what does Katy Segal have to do to get a nomination? Pissed about the Community snubs and Parks & Rec. The emmys are just ridiculous.

7. Aerynismybff says:

So Katey Sagal snubbed again by those b*tches? I hate emmy voters I wish someone will hit all of them with a skateboard in the face. Boo, you wh*res.

8. RS says:

Left of Lana Parrilla and Robert Carlyle

9. Shaden says:

Add the lack of Shameless, Emmy Rossum and Happy Endings and you have my list.

10. Karen says:

I just saw Community did get a nom i Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for the Remedial Chaos Theory episode! (tiny little yay!)

11. Grey says:

Was Jessica Lange just snubbed? Or is there a Supporting Actress in a Miniseries category (I think there is…..Didnt MLP win that a few years ago for Angels in America?)

12. mandy says:

Sometimes I think the Emmy’s are a Joke. They are so picky about who gets a nom. SOA is one of the best shows on TV and gets screwed every year. Plus it kinda sucks that New Girl couldnt get a nom for best show when 2 of the actors are nominated for awards. Kathy Bates should not be nominated…

• AJ says:

Good lord, New Girl isn’t even the 5th best comedy on TV, let alone the best. Can you say Over-hyped? Same with Girls. BLAH.

• thomas says:

SOA? Yes, Kathy Bates should be nominated, she’s amazing in harry’s law and she was nominated last year.

13. Ahmed says:

Sandra Oh got snubbed…again! She should’ve at least been nominated. Her performance this year as Cristina Yang was amazing this year. Ridiculous!

14. K. says:

Michael Pitt gave an outstanding performance in the 2nd season of Boardwalk Empire. It´s pathetic he didn´t get nominated.

15. Carmen says:

Both Glenn Close and Kathy Bates are amazing actresses, but as far as their recent TV performances go? I don’t see anything special, especially compared to how Katey Sagal plays badass Gemma Teller-Morrow. Ugh, I try not to get pissed and prepare myself for her snub, but this is just ridiculous! Katey says more with one stare as Gemma than most actors. That lady is intense and brilliant. She also seems to be one of the most humble and gracious “celebrity.” So sad right now beacuse I really think this year was her last shot at a potential nod. :(

16. sam says:

Kathy Bates deserves to be nominated for harry’s law and I would not be surprised if she won — she has more of an emmy episode that the other actresses and would be great to hear what she has to say to NBC and the ageism in hollywood since Harry’s Law was NBC’s highest rated show in viewers but not in the demos. why blame HER for Katey not getting a nod — there were 5 other nominees!

• Carmen says:

I don’t think ANYBODY is blaming Kathy, though. We just think Katey gave a stronger performance so we’re blaming the voters for going down the safe route and overlooking Katey Sagal yet again. Personally, I think Katey should’ve have taken Glenn, Kathy, or Julianna’s slot. Emmy Rossum should’ve have replaced Kathy as well. Just saying.

• Katherine215 says:

I agree ageism exists in Hollywood, but the renewals are largely based on money. And advertisers pay more for the demo than total viewers, in most cases.

17. sam says:

So disappointed that the good wife did not get nominated for best series — more annoyed that Josh Charles did not get a nod either. No writing or directing for american horror story and no actor nod for Dylan McDermott??
    Can they please separate the cable nominees from the broadcast nominees already!

18. Lianne says:

Appalled by this years nominations, the Emmy’s have become predictable and ridiculous. It’s a shame that actresses like Stana Katic get snubbed, did they not see her performance in Kill Shot?

19. DAVID says:

NO MADELINE STOWE IN ‘REVENGE’????!?! C’MON!!!

20. Harry says:

Katey Sagal sucks anyway.

21. KSM says:

Totally agree with most of your thoughts. Though I would add that it is REALLY not necessary to nominate all of the adults from Modern Family again. For the most part, they are just coasting at this point. Love the Max Greenfield and Girls love though!

22. Kelly says:

So happy that Ashley Judd got nominated for Missing!!!!! Anna Gunn is not the LONE female on Breaking Bad (Betsy Brandt) but it’s about time that Anna did get nominated and I think she has a good chance of winning! so happy about Glee’s Dot Marie Jones getting a nomination.
    Really wish Revenge was nominated

• DAVID says:

Kelly,

I think they think of Revenge as more trashy fun and not nomination worthy of Emmy :( Sorta like Melrose place was.

Boy are they wrong!

• Spencer says:

Ugh! Yes! Madeline Stowe and Emily Van Der Camp deserve noms! They were both phenomenal!!! Revenge and OUAT are by far my favorite dramas out there.

23. Mil says:

I’m glad Glee did not get a nom for best comedy! Where is New Girl?! It is way more funny than Girls!! Imo modern family is getting overrated..

24. Jonathan Cohen says:

Look if they don’t want to nominated Parks & Rec for either best comedy or Ron Swanson, that’s their prerogative, but what’s the point of having Nick Offerman announce the nominations? It just draws even more attention to the snub.

25. Heidi C. says:

Nothing for Hugh Laurie’s last season on ‘House’? The show as a whole may have been ‘meh’, but I always thought HE was fantastic.

26. Liam says:

This is really s!tty. The Good Wife should be in the best drama race. SOA and it’s actors/actresses should get some love. They had a really strong year. And what about Fringe and The Walking Dead with it’s multilayered characters and compelling stories??
    The academy seems to be on auto-pilot. Nominating the same shows year after year. They just nominate cable-shows that have some star power and creative freedom to create some controversy without really looking at the quality. The truth is that cable shows have more freedom to do and show what they want and that has forced network shows like The Good Wife and Fringe to be more creative, be original and push the boundaries of their respective box(es), and doing so delivering season in the 20-episode range instead of the typical cable shows episode nuber of 10-13.
    And btw; JUSTIFIED. WTFRACK.

• dolphinlights says:

I feel your pain on Justified. IMO, the best show currently on television. Obviously voters didn’t watch the reel!

27. kim says:

why bother having nominations when modern family and mad men are just gonna repeat and repeat until they are off the air???

28. Tiffany says:

I don’t know why I allow myself to get my hopes up, always thinking, “No really, the Emmy voters will get it at least a little right this year. They can’t fail *that* many years in a row!” Clearly they can. I love Modern Family, but EVERY cast member? Really?? When Community won Comedy Series at Critic’s Choice, I deluded myself into thinking that the Emmys would finally see the light. Can someone start airing the Critic’s Choice Awards so I can just ignore the fact that the Emmy’s even exist, please?

29. Anushe says:

ugh cant believe uma thurman got nominated!!

30. Court says:

No Community. Like wut. I literally don’t understand. And New Girl nom is missing. I’m so upset about The Good Wife.

31. sally says:

I think Homeland is not worthy of a best drama nomination and Claire danes plays THE most irritating character on TV — unlikeable — nothing against Claire, who is an amazing actress.

32. Magically Suspicious says:

Pitting Benedict Cumberbatch and Idris Elba against each other is wrong wrong wrong. I’m glad I’m not responsible for choosing.

33. chloe says:

Surprised and happy that New Girl wasn’t nominated. Pile or garbage if you ask me.

34. Spencer says:

I love Modern Family, but I was sooo rooting for Parks and Rec. to win this year…. And 30 Rock?! Really? That show is no where near as funny as P&R!!! I’m just happy Amy Poehler got nominated, though it’s unlikely she’ll win, and I’m happy Glee didn’t get nominated! Hopefully this means that travisty is on it’s way out….

35. AJ says:

So what’s the over/under on how long it will be before Kurt Sutter gets a new twitter account and loses his mind for the world to see? I give it 12 hours max.

• Jhon says:

LOL. I think he vowed to stay quiet this season. He hasn’t said a word about this year’s Emmy’s at all. But we’ll have to wait and see….

36. alim says:

This is a load of bull seriously, ok where to begin, errmmmm wtf with parks and the good wife situation.ok veep is good but they should of replaced it will p&r. Ama just jot down the peeps who should of got nommed ok. Gillian andetson, the great escape, katy segalm katy coucou, jane lunch even though I casxnt stand glee she atast deserves a nod. Nick offermon.most of all no SAnDRA OH MARTHA PLIMPTON and GaRRET DILLIHUNT. I live in england normally i wud live stream it but not this year no real sense of exitement

• C says:

At least Martha Plimpton got a nod for Guest Actress on TGW. Totally should have gone to Carrie Preston…but at least she was bumped for someone I actually like.

37. Ashly says:

The Emmy nominations are ridiculous. There were only two things that made me smile in that list. 1) Amy Poehler nominated for Best Actress (that girl deserves some Emmy love)
    2) Jason Ritter nominated for Guest Actor for Parenthood

I actually like watching the Emmy’s, but there won’t be a point this year. Why watch when you don’t give a flip who wins? I’m sure the actors in Modern Family, TBBT, and Two and a Half Men are lovely people, but their shows bore me to tears. I can not comprehend why they keep getting nominated. I know Community never had a shot in hell, but Parks and Rec? Come on. That supporting cast is brilliant, way funnier than those guys from Modern Family who gobbled up the spots that rightfully belong to Nick Offerman, Chris Pratt, Adam Scott, and Aubrey Plaza.

Sorry to whine and ramble, but I just can’t take it anymore.

38. Allison says:

some of the shutouts were expected because the Emmys traditionally don’t honor certain types of shows, but the fact that The Good Wife wasn’t nominated is inexplicable. It’s one of the best hours of television every week.

• Deion says:

This. Absolutely. A nom for Christine Baranski is great, but this season kept up the fine work that The Good Wife has done every season. I’m going to, however, abandon Julianna Margulies this go round. Michelle Dockery was superb in this last season of Downton Abbey. If she comes away with the award I won’t be mad at al.

39. AJ says:

Also excited to see Futurama and Bob’s Burger’s get nominations for best animated program. Man I hope Futurama wins.

40. Eric says:

Seriously??? Still no love for “The Middle” a comedic gem! Along with “Happy Endings”! IMO, Ty Burrell should be the only male actor from “Modern Family” that should be recognized. Kyra Sedgewick is amazing every season in “The Closer” and it’s a shame she hasn’t been nominated since she won. Sandra Oh, should have won the Emmy years ago for her incredible work!!! But I’m not surprised, the Emmy’s hardly ever get it right. If the Emmy’s would like to try and make up for some of its mistakes, they need to finally recognize the Mad Men actors/actresses and give them some actual awards, not just nominations!!!!

41. Jhon says:

I really thought this would be Sagal’s year. :(

42. C says:

Seriously?!?! No Good Wife for Best Drama?!?! They put out 22 solid episodes a year (with a few spectacular episodes thrown in) and their cable counterparts put in half of that. Don’t get me wrong, the cable shows are great – but if they had to sustain themselves in duration and budget AND had to pull in a big ticket audience just to survive, would they even compare to TGW? My guess is no. TGW should get a well deserved nom for effort and sustainability alone.

Ho. Hum.

• james says:

The good wife should be nominated because it is one of the best drama series PERIOD. Josh Charles was robbed — especially after “another ham sandwich”.

43. jspattzfan says:

I know it was a long shot, but Silas Weir Mitchell in the supporting actor, drama for Grimm was one I was hoping for. His Monroe makes that show!

44. jake says:

I DON’T GET WHY ACADEMY MEMBERS WHO I ASSUME HAVE MORE MEMBERS IN NETWORK TV OVER CABLE DON’T SUPPORT THEIR OWN???

• AJ says:

Because it’s about nominating the best and not playing favorites? I said that with a straight face lol. We all know it’s about playing favorites. And the networks got plenty of love.

45. It is a shame that Noble, Segal, Stiff and others got overlooked again. Really curious on how they select the nominees

• AJ says:

As far as I know the shows all submit certain episodes to each category they wish to contend in, the voters watch them all and vote, and the top however many vote getters get the nominations. Then I think they vote all over again with the nominees and you have your winner.

46. Luz says:

I wish Community have more nominations, I mean was a great episode, but I think at least Joel McHale and Danny Puddi deserve a nomination!

47. Lindsey says:

The Emmys are becoming a bunch of bullsh*t. It’s becoming so “elitist” with a lot of cable shows only in some categories. Ridiculous. If they were smart, they’d spread the love a little bit to the broadcast networks too. At least be fair. My gosh. I don’t even really care to WATCH the Emmys anymore. Load of crap.

I will say though, I’m with you on most of your judgements! Awesome for Sherlock, New Girl, and Big Bang. I roll my eyes about the same things… And I’m also pissed about Noble, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

48. Brandi S says:

I’m such a HUGE fan of Sons of Anarchy and can’t believe they continue to be ignored. Katey Sagal, being a battered wife this season was some of the best acting I have ever seen.

49. Stew says:

Ah, gotta disagree MA, The Good Wife had a weak season this year. While I agree that Preston was fabulous and deserved recognition, the show itself was rightfully ignored. However that wasn’t it for me. Larry David but no Johnny Galecki, Matt LeBlanc, or Adam Scott? Really? I love me some Downtown Abbey but Jim Carter and not John Noble? A somewhat uninteresting season for Archie Panjabi still no Lena Headley? A weak season for Dexter and Michael C. Hall couldn’t get Timothy Olyphant a look? Kathryn Joosten’s memorial nomination but no Kristen Bell? Sarah Paulson was fine but instead of Gillian Anderson’s truly game changing Miss Haversham? (Please note my substitutions might change if I actually liked and watched Mad Men or American Horror Story, I’m giving those nods the benefit of the doubt.)

Obviously my movement varies from most here, but can we all agree that this year the obligatory Betty White nomination was as reality host? (I love Betty, but…)

50. jay says:

ok parks and rec not getting nominated is just crazy, and im also super mad about bill hader over nick offerman and michael c. hall (REALLY??) over timothy olyphant and justified being shut out apart from jeremy davies. i am very happy about zooey deschanel and max greenfield, as well as mayim bialik