Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2012: American Horror Story, Mad Men and Modern Family Lead the Pack

Emmy Nominations 2012Nominations for the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced early Thursday morning by Scandal star Kerry Washington and this year’s Emmys host, Jimmy Kimmel — in his pajamas — and FX’s American Horror Story and AMC’s Mad Men led the pack with 17 total nods each.

PBS’ Downton Abbey and History’s Hatfields & McCoys followed with 16 apiece, while Modern Family was the most-nommed scripted comedy series, with 14.

Showtime’s Homeland amassed the most nominations (nine) for a freshman series, while Jon Hamm, Melissa McCarthy, Lena Dunham (as a star, director and writer of Girls) and Amy Poehler (as Parks and Rec actress and for penning an episode) are among those who netted multiple nods.

Here is the list of the nominees who were revealed on TV, to be updated imminently with the full roster of contenders in major races. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with unchecked euphoria… or utter outrage. (It’s the Internet, so we’re conservatively predicting at least 60 percent “outrage.”)

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2012: Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements

Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Louis C.K., Louie
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men (*his first time in Lead race in years)
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock
Margaret Cho, 30 Rock
Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men

EMMYS VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Sizes Up the Possible Drama Series and Actors Races

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST

Idris Elba, Luther
Woody Harrelson, Game Change
Clive Owen, Hemingway and Gellhorn
Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys

LEAD ACTRESS IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Connie Britton, American Horror Story
Ashley Judd, Missing (*which was eligible as a miniseries)
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway and Gellhorn
Julianne Moore, Game Change
Emma Thompson, The Song of Lunch

The complete list of Emmy nominations can be found at Emmys.com.

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 23, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. ABC is broadcasting this year’s show, with Jimmy Kimmel serving as host.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. Stina says:

Don’t get the community hype….
    I love Dexter but the last season was weak.. Need to give actors from Justified,SOA and
    The Walking Dead a shot.
    But how can u compete with Breaking Bad? You shouldn’t even mention Revenge or OUAT in the same sentence.

2. Daniel says:

I’d be happy if Veep won for best comedy and Julia Louis-Dreyfus won for best actress in a comedy series. I just finished watching the first season and loved it!

3. John Clayton says:

I’m done with Emmys. These are the worst batch of nominees I think I’ve ever seen. So many “should have beens” it’s not even funny. I’m tired of seeing the same exact nominees every year while people are turning in brilliant work and breakthrough performances on other shows, and aren’t being recognized because the Emmy’s need to nominate MIchael C Hall for the 47th time and Alec Baldwin for the 817th time. Meanwhile great programming like Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead, Revenge, Community, Happy Endings, Parks and Recreation, Suits, and Southland are being looked over. If we all ignore the Emmy’s, maybe they’ll just go away.

4. Maru says:

I was With the hope the at least Matt Bomer get a nomination as guest actor for Glee !!!! That episode is hilarious!!!

5. Greg says:

It took alot of digging but “Let Me Be Your Star”, from Smash was nominated for best original song in a series!!!!

6. Daniel says:

Notice that there are absolutly no representatives from the broadcast networks in Outstand Drama, Outstanding Actor Drama or Supporting Actor Drama. Dear networks…please take note of how the cable shows are kicking your a**.

• AJ says:

Oh but if you ask the people here the solution is just to break cable and network dramas into different categories and hand out 500 emmys. The real solution is don’t watch the crap they show on the networks and force them to produce better shows.

7. Sabrina says:

I’m so glad to see all the nominations for Homeland. I hope both lead actors win.

8. Luke says:

I think Giancarlo Esposito DESERVES an Emmy

9. lariet50 says:

How on earth did “New Girl” NOT get nominated in the best comedy series category? Absurd. And I’m happy to see Max Greenfield get nominated, but four actors from “Modern Family” in the same category? At what point is the Academy going to stop kissing up to “Modern Family”?

10. justjack says:

Cat Deeley better win this year.

11. Tally says:

Woo Hoo!!! Go Cable!

12. Nabil Mazidi says:

I CANNOT believe that Parks and Rec, New Girl, and Community WEREN’T nominated and 30 Rock, Girls, and Curb Your Enthusiasm were
    Parks and Rec, New Girl, Community, and The Big Bang Theory are the best comedies on TV and at least TBBT Got nominated but man, Parks and Rec and New Girl really deserved to be nominated after having such stellar seasons.

I am REALLY mad that Nick Offerman did not get nominated for Parks and Rec.
    He deserved it more than any other Supporting Actor in a Comedy!
    And i cannot believe that Patricia Clarkson didn’t get nominated for her portrayal of Tammy 1 on Parks and Rec. performance was epic!
    I am so happy that Mayim Bialik got nominated for TBBT but i wish Kaley Cuoco had too.

13. I know a lot of people will attack me for saying this but I strongly Believe Troian Bellisario deserve a Nomination for her role as Spencer Hasting on Pretty Little Liars, she is the only girl on the show who can act so strong, she has to be one of the best actresses playing a teenager. She can do Drama very well.

14. CherylS says:

House was robbed, for best actor Hugh Laurie and supporting actor Sean Leonard along with best Drama. I also think that Kelly Couco and Melissa Rauch needed to be nominated as well for best actress and supporting actress in a comedy. The only love for Grey’s was for Loretta Divine, who deserves it but some of the other actors and actresses like Sandra Oh and James Pickens Jr. should have been nominated.

15. WhyohWhy says:

Not surprised that some of my favorite shows are missing. It’s been this way since BtVS. The Emmys are far too conservative for me. I’m not even sure they watch network tv. (Yes, I know a few shows up there are network, but mostly 30 Rock and Modern Family, which get nominated every year.) I think a lot of the voters just vote whomever is getting the most buzz. Community is my new BtVS. I can keep hoping the Emmys will wake up and smell the human beings, but it’s very unlikely to happen.

16. Megan says:

I can’t believe how many nominations Modern Family received. I thought this past season was really boring and not all that funny. It’s really upsetting that so many other better shows were snubbed.

17. Alex says:

And Community gets snubbed again. Half the shows on there shouldn’t be nominated. Once again, there’s no reason to watch the Emmy’s this year. Just like last year. *sigh*

18. JOHN CRYER AGAIN???????? What is the academy smoking?

19. John says:

Wow over the entire list they hit THREE shows (Justified, Smash, BBT) I watch! And I watch a lot of television (thank you TiVo!).

20. Talia says:

Pretty much the same boring group of nominations year after year with a few new names thrown in. Dissapointed to not see great actors from Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Community, Once Upon A Time, Southland, The Borgias, Cougar Town, and Happy Endings get nominated.

Really makes you question the voting process. There are just too many talented individuals that were ignored.

21. lilys87 says:

I’m disappointed for Timothy Olyphant but the lead actor race is tough for drama. Other than that, the constant indifference for Community, John Noble and so on is really getting old and ridiculous.
    Homeland deserves its nominations without a doubt and I’m happy New Girl gets recognized as well.

22. Tammy says:

how about no Letterman, Leno or Conan in the Variety category? That’s pretty cool. Only thing better would have been Craig Ferguson getting nominated!

23. TMW says:

Carrie Preston absolutely deserved a nomination for Guest Actress in a Drama for her sensational appearances on The Good Wife. Martha Plimpton didn’t.

24. Mikael says:

No love for Cougar Town or Happy Endings? Boo! Hiss!

25. AJ says:

I have to admit that I don’t get why Michael C. Hall gets nominated every year for Dexter. His character is no different than the one he played on Six Feet Under. I have never thought that Dexter was anything exceptional. Above average for sure, but why waste a nomination every year on a guy that will never win the category. At least John Hamm has a shot at winning it each time.

26. Jan says:

It’s sickening Parks and Community are not nominated but that unwatchable piece of filth Girls is.

27. Maria says:

So glad they’ve finally stopped automatically nominating Mariska Hargitay. She hasn’t done any good work on that show in years.

28. Kelly says:

I was pleased with Jim and Mayim’s nominations for Big Bang Theory. I thought Jane Epsen deserved a writing nomination for “Skin Deep” on ONce Upon a Time. I think Fringe’s John Noble and Once’s Robert Carlyle deserved supporting drama nods. I also wish Psych would get some emmy love.

29. Ally says:

Predictable. Boring.

30. May says:

And no Castle,again. That sucks. I feel like Emmy judges are being so redundant nominating the same people, over and over again, and not recognizing the great job some actors and actresses did this past season.

31. JUSTICE! says:

Girls deserves every effin nomination it has. And everyone should shut up ♥

32. I’m pissed Hugh Laurie is not in that list. And I will never understand why Archie Panjabi keeps getting nominated. I love that show, but she is just so fake in it!

33. Sarah says:

And this was the last year for Anna Torv and John Noble to get any recognition for their work in Fringe. Of course they weren’t nommed, it’s sci-fi, but I had a small hope.

34. Kyle says:

Are these the awards for the WORST show on television? Because that’s the only thing ‘Girls’ should ever be nominated for.

35. JJ says:

Wher can i see the episodes the actors/actresses were nominated for?

36. AMAHzing says:

Where’s happy endings and Casey Wilson? Obviously Emmy voters were not aware that this is the year of Penny!

37. A says:

Are you kidding me? 4 slots in one category for Modern Family? WTF. Where is the variety? Modern Family has had enough nomination these past two years. and seriously New Girl and its actors shouldn’t even be nominated.
    And honestly do these shows really need 17 and 15 and 14 nominations? There are so many other shows that even if they had received one or two nominations would have been happy. I swear the Emmy’s are rigged.

38. Angela says:

Not thrilled that most of the stuff I like isn’t in the nomination list. However, congrats to all who did get a nomination. Best of luck to the shows come Emmy time.

39. Katie says:

Very surprised not to see Timothy Olyphant and Andrew Lincoln get nods; also Jon Bernthal for best supporting.

40. Madeleine Stowe was ROBBED. But I am so pleased, and a little weepy, for the Desperate Housewives nominations for Kathryn and Brenda. So well deserved.

• Izzie Duquette says:

I agree. Madeleine Stowe so deserves an Emmy. Now Victoria Grayson will come to the Emmy nominators in their sleep. Hah!

41. Well I don’t watch or know a lot of these shows but I did notice that Leverage was no where to be found in any category. This is one of the best drama shows on TNT with Timothy Hutton, Christian Kane, Beth Riesgraf, Aldis Hodge and Gina Bellman including Dean Devlin as the Executive Producer and John Rogers as the Writer including others such as Chris Downey and Jonathan Frakes. They even have the best actors and actresses that appear on the show such as Danny Glover, Eric Stoltz, John Schneider, Jeri Ryan, Tom Skerrit, Will Wheaton and Richard Chamberlain plus many many more have been on the show plus have returned numerous times to the show. A good show is hard to come by and this show is a one of the best shows on TNT – so why no Emmy nominations!

42. sobermuse says:

I still don’t get why Joan Cusack from Shameless gets to be nominated in the “Guest Star” category … Are you really a guest when you appear in every episodes?

• JJ says:

You’re right she should be considered as supporting actress but I don’t get why Desperate Housewives is considered as a comedy show either……

43. sobermuse says:

Or House of Lies.

44. ana says:

I misss Lisa edelstein and Josh Charles

45. Izzie Duquette says:

One actress from Smash and it had to be Uma Thurman? How is this not Megan Hilty?! So sad, er I mean OUTRAGED.

46. Cinzia brazil says:

How come Mandy Patinkin from Homeland has not been nominated as best supporting actor drama…he was incredible with Claire…