SVU Recruits Paget Brewster for Season 14 Premiere -- Airing Opposite Criminal Minds

Fresh off her six-year run on CBS’ Criminal Minds, Paget Brewster is staying in law enforcement mode with a juicy role in the Season 14 premiere of NBC’s Law & Order: SVU — which, it so happens, will air opposite Criminal Minds‘ own season opener. Fancy that.

RELATED | NBC Sets Fall Premieres, Including Summer Debuts and Late Start For Community

Brewster will guest-star on SVU‘s two-hour “premiere event,” airing Wednesday, Sept. 26, from 9 to 11 pm EST, as the head of the District Attorney’s Office’s Public Integrity Unit, where she is given the task of handling the case against Captain Cragen (played Dann Florek), who, give the events of the shocking Season 13 finale, is under suspicion of murder.

RELATED | CBS’ Fall TV Plan Leads Off With Survivor 25, Ends With Relocated Mentalist

Brewster announced her decision to exit Criminal Minds and the role of Emily Prentiss back in February, and last aired in the CBS crime drama’s Season 7 finale. Criminal Minds‘ Season 8 premiere airs Wednesday, Sept. 26, at 9 pm.

1. Birdie says:

Thrilled to see Paget Brewster (@pagetpaget) back on my screen! I will definitely be tuning in as Criminal Minds has nothing left that interest me!

2. icywinter2 says:

I don’t know who she is, I never watched Criminal Minds but I am thrilled to hear something about season 14 of SVU. It’s going to be 300th episode, which is amazing along with the premire being a two hour one at a new time slot 9pm…

Can’t wait for september 26th.. I know they haven’t started filming yet not until August.

• gorge says:

icywinter2 u r like me love criminal minds but law and order svu dont bother airing any thing eles exepet law and order svu WOLO

3. Denise says:

Sorry Paget!! Will be watching Criminal Minds!!! Show is gonna be great this year!!!!!!!!!!!

4. sticious says:

Sorry Criminal Minds, I’ll be tuning in to SVU on premiere night!

5. Mikaylah says:

I love both shows! I’m happy to see Paget on another show that I like, but am sad that Emily Prentiss is gone. Hopefully there is a chance we’ll see the character again sometime in the future.

6. julia says:

Can’t wait for this! For her, but also to see where they go with the murder plot…it was a real zinger in the season finale!

7. It’s times like this I’m grateful for DVR.

• Tammy says:

Yes! Amen to that! It seems like every year the networks schedule more and more of my favorite shows against each other. So glad I don’t have to chose one over the other.

8. David F. says:

So much for leaving to do comedy.

• TV Gord says:

So far, none of the comedy pilots she has done have been picked up, but she is doing comedy in the animated series, “Dan Vs.”, as well as other voice work in comedy. I never watched Criminal Minds, but I still fondly remember her from the hysterical and underrated Andy Richter Controls The Universe!

• Ammie says:

OMG I LOVED Andy Richter Controls the Universe! Another underrated show gone too soon. She was really great in that. Comedy is definately her forte. Check her out on the Thrilling Adventure Hour. Very funny and not a bad singer either.

• Kevin says:

Go on YouTube and search for “The Trouble with Normal.” It was a comedy from 2001 that only lasted one season. It wasn’t a great show but it had it’s moments and she was pretty good in that as well. Be sure to see the episode about the owles.

• Jax says:

It was called “Owl be seeing you” and it was pretty funny. Such a shame. It wasn’t a great show as you said but it was still a lot better than most of the crap on these days. I can’t believe it only lasted one season.

• moreid5eva says:

^THIS!
      I will always love Paget, but this just seems like a middle finger to CBS. And while they do deserve that from her…I will be watching CM live that night. I wish her every success but I am a loyal CM fan.

• goodluckPaget says:

Thank you!!!

• KSteel says:

First of all…she will be a guest star which means she will be in one episoed only. It’s not like she left criminal minds for this show. Second, pilot season was already over when she left Criminal Minds so that means she has to just take whatever guest rolles she can get until they start casting for new shows next season. I am quite certain she took the roll because that’s what working actresses do and not as a personal vendeta against CBS. Everyone just chill out.

• Jeff says:

Please…this isn’t a middle finger to anybody. It’s simply an actress picking up a paycheck and biding time until the next pilot season comes around.

• J Me says:

Ha Ha! You guys are trying so hard to make something out of nothing.

9. Saint Alicia says:

No question will be tuning in to SVU for Paget (she was the only thing keeping me watching CM). Kinda love that the premieres are airing head to head; some kind of karmic retribution?

10. Jessie says:

She was already on SVU, wasn’t she? The episode with Brian Dennehy? Not that it matters…this happens all the time with the Law and Orders :-)

• JLP says:

Yes. She was in the 2007 episode “Scheherazade” playing Sheila Tierney, the daughter of Brian Dennehy’s character. It wasn’t a big roll but she did a good job and it was a really great episode.

11. Marla says:

I will be watching BOTH shows, DVRing both and alternating which one I seewill “live” each week!!

12. sara says:

Paget was the only reason I watch Criminal Minds so it’s an easy decision that I will be watching SVU when she is on it. Can’t wait! Need more Paget on my tv.

13. Susie Q says:

I just saw someone I hated earlier and then I read this news and it perked me right up! This is the best news! Sorry CM, I’m gonna have to watch SVU that night! I hope to see her in more upcoming projects. Wish she was a series reg tho but I’ll take it! :D
    BEST NEWS!

14. Tori says:

Love her!!! Will Dean Winters also be in the premire?

15. Good luck to Paget and to SVU! It’ll be AMAZING to watch! =D

16. Vicky says:

Stop the madness!! Bring Chris Meloni back!!!! He is sooooooo needed!

17. Elizabeth says:

DVR is a blessing. Criminal Minds, SVU, and Supernatural all airing at the same time. Someone in TV Land hates me.

18. kendall says:

Best news ever!!!
    She was the only reason I watch Criminal Minds, sorry Criminal Minds, but I will be watching SVU!!!!!!!

19. J V Smith says:

I’ll record DVR SVU to watch Paget, but CM will be watched live. Will miss her talent on CM but Ms. Tripplehorn is a great replacement so looking forward to seeing her mix with all the BAU!

20. shahendr says:

The Criminal Minds bashing on here really baffles me.
    It really has one of the strongest casts on television. Sure Paget being gone is a real bummer, I loved her character and she is a terrific actress, but there is still so much talent on that show it really strikes me as odd that so many people are just abandoning it.
    Still, it’s definitely great to see that she’s jumping right back in with even a guest role on another great series. I really wish I hadn’t lost track of SVU in the first place, but I’m sure we’ll be recording her guest appearances at least.

• kendall says:

I’m sorry if my comment sound like bashing, but I discovered during season 6 that I can’t stand watching CM without her, not matter how much I love the cast.

• Saint Alicia says:

People haven’t said anything negative about the cast (and they are great), but the SHOW itself has really gone downhill. Compare seasons 1-4/5 to what’s being churned out now and it’s a huge step down in quality. Why would people stick around for more disappointment especially if their favorite character is gone? Personally, If they got Paget/Prentiss back I’d be willing to suffer along with the decline, but without her I just can’t muster it.

• moreid5eva says:

True, the show is not nearly as good as it was dur

• moreid5eva says:

Darn iPhone

No, you’re right. The show isn’t as good as it used to be, but just as you supported Paget, I will always watch MGG. I’m hoping to year will mark the beginning

• Jax says:

You can have the greatest actors in the world but if the writing is bad it’s bad. The cast is great but the show has really gone down hill. Season 6 and 7 were terrible. The only reason I stayed with it is because I wanted to see what they did with Prentiss. And once CBS brought her back I felt obligated to keep watching in support of Paget. Now that she is gone for good so am I. Nothing against the rest of the cast but I just can’t force myself to watch it any more.

21. Velvet says:

Unattractive and bad hair.

22. D says:

Of course I’m going to tune in on Law & Order: CBS Victims Unit. Since the middle of season 5 that CM has lost quality and seasons 6 and 7 were just painful to watch but I kept watching it anyway because of my favorite character, although now that she’s gone forever, I’m done with it.

23. Connie says:

I will truly miss Emily on CM. But I excited to see Paget in something new. I will also DVR both. I love both shows equally.

24. Do they have editors at tvline.com? “Captain Cragen (played Dann Florek), who, give the events”?!?! Really!??!

25. Mandy says:

Yay! I love Paget, and will take her in pretty much any form back on my TV screen. (The role isn’t bad, either—I started watching SVU for the first time in years just before the finale and am excited to see where the storyline goes.)

I am keeping an open mind going into Season 8 of Criminal Minds—I LOVE the team dynamics and am sad Prentiss will no longer be a part of it, but I will give it a chance. That being said, I am seriously considering watching SVU live and CM on the DVR.

26. September 26 I won’t be watching Criminal Minds…
    I’ll definitely be watching SVU just because of my girl Paget Brewster!! I can’t wait!!

27. I knew there would be snarky comments about her doing this when she said that she wanted to do comedy. She missed pilot season since she was still working on CM in the spring and right now is guest star season when the shows start casting for upcoming guest spots.

Brewster also appeared on SVU back in 2007, of course she isn’t the first to repeat guest on this show.

28. Mara says:

I loved CM for years and still love most of the cast, but I agree with previous comments that the writing on CM has gone severely downhill during the last two years. Now that my favorite cast member is gone, I don’t think I can stomach it anymore. I’ll be watching SVU. I might watch the CM premiere later.

29. goodluckPaget says:

So much for wanting to do comedy. Sorry SVU, Criminal Minds w/ or w/o Paget is my show.

30. katy917 says:

I can’t believe how many people claim they will stop watching the show because of ONE character leaving!!! What about the other SIX cast members who remain?? While I understand that everyone has a favourite character, I could never watch a show with 7 cast members if I only liked one of them! I agree that the show has not been as good the last 2 seasons and I hate the added focus on the unsubs rather than the team, it winds me up, so people saying they will stop because of Paget leaving AND the decline in the show I understand, but some people seem to be saying they will stop watching just because Paget has left, and as much as I love Paget and Emily there are 6 other reasons I tune in each week and Paget leaving will not stop me watching a show that I enjoy immensely, even if it isn’t as good as it used to be, I’ve been a loyal fan this long I ain’t about ot give up on it now!!

• Dav says:

And I can’t believe people still don’t understand it. People watch shows for different reasons. Sometimes because they love the story, sometimes because they love a character or characters, and yes, sometimes because they like a particular actor. I have watched plenty of really crappy shows just because i was a fan of a particular actor or actress. It’s not an insult to the show or to your taste…it’s just a fact that several people were big fans of either the character of Emily or of the actress Paget and the show is no longer interesting to them without her.

• Jax says:

Katy I’m glad you are still enjoying the show and will continue to watch. Really. But I wanted to point out that just because you could never do something doesn’t mean others couldn’t. To each their own…ya know?

31. April says:

Fortunately I have a DVR so I won’t have to choose. I’ll record both and watch them later. Very happy we get Paget back on TV if only for a little while.

32. LDSK says:

I see Law & Order is sticking with it’s policy of recycling guest actors. Not that I mind. It’s always worked out in the past and that’s how we got Casey Novak. To be honest I had stopped watching SVU several years ago when the writing got to rediculous. But I will definately tune back in to see Ms. Brewster.

33. Elyse says:

it’ll be criminal minds for me! i have DVR but wouldn’t waste my DVR space on SVU.

34. Kevin says:

I stopped watching SVU a while ago because it had turned into an utter crapfest. I tuned back in this year because I wanted to check out Kelli Giddish and Danny Pino. It was OK but not must see TV for me. This news, however, makes it must see. I will definately be tuning in to see Paget.

• ZIA says:

Surprisingly, I thought Giddish and Ice-T had really good chemistry. (No, not that way. Not everything has to be a ship). They give me hope that the show will be OK.

35. Daniel says:

Thanks for the great news Matt! I can’t wait for SVU to start!!

36. Tally says:

Interesting. Looks like I will be watching SVU Sept. 26th.

37. Alan says:

Great news! Love Paget and can’t wait to see her back on TV!

38. Lauren says:

It’s time like this, ( and they happen very Rarely) that I love living in Aus I watch online anyway so I can watch both. I’ll just have to see which one comes online first.

• Bianca says:

yes! i am the same! i pretty much watch all my tv online, so this wont make much of a difference. Not that i really watch SVU, but i will for her.

39. Jessica says:

I love both shows and will still watch both and who cares if Paget Brewster left criminal minds the show is still gonna be awesome we still got Matthew Gubler and the rest of the cast it doesn’t only revolve around Emily not gonna say shame on some of you for not watching it cause she’s gone I would be the same way if Matthew left the show

40. Immeonly says:

I love both shows. However, I will be watching Criminal Minds live and SVU after that. Sorry but Morgan and Reid are still there, and Garcia, never forget the chick behind their sucess! <3

41. jay says:

I dont see what all the fuss is about if you like criminal minds fine watch it if you like svu cool watch it if you like both do eenie meenie minie moe and watch the other later. See problem solved now was that so hard. Imma die hard svu fan so thats what i will be watching i will see how paget does in this and i might try giving cm a chance. But until then im going to stay true to my relationship with svu and hope they bring christopher meloni back because him and mariska hargitay were a great duo

42. Lily says:

I am so watching Criminal Minds. Paget wasn’t what held the show together so why stop? In my opinion, she wasn’t even that good. Reid is the amazing one! I don’t know why everyone’s making a big fuss over her. She was kind of ugly with her weird nose and unattractive hairstyles. All I want to say is good luck Paget and good ridence Prentiss. I can’t wait for Jeanne Tripplehorn to start off season 8. Finally, a change!

43. Bianca says:

im still going to watch Criminal Minds, yes it’s not going to be the same without Paget, and yes we are all going to miss her, but c’mon there are amazing characters/actors on the show. I still watched it during season 6, i stuck through it, and alot of you did too, so stick through it again, at least everyone else is still going to be there.

44. Tracy says:

Well first off, I can kinda relate to the people who r sayng that paget was the only reason why they actually watched the show (I mean yea, paget was totally fun to watch) but at the same time I think its sad how u guys are basically making the other cast members seem like they were just a waist to the show. I mean they’re all very talented, but sayng that u guys aren’t gonna support them anymore cuz paget’s gone is almost unnecessary. And plus, in my opinion I think paget really needed to try something new anyway… She has a lot more talent that could reaLly be used more on other shows.But I will definetly miss Emily Prentiss.

45. Shay says:

I was starting to feel like a stalker but I’m glad to see I’m not the only one… sorry CM but I will be tuning into SVU for Paget’s debut! I too have no need for the show without Prentiss:( on another note has anyone noticed that JJ and Struass has made appearances on svu also?! Hmmm

46. Vicky Theresa says:

I was watching criminal minds because I saw her and A.G <3 I'm only 16 n I find the show quite scarry….

47. Vicky Theresa says:

But yes I’m going to to miss her but theirs other amazing actors on there <3

48. jan karn says:

Good luck paget brewster

49. jackie says:

I love law and order svu i have watched every season and every epsoide that has ever airred kindof miss chrus meloni….elliot stabler but the new cast is just as good and olivia shes just amazing as ever cant way for season premerie on the 26th too see what pans out with the captin…..and too watch thus season should be just as good as all the rest

50. Elizabeth says:

I think you are making big mistake Paget but I watch both so will stil see you.Good luck.