American Idol: 14 Dream Candidates to Replace Steven, J.Lo and Randy as Judges

“Steven, J.Lo, and Randy, your journey ends this summer.” That’s been the phrase — delivered in the voice of Ryan Seacrest — percolating in the minds of American Idol fans over the last few weeks as the grandaddy of TV singing competitions prepares to reboot its judging panel once again.

Okay, okay…so only Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler have confirmed their exits from the Idol table, but after 11 seasons of barely intelligible feedback, insufferable name-dropping, incorrect use of air quotes, and an overwillingness to serve as a mouthpiece for producer manipulation, Fox isn’t going to reward Jackson with a twelfth season, right? (Please answer that in the affirmative.)

Whatever the case may be, Idol’s producers will have to hurry up and get a trio of judges in place before audition callback rounds start filming later this summer. And to help them with the hiring process, I’ve cooked up a list of a dozen dream candidates they should at least consider as replacements for Tweedle-Huh?, Tweedle-Abs, and Tweedle-Yo!

Click through my gallery of suggestions below, then hit the comments with your own brainstorming sessions. And for all my Idol news, interviews, and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (176)

• Madonna would be the worst idea in the history of Idol. All she has done in the last several years is try and be relevant by flashing skin during concerts in Europe. She’s weird, old, and creepy. Enough said.

Comment by Bartleby – July 17, 2012 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • so agree with this comment. I am so sick of Madonna.

Comment by marygrace – July 18, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved all the suggestions, especially Ben Folds, Linda Perry, Adam Lambert, Shania Twain, and Dolly Parton. The only reason I would hold back on Melinda is that I love her so much on Idology that I wouldn’t want her to not be able to do that, but I will admit it would be awesome to see her on the judges panel saying, “Oh sing it heifer!”

Comment by Em – July 17, 2012 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Debbie Harry

Comment by Jk – July 17, 2012 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good suggestion. I’d also suggest Cyndi Lauper.

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 17, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I say Shania and David Foster. And…someone else.

Comment by Nancy – July 17, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Madonna would never do it!!! WHere’s Katy Perry on your list. Remember when she almost gave KAra the Smackdown on Idol!! She’s funny, sexy, smart. kooky, and quite possibly the biggest female star on the planet!! I’d roll up the brinks truck to get her!!! Also Courtney Love. She can’t be any more drug addled then Paula and would love to see an edgy rocker chick presence on the show. ANd she NEEEEDs the money! THey might have to replace her halfway through but that could be the scandal they need to get attention!! And LAmbert is a cheap no brainer!!! Probably could get him for less than a million and the audience already loves him!!!

Comment by JASon – July 17, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I put your suggestions into four categories: 1. ABSOLUTELY NOT, 2. NO, 3. Maybe, and 4. Yes, Great Choice.

ABSOLUTELY NOT: Madonna, Aretha Franklin, Dolly Parton
    No: Pharrell Williams, John Legend, (Not that good on Duets),
    Mariah Carey (Love her, but no)
    Maybe: Adam Lambert, Sylvia Rhone, Ben Folds (Was good on The Sing-
    Off), Jody Watley, Melinda Doolittle (Love her, but too nice and
    too emotional)
    Yes, Great Choices: Shania Twain, Linda Perry, Lukasz Gottwald

My ideal panel would be Twain (Singer/Song Writer), Perry (Singer/Song Writer/Producer) and Gottwald (Writer/Producer) IF he’s got decent live TV skills.

No Divas, no conflicting egos, no Has-Beens, no one needing a career boost, and all intelligent and well spoken. All are talented in two, or more of the critical criteria: Singing, Song Writing and Producing. And, I think all three would judge, and critique, without bias. Lambert, Watley and Doolitle would be popular additions, but I’m not sure they would be as good as judges as my three choices. Rhone might be a good judge, since she headed three major studios, but she might not be excepted too well on live TV.

My Absolutely Not’s would be a disaster, and my No’s would be big mistakes, for various reasons.

Comment by Ron – July 17, 2012 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That should be Rhone might not be “accepted” too well……

Comment by Ron – July 18, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Idol should resort back to its original 4 judge format… I think Randy will stay. The following dream 4 are…

1. Randy Jackson
    2. Justin Timberlake
    3. Mariah Carey
    4. Aretha Franklin
    *5. Madonna

I think if Aretha shall choose not too, or either Mariah, I think Madonna would also be a great choice. If there would only be 3, I think it could be Justin, Randy, and Mariah.

I would also be interested in seeing maybe someone like Joe Jonas, Shakira, Beyonce, or Michael Buble in it.. But not sure if anyone Of them is interested.

Comment by Matt – July 17, 2012 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …The original format had 3 judges: Simon, Paula and Randy. Out of 11 seasons only two of them had 4 judges.

Comment by Brady – July 18, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEN FOLDS. Actually, scratch that, just bring back the Sing Off.

Idol always tries to follow trends, it’s all about demographics and money. I see your Britney, Demi, and LA Reid, X-Factor, and raise you a Miley Cyrus, Will.I.Am, and Bret Michaels. (Not a huge fan, but that’s my prediction)

Comment by Jackal – July 17, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DOLLY PARTON WOULD BE AMAZING. I did think John Legend was good on duets. I’m sorry but I just don’t agree with Adam Lambert. I think Paula Abdul should return especially if Randy is not coming back — you need some sense of continuity — i don’t want to see a massive change.

Comment by kim – July 17, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justin Timberlake, please!!! He’s both funny and crazy talented.

Then I’d go for Kelly. She’s Idol royalty. And she won! That’s the idea, right -to win. So, no to Lambert. And I need Melinda Do to remain on Idology. She and Michael are great together.

Finally, I’d go for Usher. Yeah that’s my Dream Team. JT, Kelly and Usher. They’re all class acts and know their stuff.

If one of them couldn’t do it, then Harry Connick, Jr. He was hilarious and insightful when he mentored.

Comment by karenb – July 17, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Melinda Doolittle. She’s funny on Slezak’s show. But I don’t think she has a shot in heck because she’s only had moderate success after the show. She’s not a big name. She’d be good as one of the vocal coaches they feature in the audition episodes (I always wondered how they get chosen – just what qualifies them to coach others?)

Adam Lambert is in the grey area as far as success. He’s not as big as Clarkson or Underwood or Daughtry (the biggest of the nonwinners) but could be soon. However, he’d be an excellent judge.

I also like Jimmy Iovine but realize there might be a problem with that since he works for the record company.

I love the idea of Linda Perry. Shania Twain would be good for the country role.
    I don’t want to see Mariah Carey.

As far as other suggestions, how about someone like Mellencamp, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, or Ann Wilson from Heart? (It would be nice to have a female on the panel that did not need autotune.)

Comment by Snsetblaze – July 17, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would add Kelly Clarkson to the list.

Comment by Tim – July 17, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Five of the judge ideas were great, the others, not so much. Not just personal preference but what it takes to watch, evaluate, be realistic, be entertaining, not have it be all about YOU and not the contestant, be able to recognize what these kids can do to improve as opposed to what you’d like them to do but is outside their skill set, etc. I’d love to see Linda Perry, Dr.Luke, Adam Lambert, Pharrell, can’t remember who else, but much as I love Dolly and Mariah, don’t think they’d be good at this particular gig. Madonna is always about Madonna, so can’t see that working Don’t know enough about John Legend or Jody’s personalities to know if they are a fit. Just being a star or very talented doesn’t cut it in this circumstance.
    None of the powers that be give a flying fig what we think, but it’s fun to have an opinion anyway.

Comment by Pattygale – July 17, 2012 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shania Twain and Adam Lambert

Comment by Beth – July 17, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Lambert, Pharrell Williams and Madonna!!!

Comment by Gabi (@itisaball) – July 17, 2012 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s Manilow??

Comment by DMan – July 17, 2012 10:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and Gene Simmons

Comment by ES – July 17, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My vote is for David Cook. He’s an AI winner, an incredible singer, a songwriter, a musician. He’s been performing since he was 15 so he knows what its like to be a young performer. Remember the rearrangement of covers that he did/does. Understands how to pick the right song, the right key, the right arrangement. He’s a gifted speaker. A big issue – it wouldn’t be all about him. He’s got the right heart to give meaningful advice in a helpful way. He cares about people.

Comment by Diane (@anotherleftydc) – July 17, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d go with Linda Perry, Dolly, and Ben Folds.

Comment by Olive – July 17, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some of the namedrops are great but I doubt they would accept the position without asking for a hefty salary. Adam Lambert would make the most ideal judge as he came from Idol. He had been through the whole process and he’s the best man to help out the contestants. His input would be invaluable to them. Besides, his candor, wit, cheekiness and outspokenness would be refreshing and I daresay, entertaining as well, not to mention, he’s easy on the eyes.

Comment by ModestYChild (@ModestYChild) – July 18, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be a good mix having two former Idol contestants–namely Adam Lambert and Kelly Clarkson-)with two older more-seasoned judges such as Dolly Parton and some male star (can’t think of who). I think it would kind of be cool to have Ryan Seacrest judge. Maybe the show could have three regular judges and a guest judge every week. I love the idea of putting Dolly in the judge’s seat.

Comment by Ally – July 18, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the idea of a guest judge every week as long as it isn’t someone just doing promo. Would you have them also mentor the kids for the week?

Comment by Lisa (@KittyKay3) – July 18, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree 100% with Linda Perry.

What about Cher?

Comment by lalunafour – July 18, 2012 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see Melinda, Dolly and Adam but know this male world will not like that big of a flip of 2 women and one guy. Also like John Legend and while not a big Shania music fan, enjoyed her as a guest judge.

Comment by marygrace – July 18, 2012 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You left off a major force from your list who would make an awesome judge… and be entertaining as well. Ameircan Idol “Vocal Coach From Hell” Peggy Blu!

Comment by zob – July 18, 2012 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or Stevie Nicks? All of the Season 11 contestants loved her as a mentor. She bothered to learn the songs the contestants were singing and was able to give good feedback.

Comment by Melissa – July 18, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • put Celine Dion on the list and it’ll be perfact!

Comment by Tiff613 – July 18, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Adam, Pharrel and Shaina.

Comment by Peggy – July 18, 2012 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe if they actually get Mariah Carey, then that takes all of her songs (all the seriously overd

Comment by Tara – July 18, 2012 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh stupid phone. Anyway, hopefully that would take all of the seriously overdone songs from her catalog away.

I think Adam Lambert would be a wonderful choice, and I do absolutely LOVE the idea of Harry Connick, Jr!!

Comment by Tara – July 18, 2012 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES to pharell, dolly, mariah, sylvia, john legend, melinda (all for obvious reasons)
    NO to adam (too green), madonna (no talent), ben folds (boring as a judge), aretha (i know i know, she is freaking amazing…just from what i have seen from her when she isn’t singing she seems too aloof), luksz (wrote some of the dumbest, more unfortunate songs out there right now)
    MAYBE to shania, jody, linda
    YES to the suggestion of harry connick, jr!

Comment by tewence – July 18, 2012 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My absolute “never gonna happen” wish is for Steve Van Zandt to judge. He was a great mentor and his music knowledge is unsurpassed – he is an encyclopedia.

Comment by Joe Smith – July 18, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of all of them only Malinda Doolittle!!
    They sould also get Mandisa or Carrie Underwood!

Comment by Hannah – July 18, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shania Twain, John Legend, and Olivia Newton-John

Comment by gmrbama – July 18, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Adam lambert, dolly Parton, Melinda Doolittle, and even Ben folds. Why not 4 judges?

Comment by Ruthanne – July 18, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Lambert!!!!!!

Comment by Jenn – July 18, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melinda Doolittle Dolly Parton Ben Folds I think they all seem quick and insightful and articulate, kind but willing to give helpful criticism

Comment by Sheila Hughes – July 18, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ben Folds, Harry Connick, Jr., Melinda Doolittle (if you’re going to dredge up a past contestant). I’m also OK with Dolly Parton or Linda Perry.

Comment by Miz (@Miztig) – July 18, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My dream panel would be Adam, Ben, and Aretha. I mean, come on.

Comment by J – July 18, 2012 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh you hysterical Idolberts! You’re not fooling anyone! Adam would be terrific…sorry your guy isn’t even in consideration!

Comment by JasPer – July 18, 2012 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m fine with Adam and Shania, the rest not so much. My dream panel would consist of Jon Bon Jovi, Cher and Babyface [Kenny Edmonds]. That gives us singer/songwriter/chart topper/producer. And since Bon Jovi crosses generations and Cher has broad appeal, ratings would hold. I’d like to see a column about how destructive the unlimited voting is to the ratings.

Comment by Templar – July 18, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They would never get him but i would say Justin Timberlake would be a great choice.

Comment by Tony – July 18, 2012 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael Slezak would be a good choice…. just sayin’! Then I would actually watch AI instead of just watching Idology :)

Comment by Boss – July 18, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Adam Lambert, Dolly Parton, and Pharell. They would pretty well cover a lot of genres, and i think they’re all talented and intelligent enough to make insightful comments on genres they’re not personally involved in.

Comment by Artemis – July 18, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote for Harry Connick and Ben Folds. If it’s Lambert, I’ll never watch the show again.

Comment by ERc – July 18, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of given choices i would pick Adam Lambert & Pharrel, i also would like to see Justin Timberlake or P!nk on judge panel. if they really want to shake up the show these are great choices.

Comment by Nadia – July 18, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American Idol judges need 2 B people who Rn’t trying to win friends. They need to be opinionated yet helpful, w/o apologizing 4 honesty. A producer is a must, someone young (go Adam) and a veteran who does not care what anyone thinks. Madonna would B a gr8 choice

Comment by eddieginsburg (@eddieginsburg) – July 18, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Harry Connick Jr (kudos to the person who mentioned him first), Dolly Parton, and Melinda Doolittle would do it for me.

But that means Slezak needs a new sidekick on Idology. How about Randy Jackson for that? We’d only have one episode of Idology, but it would make for a couple of REALLY interesting minutes of web video before the police would be called in.

Comment by Rusty – July 18, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One great option that you left out and might actually work is Seal. His appearance as a judge in the voice of Australia was great, I loved him.
    A bonus is that he might actually cause a female winner.

Comment by MSnc – July 18, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Billy Joel? Huey Lewis? Elton John? Bryan Adams?

Comment by frank – July 18, 2012 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Will.I.Am is not a judge, I’m good.

Comment by Loni – July 18, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post