Comic-Con

Supernatural @ Comic-Con: Season 8 Scares Up an Epic Chase, an Old Enemy and New Romance

Get More: Comic-Con, Scoop, Spoilers

Supernatural Jared Padalecki Misha Collins Jensen AcklesSupernatural‘s time in purgatory will be short-lived, but what happened to Dean and Sam during their separation will play a big role in Season 8, the CW drama’s executive producers previewed at the show’s Sunday Comic-Con panel. They also talked about how this year’s theme – Raiders of the Lost Ark – will lead to some antagonistic chases, Cas’ status and some of the new relationships that have formed. Read on for highlights!

RELATED | TVLine’s Bad Boy Tournament: Supernatural‘s Dean Vs. Firefly‘s Mal Reynolds!

WELCOME BACK | How does new showrunner Jeremy Carver feel about being back at work on the show? “It’s sort of like having been a camper and coming back as a counselor,” he replied.

SEEKING POWER | The brothers are “starting the season on the offense,” shared Carver. “They really want something. It ties in very deeply with the mythology [and is] something very near and dear to their hearts. They are very much united” in their quest to get it. So what is the mysterious something? Sam, Dean, Kevin and Crowley are “all involved in a chase for a power source, ultimately,” hinted Edlund.

PURGING PURGATORY | “[Dean's] return from purgatory is going to come quite quickly,” revealed Edlund, but the story of what happened there will “be something we explore over the course of the season” via flashbacks. “There’s a whole body of events that take place there,” he continued. “There are meetings and conflicts. … It affects the future in all these different ways. They’re going to meet some badasses down there.” Jensen Ackles joked that after going to Hell, purgatory is “like diet Hell.”

BONDS OLD AND NEW | “The strength of the show is the bond between these two brothers,” said Carver. But while the sibs were separated, “it had a profound effect on each of them. And each has gone a very separate way. They will each carry what happened in their [time] away from each other.” In the interim, Dean and Sam have both made new relationships that “will carry forward and be very, very important.” Adds Edlund, “They’re kind of emotional shut-ins that have to learn to deal with other people. … We’re trying to get into more complex, real human relationships.”

A RELATIONSHIP TURNS SOUR | The Winchsters’ frenemy-like relationship with Crowley will become “much more antagonistic…. He is going to be an issue,” warned Edlund. Added Mark Sheppard: “We’re kind of chasing after the same thing, so it could be a problem.”

RELATED | Supernatural Casts Sam’s New Love Interest

LOVE IS IN THE AIR | “Sam is totally getting some action this season,” confirmed Jared Padalecki. But what about Dean? “Does Dean ever really get romance?” replied Ackles. “I think the only real romance in Dean’s life is the car. So in that regard, absolutely.”

M.I.A. CAS | Where did Castiel disappear off to in the Season 7 finale? “He went out for beer, and he’ll be back shortly,” joked Misha Collins, who pleaded the fifth when asked when the angel will return.

Comments (58)

• Real talk: This show would totally fit in on SyFy. In both good and bad ways.

Comment by Sam – July 15, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t go after a power source called purgatory in season 6? Why do that again? I would be happy if that’s a literal chase. Not just everyone at their place and enchanting some Mantras.

Comment by KS Winchester (@winchesterks) – July 15, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Purgatory wasn’t a power source – the souls within it, when harnessed were a power-source for God-Cas. Purgatory is a place, not a power source. Now they are IN purgatory with all the monster souls that were once in Cas, but were retuned when he couldn’t handle it. Including dead leviathans like Dick Roman.

Comment by rowan77 – July 15, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why did Dean change his jacket? He’s had the same one inn every episode :(
    Still a great show!

Comment by adambramble – July 15, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you talkin’ ’bout the old leather jacket? If you are, then I just wanted to say that, that jacket was stolen off the set. Pity, huh?

Comment by Nia – July 15, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That suxs lol.

Comment by adambramble – July 15, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was stolen, but not off the set. It was in transit up to Canada from Burbank and the hero version of the jacket was stolen and not deemed worth replacing at the cost of making one from scratch. The really dumb thing is that the person who stole it can’t sell it or wear it without people finding out what they did.

Comment by rowan77 – July 15, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better question: Why did Dean change to such an ugly jacket?

Comment by Ari – July 15, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the new jacket way better, and it fits him a lot better too. The old one was way too big.

Comment by Mcat – July 15, 2012 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • his old jacket was stolen by an airport security guard and never returned

Comment by Kokopelli – July 16, 2012 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No offense Vlada, but this is one skimpy article. Nothing new is in here. We already knew from Robert Singer that Dean and Cas would get out of Purgatory quickly, Sam would have a new girlfriend and that that they weren’t ready to say how many episodes feature Castiel. So, does this mean nothing new was gleaned from the panel? If so, that’s pretty lame.

Comment by rowan77 – July 15, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, dude. They said that Kevin, Crowley, Sam and Dean are on a hunt to find a power source this season, which he didn’t elaborate on. I guess, that’s something. Wait for more press room interviews.

Comment by KS Winchester (@winchesterks) – July 15, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, TVline, could you please make up stuff that *wasnt* said at the panel to placate ol’ Rowan 777 here? LOL

Comment by Lauren – July 15, 2012 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What I was saying is that none of this is new information. This has already been released so repeating it is a waste of time. There had to have been more discussed no the panel than that.

Comment by rowan77 – July 15, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And apparently there was more – Huffington Post’s article was larger and had more info. Which is sad because The Huffington Post is crap. Maybe Vlada was only given a certain amount of words for her article and was not allowed to go over that. Whatever. I’m just glad that not only is Jeremy Carver back, Ben Edlund has taken on an expanded role again this year. This should be a lot of fun.

Comment by rowan77 – July 15, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for the season to start! It seems like it will be really emotional for the boys, they have to sort of “grow-up” and have relationships outside of their comfort zone.

Comment by Dee – July 15, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the things that affected bros love make me cry
    what gonna happen when they are separate?:(

Comment by arefe – July 15, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they pretending Dean never gets any romance when most of season 6 was dedicated to him and Lisa?

Are we just pretending that never happened?

Comment by David F. – July 15, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually yes everybody is pretending that never happened…hmmm wonder why?!?

Comment by Ramona Bivolan – July 15, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Because at the end of it all, Dean made them all forget. Doesn’t mean we as viewers have forgotten. Or Sam & Dean, for that matter.

Comment by neums (@neums) – July 15, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well Jensen seems to have forgotten that storyline ever happened,also the writters and a whole bunch of viewers would like to forget soooo yeah….

Comment by Ramona Bivolan – July 16, 2012 01:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I never thought of the Dean/Lisa relationship as much of a romance. I thought it was more of a reaction to Sam’s going to Hell and Dean’s way of filling that void. I didn’t think that Lisa really understood Dean, his life or the risk of being involved with him so that relationship was just frustrating to watch. I think Dean loved Ben more than Lisa…maybe because he knew that he and Lisa couldn’t last. Dean needs someone like Jo…someone sassy and gutsy who won’t take any garbage from him and can handle his life.

Comment by Tracy – July 16, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope Sam doesn’t do anything bad while Dean was in Purgatory…

Comment by Dan – July 15, 2012 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes he’s the prophet kid!

Comment by katy917 – July 16, 2012 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is Kevin? Is that the prophet kid? I don’t remember his name…

Comment by Abby – July 15, 2012 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wondering the same thing. Is it the brother?

Comment by tp – July 15, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SPOILER SPOILER

Apparantly, Sam is gonna turn away from the hunting life, ’cause Dean is gone.

Comment by Nia – July 15, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait. SN is still my favorite show on TV right now. Where’s the video interview, though? These guys always give fun interviews.

Comment by Carrie – July 15, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for the new season to start! The Leviathan arc sucked, so they should never revisit that, but the show is still awesome overall.

I actually wouldn’t mind them revisiting Lisa and Ben sometime. The story could have worked out in interesting ways if the writers weren’t determined to end it.

Comment by Drew – July 15, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The writers ended it because the fans complain whenever one of the guys gets a love-interest that lasts more than one episode.

Comment by David F. – July 15, 2012 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which is a shame, because it limits the series. Jo was a great character, but people complained about her until she was gone… and then acted like they loved her all along. Lisa and Ben added a really compelling element to the show, but again, they were pushed out.

I don’t want the Winchesters’ development as characters to be limited by vocal fangirls who want the boys all for themselves (or each other… ick). It is time to start building futures for them.

Comment by Drew – July 15, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • this has nothing to a Becky-syndrome. My issue on this is the fact the boys had come to the realization that they can’t and shouldn’t have relationships. Not and be hunters. That is, only, one of my issues with this ‘love interest’ for Sam thing. At time we should be seeing the boys re-connecting to each other, we get another group of writers not getting it. yeah, I dig that Carver was around back in Season 1, but this is not season 1. the boys have grown since then. Had loves, and hey rolls and come out on the other side reconciled with where their lives stand in that area.

The thing that has not been dealt with is the relationship between Sam and Dean.

Sara shied away from any real emotional scenes like they where poison. Be it that lame followup episode to Bobby dying in the hospital, where all we got was a short montage of the boys sitting around, or Sam being quick to forgive Dean for killing Amy. This show was built around the boys. Their relationship to each other. The emotion of being brothers and hunters, the issues they have with each other. it seems that with seasons 5′s end, and the start of season 6 we have a totally different show.

And now we have Carver, trying to bring in his own spin on the show. Wanting to bring in what he wanted to do with ‘Being Human’ into our show.

This is not Being Human.

This is Supernatural, I wish they would stop trying to shoe horn it into something it is not.

Before you go out and get the boys girlfriends, how about reconnecting the boys to each other?

Oh and while your at it, how about addressing all the unanswered questions from the last 7 seasons.

Comment by DarkMaiden – July 15, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU! SEE THIS POST, CARVER?? READ THIS POST AND DO WHAT IT SAYS!!!

Comment by Liv – July 15, 2012 08:12 PM PDT
          • Or you could wait until you actually see what they write for the show before you criticize what they wrote… Have they even started filming yet, and you’re already bashing Jeremy Carver’s work as showrunner? Seriously?

Season 6 was not a bad season. I don’t care what anyone says, it was pretty solid. It wasn’t the same arc as seasons 1-5, so obviously it was going to have a different feel to it, and I think they pulled it off.

Season 7 had some really good arcs, but the Leviathan story was a mess.

But I don’t get what you want. You want them to focus exclusively on the relationship between Sam and Dean? So, should they not have any other stories at all? Should Sam and Dean take a vacation together and hammer out their issues or something? How they relate to each other has nothing to do with how they relate to other people. In real life, brothers get girlfriends and wives and kids, and you know what happens to the brothers? They keep being brothers. It’s been going on that way for a while now.
            Your argument against relationships is that they’ve never worked in the past. So tell me, how many people do you know who have a bad relationship and then swear off of them for the rest of their lives because it didn’t work once or twice in the past? Again, that’s not how the world works. You find a lot that don’t work, and then one that does.

The new season might suck for any number of reasons, but trying to give the characters some new stories to play out just might work. I personally don’t want to see them repeating the same story over and over again, without ever actually growing as characters.

Comment by Drew – July 15, 2012 09:04 PM PDT
          • You seem to think I am not going to watch, or give the season a chance, and I don’t believe I even inferred that. But, my issue is with this shoehorning in a love interest into the boy’s lives when they haven’t even taken the time to reestablished the relationship between the boys, that got shot to hell in seasons 4,5 and 6. Understand, if it was a case of bring back Sarah, or a resurrected Madison (I would never expect them to bring back Jessica, she is too important to the mystique and mythos of the show to bring her back from the dead) I would not have an issue, seeing as both women have a foundation in Sam’s life. But, unless Dean is gone long enough for same to decide to get on with his life (I figure that would take him about 2 years, or so) I don’t see him doing anything but trying to get Dean back, dealing wth Crowley and the Levis. Sam is nothing, if not single-minded in purpose.

Comment by DarkMaiden – July 15, 2012 09:40 PM PDT
          • You have no context whatsoever for your comments. You don’t know how or why anything happens, and you certainly haven’t seen how they’re going to execute that idea. (by the way, the relationship is done by the time Dean gets back, according to the ComicCon panel) You are making bold statements about shoehorning and neglecting the brother relationship before you have even a video preview to work from. Having new characters for the brothers to interact with is not going to damage the story of the brothers themselves. Carver has said that the brother relationship is the core of the show… but as someone with three brothers of my own, I can tell you right now that having a life away from family only serves to improve your family relationship. Why would you assume that this would be a bad thing for their relationship?

Comment by Drew – July 16, 2012 09:03 AM PDT
          • Dude, you seem to read a hell of a lot into what I am saying that I haven’t even implied, let alone said.
            I did, finally, get to see some of the interviews from last night and some of it salves my concerns, while somethings Jared said, just adds to my consternation.
            and, again, I am going to be watching, and hoping that there will be a refocusing on the brothers, (Oh and you need to understand something, what works for one family does not, necessarily, works for another. So just cause you and your family, gets by with whatever emotional connection you have, does not mean that is the same for another. You, nor your family, represent how all family dynamics work) and their relationship to each other.

Comment by DarkMaiden – July 16, 2012 09:43 AM PDT
        • Man, I miss Jo and Ellen. It was so nice having some female hunters around. Killing them off was one of the only decisions SPN has ever made that I have absolutely loathed. Was their death a really great, emotional, true to character scene? Yes it was. Was it about 4 years too soon? Yes it was.

Comment by Ari – July 15, 2012 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My issue (as my post states below) isn’t that they have love interests, it’s that they don’t seem to know how to write women who are love interests. Once they get past a certain point, it’s like they don’t know what to do with female characters except make them whiny and needy. Lisa is a GREAT example of this. She started out really well (as opposed to Jo, who I thought was immature from the get-go and didn’t come off as mature until her last appearance in season 05, where she DIED). Then Lisa tells Dean to go out and be a hunter and come back when he can, then when he comes back she whines endlessly about how she can’t handle it and how unfair it is that she can’t move on with her life in the rest of her appearances. I LIKED her, and by the end I was glad she was gone. Women like Charlie (Felicia Day, who I hope they bring back), Pamela, Ellen all turn out fine. But once they’re romantic interests they written as needy little girls. Can’t stand it. Ironically, the only one who wasn’t was Ruby, who was secret!evil. Can they do one like Ruby but without the secret!evil part? Please?

Comment by kate – July 15, 2012 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I get what you’re saying, but I think that the Lisa story was interesting… Yeah, she started getting whiny, but stress in a relationship will do that. And Dean wasn’t being totally open and honest, he was trying to keep his worlds separate, which didn’t work. Did he ever even explain why he shoved Ben that night?

But those are realistic stories to play. That story should have been continued and dealt with, because it was an interesting new aspect of this world to explore… except, they decided to just get rid of Lisa totally. I really wish they’d go back and revisit that character.

Charlie didn’t work for me. Too “been there, done that” as a character, because she was just a cliche character that I’ve seen a million times before, and she really didn’t fit well into this show, in my opinion.

Jo was immature at first, but that was cool with me. I liked seeing her want to mature, but being held back. They should have explored that more and we should have seen her development. But from what I remember, they got rid of her because she wasn’t enough of a love interest, she was more of a little sister… But that worked, in my opinion.

Bottom line is, the trick for the Winchesters will be the same as for anyone. Find someone who fits into your life and makes it better. Lots of failure built into that plan.

Comment by Drew – July 15, 2012 09:10 PM PDT
  • Really not thrilled with the romance aspect for Sam. I just don’t want it. It’s not that they’ll go that heavy on it, it’s just that I’m so tired of them being unable to figure out what to do with women besides turn them into whiny, needy little girls. Lisa started out really great – strong, sympathetic, smart – but by the end of her arc she was so unreasonable about Dean’s life that I was glad she was gone. I don’t need to witness the same thing happening with Sam’s new girlfriend. Of course, Sam has a death dick, so maybe she won’t be around so long that she becomes annoying anyway.

Comment by kate – July 15, 2012 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, “death dick”! Love that!

Comment by ninamags – July 15, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • haha thanks. btw, the HuffPo post on this says she’s already gone and we only see her in flashbacks, so I’m already feeling better about the whole thing.

Comment by kate – July 15, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meg always said Crowley always has something to do with it, and she was right. I figure he wants to become the ruler of not only Hell but Earth and Heaven as well. He is a very ambitious demon and has come a long way from his cross roads days.

I don’t know how they are going to have Sam linked up with this new ‘girlfriend’ as his recurring love interest. We all know that any long term female relationships do not last with the brothers and would drastically change the show. This is not the ‘Brady Bunch’ and with the brothers always hunting something or saving the world…again..it doesn’t leave any room for the ‘come when you can’ arrangement. And if Dean wanted to keep his new ‘life’ with Lisa, he would have stayed with her and just been happy that Sam was alive (even if he didn’t know about the soulless thing). The writers have always written the brother being together or reuniting if separated, so I can’t see why that would change. This is a dark series and the guys would have just another person to worry about besides each other. I have no idea what power source they are going after, but according to what was written, I guess we are supposed to have a hint already. Can’t wait for S.8 to start!

Comment by Mrs. Peele – July 15, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant wait. I’m so happy to have Carver back and his vision, I love that he knows the core of the show is Sam and Dean and them being united.

Comment by Isabelle – July 15, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He did a great job with Being Human. Even with love interests and outside friends, that show never forgets its core relationship between the three roommates.

Comment by Drew – July 15, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it awful that I like that they are emotional shut ins? It just makes them appeal to me more that they have just a few close friends that they trusted, like Castiel and Bobby. Not that I wouldn’t mind seeing Gabriel come into that circle, but that tight nit group is what really draws me.

Comment by Kayla – July 15, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVLINE! The HuffPo post on this was so much more informative. Come on guys, up your game! I love this site.

Comment by kate – July 15, 2012 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, why are they being so secretive about whether or not Castiel will be back?! This bugs me, they better not pull a season 7 on us again. I want Misha back fulltime. And dammit Jensen, why can’t you ever give the Dean/Cas fans some love? ;) The car…ridiculous! They’re stuck in purgatory for goodness sake!

Comment by Ella – July 15, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw a horrible interview (MTV Geek) where I thought Misha Collins and Mark Shepard both said they were going to back for several episodes each. Jim Beaver was more quiet and they kept saying he was dead, but it is Supernatural. I did think they were very coy in the panel and left Misha’s name out purposely. Then again Carver said angels and demons are back so I assume Castiel will be in for the ride. Hopefully, he will lose the psych ward clothes.

Comment by Susan – July 15, 2012 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Darn…I want Cas back >:I
    Not so thrilled about the Kevin thing too, this guy is a walking stereotype…
    The rest sounds pretty promising tough :)

Comment by mac – July 16, 2012 02:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much of this seasons episodes of the season will be filled with much of the same, “Why didn’t you come save me” drama between Sam and Dean that we saw in Season 4. It is time to bring Satan back into the mix. If they can bring Bobby back 10,000 times, they can certainly find a way to unlock the Prince of Darknesses cage!

Comment by Michael Grooms – July 16, 2012 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya know it.
      Honestly, I would love to see them flip the script on the Lucifer thing and make it that they have to release him to save the world. I really believe that Lucifer (as played by Mark) was not the bad guy, perse. He was a kid who felt betrayed by daddy, and had a moment(about a few thousand years) of rebelion, but still had faith in, much, of what his father built. We know Luci loved the earth. (Said so in The End) So what if something really big came along that would end it, not just be a threat to the human race. Have Lucifer be the only real weapon to this big bad, and we can watch as the boys try and figure out how to open the cage, without the help of Death.

It would be funny to see the guys running around trying to open seals (Never happen, but would be funny, to me). More then likely it would require some really complicated spell, and some tough decisions on the part of the boys.

Whatever the do, I too wish to see Lucifer back. :)

Comment by DarkMaiden – July 16, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad that Cas is coming back but I would REALLY LIKE to see Gabriel again. I miss RICHARD SPEIGHT JR. a lot! Thanks!

Comment by Gigi – July 17, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited! It kind of pisses me, how fans first complain by saying they want something new…then the writers make something new, and afterwards people start complaining by saying that the show isn’t what it used to be!! My God!! People, just watch the show and enjoy it, while you have it ;)

Comment by Long live supernatural!! – July 17, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is a difference between new, and ignoring continuity, to make your own mark. Do you really have no issue with what has been revealed so far? That Sam will be portrayed as a selfish jerk who, from how things are framed, turns his back on his brother and hunting just to ‘once more’ have a normal life? Even after he had stated, (multiple times I might add) he was not that person anymore.

Comment by DarkMaiden – July 17, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • just finished watching the interviews with jensen and jared sounds like this season is going to be good to me there seems to be a lot of complainin goin on and the season has nt even started yet come on give it a chance supernatural has always been the best for me but some seasons have been weaker than others but i think yoy get that with any long runing series think they ve got some good idea s lined up dont mind the fact that sam s got a love interest the guys have to have something beside s huntin in there lives hope they ve got something in the works for dean as well though waitin now for october hope its as good a season as were expectin.

Comment by deb hanley – July 19, 2012 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post