Comic-Con

Grimm Gang Talks 'Shocking' Renewal, Nick's 'Badass' Ma, Juliette's Fate and Deeper Mythology

The mood was anything but Grimm when the cast of NBC’s returning supernatural series made camp in TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite.

For one, they had to marvel at how their Season 2 pick-up came way back in March – “It was shocking to be the first thing renewed,” said Silas Weir Mitchell – and they noted how getting an early Olympics-boosted return platform makes them “feel very secure about the show.” (The first four episodes will air Mondays at 10/9c, starting Aug. 13, before moving back to the Fridays-at-9 slot.)

And then… they started serving up scoop, including the arrival of the Woman in Black (played by Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio) will help her son Nick “build his Grimm tool kit.” (Plus, new series regular Bree Turner notes, “She looks really good in tight leather.”)

Bitsie Tulloch talked about Juliette’s coma and whether she’ll remember Nick’s revelation; Mitchell noted how having Nick’s mom aka another Grimm around will be kinda “dangerous” for the likes of Monroe; and Sasha Roiz shared how a growing “family dynamic” will challenge Renard’s power.

All told, Reggie Lee emphasized, “The mythology gets much, much, much deeper in Season 2.”

Press PLAY now to get the whole Grimm story.

Loading video...

1. Astrid says:

that awkward moment when you don’t care at all about Juliet. why don’t they just find a new heroine. aargh. she’s the only one who bothered me as a character last season.

• mia says:

I quite like Juliet, she’s so normal and relatable and the actress does a lovely job. I juts wish they gave her more to do and really brought her into the team dynamic with the rest of them.

• Spencer says:

Juliet’s more bad a** then Nick was last season! Like when she threw the boiling water on the thief while Nick was injured or whatever! I really like her, not so much Nick.

• Dana says:

Are you high? Or did you miss some episodes of Grimm? Nick took down reapers, saved Monroe’s butt in the Wesen arena, saved Hank, helped Rosalee, took down Adalind, helped the Eisenbers grow a backbone…god, I could go on and on! I will never understand why some fans believe Nick does nothing or that he is useless. I don’t think any of you will ever be pleased until Nick goes on a muderous mass wesen slaying or something.

• The Mom says:

Try leaving snide personal remarks out of your comments, please, really not necessary to get your point across. I like ALL the characters, even the villains…they are all so well acted! I especially LOVE Monroe and Sgt Wu has some of the BEST lines in the show…or maybe he just makes them sound like the best lines. Great show, great cast, great writing!!

• Tina says:

I agree, Nick is the total package! Cute, sensitive, but strong when called on, a man with integrity! Rare in TV Land!! Juliet is real perfect for him, she just needs time to understand it all, but now that she has been infected will true love overcome the poison??

• Trent says:

Dana, well said! One of the pleasures of the first season was watching Nick grow into and fully embrace his Grimm abilities. He started off completely in denial and developed into a full-blown Grimm ninja. By the final episodes, even Monroe was impressed by his bada** fighting skills. LOVE this show and can’t wait for the new episodes!

• Johnna Baker says:

Right On!!!!!!!!!!!! Nick is the GRIMM! Ummmmmm Love all the Grimm family. Never miss a show.

• Jarod says:

Can they really be called fans if they gripe about the main character?

• The last thing I want is Juliette and Nick to break up. I don’t want this show to become yet another one of those shows with a single hero and I don’t want to watch two seasons of him finding love. I’d rather have a stable relationship and personally, I like Juliette.

• Pluie says:

I agree with you, their relationship is one of the most stable, grown-up, drama free relationships on TV. I like Juliette, she’s sweet and caring, understanding without being a pushover. And a grown woman with her own life that doesn’t revolve exclusively around her relationship with Nick, I like that about her.

• Jason says:

Exactly what I was thinking. Their mature relationship is a breath of fresh air. It’s comforting to see Nick and Juilette turn to each other I hope the show never loses that, or at least not for long.

• Parker says:

Amen, Jessica. It’s a pleasure to see a truly adult relationship on a genre show. Juliet doesn’t nag Nick and she doesn’t put her life on hold for him. She’s not stupidly jealous and doesn’t complain about his crazy hours. All she asks from him is honesty in their relationship, and made the sensible decision not to accept his marriage proposal until she felt that he was being straight with her. Not to mention that she saved Nick’s life when the ogre was attacking him.

• J says:

Juliet was boring last season mostly because they were stalling the reveal of Nick’s life to her. Hopefully, with the confession and this weird dream stuff, her character will have a more interesting arc to go on this year.

Please oh please DON’T let her forget his confession.

• They did nothing with her, other than have her call Nick and ask him what he wanted for dinner. Not that I want to see Nick angsting over losing ~the love of his life~, but I’d rather her not be there if all they’re going to have her do is stand around in the kitchen. My personal canon is that she’s some sort of Wesen, and Nick hasn’t figured it out yet, but that’s never going to happen I’m sure. After Supernatural, I’ve lost faith in writers being able to give female characters anything to do other than cater to their man (and then get killed off).

• which is funny cause i think they went towards a helpless female but noone who is an adult likes someone that can’t do anything.. the woman needs to pick up a gun and actually do something with it!!!

• Dava says:

Season 2 – I think they don’t want us to like Juliet toward the end of season 2. I think they should get rid of her and have Nick start to date.

2. Martina says:

Season 2 sounds great, I’d agree I loved the Hitler episode and would like to see more of the past creatures in the show

• Dana says:

The Hitler episode called “Three Coins of the Fuschbau,” is my favorite! I liked how Nick handled the whole coin situation. He never fully trusted Colt and owned the guy at the end. I also look forward to learning more of the past creatures, too. :)

3. bobbie says:

Monroe is my favorite character. I really do wish they’d spend time on him and his story.

• Dana says:

I hope his backstory is not about how he used to eat/kill people. I don’t think I’d want to revisit that past. It’s no wonder that Nick has never asked Monroe about it. He’s probably already imagined what horrible things his friend might have done. I wouldn’t ask either, lol.

• Christy says:

Yes Monroe is my favorite also but I love all of the characters. Juliet is awesome I don’t understand why anyone would think any less of her. I absolutely love this show!

4. Jennifer says:

Juliet was a moron last season. I was really hoping it was an act and she knew something but it doesn’t look that way. I like the actress but, come on already, buy a vowel and get a clue Juliet! It’s worse then watching Clark Kent trying to hide the fact that he’s Superman from Lois Lane.

5. kc says:

I wanted to hear Russell Hornsby talk. What’s up with that?

6. Lin says:

So, everyone had something to say but Hank? What’s up with that? Does he learn Nick is a Grimm? Inquiring minds…

7. Dan says:

Juliet got more and more adventurous and starting to be a bit detective too. I didn’t like her at first but she has grown on me. Hank is awesome, a hero in the making I think. Maybe a team partner for Nick in the future. As for Nicks mother, well it was interesting but a highly unfathomable ending to a series. Maybe we will get a good understanding in the future. Now lets talk Captain! What is he? Does he ever wesen? Who does he work for? Why was the great reaper terrified of him, as was adaline and her mother? Yet Akira disposed of him quick enough… What is he?

8. This is one of my favorite casts! I really love this show.

9. Susan says:

Is Adalind back on season 2 or what ? I like her though she is evil and all. I want to see more Renard/Adalind scenes. Also I like Nick/Adalind scenes too. Please bring back Claire Coffee. My fav episdoes of last season were Island of dreams, Lovesick.

10. Lacey says:

I always feel bad for Hank. Good lord it ends with him wigging out in a room alone with a shotgun… The guy needs a break! :p I’m really hoping they bring him & Juliette both into the Grimm/Wesen loop though. I think it’ll help the over all story arc & maybe bring some twists by having “normal” people in the Wesen world.

• Stephen says:

Lacey, I agree — poor Hank was traumatized last season. At this point the only thing that could help him is for Nick to come clean about the Wesen world (although hopefully with a little less craziness than he showed when telling Juliet). Also looking for more character growth for Captain Renard and snarky Sgt. Wu. As much as I love Nick and Monroe, the secondary cast on this show is excellent too!

11. Cannot wait for s2, it’s gonna ROCK! but I’m curious how they will explain Bree Turner’s big preggo belly! Did Rosalee and Monroe make a little furry Wessen-baby when no-one was watching? lol

12. Juliet being a veterinarian could come in handy for NIck. I think they need to keep her “in the know” and have her knowledge play into the show.

13. Sheldon W. says:

Wow! There was more actual info in these 4:20 than in six and seven minutes-plus in pretty much any other Comic-Con interview.

The Grimm cast rocks!

14. em says:

So much spoilerish stuff in this interview. Love that there’s gonna be more mythology and now I’m wondering what the big reveal about the captain is. Seems like a really interesting season 2!

15. JimC says:

My favorite of the new shows from last year. The introduction of Nick’s Mom is kinda what I’ve been waiting for….I’m sure Nick has more powers as a Grimm, he just needs someone to show him what he’s capable of.