Comic-Con

Walking Dead's Sarah Wayne Callies on Lori-Rick Fight 'Fallout,' How She'd Face Her TV Death

Walking Dead Season 3 PreviewSarah Wayne Callies wants to clear something up for those Walking Dead fans still upset with Lori’s anger toward Rick after he killed Shane in the show’s Season 2 finale.

“I don’t think her reaction had to do with the fact that [Rick] killed Shane,” says Callies, dropping by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite. “The right man, I think in her mind, did walk out of that fight.” In fact, Callies offers, Lori’s horror had more to do with the fear that Rick might be turning into someone very similar to the former buddy he’d just slain.

RELATED | Walking Dead Boss Promises More Airtime For [Spoiler]

Callies previews the “fallout” of the Lori-Rick confrontation that’s coming in The Walking Dead‘s Season 3 (premiering Oct. 14), chuckles about YouTube videos devoted to her character calling out for her son Carl, and even speculates how she’d handle it if the show’s producers ever decided it was time for her character to leave this mortal coil.

VIDEO | Watch the First Walking Dead Season 3 Trailer!

Press play below for even more Season 3 teases, plus Callies’ wish for what Lori would’ve said to her husband during last season’s finale.

Comments (39)

• She’s a BEAUTIFUL woman. I’m not a fan of her character Laurie though.

Comment by Rashad – July 14, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care about Lori & Rick’s problems as long as Carol & Daryl are still together. I do agree with her the right man walked away from that fight though.

Comment by Stranger – July 14, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i love you lol Carol/Daryl FOREVER

Comment by BabyJo – August 20, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ? Carol and Daryl were never “together”…

Comment by Chad – August 20, 2012 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not yet but they’ve hinted at it for season 3. I’m not a fan of the combo at all for multiple reasons the least of which is that their names rhyme. Sorry I’m a bit OCD :-D.

Comment by Aster Polyphyllum – August 20, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I never thought Carol & Daryl were together either… Am I missing something?! I can’t wait for the new season!!! I’m dying to see it !!!! Lol

Comment by Nola – August 20, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Sarah Wayne Callies, she’s awesome!

Comment by patty – July 14, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “We shoot little girls in the face.” LOL, I love her. Lori may get on my nerves, but Sarah is charming. (:

Comment by Casey – July 14, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big fan of Callies since she was on Prison Break. I like her character on Dead and I hope she gets more likeable in season 3, just because Sarah deserves some love from the fans.

Comment by Mik – July 14, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the actress but her character is one of my top wishes for characters that need to go!

Comment by tvaddict – July 14, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, she is incredibly articulate. Clearly a very smart lady.

Comment by wordsmith – July 14, 2012 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree. She has this depth has clearly evident in the way she explains her character, or how events played out for Lori and Rick. But I will also agree with other comments about the writing, and how Lori can become a better character. That being said, living in that sort of world will surely bring out the worst in a person, and Sarah Wayne Callies is doing an amazing job (given the weak writing at times) taking us through Lori’s world – there’s been buzz for an Emmy for her, and you really don’t have to be a fan favorite to show good acting.

Comment by Autumnviola – July 16, 2012 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, I love Ausiello on TVLine, but he’s not a good interviewer… This year’s Comic Con interviews have been awkward and frankly quite boring

Comment by Joan – July 14, 2012 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, guess who just called me? It was Ausiello. He says you’re boring.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 20, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, Of course she’s dying! *Spoiler* She dies in the prison in the comics, after all! Perhaps they’ll keep her alive longer like they did with Shane, though….

Comment by Spencer – July 14, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it really necessary to spoil people that don’t want to know that?

Comment by AJ – July 14, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They haven’t been following the graphic novels to the letter though. If they had…we wouldn’t have Daryl. (Who happens to be my favorite character. haha)

Comment by iamheatherjo – August 20, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sigh. Just because you write Spoiler before you say something doesn’t mean people aren’t going to see it. Especially with these kinds of comments, people tend to skim them quickly, the mind doesn’t have time to process the word spoiler in the split second before it’s already reading the next sentence. The next time you want to say something is going to happen in the comic before it has a chance to air on the show, just don’t say it, please. Have some consideration and keep it to yourself.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – August 20, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s so beautiful and a great actress, I just wish the Walking Dead characters knew how to write female characters. Either they’re super badass or weak willed women who turn into Lady MacBeth on the turn of a dime. She’s so wasted in her role. There isn’t a writing staff on television that needs a female writer as bad as this show does(in fact I think it’s one of the few shows on tv that has NO female writers)

Comment by Josh – July 14, 2012 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her on “Prison Break”.

Comment by Sean C. – July 14, 2012 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone link to one of the Lori calling after Carl parody videos? I can’t find any.

Comment by Sam – July 14, 2012 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooo hot. :)

Comment by AJ – July 14, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Sarah, back from Prison Break, cant stand the character on The Walking Dead, it saddens me how the magic from the comics isnt in the show and is replaced by drama for dramas sake and stagnating plots etc………………………………………………………………………………..
    I have felt since the pilot that a fundamental part of her character was wrong from the beginning, opening on her having sex with Shane like they did. It put a horrible taste in everyone’s mouth from the get-go in regards to her character, compare that to the comics, where they had sex ONCE (unlike the show where implied they are a couple, having sex multiple times as a couple). Not only did they have sex ONCE in the comics, but she only did it cause the city was being napalmed in-front of her eyes and she broke down and felt like the world was ending…she was watching the government not saving people and there be a hope, but mass murder/zombie cleansing. And right after they “finished” she instantly regretted it, and said it was wrong and it cant happen again. ………………………………………………………..
    That is such a HUGE difference in regards to how you see the character Lori, and a defining moment in both her life, and her families because the result of crossing that line in both the show and comics, is the death of Shane (in the comics, the son being the one who kills him, in the show the son having to shoot a zombie version of Shane)……………………………………………………………………Considering how the character is on the show, i hope they stick with the comics and SPOILER: kill her in the prison………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………What suprises me is how on the show, she looks SO thin, like unattractive almost sickly thin in her baggy dirty clothes. Yet on here in that gorgeous dress (and in different venues when on a red carpet or w/e) she looks gorgeous, and super sexy, and for a tall woman that probably runs for exercise a LOT, curvy. It must be just the illusion because shes skinny/super toned but in baggy clothes, she looks way skinnier than she is on the show.

Comment by M3rc Nate – July 14, 2012 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So many douchebags that can’t keep spoilers out of the comments….. I’ve read the comments and am able to keep myself from doing that. Sure they may veer off from the comics on this plot point, but I kinda doubt it. That is just one of the events that really takes Rick off the rails in the comic.

Comment by AJ – July 14, 2012 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the actress, but I’m not a fan of Lori “Where’s Carl” Grimes.

Comment by Mikael – July 16, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO SPOILERS ok dummies Dale would be alive till season 5 or 6 and Sophia would be alive until the show is canceled, obviously you TROLLS KNOW the plot line of the comic, and you also know it is very different from the Show, you just want to ruin it for someone else. Its cool though there is no law against being a Troll

Comment by Justin – August 13, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If anyone knew the comics they would know that there will be more than one season of the prison. Book 1 was its own season, and book 2 was its own season. There is like 4 books of the prison. Lori doesn’t die until they are leaving so even if they did follow the comics, which they won’t (that’s what makes the show even better for readers) she most likely will not die in season 3

Comment by Brent – August 13, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t worry FANS. She will go! It is just a matter of time…

Comment by EK-Envy – August 20, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think also partly has to do with Carl. She didnt start REALLY freaking out till he said Carl shot Shane after he zombied out. She may be fearing for Carl getting “cold”.

Comment by Amey Lee Markert – August 20, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kill that manipulator off the show!! GO RICK!! why isnt carl ever in the house when e is told to get in the house??

Comment by Jack Moran – August 20, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i wanna see Lori as zombie !!!

Comment by jc – August 20, 2012 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she looks smoking hot off set

Comment by Matt – August 20, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever… Not a fan of lori or rick. As long as daryl is still in the show I’m perfectly fine with it! daryl is the best character! I can’t wait! I’m so excited!!

Comment by Adri – August 20, 2012 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the book and the show, Yes Lori gets on my nerves but I think the show would be better if they killed Carl off.. He causes too many prob. and puts too many of the group at risk.. He needs to be served up on a silver platter to the Zombies..

Comment by phil z – August 20, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whena woman is in love with 2 men in 2 different ways, she would grieve et being mad about how she turned 1 againts the outher.she would fell guilt againts the surviver et take it out on him.

Comment by b weber – August 20, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she doesn’t know when her character will dies, read the comics :) if they change that then i will be pissed!

Comment by jorge S – August 20, 2012 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why don’t you like Lori? I like Lori. Am I the only one that like Lori? I feel alone in this world.

Comment by Julie Sollie – August 20, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not my kind of show, but my son talked me into watching it & made a fan out of me, I am looking forward to seeing more seasons! The characters & actors/actresses playing the different roles are great! Who really cares if it goes differently than the comics? That just gives each it’s own direction. Keep up the great work

Comment by Sherry Theroux – August 20, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post