Comic-Con

True Blood's Alan Ball Talks Finale Carnage, the Sookie-Eric-Bill Triangle: 'Some People Change'

If True Blood itself were a vampire, Alan Ball would be its all-knowing sire. And when I spoke to the series’ creator (who’s stepping down as showrunner) at Comic-Con, he said that bidding good-bye to his fangy family was tough.

Not so tough, though, that he slimmed down the number of casualties in the Season 5 finale.

RELATEDTrue Blood Challenge: Kristin Bauer’s Spoiler Riddle -Can You Solve It?

“There’s a big body count” in the episode he penned, he said, echoing what Deborah Ann Woll told me yesterday. “Probably more than any episode we’ve ever had.”

Press play on the video below to watch Ball spill about his favorite characters to write for (see if you can guess them before he says them) and something unexpected concerning Reverend Newlin and Jason. Also, how do you interpret what he says about Sookie, Eric and Bill — especially the part about “Some people change big”?

Comments (27)

• this made me cry. i love that man so much!

Comment by ashley – July 14, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Some people change big.”

Bill!

Comment by Larry FP – July 14, 2012 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fingers crossed!! He is soooo much more interesting too me with any other character than Sookie. Bill’s scene with Salome was so hot!

Comment by KK – July 14, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nah! Sookie. Alan basically said one of the three would no longer put up with others controlling his/her life, and I think it will be Sookie, especially with her evolving powers and her growing involvement with the faery world and what she learned about vampires killing her parents.

Comment by Kayla – July 17, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alcide is still viable!!!

Comment by Stranger – July 14, 2012 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You FREAKIN’ RUINS TRUE BLOOD!!!!! THANKS ALL GAY AL BALL!!! PUTTING SOOKIE W/ SICKO BILLY BOY AFTER I SAW THAT PREVIEW!!! YOU RUINS FOR ERIC/SOOKIE & BOOK FANS!!! YOU RUINS OUR SHOWS!!! EVERYBODY SEND YOU DEATH THEADS & COMPLAINS!!!! BECAUSE YOU RUINS OUR SHOWS!!!!

Comment by Shelli – July 14, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Get a life.

Comment by Paige – July 14, 2012 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh Yeah I can say whatever I want,it’s a free country.

Comment by Shelli – July 14, 2012 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • no you can’t. someone, somewhere, is watching, listening, and judging. and talking about how stupid you sound, how you can’t control a sentence, and how you have numerous freedoms in your life which you probably don’t deserve.

Comment by Toulouse – July 14, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Someone needs to see a mental health professional in a hurry! You have some problems I can tell you! First of, since when is the series anything like the books? Second making and asking for death threats is not covered by this being a ‘free country’, and third, you really need to learn to spell!

Comment by Rudy – July 15, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Idiot!

Comment by Jessica – July 17, 2012 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What exactly are “DEATH THEADS & COMPLAINS?” You state in a later post that this is a free country and you can say whatever, that is not exactly true though. If indeed you are trying to incite people to send death threats, then maybe you need to know that in doing so you could incure a prison sentence or hefty fine for doing so.

Comment by JMC – July 15, 2012 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly will not watch season 6 if they put Sookie and bill back together. That scene with him biting her looked non-con to me. And I’m hoping that it’s a nightmare/dream.

I dont see how Sookie could go back to a guy that had psychos beat her nearly to death. That’s akin to a battered and abused woman going back to the abuser… Sorry Bill fans, but he doesn’t deserve Sookie

Comment by Waitingsux – July 15, 2012 05:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yadda Yadda Yadda. Ball already said from the start that Sookie and Bill are meant for each other. Battered women syndrom… ok… I guess you are a big Eric and Sookie fan…

Comment by Rudy – July 15, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • she doesn’t have to be an eric/sookie fan to not want her back with bill. i’m an eric/sookie fan, so of course i wanna see them together, but i understand what the op is saying. how can you trust someone who played you from the beginning of your relationship and had you beaten up just so you could drink their blood. that’s why i prefer her with eric. he never claimed or tried to be a good person who was sneaky. all i see bill as is a fake and a liar, why would anyone want that kind of person for themselves?

Comment by Rae – July 15, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Personally, I like Sookie with Alcide, because unlike the vampires Alcide just wants to love and protect her instead of manipulate her or use her for her powers. But why is everyone acting like Sookie will get back with Bill? Alan didn’t say that (certainly not in this video). He just said either Sookie, Bill, or Eric will “change big,” and I think he was referring to Sookie.

Comment by Kayla – July 17, 2012 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Trust me when I say, Eric fans are the true psychos!

Comment by Jessica – July 17, 2012 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We are not psychoes. we have own opioions.

Comment by Shelli – July 19, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Shelli, you make your self look very stupid with your lack of decent spelling and grammar. Spell check is free and easy, as well as your right to use it..

Comment by holly – August 22, 2012 11:51 AM PDT
        • Said a fan of a traitor piece of sh*t.

Comment by Syrah – August 10, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • god I hope Pam hooks up with Tara

Comment by ddutchie88 – July 15, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They kinda are, not all maker/progeny relationships are parental and they are both bisexual. I did pick some sort of sexual tesion there

Comment by B. – July 15, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Alan Ball! Gonna miss him on the show. Though, after watching this, I’m really, really exited for the rest of the season, though I can’t really see who all these new hook-ups will be: maybe Tara and Jason (though I live for Jessica and Jason on the show)

Comment by Karen – July 15, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m an Eric/Sookie fan, but why can’t she be by herself for a season. Really she is really a slut. Hasn’t it only been a little over a year since season 1. She sleeps with the men she dates very fast.

Comment by Rae – July 15, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Steve Newlin and Russell have to hook up right? That’s gotta be the relationship Alan loves to write for, and the one that gets Steve away from Jason.

Comment by gocanes22 – July 15, 2012 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking. They would make an epic evil duo!

Comment by Kayla – July 17, 2012 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think bill is gonna do somethn crazy in the finale. After hearing the interview w/A Ball I think bill is the 1 to “change big” and theres nothing jess eric or sook can do to stop him. as far as bodies im thinkn russell, a handful of those faries, maxine fortenberry, hollie, luna, salome, nora, redhead cougar frm the authority I dont see any other regulars gettin killed but I could be wrong. also think lilith is a hallolucination and bill drank all of the blood maybe replaced his in the valve that salome drank from. also loved russel he was thee best villian ever I hope he walks during the day and does another news interview before he is killed off lol

Comment by nicole – August 23, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post