Comic-Con

True Blood's Alan Ball Talks Finale Carnage, the Sookie-Eric-Bill Triangle: 'Some People Change'

If True Blood itself were a vampire, Alan Ball would be its all-knowing sire. And when I spoke to the series’ creator (who’s stepping down as showrunner) at Comic-Con, he said that bidding good-bye to his fangy family was tough.

Not so tough, though, that he slimmed down the number of casualties in the Season 5 finale.

RELATEDTrue Blood Challenge: Kristin Bauer’s Spoiler Riddle -Can You Solve It?

“There’s a big body count” in the episode he penned, he said, echoing what Deborah Ann Woll told me yesterday. “Probably more than any episode we’ve ever had.”

Press play on the video below to watch Ball spill about his favorite characters to write for (see if you can guess them before he says them) and something unexpected concerning Reverend Newlin and Jason. Also, how do you interpret what he says about Sookie, Eric and Bill — especially the part about “Some people change big”?

1. ashley says:

this made me cry. i love that man so much!

2. Larry FP says:

“Some people change big.”

Bill!

• KK says:

Fingers crossed!! He is soooo much more interesting too me with any other character than Sookie. Bill’s scene with Salome was so hot!

• Kayla says:

Nah! Sookie. Alan basically said one of the three would no longer put up with others controlling his/her life, and I think it will be Sookie, especially with her evolving powers and her growing involvement with the faery world and what she learned about vampires killing her parents.

3. Stranger says:

Alcide is still viable!!!

4. Shelli says:

You FREAKIN’ RUINS TRUE BLOOD!!!!! THANKS ALL GAY AL BALL!!! PUTTING SOOKIE W/ SICKO BILLY BOY AFTER I SAW THAT PREVIEW!!! YOU RUINS FOR ERIC/SOOKIE & BOOK FANS!!! YOU RUINS OUR SHOWS!!! EVERYBODY SEND YOU DEATH THEADS & COMPLAINS!!!! BECAUSE YOU RUINS OUR SHOWS!!!!

• Paige says:

Get a life.

• Shelli says:

oh Yeah I can say whatever I want,it’s a free country.

• Toulouse says:

no you can’t. someone, somewhere, is watching, listening, and judging. and talking about how stupid you sound, how you can’t control a sentence, and how you have numerous freedoms in your life which you probably don’t deserve.

• Rudy says:

Someone needs to see a mental health professional in a hurry! You have some problems I can tell you! First of, since when is the series anything like the books? Second making and asking for death threats is not covered by this being a ‘free country’, and third, you really need to learn to spell!

• Jessica says:

Idiot!

• JMC says:

What exactly are “DEATH THEADS & COMPLAINS?” You state in a later post that this is a free country and you can say whatever, that is not exactly true though. If indeed you are trying to incite people to send death threats, then maybe you need to know that in doing so you could incure a prison sentence or hefty fine for doing so.

5. Waitingsux says:

I honestly will not watch season 6 if they put Sookie and bill back together. That scene with him biting her looked non-con to me. And I’m hoping that it’s a nightmare/dream.

I dont see how Sookie could go back to a guy that had psychos beat her nearly to death. That’s akin to a battered and abused woman going back to the abuser… Sorry Bill fans, but he doesn’t deserve Sookie

• Rudy says:

Yadda Yadda Yadda. Ball already said from the start that Sookie and Bill are meant for each other. Battered women syndrom… ok… I guess you are a big Eric and Sookie fan…

• Rae says:

she doesn’t have to be an eric/sookie fan to not want her back with bill. i’m an eric/sookie fan, so of course i wanna see them together, but i understand what the op is saying. how can you trust someone who played you from the beginning of your relationship and had you beaten up just so you could drink their blood. that’s why i prefer her with eric. he never claimed or tried to be a good person who was sneaky. all i see bill as is a fake and a liar, why would anyone want that kind of person for themselves?

• Kayla says:

Personally, I like Sookie with Alcide, because unlike the vampires Alcide just wants to love and protect her instead of manipulate her or use her for her powers. But why is everyone acting like Sookie will get back with Bill? Alan didn’t say that (certainly not in this video). He just said either Sookie, Bill, or Eric will “change big,” and I think he was referring to Sookie.

• Jessica says:

Trust me when I say, Eric fans are the true psychos!

6. ddutchie88 says:

god I hope Pam hooks up with Tara

• B. says:

They kinda are, not all maker/progeny relationships are parental and they are both bisexual. I did pick some sort of sexual tesion there

7. Karen says:

I LOVE Alan Ball! Gonna miss him on the show. Though, after watching this, I’m really, really exited for the rest of the season, though I can’t really see who all these new hook-ups will be: maybe Tara and Jason (though I live for Jessica and Jason on the show)

8. Rae says:

I’m an Eric/Sookie fan, but why can’t she be by herself for a season. Really she is really a slut. Hasn’t it only been a little over a year since season 1. She sleeps with the men she dates very fast.

9. gocanes22 says:

So Steve Newlin and Russell have to hook up right? That’s gotta be the relationship Alan loves to write for, and the one that gets Steve away from Jason.

10. nicole says:

I think bill is gonna do somethn crazy in the finale. After hearing the interview w/A Ball I think bill is the 1 to “change big” and theres nothing jess eric or sook can do to stop him. as far as bodies im thinkn russell, a handful of those faries, maxine fortenberry, hollie, luna, salome, nora, redhead cougar frm the authority I dont see any other regulars gettin killed but I could be wrong. also think lilith is a hallolucination and bill drank all of the blood maybe replaced his in the valve that salome drank from. also loved russel he was thee best villian ever I hope he walks during the day and does another news interview before he is killed off lol