Comic-Con

The Community Crew (Mae West Included!) Talks Season 4's Big Change, Stunt-Casts Jeff's Dad

When a quorum of Community cast members stopped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite, the first order of business was to address the “elephant in the room” – that is, the big change the beloved NBC comedy must deal with going into Season 4.

Though Joel McHale, Yvette Nicole Brown, Alison Brie and Gillian Jacobs at first tried to dance around the issue, McHale finally stepped forth to confirm it: “They’re going to bring more color into Gillian’s costumes.”

RELATED | Community @ Comic-Con: New Bosses Promise They ‘Won’t Screw It Up!’

But seriously… the cast showed themselves to be excited about new showrunners Moses Port and David Guarascio, whom they just recently had formally met for the first time. “They are great guys and very funny,” said McHale, who worked on a pilot with the duo a few years back.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy Enrolls Community’s Joel McHale to Play a [Spoiler]!

Also in this video: Mae West (or a facsimile thereof) makes the occasional cameo as the quad stunt-cast Jeff’s to-be-introduced dad (sometimes with an actual stuntman), tease “confrontation and tension” for the Greendale 7 and tout Chevy Chase for an Emmy. And hey, what’s Joel doing to our nice pillow?!

Loading video...

1. I love this cast. I hope Community gets a Emmy nomination. PopPopComicCon SixSeasonsAndAMovie

2. Stunt cast it with a stuntman? Lee Majors.

3. Larry FP says:

To be fair, according to the leaked manifesto, the cast and crew HAVE to say they’re looking forward to working with the new showrunners.

• Lauren says:

Snore.

• Oliver says:

What are Sony going to do? Fire half the cast? Brie and McHale have both been fairly candid on the topic (they wish Harmon wasn’t fired, they don’t really know what will happen going forward). Brown is always optimistic and Jacobs is just always adorably awkward, so their responses have been consistent too.

I suspect they’re choosing to be positive because they hope it’s good, they really love their jobs, and it’s the professional thing to do. They haven’t seen a script yet and they’ve barely talked to the new show-runners (barring McHale on the pilot), so they know about as much as we do.

• Angela says:

Well, yeah, it doesn’t help your show if you go around saying, “Yeah, these changes totally suck and we hate what’s happening.”-of course people will put out good comments. But I also think they aren’t just saying that stuff just because, I think their feelings are genuine. Joel knows them from past experience as well, so it’s not like he’s just being nice for the sake of it.

Anywho, my god, what a goofy, bubbly, funny bunch. They’re right, too, about the fans-I’ll certainly be tuning in on Fridays. Whatever helps. Good luck with the new showrunners, I hope things turn out well for everyone.

And Emmy nominations are next week? Ooh. Fingers crossed for these guys.

4. M says:

This cast is so perfect!

5. Okay, I think I’m about to develop nystagmus because I can’t pick – who do I look at? Gillian! Alison! Gillian! Alison! Alison! Gillian!

My eyeballs are going crazy. >.<

6. Cameron says:

I know the best candidate to play William Winger: Michael Keaton

7. Dale says:

I laughed so hard at Joel’s cheeky grin into the camera as he pretend-vandalized the pillow.

8. Lee says:

So adorable this cast!!! Haha Mae West, I love you Ausiello for always asking about Jeff and Annie. I know I can count on you.

• Lisa says:

I know!!! I love that he ALWAYS asks about Jeff and Annie!!! :)
      I wish they were serious about that part though :'(
      Troy/Britta shippers are new, most of us Jeff/Annie shippers have been wanting them together since season 1

• Luz says:

I wish they were serious about it too, but as they said at the beggining of the video, they just met the new showrunners so they don’t know much about the new season. Hopefully their jokes will be real.

• lana says:

I love them both and their characters, and the show. but I honestly hate Jeff/Annie as a couple like… a lot, I hope it never happens. (but it probably will)

• Ashley says:

I’m with you. They’ve done too much with the Jeff/Annie thing to just let it go, and they just work together.

I find it funny that some people get up in arms about the 13 year age diff. between Jeff/Annie, but I’ve never heard anyone protest when it comes to Troy/Britta, who have a 10 year, or close to it, age difference. Double standard anyone?

Annie is going on 22. Time to give up the age difference crap.

9. Raksha says:

Oh, this show.

10. Ck says:

Wish I could see it, but this video file won’t play on an iPad. :-(

11. kk says:

So Jeff and Annie are gonna have sex or what?