Rep Confirms: Jennifer Lopez Is Done With Idol -- 'We Had an Amazing Run,' Says J.Lo

Jennifer Lopez Quits American IdolThe day after she dropped new hints that she won’t be returning as an American Idol judge, Jennifer Lopez added more fuel to the fire — yet again conspicuously stopped short of saying, “I’m Audi!” — during a call-in to Idol host Ryan Seacrest’s radio show. Lopez’s representative, however, has since cleared the air, telling the Associated Press that his client is in fact done with the reality series. (A Fox spokesperson did not immediately respond to our request for confirmation.)

RELATED | Whoa, Dawg! Is Randy Jackson Leaving American Idol, Too?

Asked to follow-up on the comments she made during her Thursday visit to NBC’s Today – which preceded Steven Tyler’s official announcement that he himself is done with Idol —  J.Lo recounted on Seacrest’s radio show her other passions and projects, including of course music, motherhood and (theoretically) more movies, then said, “It started feeling like a lot, and something has to give. And that’s, I think, where I am right now.”

Lopez, however, measured her words carefully, likely because negotiations with the Fox hit were still ongoing and she was reportedly holding out for a big ask. (As one insider told our sister site Deadline, “They’re not inviting her back so quickly not because they’re unhappy with her, but because she wants a lot of f–king money. A lot.”)

Lopez explained to Seacrest, “I really have been torn, since… even before the [Season 11] finale. When I signed onto Idol, I signed to do one year. I wound up doing two because I just fell so in love with the show, everybody there…. It was such a lovely surprise in my life to do it. But even last year when I had to make the decision [to re-sign] it was super-tough.”

RELATED | Adam Lambert as American Idol Judge? Four Reasons He’d Be a Great Addition

When Seacrest pushed for a final answer on her Idol future, Lopez again hedged, saying, “I honestly feel like the time has come, that I have to get back to doing the other things I have put on hold because I love Idol so much. I could keep doing Idol for the rest of my life, but that would be giving up a bunch of other things. I just feel like we had an amazing run.”

Lopez is leaving the door open for an Idol encore in other capacities, as a mentor or guest performer. “No matter what you guys need over there, I’m always going to be here,” she avowed. “I just don’t know if I can be there every single day all the time, as we have the past two years.”

You can listen to J.Lo’s complete call-in below:

1. John says:

Please God let Randy be next. Let’s make season 12 (season 1, 2!) a clean slate.

• Just can’t see them doing that. If they brought Randy back when Abdul and then Cowell left I can’t see them doing it now that Tyler and Lopez have left. I think they have to do something pretty big. With Britney Spears and Demi Lovato on X Factor and Christina Aguliera, Adam Levine, and C.Lo on The Voice they need big names to come in. Not sure who would be suitable, who could be not only a presence but also a critical and helpful judge. It’s gonna be a tough one. I’m definitely curious who will replace both Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez.

• Templar says:

Jon Bon Jovi would be an excellent choice. He’s still got one of the top 10 grossing tours, 30 years of experience as a singer/songwriter/performer, 100 million+ albums sold and almost universal appeal. He’s worth 10/15 million as a judge.

• Sally in Chicago says:

You guys don’t realize what a toll it is and how it messes with one’s schedule. Why would Bon Jovi want to do Idol for 4 months and not tour and make records? Steven Tyler & Jlo had to fit Idol into their schedule and work around it. And celebrities don’t necessarily want to do that.

• Templar says:

Bon Jovi won’t be on tour when Idol airs. And if Jon can pick up an extra 15 mil in his off time, why not. He gives a fortune away, building houses for Habitat For Humanity, operating a food pantry etc. He’s the perfect candidate.

• Sally in Chicago says:

You’re going to regret these people leaving because it’s hard to get a team together that has chemistry, and these three had chemistry. If I was betting I would say Randy will leave because he doesn’t want to start over with a new crew.
      I liked Jennifer, I thought she brought class and glamor to the set. But she’s made a ton of money so she can leave now. Too bad.

• mrOCD says:

First of all, what chemistry?

Secondly, who the heck cares about chemistry when none of them were able to put forth intelligent, articulate critiques?

2. PutAforkINit says:

put a fork in it

3. PutAforkINit says:

waffle much? ridic

4. Captain Obvious says:

B***h please! She wants more money.

5. Mark says:

Kristen Chenoweth as the new judge please!

6. annehedonia says:

No doubt there’s more to Idol judging than I can appreciate, but I say CLEAN SWEEP!

7. Zach says:

Oh Sweet Baby…

8. Lauren says:

Get Peggi Blu on the panel!

9. mercedes says:

These last 2 seasons she made Idol unbearable to watch. Instead of giving her more money, Idol should be asking for a refund from her.

• Terry says:

Hahaha, exactly! And I can’t believe they’re letting her drag this out yet again! Just fire her skank azz already and hire a judge that isn’t in it just for their own self promotion!!!

• Sally in Chicago says:

You b**tches would say that about Jesus and Mary. Never satisfied. If the judge is Simon, you’re unhappy, if the judge is Paula, you complain. It wouldn’t make a difference who was is the seat, the whining public wouldn’t be happy.

10. Ryan says:

Bring on Ben Folds!

11. Yeeeeah, riiiiight, she signed on for another year because “she fell in love with the show so much”. Because falling in love is a synonym for dollar signs.

12. gm465271 says:

Hmmm…other websites are reporting that she is officially a goner and that she confirmed it to Ryan Seacrest. Now I don’t know what to believe. However, I haven’t watched the show since Jordin Sparks won so it really doesn’t make a difference to me.

13. blingedup says:

If this is true……it gives me GOOSIES!

14. Guest says:

would love to see jimmy iovine, stevie nicks, brett michaels as judges

15. Sabrina says:

I really hope that Fox does not give in to J.Lo’s demands and just cancels the show or at least shelves the show for a few years. The quality of the winners has really gone down in recent years and there is really no need for so many singing competitions. I still have not heard any singles from the previous winners besides their winning song on the radio and I don’t expect much better from the current winner. Although, I could actually say the same thing about the winners of ‘The Voice’ and X-Factor as well. Perhaps it is finally time to say goodbye to these singing shows. I haven’t watched Idols in years and don’t watch the other singing competitions at all.

16. It’s interesting to me how two different people at two different websites can draw two different conclusions based on the same source of information. You say that she is hinting at her depature while TV Guide says that she is confirming her depature.

17. april-ann says:

I know this is unpopular, but I’d like to see Paula Abdul back. I liked her on there and never really watched it without her as it was just not the same. She seemed a good fit for it. And, unpopular again, but I’d like to see Gavin DeGraw as a judge. I know some would say he lacks credentials but hey, this is tv and he does have the charisma.

18. Lily says:

No offense, but TBH, I really don’t care who exits or enters. Between the judges and the producers, some of the “favorite” singers of all of them have not only been pimped, ad nauseum over the years, but continue to do so. It doesn’t matter whether every song you sing is off key, it doesn’t matter if you are an attention ho, if they want you they pimp. Thankfully this has backfired somewhat over the years. Nigel gets annoyed if you say the show is rigged. I have to roll my eyes at that. So whatever. I watch the show only because I enjoy everyone’s tweets. Otherwise…I could care less. I use to vote. Not anymore.

• FreeHaley says:

+1 (partly, the phony judging has gotten way worse the last couple years, especially the year before, it’s a mess, perhaps it’s just the judge’s being told what to say, perhaps they have just lost the plot, something needs to get fixed though)

19. oldrockchick says:

I’m sure this will be unpopular choices; but what about Adam Lambert, Kelly Clarkson, and Clay Aiken? A whole new take on “Idol gives back”? They have been through it, know what sounds good and what will work

• Chris says:

That sounds like the perfect panel to me! Adam’s already been in talks supposedly to be a judge, Kelly has judging experience and was the original Idol, and Clay is just awesome. Good thinking @oldrockchick :-D

20. blingedup says:

Kristin Chenoweth, Adam Lambert, and……….

21. Alex says:

Get rid of Randy Jackson too and maybe I’ll start watching again.

22. Joseph says:

i agree . they need to have someone that signs artists as a judge , thats Jimmy Iovine.
    As for Christine and Adam, the would make better mentors then judges.
    As for the other Judge slots they need to be Singers but it would be best if they are not pushing any of their own music during their stint. Also, I would like to see top recording artists and please only keep them on for no more then 2 years with an expanded panel of 5 with 2 singers coming in for 1 year stints and 2 for 2 year stints, that way every year you rotate in 2 new singer judges.
    Some of my wishes ,
    Michael Diamond – Beastie Boys
    Annie Lenox
    Jimmy Buffet
    Kenny Chesney
    Grace Jones
    The Judds
    Rand Travis
    Reba McEntire
    Joe Jackson

23. Tara says:

And the shuttle from the old folks home can bring them all to the studio in one vehicle. That’s a big savings in fossil fuel for these fossils.

24. JC says:

Kelly Clarkson should be a judge Duets will get cancelled so KC will be free I’m sure she can make time for AI :)

25. Hannah says:

she opens her mouth, but is Casper Smart’s voice the one you hear. What a great buisnesswoman! The program saved her career, but whatevs her loss is someone else’s gain (someone cheaper)

26. Name That Tune says:

The only thing I know, is I barely can stand to look at JLo’s face after her Idol run. Glad she’s hanging it up, and hope they choose someone who isn’t in it only for the self-promotion.

27. Sally Blue says:

Jon Bon Jovi probably doesn’t want to be part of this circus. Besides, there isn’t enough smelling salts in the world to revive all the 35 and over women who would pass out from that many solid hours of him on the screen.