Comic-Con

Castle's Molly C. Quinn Reacts to Dad's Hook-Up ('Eww!') and Lets Her Comic-Con Geek Flag Fly

Get More: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

Castle‘s Molly C. Quinn has one word to describe the long-awaited, season-ending hook-up between her TV dad and Detective Kate Beckett: “Eww!”

Stopping by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite, the 18-year-old actress elaborated on the awkward factor in watching Nathan Fillion — a dreamboat to legions but forever “Dad” to her Alexis — finally get some lovin’ with his OTL.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has Scoop on Two New Castle Power Players

Quinn also shares her hopes for Alexis’ life as a Columbia University freshman (hmm, is inappropriate romance ahead?) and then geeks out over on the “above and beyond” costumes she has on tap for this weekend’s Comic-Con.

Comments (45)

• Alexis and grandma are really boring. They need to let them go, they’re just fillers in the script and they’re not even funny.
    OR the writers could do something better with them in order to keep them. I really hate their scenes…

Comment by yippity – July 13, 2012 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think in the past they’ve been like Castle’s conscience – a way for him to voice his thoughts/feelings on what’s going on, as a narrative for the viewer; but I also hope that they fade out Martha but beef up Alexis’ storylines for season 5. Think there could be some almost ‘Veronica Mars’ potential for Alexis to try and solve a case at college… but certainly a romance to put daddy Castle’s nose out of joint! :) x

Comment by Bear_75 – July 13, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really?!? Wow, I love them. I love Castle’s relationship and interaction with both of them. I can’t wait to see how they react to Castle and Beckett being together.

Comment by Katherine215 – July 13, 2012 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me, too. I keep hoping Molly turns up in an episode of Once Upon a Time. She is like a princess and a fairy, and would be great in a one time appearance.

Comment by Templar – July 13, 2012 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree to disagree. I think they’re an integral part of the show and provide a much needed change of pace from the sleuthing portions of the show. They also provide valuable insight into his character.

Comment by DL – July 13, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Pretty obvious to me this commenter is one of those contrarians just to be contrary, internet is full of them. “Look at me, I am rebellious!” Alexis/Martha take up maybe 15 minutes over a whole season, no harm really.

Comment by Lauren – July 13, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • More of a to much hardcore Caskett Fans (fandom full of that). Molly says that Alexis would eventually have some issues with Beckett being Castle’s Girlfriend. Fans doesn’t like characters that isn’t 100% supportive to the relationship so this characters have to leave.
        IMO, I don’t understand, how, in her point of view, Alexis can be 100% supportive to the woman who hurt her daddy so much the previous year. (At least, for what she saw and knew). But hardcore shipper don’t care about a story that feels real, they only care about them being together. That’s often why I am a shipper myself but often can’t stand hardcore ones.

Comment by mco – July 13, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree completely. It really angered me when fans were abusive to Molly when she said that Alexis wouldn’t be supportive of the relationship at first. I am a shipper but I don’t want all sunshine and rainbows. They need to keep it realistic and Alexis taking issue with it is totally realistic. If Alexis was all for the relationship right away, it would be majorly out of character and hence bad writing.

Comment by Charley – July 14, 2012 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Without Alexis and Martha, Kate and Rick would NEVER get together. Those 2 ground Rick and SHOW Kate that they ground him. They are as vital to the show as Rick and Kate.

Comment by Charley – July 13, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU!!!! You are the only one that has said something that makes sense!!!!!!!

Comment by Lily – July 13, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alexis and Martha are as vital to the show as Rick and Kate. Those 2 are the driving force behind Rick have a “real” side to show to Kate. Without that, Rick and Kate would NEVER EVER even come close to a relationship.

Comment by Charley – July 13, 2012 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okaythey are NOT fillers! Without them so many questions would be unanswered. Who would Castle talk to about Beckett and who would keep him in line and help him overall? It would be stupid to cut them

Comment by Lily – July 13, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy their scenes a lot.

Comment by Jake – July 13, 2012 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always enjoy the Alexis and grandma scenes, and I knew my husband would love the show, if he ever gave it a chance, because of them. Sure enough, he became a fan last year and laughs through each of their scenes, while catching up through the reruns. It is enjoyable to have positive, loving father scenes on TV. We were heartbroken when they cancelled Terra Nova. We thought they had done an excellent job, with that show, also.

Comment by prish – July 13, 2012 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I think they are a great additions to the show! I love both Martha and Alexis! They bring out different sides to Castle. It’ll be interesting, as Molly said, to see the dynamics in relationships this season and how they grow and evolve with the events of last season. This is the first time I’ve seen Molly in an interview, and she seems really well-spoken and dynamic. What a terrific young actress. Best of luck to her and I’ll look forward to seeing her on this season of Castle!

Comment by tlc19 – July 13, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, that’s right! The show is called CASTLE, after all. We need to see his various dimensions.

Comment by prish – July 13, 2012 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the Castle/Alexis relationship and the realtionship Castle has with his mom. And I do think they both serve a very big purpose. In the beginning it showed Beckett that Castle was not just the playboy the media portrayed him to be- he had a deep love for his family, which in reality was his main priority. It’ll be fun to see how Alexis reacts to everything.

Comment by Andrea – July 13, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t watched Castle for two months (well, since the finale) – and suddenly Molly has bloomed! Holy heck!

Comment by Niko Batallones – July 13, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the dynamic that the at-home scenes bring to Castle. It’s what sets the show apart from others like it. And I think it’s great that Martha and Alexis are in almost every episode, rather than just every once in awhile; it’s more realistic this way.

Comment by Becks – July 13, 2012 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That girl is eighteen going on thirty. She’s so mature and poised, she makes me feel like a total schlump. But anyway, I love the father-daughter stuff on Castle. It reminds me of me and my dad, only way funnier. I love seeing that side of Castle, and I can’t WAIT for Alexis-Beckett scenes!

Comment by Ella – July 13, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Alexis and Martha! And Molly Quinn is always adorable in every interview she does. She seems like a genuinely lovely young woman and I look forward to following her career. I hope she finds lots of success.
    I ditto the possibility for a spin off of her own

Comment by mia – July 13, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree 100% with your post. She seems like such a nice young lady and I love the fact that she is a died-in-the-wool Comic-con nerd! I’ve always felt that she was a good actress and that her character adds a lot to the show. That relationship allows us to see that there is more to Castle than the witty playboy…that he has real heart. So glad they are keeping her on the show.

Comment by zaza – July 13, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Molly C. Quinn is a really fine actress who has a future in acting if she wants it. For as little screen time as she gets, she’s very memorable in the depth of emotions she has been given to protray. While Nathan Fillion and Susan Sullivan are both generous actors to share a scene with, to not get lost or completely overshadowed in that scene takes some chops. Even at the start Molly C. Quinn has been able to hold her own with them.

I also like the relationship between Stana’s character and Molly’s. The writers over the years have been able to give Beckett a kind of motherly/sisterly/best friend tone to it, and I’ve always really gotten the feeling from the writing that Beckett would be an awesome adult friend for a girl to have. She’ll always have your back, but tell you when you’re screwing up (and vice versa with Alexa).

Comment by beej – July 13, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You hit the nail on the head about how memorable Molly Quinn is considering the amount of screen time she gets. She might be a show stealer if they gave her more of an active role.

Comment by Butch – July 13, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love all the positive comments here about Castle & his family. Can’t imagine the show without them. I buy DVD’s for only 2 shows. This is one of them. :-)

Comment by Joy – July 13, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the father-daughter relationship between Castle and Alexis. Especially in the early seasons, before Castle fell in love with Beckett, having Martha and Alexis in his life kept him “grounded” and kept his character from becoming another self-centered, womanizing jerk. (One Tony DiNozzo on television is enough, thankyouverymuch!!)

Can’t wait for season 5. And since Castle is not my dad, I definitely WON’T be saying “ewww” to all the Rick-Kate love scenes!! (Stana Katic, you are one lucky lady!!)

Comment by Maria – July 13, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alexis is one of the few teenagers/kids that I like on TV. She doesn’t have the normal teen rebellion and doesn’t complain.

Comment by Ryan – July 13, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this girl. She’s so cute, and she has maybe the most gorgeous hair ever.

Comment by Sarah – July 13, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe Beckett and Alexis can have a ‘hair-off’ in season 5 :) x

Comment by Bear75 – July 13, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the Halloween scene from some years ago when Nathan comes out in his brown coat (from Fillion’s Serenity days) and get’s totally mocked by her. Something on the order of “there are NO cows in space!”. The two women provide a grounding vehicle for castle’s character as I see it.

Comment by John – July 13, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the scenes with the daughter and mother. They really shine.
    I want to see Molly’s steampunk outfits!!!!

Comment by Danielle H – July 13, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love Alexis. She’s just so sensible and well beyond her years in maturity. I absolutely crave for Rick’s family’s scene every single episode. They give us such a different insight into his life and his feelings for Kate. Looking forward to more family scenes in Season 5 cos Castle and Beckett would be nowhere without his family :D

Comment by Krithika – July 14, 2012 12:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here. And what I like even more is that it stands to reason that Kate will get to witness a lot of those scenes this year and we know how much she loves that side of him. I don’t think she’d be with him if it wasn’t for that side of him. I really don’t.

Comment by Charley – July 14, 2012 01:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she should get her own storyline, maybe getting a stalker (it happens to pretty girls that start college) who would put her life in danger (season 5 finale cliffhanger) and Rick would blame himself cause he was too busy with work and now his love life to notice something was wrong. I mean, by getting involved with the police and clashing with criminals he opened the door for someone to take revenge on his family and it amazes me that it hasn’t happened already (unless I missed something which is possible)

Comment by Hannah – July 14, 2012 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been saying for years that they need a story with Alexis in danger. But i originally said they should have that in an episode as a way to bring Rick and Kate closer together. I bet Kate would break every rule in the book to help Rick get Alexis back. Would have been a great scenario.

Comment by Charley – July 14, 2012 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • they could still have a scenario with Alexis in danger and it could be used to bring all of them closer together. like when Martha and Castle were being held hostage.

Comment by Deane Cheney – July 16, 2012 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Deane, you have the right idea. An every day event can become the scenario for drama where team Castle/Kate could come to Alexi’s rescue & enhance family unity. Were Rick’s involvement with NYPD be too detrimental to his family the series would become twisted, dark humor. Martha & Alexis have tilted the scale favoring a Kate/ Castle relationship, absolutely. As with all families there will be issues to deal with. It is to be noted that up to now everybody in the Castle family “has a life”, so their interactions have been healthy. On Alexis being a perfect child, prepare yourselves. In my experience the twenties are the new teens and the perfect teenager can become wild and rebellious in college. This should create wickedly funny situations…for a while; Alexis is pretty cool, kind & adorable :) As for her opinion on Dad & Kate making love, she expressed herself kindly. Most kids would just say: “GROSS!” :(
          :)Tonight is the night- Season 5- Sep. 24 – It will be great, yes it will , of course it will :) :) OMG :)

Comment by Ali, Sr. – September 24, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been a Molly Quinn fan from the first episode. She is far from the usual smart-mouthed, bratty TV teen, and she is one of the only people with whom Rick has been consistently “real” with.I would be horribly disappointed if they got rid of her and Martha.

Comment by MelindaB – July 15, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that Alexis and Martha keep Castle real. I think that Beckett would have had a hard time taking Castle serious if she didn’t know them and how they shaped his life.

Comment by Deane Cheney – July 16, 2012 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • alexis is boring period….and what did she mean “wew” about beckett and castle thats the best thing happened to this show seeing them express what they feel…

Comment by maddie – August 29, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You don’t get it. Molly looks at Nathan like a 2nd father. Nathan thinks of Molly like a daughter. They’ve both been very public saying such things. Who the hell wants to think about their father screwing around with someone?! The answer: no one. Also, contrary to what a lot of fans want to think, Rick and Kate’s relationship isn’t the whole point of the show. There are many things that everyone involved in making the show wants the viewers to see an enjoy. Kate/Rick is just one aspect of the show.

Comment by Charley – August 29, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think she meant it from Alexis’ point of view. I mean, how many kids, no matter their age, are comfortable with the thought of their parent(s) having sex?

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann (@myownlittlecrnr) – August 29, 2012 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly right Sarah. On Twitter, Molly has specifically answered this question with saying “from the perspective of Alexis………”

Comment by Charley – August 29, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She would be the PERFECT Clary Fray :(

Comment by Jacqueline Atta (@JaxxOLantern) – September 13, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post