Fall TV Preview

Vampire Diaries Scoop: Meet Season 4′s Big Bad

Chicago Code alum Todd Williams is joining The Vampire Diaries in a major recurring role, TVLine has confirmed.

Per executive producer Julie Plec, Williams will play Connor, “a mysterious and powerful new vampire hunter who comes to Mystic Falls.”

VIDEO | Vampire Diaries‘ Nina Dobrev: Elena Is Going to ‘Freak Out’ Over Her Bloodsucker Fate

Williams, who also recurred on In Plain Sight, first appears in Diaries‘ second episode. The thriller’s fourth season kicks off on Oct. 11.

Comments (44)

• If he’s a serious big bad vampire hunter like they are describing him to be, then he better kill some vampire characters we care about on the show, and not some extras. The cast is so big, it needs some shrinking so the writers can actually focus on writing well enough for all of these characters and actually use them!

I don’t want to lose anyone I love, but let’s see if the writers actually have the guts to do so. As long as they don’t turn him into the mess they did to Klaus throughout Season 3. He’s not even scary anymore!

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the problem with Alaric, he killed a whole ZERO vampires(Klaus was a fake out). And Klaus is the worst character on the show now. He’s a weak, whiny puppy dog who is just not awesome enough to be the Queen of Awesome(Caroline).

Comment by Josh – July 12, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be with* not to be haha

Comment by Josh – July 12, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s really hard to take villains on this show seriously.

Caroline’s dad was a total waste.
        Mikael was killed off far too fast.
        Klaus has been turned into this sick puppy dog.
        Esther is really the only “real” villain that isn’t afraid to push the boundaries except she’s stuck on the Other Side.

I don’t really expect much from him until I see it.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Except how much of a villain was Esther? Until she went all crazy in the last five minutes of her appearance her intentions made sense. “Kill vampires because they’re senseless murderers. I most do this because it is my fault they exist to kill innocent people.”

It’s sort of sad when your bad guy is actually the most sympathetic, responsible person of the bunch.

Comment by Josh – July 12, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s what made Esther so great of a villain. You could understand her point of view in wanting to end the vampire race and she was extremely powerful to boot. The threat that came with her was that it also put the lives of Stefan, Caroline, and Damon as well as Tyler’s life in danger. She is, in my eyes, the best villain the show has had, but she wasn’t used all that well. I hope we get a season that one day focuses on the witches, making Esther the big bad and even possibly Bonnie. Witches deserve some respect!

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:43 PM PDT
    • I see what you’re saying and agree to an extent, but Alaric was a huge part of the show even though he wasn’t a vampire. That was a pretty ballsy move, and even with all my problems aside, that finale was crazy good.

Comment by Noel – July 12, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The cast is too big? You reaaaally shouldn’t watch True Blood. ;P

Comment by ArcaneW – July 12, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Haha, I don’t watch True Blood. Never really got into it to be honest.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you. About the cast, it’s not that it’s too big, it’s that they can’t write them properly. Like it’s not too big per say, but it’s WAY TOO BIG for the writers. I mean sending characters away because you clearly don’t know what to do about them. This year (specifically second half of S3) was a mess, we had characters that were taking too much screen time (like Caroline and Damon) and others that should have been more present (Was I the only one feeling like the show was turning into a Caroline, Damon and Elena show instead of Stefan, Elena and Damon?”)

But they REALLY need a very bad guy, though, it’s frustrating how a vampire hunter is a bad guy?! Like all their “real” villains have been people who kill vampire. Technically they are the good guys… anyway…

One thing though, Klaus needs to go back in that coffin and at the bottom of the ocean. Let’s pray that Bonnie will double-cross him! I can’t with him drawing ponies… :D He was such a great villain at the start… Book!Klaus must be crying from somewhere in hell! LMAO

Comment by Manie – July 12, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dont u people read the books

Comment by jesska – August 23, 2012 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • FYI the show does NOT follow the books, they are 2 seperate things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Samantha – October 18, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I were them I would use this new big bad to bring all the vamps together! Ergo making Klaus become a good guy so he can stick around! =D

Comment by Amanda (@RowdyBug) – July 12, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Klaus will never become a “good” guy on the show, if that ever happened then the writers will have messed up BIG time. Klaus shouldn’t be turned into some good guy character. Honestly, Klaus has to die at some point or else he just becomes pointless – which he already kind of is.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s one of my many problems with the show….Why is a vampire hunter a bad guy exactly? So far everyone vampire we’ve met have killed at least one person and 90% of all vampires seem to be heartless murderers(though sometimes they have 40-80 year breaks)…The show can’t seem to keep it straight. They want the bad boys to be bad boys but turn them into homicidal abusive psychos. And then they turn their bad guys into bad boys while still being abusive psychos(but stalkers now too boot).

I just can’t find myself rooting for the vampires. I’m not rooting against them ever but I always wanted the story to end with Elena choosing herself, humanity and a normal life. So far vampires(save for Caroline) have proven as dangerous as everyone says they are.

I guess I’m on team Witch(I was hoping a witch would actually be a bad guy this season…)

Comment by Josh – July 12, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I could not agree with this more. At least with Buffy, vampires were still perceived as a bad thing and there was some slaying going on! It even had the guts to kill off Angel and later send him away. In this show, it’s like vampires are good and safe creatures and that a hunter is the enemy. That shouldn’t be how it works. I mean if he goes after Caroline, Elena, Stefan, or Damon then he’s a thread because that’s our main characters, but all other vampires (including Elijah, Klaus, Rebekah, and others) they are all fair game for this guy and shouldn’t be perceived as bad if he’s going after them as well as stray vampires.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But because of that dumb “Kill the sire” plot, he is a threat to our main characters….I hate that plot…

I loved this show the first two seasons, was a serious addict…But season 3 was a mess and I just think I’m dropping it because I’m not excited about anything in season 4 so far :(.

Comment by Josh – July 12, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, honestly, Klaus’ body should have remained the way it was and sunk in the Atlantic Ocean. That would have kept our characters safe from the whole sire thing. Then the writers could later bring back Klaus some how in a future season, maybe the final season or something. Sigh.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked him on Chicago Code so yes!

Comment by Noel – July 12, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please have him kill Elena, then both brothers can move on to someone who is not a Doppleganger, or go evil again :D WE could put any one of the others as the main, I’d og with Caroline , and no more whimpering annoying person everyone is scrambling to save every two seconds! I know it will never happen but a girl can dream!

Comment by Kate McKenna (@Katemadeleine) – July 12, 2012 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like Caroline needs more guys around her… Seriously they are already turning her into book!Elena, we don’t need to push it further!

Comment by Manie – July 12, 2012 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can’t kill Elena because she is the big main character in both the show and the book. The show is not just about vampires but the love triangle of two brothers Stefan and Damon and a girl which is Elena . If they kill off Elena the show won’t succeed

Comment by Damonandelenaforever – July 13, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Really find it hard to believe that any character in this universe can be a successful vampire slayer for very long. The Humans are portrayed so weak and useless opposed to the ridiculously overpowered Vampires with all their loopholes to all their weaknesses. Maybe they will finally prove that wrong with this character, but I won’t be holding my breath.

Comment by TheDude – July 12, 2012 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that this new vampire should stake (even if he can´t kill them because of the sire thing) Klaus and the originals, y and then become the new bad guy. This way the show could head in another direction. And now that Elena could be a vampire, the show won´t be about keeping her safe. I loved the part when Stefan became the bad guy, it was so refreshing, because he did it to save Damon, and not to save Elena. I hope Elena becomes a stronger character and no more a damsel in distress.

Comment by Patty – July 12, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was kinda hoping Bonnie would be the big bad this year.

Comment by Captain – July 12, 2012 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm… not sure where this is going but hey it’s always an awesome show so I’m along for the ride! He’s HELLA sexy too.

Comment by Danielle H – July 12, 2012 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What are the odds he’s somehow related to Bonnie… given that apparently every black person in mystic Falls are related to each other.

Comment by lukas – July 12, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO I know right… My only hope is that if he’s related to Bonnie, let it be her father. THAT would be hilarious!

Comment by Manie – July 12, 2012 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully he’ll be a threatening villain. I’m so sick of Klaus. Also, while I’m really sad they killed Alaric, they hadn’t given him anything real to do in ages. (I honestly don’t think we saw him teach anything the entire last season.)

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – July 12, 2012 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. I for one actually loved this past season EXCEPT the faulty hybrid rubbish–that stuff I could have done without. IMO turn Caroline bad, kill off Matt and Tyler, re-establish Klaus as evil and give Bonnie a bigger storyline–perhaps explore that dynamic between Bonnie/Damon if Elena happens to get back together with Stephen.

Comment by Ally – July 12, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree with pretty much everything you guys above have said.
    Klaus needs to go, the hybrids are lame & should be put back in the McGuffin box & Elena needs to start kicking @ss or the viewers will get very tired of the “everything is about Elena” writing.
    Personally I feel the show could be even better if she was pushed back to a supporting role for a series (or EVER) – the “love triangle” is tiresome & Paul Wesley had practically nothing to do for most of the last series.
    More flashback stuff please, more vampires as badass killing machines instead of the Twilight approach.
    And if this guy is to be a “threat” then he needs to take one of the main cast the F out & it needs to be final.
    And yeah, since when are the vampire hunters the “bad guys”?
    If only they hadn’t killed off Michael in a really lame way. Sebastian Roche is excellent.
    And I’m guessing no Elijah seeing as he’s in Saving Hope now?

Comment by Brian (@TheFifthDoctor) – July 13, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far the writers seem to fall in love with their own ”big-bad” characters and never gets as far as killing them off… See Season of the Kat (Katherine being the big bad first half f Season 2), and then they make her in to a pathetic, yet entertaining, character and then shoves her into the background. Followed by Klaus the big bad at the end of season 2 and season 3, and then he becomes another character that they can shove into the background in season 4 ….
    It seems in this show, our protagonists can never truly beat the ”big-bads”, instead they are just one-upped by new ‘big bad’

Comment by Anelle – July 13, 2012 02:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Connor was making it off Angel :)

Comment by saxyroro (@saxyroro) – July 13, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOW I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU PEOPLE DIDN’T YOUR MOTHER EVER TEACH YOU ” IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY THING NICE TO SAY DON’T SAY ANYTHING @ ALL ” ALL OF YOU SUX , THIS IS A GREAT SHOW W/ GREAT CHARACTERS AND GREAT WRITING AND IF YOU DON’T LIKE IT DON’T WATCH IT AND ANOTHER THING DID YOU ALL THINK THAT IF YOU KEEP WRITING BAD REVIEWS THEY WILL CANCEL THE SHOW ALL TOGETHER THEY DO IT TO EVERYTHING ELSE ON T.V. NOW A DAYS WE SHOULD BE GRATEFUL THAT IT IS COMING BACK ON FOR A 4TH SEASON

Comment by eva – July 13, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do agree with you I love vampire diaries I love how they are still using stuff from the books I just love everything about the show. They have some characters as same as the books . But I do want to see a good Bonnie/Damon relationship. The only people he cared and loved in the books were his brother Stefan Elena his princess and Bonnie his little redbird so yes I would love Bonnie and Damons relationship like that. I love vampire diaries no matter what happens.

Comment by Damonandelenaforever – July 13, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Klaus needs die. Why is he still around? And totally agree with everyone about the show having way too many characters than they can write for. The characterization is all botched up. I need less Caroline too, she’s nothing special and most of her screen-time is a waste in my opinion. she adds some lightheartedness to the show but aside from that she serves no other purpose but to have pointless romance after pointless romance. So tedious.

I hope now that Elena is a vampire they’ll do her character the justice. There are a lot of fascinating ways they can go about it, and I hope they maximize on the potential. Right now this is the only thing I’m looking forward to next season.

They just need to start over with Stefan, like I wish they could just wipe everything clean and write him from scratch, that’s how horrible I find his characterization. There’s a reason he always seems to fall into the background even when Season 3 was supposed to be about his descent into darkness or whatever. The writers just aren’t bold enough to really take his character to that place, and they just watered it down and made everything disappear before it even got good. Still so bitter about that.

The originals I’m not even sure why they’re still around, again just to take up space apparently, because neither one of them actually have a good arc. And characters like Tyler and Jeremy will disappear because the show will not know what to do with them, since there’s already so many characters on screen.

Comment by Cynthia – July 14, 2012 07:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The problem with Klaus is, Julie Plec confirmed that Klaus is in fact Steffan/Damon/Katherine/Caroline/Elena’s creator so if he dies then so do they all.

Comment by ahlataziz – July 14, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just from reading the comments above, i agree with people that as much as i don’t like to admit it (since this show has truly surprised and impressed me in season 1 and 2 with their unexpected plot twists and killing of Vicki, Anna, Elena’s dad, Jenna and Alaric) i also agree that the previous seasons felt more interesting because 1. there was actually this enclosing doom/big bad/bigger plot point the show was building up to unlike season 3 which kind of just had the Originals running around being not as dangerous as they were made to sound like and 2. No one significant got written off the show this season except for Alaric near the end but even then they morphed his character into this totally unrecognizable thing that had reached a point of no return. When Jeremy left in the beginning i was so shocked and impressed by that bold move but then he came back. I like all the characters but the show isn’t the same unless i have the constant “OMG ANYONE and i mean ANYONE could be killed off” feeling whenever something intense happens.

However, there were also some very good, note-worthy things that happened in season 3 and because of that I have faith that if season 4 doesn’t end up being excellent, it’ll at least be good/watchable. But they NEED to have an overarching plot somewhere in there otherwise i just don’t feel the same excitement. I remember in season 2 when the coming of Klaus was so flipping intense i couldn’t handle it.

Comment by ahlataziz – July 14, 2012 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • U guys obviously don’t get niklaus as an actual human psyche prior to his turning everyone he thought loved and cared about him turned on him and became traitors there fore he cannot trust anyone so he looks out for number one forther more he can not become a good guy(i mean he’s so damn good at being the bad guy) I mean his only friend tried to kill him multiple times (Stefan ) and by the way they need ripper Stefan back regular Stefan is a deuche and season 1 Damon was the best

Comment by Scott Brady – August 24, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG people!!!!! everyone talks about “the cast is to big, the villains are not bad enough, important crew members should die. .. blah blah bla
    first off all they cant make the whole series only about damon elena and stefan. thats boring
    2. if they would creat such a badass villain that would start killing important members like caroline, matt and bonney, then again you would cry.
    and about caracters not beeing developt enoug because there are too many?
    imagine having only 7 caracters on the show and seeing/hearing only their stories again and againd and again for the next 2.5 seasons?????? well i think that would be boring…
    for me the show its great, it is exciting to have new caracters that gome and go but keeping the original cast (stefan, elena, damon, caroline, tyler, bonni, matt, elenas brother and even rebekah and klaus) :-)

Comment by jess – October 13, 2012 12:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i couldn’t have said it better myself , i’m so glad to hear someone else say something positive and polite !!!!!!!!!! so kudos to you and thank you !!!!!!!!

Comment by eva – October 15, 2012 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree, these people leaving such negative dum ass comments might aswell not comment full stop, there input is total rubbish. The show does not have too many characters at all, you need more people to keep it interesting and constantly evolving the show, other wise that would be boring!!! Oh and Alaric did KILL A VAMPIRE the news guy that was after genna, so maybe get all the facts before bringing pointless useless comments to the table. VAMPIRE DIARIES ROCKS AND CONSTANTLY KEEPS CHANGING KEEPING VIEWERS INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Samantha – October 18, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post