Comic-Con

Teen Wolf Renewed for a Super-Sized Season 3

Get More: Comic-Con, News, Renewals

MTV apparently is over the full moon about Teen Wolf, and thus has renewed the series for a super-sized Season 3.

That commissioning of 24 new episodes represents double the order of either of the show’s first two runs, while the third-season pick-up marks a first for any scripted MTV primetime series (pretending for a moment that the Jersey goons aren’t working off a script, albeit one written in crayon).

Teen Wolf represents a terrific foray into the scripted world for the millennial MTV audience, and marks tremendous success in the continued diversification of our schedule,” MTV programming boss David Janollari said in announcing the Season 3 order. “Renewing the show for a third season celebrates the creative vision of executive producer Jeff Davis and the remarkable talent of the cast who bring this bona fide fan favorite to life.”

Season 3 will be shot in Los Angeles versus Atlanta, where the first two cycles called home.

Teen Wolf fans, are you howling over the big vote of confidence in Scott, Lydia et al?

Tags: ,

Comments (78)

• And yet the show with better ratings (Awkward) gets shafted

Comment by Bella – July 12, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t worry, there is no doubt MTV will renew Awkward. for a 3rd season, and with this news of Teen Wolf getting a 24-episode season, I think Awkward. may be likely to get the same as well.

Either way, I could not be happier as I love both Teen Wolf and Awkward. They’re both well written shows with great casts, witty humor, and to be honest, they are quality shows. Bring ‘em on! And MTV renew Awkward. for a 24 episode season 3 SOON!

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TEENWOLF IS A GREAT SHOW.I HOPE THEY KEEP IT GOING FOR MANY SEASONS.

Comment by JASON CHAPMAN – July 28, 2012 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Awkward Havering a 3rd season I hope they have other season of teen wolf cause I love playing guess who was the killer Teen wolf is good.

Comment by linda – July 28, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I WOuld love to have hela seasons of TeenWolf <<<<<<<<<<<<33333333333333333

Comment by Rosalina – August 11, 2012 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes!!! Season 3!

Comment by Amy – August 13, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh my god if I didn’t have on demand so that I can watch teen wolf over and over I would go nuts. What is so bad is that I’m 48 years old and I hate MTV and there other shows but Teen Wolf I have to have season 4 A and B.

thank You for this show.

Comment by Renee Lynn – August 22, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t freak all out about it, this news probably came first because Teen Wolf is at the Comicon today.

Comment by Danyelle – July 12, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Teen Wolf won a tax credit lottery, and to get it they had to shoot 24 episodes. So don’t worry, that’s the reason they got the nod, and the double order, ahead of Awkward.

Comment by R. – July 12, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad I’m not the only one who had this reaction. I like Teen Wolf, but Awkward had higher ratings and better reception from critics. So if they just give fans 12 episodes it will be like a slap in the face!

Comment by Brandy (@Realme2011) – July 12, 2012 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s very likely that Awkward. will only get a 12-episode order for next season as well, and that Teen Wolf’s 24-episode season may be spread out across two summers. As far as ratings go, both shows are scoring 0.7 in the 18-49 demo, with Teen Wolf scoring better in the P12-34 one. With regard to viewers, the first two episodes of their second season were as close to identical as it gets. Teen Wolf creates more buzz and is a hit with social media. So while I like both shows, there’s no reason to elevate Awkward. onto an MTV pedestal; both shows will be renewed, and Teen Wolf was first because they were at Comic-Con, and so it made sense to make the announcement about the renewal.

Comment by Tom – July 13, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awkward did get renewed for a third season…

Comment by Miranda – August 1, 2012 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. I Wouldn’t mind if they made teen wolf never ending. (:
      I love that show so much. its one of the best! they should do ALOT of season.
      Stiles+Lydia should goout
      scott+Allison shld goout
      and boyd and erica looked cute in the last epp :3

Comment by Justine Marie – August 23, 2012 03:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CRYING

Comment by lydia – July 12, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very Happy about this. The show has proven to be great and I cant wait to see what they pull out with a 24 episode season. I’m sure Awkward will be coming soon. It just started their new season after all.

Comment by Rob – July 12, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SWEEEt! Does that mean we get new season 3 episodes earlier than Next summer?!

Comment by C – July 12, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Teen wolf season 3 premieres July 15th I think! I wish it was earlier then next summer/:

Comment by Hanna – July 24, 2012 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing has been announced one way or the other, as of Aug. 13.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – August 13, 2012 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad it got renewed but I’m not so sure about the super-sized episode order. One of Teen Wolf’s biggest strengths is having all killer, no filler. I’m concerned having more episodes means that we’ll have some episodes were nothing happens and the plot doesn’t advance at all.

Comment by Clay – July 12, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Jeff Davis once said that should they have a larger season, they’d break it up into two parts and keep it going with the same format they have now. So, we’ll see! I have total trust in these writers.

Comment by ishivi – July 12, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Teen Wolf got a big tax credit so this announcement was inevitable. Awkward’s future hasn’t been determined yet.

Comment by Mick – July 12, 2012 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Knowing networks I wouldn’t doubt if season 3 pt1 airs next summer then season 3 pt2 airs summer 2014.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – July 12, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i know its likely their going to split up the season into two parts of 12 episodes but i wonder if their going to air them close together and start season 3 earlier than season 1 and 2 or their going to have one part in summer 2013 and then another in summer 2014, and if they do that, why didnt they just renew the show for two seasons of 12 eps each.

anyways still really happy about this! =D

Comment by Jake – July 12, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Now hopefully we’ll get to see more of the supporting character and more in depth. Would love to see more of Chris Argent. I have really liked how they are giving Derek more screen time this season too :-)

Comment by Marie – July 12, 2012 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now if DirecTV and Viacom would end their p*ssing contest, I could watch the rest of this season (and Awkward too) :(

Comment by TheBeach – July 12, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! I’m so mad because I missed last week’s episode, and now it seems I’m just going to get further and further behind. Guess I’ll have to wait for the DVD :(

Comment by Walter – July 13, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the “contest” is over now. Plus, Teen Wolf has a site where you can watch the most recent episode on it. The episode will usually air later in the day after the episode airs.

Comment by Katie Clifton – July 31, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just letting you know, you can watch it on mtv.com….

Comment by Not Important. – August 14, 2012 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • if you go to mtv.com it has the complete season one and two just search teen wolf

Comment by yourface – August 25, 2012 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Teen Wolf? More Sterek? Great news!

Comment by M – July 12, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I doubt MTV will air all 24 episodes at once..it will most likely get broken up into either 2 season(3 and 4)..Or split into season 3A(12 episodes) and 3B(12 episodes). Awkward fans..dont worry..if the show can maintain the ratings it currently has..the show will be a lock for a season 3 renewal. Awkward is MTVs critical darling..theres no way there gonna let it go.

Comment by Jared – July 12, 2012 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here’s hoping they choose to do this like Pretty Little Liars, where they air half the season, go on break for two, three months, and then air the back half. That way there, there’s less filler and a season long storyline doesn’t stretch out too long like it does on a lot of 24-episode seasons. Also so that there’s not a near year-long hiatus between the seasons. It’s one of the reasons I love about Teen Wolf, they have 12 episodes to work with, which keeps the suspense live and thriving. Though hopefully with the extended episode, we’ll get some back-story on both Derek and Stiles before we met them on the show. Maybe an episode set when Kate was seducing Derek so that we can glimpse the Hale family, and the another where Stiles and his father discuss the Stilinski matriarch.

Comment by Ashley – July 12, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you serious? PLL is the definition of filler and stretched out storylines. Also, the fact that they have the great Laura Leighton and never seem to use her doesn’t help.

Comment by Gerald – July 12, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I meant in the way of format, where they split up their season. Jeff’s already confirmed via Twitter though that there will be 12-episode storylines, like the first two seasons have been, so it’ll sort of feel like two seasons. And Holly Marie Combs! The Mamas need some love too.

Comment by Ashley – July 14, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Teen Wolf. I am still mourning the loss of Death Valley though :(

Comment by Olivia – July 12, 2012 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very cool.

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 12, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Teeen Wolf. It has been awesome this year. Last year was good but this year is better. Get rid of the lame Argents or have them work with the wolves to destroys the big bad. The team would be unstoppable.

Comment by Pawan – July 12, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • More Sterek please!

Comment by Jessica – July 12, 2012 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Brandon – July 12, 2012 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That guy has the weirdest jawline ever.

Comment by Mememeine – July 13, 2012 12:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just a bit crooked. Shut up.

Comment by Tom – July 13, 2012 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show has been a pleasant little surprise. I personally have not watched anything on MTV since 2004, as I was just out of high school and felt that I had outgrown it. As a fan of True Blood, Lost Girl, and other shows in that vain but not Vampire Diaries which is geared towards a younger audience, I didn’t know what to expect. Teen Wolf has been awesome though! I still can’t believe this show is on MTV. I watch it online because I still can’t get myself to actually turn to the channel. This is such good news!

Comment by parg – July 15, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am sooooooooooooooooooo happy teen wolf will have a 3rd season!! i cant wait for it!!! I wounder if they will make a 4th season? i hope because i dont want the drama, action, and awesome to end. I want them to make 20 seasons!! i just luve teen wolf.

Comment by Hamster20780 – July 23, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wounder what’s going to happen with dereks uncle? Why is he back? And I wounder what’s. Season 3 is going to be about

Comment by marco – July 26, 2012 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think teen wolf is the real deal for yound adults as it portrays action and excitment, i think this series should have not just a third season but a season 4, and 5 with 36 episodes in each season 5 and 6. Teen wolf is THE best show i have seen, I love how the actors make it seem so real, like you are actually starring in the movie, I would like to be an actor one day myself and I would like to star in film and TV, anyway, I am just curious as to what happens tonight in the episode, I am very curious as to if they kill Jackson

Comment by Duncan ewing – July 30, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the fact, but was also saddened by it, that they portrayed old characters through new ones this season, as they’d never done that before. Using a young Peter Hill to get to Lydia while also displaying older Peter’s manipulative qualities? Genius!

I like how the mythological aspects of the show are beginning to show as well.

I don’t understand why there is always an antagonist in shows, though. I don’t want happy go lucky, but save the would stuff gets a little tiresome.

I think they should explore the effects and affects Lydia’s psychological instability is having on her as well as her parents and friends.

Comment by jdrules – July 30, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused why are they shooting in LA instead of Atlanta???

Comment by andrew fallon – July 30, 2012 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So like do I have to wait till next summer for the 3rd season of Teen Wolf? or like just wait for awkward or inbetweeners season to end and they’ll air season 3 on January?

Comment by thisisalifeanddeathmatter – July 31, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Teen Wolf is a very good show! I’m so glad they’re making a 3rd Season :D

Comment by Katelyn Davern – August 1, 2012 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so, does this mean we will have to wait until next summer as usual for season 3 or will it be aired earlier? Teen wolfs great :) pls get rid of jackson already !

Comment by joe – August 8, 2012 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also hoping styles asks Scott to turn him into a werewolf is it jest me that wants that to happen?: )

Comment by joe – August 9, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Does anyone know the answer? ^ ^

Comment by joe – August 13, 2012 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love teenwolk more then awkward but there hella funny and cool shows :) <3

Comment by Rosalina – August 11, 2012 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • glad that is back for a third season I don’t mind how long the series is as long as it is on.

Comment by yvette dixon (@yvettedixon1995) – August 13, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love teenwolf it is freaking awsome i wish that they could air season 3 earlier before next summer :)

Comment by Raul – August 13, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited for season 3! This show is amazing and if it ever ends I will cry. The hard part is waiting for next summer!

Comment by shannon – August 13, 2012 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When can we get the first two seasons in stores

Comment by Nathan Fennell – August 13, 2012 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When will season 3 begin airing? Please reply fast GOTTA KNOW!!!!

Comment by Yudhis – August 14, 2012 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, someone please answer YUDHIS I would also like to know.

Comment by Bob – August 14, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would guess beginning of next summer like it was this year ..

Comment by Not Important. – August 14, 2012 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looooove teen wolf, but some of these comments are really annoying . Think before you write. Oh and not Yudhis, that was a genuinely good question :)

Comment by Not Important. – August 14, 2012 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Think styles should become a werewolf

Comment by Nykia Higdon – August 15, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Interesting thought, but he’s one of the few characters that’s not a were, and we can’t have them all be werewolves and hunters. Well, you could, but I think Stiles being human and not a hunter makes it kinda better.

Comment by Katie Clifton – August 15, 2012 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree!

Comment by Bob – August 15, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by stiles – August 17, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Stiles should stay human..it’s what makes it so interesting..Scott always has to come to his rescue haha

Comment by Jeremy P. – August 26, 2012 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show we loved the twilight saga this is for sure the next twilight one hundred percent , the show just sucks u in, love it huge thums up

Comment by Chuck b – August 21, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hurry up season Teen Wolf season 3!!!!!! Can’t wait! #PsychedOut

Comment by Jeremy P. – August 26, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They HAVE to make a third season – and even more than that! I mean they can’t just end it all now that there’s an alpha pack, and wtf happened to Jackson? Doesn’t anybody want to know? They need to make a lot more than two season, cus i love it!<3

Comment by Rebecca – August 28, 2012 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to watch more seasons of teen wolf…definitely love it however please don’t go on for like too many seasons with no endings or else it’ll begin to get all boring

Comment by Su Ling – August 30, 2012 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Niggggga, Teen coyote is bigger than my big Italian pinky! Hah jk it gay.

Comment by Brady – October 6, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just joking. I love teen wolf, I love every episode. Scott is like one of my role models. So is my cat…Mr. Pussy pounda.

Comment by Brady – October 6, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its good that its renewed but Its been very hard for me as I am sure its hard for other to keep up with these shows, like True Blood and Teen Wolf. They are just off the air for so long a 10 month wait which is almost a whole year for the next installment and not to mention the net works are taking much longer breaks during their seasons, that right there is a big turn off for me and with that said I can’t always be around to catch all the episodes as they air, so I really don’t watch them anymore during its run of the season, I download from Amazon each new episode every week and wait till the season is over then I watch it, I don’t like commercial breaks and the long breaks the Network’s takes. I think that why a lot of show get cancelled before they should with show taking way to long to return people begin to lose interest or the move on to something else.

Comment by Stars1100 – November 12, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well I say that there will not be a werewolf or who knows is there are several thematic stiles because nobody really knows much about this character as some and seen in the series as one of them as it is called because it really blames the death of his mother as there may be recognized instantly because the boss Derek Hale and Scott orintadora whether interested in a somewhat strange as if they were trained teacher and embers for something very important and as the can use magic and the latest news about the third season that says in chapter two has a friend who seems to be having a secret that has to do with what I shall ask werewolves because Stiles is surrounded from before with people who know werewolf and who was sumama and they do not speak of your family will alguin important in the series and because stlies said to have been an 10 that if others say 5 or 6 years that I know Derek will be better than it is because derek seemed to recognize her smell inside the patrol when he was talking to the other thing in the ep magic bullet by bullet according derek podioa not control his transformation as they spend much time with stiles and after some ecenas seems controlling and simpre Derek Stiles hits because you will like

Comment by mario – November 15, 2012 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when is season 4 starting

Comment by winifred – November 26, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG!! I’M SO HAPPY TEEN WOLF IS COMING BACK FOR A THIRD SEASON.

Comment by lisa – January 28, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And comment by mario!! Are u a retard? Because half of ur comment I couldnt even understand! Dumbass

Comment by Billy – June 7, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post