Comic-Con

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Mentalist, Sons of Anarchy, Homeland, Falling Skies, Dixie and More

Why are G-men storming The Mentalist? How quickly will Homeland answer burning questions? Will Falling Skies‘ Karen get a warm welcome home? Is Sons revving up the father/son animosity even higher? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from fall and summer shows.

The Mentalist | We start this week’s column with a dip into the reader mailbag, where Erin asks: “Do you have an Inside Line on The Mentalist?” As a matter of fact, the CBS procedural – which, remember now, has moved to Sundays at 10/9c – has put out a casting for not one, not two but three FBI agents. Yeah, apparently that season-ending shoot-out has left a big multi-jurisdictional mess to be mopped up. Among the new recurring G-people are a handsome “good guy” named Gabe, a “ferocious alpha female” named Alexa and quiet lunk named Reede. The Mentalist, as reported earlier this week, returns on Sunday, Sept. 30.

Homeland | Ack, we now turn to one of The Mentalist‘s time slot rivals, which also kicks off its new season on Sept. 30. (I feel dirty. And yet, there’s scoop to share….) I have learned that one of the Season 2 roles I told you about, Brody’s chief of staff, has been cast, and Broadway vet Alexander Gemignani has landed the potentially recurring gig. Now you’re like, “Wait, Brody’s in office already?” To which Damian Lewis says: “Well, let’s put it this way: Brody’s political career is somewhat accelerated in the first episode. In fact, a lot happens in that first episode.” A lot, but not anything as regards the burning questions coming out of Season 1. “You know what? Any trails which were left open – like the mole, the razor blade [slipped to Hamid] and the [missing] memory card – none of them are touched on in the first episode,” Lewis shares.

Falling Skies | Another Sunday night drama? Sure! This weekend is when Karen (played by Jessy Schram aka Cinderella) resurfaces, and under quite extraordinary circumstances. “I won’t spoil it for you,” showrunner Remi Aubuchon starts, “but I will say that when she reappears, you just won’t believe what’s happening with her.” What, is the former 2nd Masser no longer lip-synching for Mr. Overlord? “I’m hesitant to say any more,” Aubuchon hedges. “But the way she comes is really quite interesting.” Especially for Margaret, I have to imagine. (Hey Hal – it’s no contest, really.)

RELATED | First Look: Sons of Anarchy‘s Official Season 5 Poster Underscores Huge Clay/Jax Rift

Sons of Anarchy | “It’s going to be a very, very uneasy partnership” — that is how Charlie Hunnam sums up the dynamic between Jax and Clay as Season 5 picks up, a short time after SAMCRO’s abrupt change in leadership. “Jax is keeping him around as a matter of necessity, and when that necessity ends… I don’t know what going to happen.” As such, Clay, even as cocksure as he can be, must figure that his days of serving the club in any capacity are numbered, no? “I would imagine that Clay understands that he has a finite amount of time,” Hunnam offers. “And I’m sure he’s going to put that time to very good use, to engineer some reason that he’s essential beyond this period of his actually being essential.”

Hart of Dixie | A new recurring character being added for Season 2 is both good news — for Zoe and Lavon – and bad news – for Lemon. Ruby, an African-American in her early 30s, is described as gorgeous and sophisticated,” a successful cosmopolitan businesswoman who returns to Bluebell after selling off her cosmetics line over in Atlanta. The rub is that Ruby was Lavon’s high school sweetheart and thus an old foe of Lemon’s. And likely because of her aforementioned cosmopolitan flair, she and Zoe hit it off right away. Any casting suggestions? (The 4400‘s Megalyn Echikunwoke, perhaps?) Hit us with ‘em in Comments!

Touch | Remember how you wanted to love the Kiefer Sutherland drama, but perhaps you felt its cast was just a touch too tiny? I mean, you had Kiefer, Gugu and… the kid. That’s about to change. Going into Season 2, not only is Maria Bello now on board as a regular, but two other new faces are being added to the cast. One of the new characters, Calvin, seems benign enough – a young genius entrepreneur scientist who’s really into math and algorithms. But it’s the other role being cast, Manolo Ortiz, that our erstwhile Jack Bauer may want to worry about, as he’s described as a former priest-turned-killing machine, a religious zealot who fancies himself on a mission from God. Sounds like our touchy-feely Fox drama is bringing on some form of big bad.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around!  (With reporting by Meg Masters)

Comments (23)

• Amber Stevens, Michelle Welton would be great in Hart of Dixie or Tatyana Ali

Comment by bgs – July 12, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zoe Saldana or Rosario Dawson!!!

Comment by Hyde – July 12, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ooooh… I forgot Bianca Lawson

Comment by Hyde – July 12, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they don’t drag out a Maggie-Hal-Karen triangle for too long. I really enjoy Maggie and Hal together, as friends, partners, and romantically. Karen was okay, but I wasn’t devastated when she was harnessed, and I feel like no matter how she comes back she is going to bring trouble.

Comment by Mikaylah – July 12, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was harnessed like 2 episodes in….

Comment by Shaun – July 13, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you got dat right.

Comment by col – July 19, 2012 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michelle Welton aka Tiffany Hines

Comment by bgs – July 12, 2012 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bianca Lawason would be fantastic so would Tatanya Ali. I want to get Tatanya Ali off Y&R. They severly underuse her.

Comment by Pawan – July 12, 2012 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Hart of Dixie: Megalyn Echikunwoke would be great, but I’d also love to see Tiffany Hines, Bianca Lawson, or Annie Ilonzeh.

Comment by CJ – July 12, 2012 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that I watch listed on here is Homeland. Thanks for the info Matt.

Comment by Tania – July 12, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Megalyn Echikunwoke, Denise Vasi from Single Ladies or Tatyana Ali.

Comment by Patty – July 12, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The missing memory card is missing from my memory. I cannot remember what the deal is with that. But I do want to know who slipped Hamid that razor blade. I figure the mole isn’t coming out anytime soon though. Maybe that will be the season 2 finale. On a related note, the season one DVD/Blu-Ray of Homeland comes out August 30th, I think it is. I’m finally going to get my copy that was ordered back in March! I really wish Showtime would release the DVDs of their shows with a bit more time before the new seasons come out. It’s going to be difficult to watch all the episodes, plus all the episode commentaries, plus all the extras in just one month’s time.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 12, 2012 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent suggestion about megalynne. She was a powerhouse on the 4400

Comment by eddieginsburg (@eddieginsburg) – July 12, 2012 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just waiting for The Mentalist to come back. At least CBS already has re-runs on Sundays and Bravo has re-runs 4 days a week I just hope sports schedule doesn’t mess up timing as it did for The Good Wife last season.

Comment by Joy – July 12, 2012 06:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure why the new love interest is a problem for Lemon, given that she clearly chose George. I hate the Lemon/Lavon storyline, wish they’d drop it already.

Comment by Ella – July 12, 2012 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s probably an issue for Lemon because even though she choose George – he didn’t choose her. Plus, it’s stated that they had this year(s) long passionate love affair – it’s probably hard for her to see in her heartbroken state regarless of who she choose.

Comment by Toni – July 13, 2012 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m confused. I didn’t realize Lavon went to high school with them. I just thought he moved there once his football career was over. I also figured him for being a bit older than the rest of them.

Comment by Amy – July 13, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seems like they are trying to rewrite history with this storyline. Was Lavon even from Bluebell based on first season info?

Comment by Hmmmm – July 21, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let the character Ortiz on Touch be played by Carlos Bernard.

Comment by Rick – July 13, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Touch, but why does Kiefer Sutherland’s character always sound like he’s out of breath – even when he’s not moving.

Comment by Karen – July 13, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • …because he hasn’t come down from 24, in which he spoke the same way. Of course, he was always running to or from something in that.

Comment by echo14612 – July 16, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • could anyone tell me when season 3 of sons of anarcy coming back to the uk it was on the bravo channel which is now gone??? thanks

Comment by col – July 19, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I worry about the ratings of the Mentalist being on Sunday nights. And i’m really upset about the people complaining about the show. they are getting tired about the Red John story. I would watch it no matter what but a lot of people are really impatient.

Comment by Christy Aposhian – July 25, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post