AMC to Stream Breaking Bad Season 5 Premiere for DISH Subscribers

Get More: Controversy, News, Premieres

DISH Network subscribers will not be left in the dark as Walter White gets cooking again — thanks to a conscientious move by AMC.

Breaking Bad fans who use DISH can still get their fix of the acclaimed drama’s Season 5 premiere on Sunday evening viaa live online stream, AMC announced on Thursday. Registration for the stream opens at 3 pm EST on Friday, at AMCTV.com/BreakingBad4Dish.

DISH recently dropped AMC from its lineup, as part of a contract dispute that cited the rising cost of carrying the cable channel and other concerns. (AMC maintains that the real reason stems from a years-old legal battle between itself and the satellite provider, regarding distribution.)

For weeks, AMC ads have exhorted fans of shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Walking Dead to call DISH and protest the change. The network’s latest move – in addition to buying it some serious good-guy cred – ensures that those fans don’t miss a moment of meth-making in the opener to Bad’s final season, which airs Sunday, July 15 at 10/9c.

Comments (11)

• I don’t watch the show, but this is very considerate of AMC for the people who do. :)

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – July 12, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about the premeire of Hell on Wheels?!! Come on AMC and DISH, you are only hurting yourselves!

Comment by LindsayM – July 12, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell on Wheels doesn’t premiere until August.

Comment by Teag – July 12, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been seeing in the news lately that either AMC or DISH, I can’t remember who, has been making claims that the contract dispute will absolutely be worked out by October in time for Walking Dead to come back. So….rest easy, WD fans on DISH, I guess? I hope for the fans’ sake it’s really worked out by then. Who knows how reliable those reports can be. I have no worries, as I’m on Comcast, but I am looking to switch providers which leaves me only the choices of DISH or DirectTV, and I really don’t like what I’m seeing with this new trend of the contract disputes both providers have been having over the last few years. DirectTV has their problem with Viacom right now, and it wasn’t that long ago one of them was going to drop Fx. Why do cable providers not have this problem while dish providers do? Are there more regulations for cable that prevent them from pulling that crap on consumers?
    It is very classy for AMC to do this streaming thing for Breaking Bad fans, I’m happy to see it. I wonder if they’ll do it for every episode, or is it just a tease to get fans to call up DISH to complain some more?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 12, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They do they just tend to give in quicker which is why cable can be so expensive these days. All providers have this problem at some point just usually at different times. I was with Time Warner and they dropped all ESPN channels for a week until it was worked out. On Directv now and the Viacom situation is going on. But if they give in the cost will be passed on to me eventually so I support their right to drop these channels and get a better offer.

Comment by Erica – July 12, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s rare to see a network do something like this, but I am happy when it does happen. It also makes me more likely to invest in shows on networks that have proven themselves to be fan-friendly. Nicely done, AMC.

Comment by CJ – July 12, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you!!

Comment by SK – July 12, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Breaking Bad was about to come back on and I looked and looked for it on Dish and no AMC. I then came online and discovered what had happened. I very much appreciate you doing this AMC for us fans of Breaking Bad. Thank you!

Comment by Karen – July 12, 2012 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone with a love of this show needs to let their provider (DISH) know that they are unhappy with the service. Don’t complain here until the people at DISH get the message. One more thing, anyone with a credit card will be able tho buy each episode online and stream the content. Usually about $1.00 per episode.

Comment by seth – July 13, 2012 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know the only people there hurting in all this battle of this is the people who subscribe to Dish or Direct TV. You don’t see them hurting or costing money during this at all. I just wish they quit doing this to the people who subscribe to this. Most importantly drop the monthly bill during this time to protesting. Heck we don’t have these channels we should get a discount during this time of not having these channels (that would cost somebody some money that way). I just wish I can drop Dish and just go to just cable but where I live at I can’t to do that. I also wish the government step in and tell these two companies to settle this and not let the people who subscribes to Dish or Direct TV get treated this way.

Comment by Leslie – July 13, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just watched the first 4 season on Netflix and need to know where I can watch the first half of season 5 I know it is over but are they re airing it antime??

Comment by Rodney – October 7, 2012 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post