Spartacus Creator Steven S. DeKnight's Sci-Fi Thriller, Dracula Revisit in Development at Starz

Two new projects in development at Starz prove that the cable network isn’t afraid to go dark and gritty when it knows it’s in good hands.

Spartacus creator Steven S. DeKnight is working on Incursion, a sci-fi action thriller about soldiers engaged in war with an alien race. The hook: Each season will take place on a new planet as the good guys push farther and farther onto the extraterrestrials’ turf. The project, which promises harsh combat scenes and complex male and female characters set against an intergalactic backdrop, is part of DeKnight’s overall deal with the cable channel.

RELATED | Shocker: Starz Cancels Spartacus, Upcoming Third Season Will Be Last

The second series, Vlad Dracula, blends historical fact about the 15th century’s Prince of Wallachia and vampire lore to tell the tale of the most famous bloodsucker of all time. The team behind the horror-based series includes J. Michael Straczynski (Thor, Babylon 5), Roy Lee (The Ring) and Rob Tapert (Spartacus, Xena: Warrior Princess).

1. wordsmith says:

I’ve gotta say, these both sound pretty awesome…

2. adambramle says:

Gotta Love Scifi.
    Dracula Is So Overrated Though,,,,

3. mia says:

Both of these sound awesome!! Cannot wait to check them out.
    Hope there will be some badass female characters! Love the ones on Spartacus, so I’m not too worried.
    And if they could get Lucy Lawless onto one of those shows, I’d be a happy camper

4. Starz, the new science fiction and fantasy network. Suck it, Syfy.

5. Teaghan says:

Definitely interested in Incursion.

6. wooster182 says:

Katee Sackoff needs to be in this…

7. Yes I like the sound of both these shows but like someone said, please add Lucy Lawless to one of these shows.

8. JASon says:

JAmes MArsters as a general in the army versus the aliens!!!

9. I'm There! says:

So, basically, like Spartacus, its a lot of blood and gratuitous sex, but set a couple thousand years into the future. Awesome.

10. ArcaneW says:

These shows sound so awesome that both being in development seemed like an april’s fools joke to me.

Also, get Amy Friggin’ Acker in one of these. I want her back on tv, am I the only one that wants her back on tv? Make her a vampire or something, she can be creepy.

11. zad says:

“Incursion” sounds kinda like Starship Troopers.

12. Elaine says:

Welcome back to series TV J. Michael Straczynski. I’m a huge fan of Babylon 5 – was my favorite sci-fi series ever (inching out STNG, but only by 1/2 inch). I really enjoyed the long-term story, amazing character development, and considering the shi**y budget, pretty damn decent effects. Looking forward to Vlad just to see what JMS will do with it.

• Jeff Spaulding says:

If Straczynski’s comic book work is any indication, he’ll get bored with the story/argue with his bosses halfway through and quit.

13. Kevin H says:

How would I go about getting starz?