TNT Renews Falling Skies for Season 3

Get More: News, Renewals

TNT has announced its third renewal in as many weeks, granting a Season 3 order to Falling Skies.

The Steven Spielberg-produced Sunday night sci-fi drama debuted last summer as cable’s most-watched premiere, and last month opened Season 2 with an audience of 4.5 million total viewers.

The 10-episode Season 3 will premiere next year.

Just recently, TNT renewed Rizzoli & Isles (for a Season 4) and the freshman sudser Dallas, and prior to that gave Southland a Season 5 pick-up.

Among the cabler’s other dramas, The Closer is wrapping up its seven-year run (feeding straight into the spin-off Major Crimes), Perception just premiered, Franklin & Bash is in the midst of its sophomore run, Leverage returns this Sunday and David E. Kelley’s Monday Mornings medical drama is somewhere on the horizon.

Comments (40)

• Now I DO watch it but I have to admit: my immediate impression on reading the title was; Why?

Comment by John – July 11, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same here the title seems a litte odd

Comment by 2Dayy parker – July 13, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i git it,because alins come from the sky, and it is like the sky is, wait you guys are right it is odd :P

Comment by Hamster20780 – July 23, 2012 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Watch the season 2 finale and you will see why its called falling skies and why are the seasons only 10 eps so short nothing evergets done and we cant get to like anyone cuz when the bond builds and you start rooting for them and getting into the show bam! Its over and you have to wait a year tO forget everything and end up not watching

Comment by Danny kasper – August 19, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • still no word on Franklin and Bash?

Comment by ggny – July 11, 2012 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think they said it was canceled.

Comment by skilman – July 11, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is no word yet on F&B. It is not cancelled. I guess last season it was renewed towards the end so I am hoping for the same.

Comment by Susie – July 11, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • dah they did

Comment by 2Dayy parker – July 13, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • An unexpected yet positive(?) surprise.

The first season was weak but it ended on a high so I kept watching but didn’t really want to get invested to much with the second season as I feared it was really heading for cancellation.

Comment by Natte – July 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I thought the first season was pretty good. And the ratings for cable have been pretty good last season and this season. I expected the renewal decision to be pretty easy.

Comment by Sg.Grant – July 11, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I quit watching this bad show last season.

Comment by Velvet – July 11, 2012 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should give season 2 a shot. It’s a vast improvement on the first season.

Comment by Kara – July 11, 2012 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think I read somewhere that they switched writers and if they did, it does show some.

Comment by Annika – July 11, 2012 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve tried to watch Franklin & Bash and it doesn’t interest me no matter which guest stars they secure.

Comment by Velvet – July 11, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am highly anticipating Leverage this Sunday.

Comment by Velvet – July 11, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! Hopefully Leverage gets picked up for another season after a few episodes too.

Comment by mandy – July 11, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t watch Dallas way back when and I have no plans to watch it now.

Comment by Velvet – July 11, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will give Perception a try again next week.

Comment by Velvet – July 11, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good! I like this show, and I like Noah Wyle. They need to get rid of Tom’s youngest son, though. Or send him to acting classes.

Comment by TL – July 11, 2012 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Franklin & Bash gets renewed. Love that show.

Comment by Kasper F. Nielsen – July 11, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Never thought I’d be watching more shows on TNT than on CBS, ABC, or NBC! Noah Wyle is what attracted me to Falling Skies but the story keeps me coming back. Now if they’d just find someone besides Wil Wheaton to do aftershow, that would be good.

Comment by Linderella – July 11, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Falling Skies. I really think it found a way of telling a serialized alien invasion story that doesn’t get bogged down by the fact that it is an alien invasion story. I enjoy the character dynamics immensely.

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch – July 11, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • By returns next year, does that mean 2013, or does it mean we definetly have to wait til next summer. I like the way USA brings White Collar, a summer show, back in January ish as well. I get production demands, but 40 weeks is a long time to be off the air.

Comment by Gilda – July 11, 2012 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The press release simply says “2013,” but let’s be real — it’ll be next summer, as tradition.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – July 11, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank god I was so worried that it wouldn’t get renewed!

Comment by lostie48 – July 11, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about F&B ? Love that show and it has good ratings compared to last year. TNT what is taking so long ?

Comment by Susie – July 11, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a surprise at all. The show has solid ratings for TNT. It is amusing to watch the haters act all shocked though.

Comment by AJ – July 11, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to like this show, but even after seeing practically the entire first season, it hasn’t convinced me to keep watching. But congrats to those of you who do watch. It always feels good to get a renewal.

Comment by nicole – July 11, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I’m enjoying Falling Skies, but I wonder if Jericho would have done better if given the chance to be on cable, because that was better in comparison.

Comment by Joe – July 12, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ya dooder! Jericho was AMAZING but I am pleased with Falling Skies so… They could have rid the network of some other bs show!!

Comment by Christopher – January 6, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show is getting stronger as it goes on. I’m hopeful that with Season 3 now locked in, the writers can sharpen and complicate the story and get away from the more sudsy stuff.

Comment by Dave – July 12, 2012 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the firt season it was like ,ok, but this season is giting better and better. i like that ben is helping the sciters. i just cant wait to see what they have for us next!!!!!

Comment by Hamster20780 – July 23, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Falling skies. Best I’ve seen in awhile. Hope they continue to renew it. So many shows about the time you get into then they take them off the air. Great show. Thanks TNT!

Comment by Ted Capps – August 19, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may be one of the few, but Franklin and Bash consistently amuses me. I would be sad to see it go as it is great summertime cable dramady fair.

Comment by e. – August 21, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show I am glad it got renewed, wish we didn’t have to wait so long between seasons.

Comment by neka – August 23, 2012 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love everything about falling skies, the names says so much. I can’t wait for the new season in 2013 ..

Comment by jackie mccormick – September 30, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My FAVORITE shows were V and The Event – neither of which lasted more than 20 episodes… after that – who cares? So then I started watching Falling Skies because there wasn’t anything else in the Sci-Fi genre I liked (and this one had to grow on me) and now they say there is a season 3 but its March already and still no season 3??? TV sucks these days… maybe THAT’S the lesson I should glean from all of this – stop watching this crap! Go outside – get some fresh air – work in the yard – go for a run… ha!

Comment by Luther – March 11, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post