TNT Renews Falling Skies for Season 3

TNT has announced its third renewal in as many weeks, granting a Season 3 order to Falling Skies.

The Steven Spielberg-produced Sunday night sci-fi drama debuted last summer as cable’s most-watched premiere, and last month opened Season 2 with an audience of 4.5 million total viewers.

The 10-episode Season 3 will premiere next year.

Just recently, TNT renewed Rizzoli & Isles (for a Season 4) and the freshman sudser Dallas, and prior to that gave Southland a Season 5 pick-up.

Among the cabler’s other dramas, The Closer is wrapping up its seven-year run (feeding straight into the spin-off Major Crimes), Perception just premiered, Franklin & Bash is in the midst of its sophomore run, Leverage returns this Sunday and David E. Kelley’s Monday Mornings medical drama is somewhere on the horizon.

1. John says:

Now I DO watch it but I have to admit: my immediate impression on reading the title was; Why?

• 2Dayy parker says:

same here the title seems a litte odd

• Hamster20780 says:

i git it,because alins come from the sky, and it is like the sky is, wait you guys are right it is odd :P

• Danny kasper says:

Watch the season 2 finale and you will see why its called falling skies and why are the seasons only 10 eps so short nothing evergets done and we cant get to like anyone cuz when the bond builds and you start rooting for them and getting into the show bam! Its over and you have to wait a year tO forget everything and end up not watching

2. ggny says:

still no word on Franklin and Bash?

3. Natte says:

An unexpected yet positive(?) surprise.

The first season was weak but it ended on a high so I kept watching but didn’t really want to get invested to much with the second season as I feared it was really heading for cancellation.

4. Velvet says:

I quit watching this bad show last season.

5. Velvet says:

I’ve tried to watch Franklin & Bash and it doesn’t interest me no matter which guest stars they secure.

6. Velvet says:

I am highly anticipating Leverage this Sunday.

7. Velvet says:

Didn’t watch Dallas way back when and I have no plans to watch it now.

8. Velvet says:

I will give Perception a try again next week.

9. TL says:

Good! I like this show, and I like Noah Wyle. They need to get rid of Tom’s youngest son, though. Or send him to acting classes.

10. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

I really hope Franklin & Bash gets renewed. Love that show.

11. Linderella says:

Awesome news! Never thought I’d be watching more shows on TNT than on CBS, ABC, or NBC! Noah Wyle is what attracted me to Falling Skies but the story keeps me coming back. Now if they’d just find someone besides Wil Wheaton to do aftershow, that would be good.

12. I love Falling Skies. I really think it found a way of telling a serialized alien invasion story that doesn’t get bogged down by the fact that it is an alien invasion story. I enjoy the character dynamics immensely.

13. Gilda says:

By returns next year, does that mean 2013, or does it mean we definetly have to wait til next summer. I like the way USA brings White Collar, a summer show, back in January ish as well. I get production demands, but 40 weeks is a long time to be off the air.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The press release simply says “2013,” but let’s be real — it’ll be next summer, as tradition.

14. lostie48 says:

Oh thank god I was so worried that it wouldn’t get renewed!

15. Susie says:

What about F&B ? Love that show and it has good ratings compared to last year. TNT what is taking so long ?

16. AJ says:

Not a surprise at all. The show has solid ratings for TNT. It is amusing to watch the haters act all shocked though.

17. nicole says:

I really want to like this show, but even after seeing practically the entire first season, it hasn’t convinced me to keep watching. But congrats to those of you who do watch. It always feels good to get a renewal.

18. Joe says:

While I’m enjoying Falling Skies, but I wonder if Jericho would have done better if given the chance to be on cable, because that was better in comparison.

• Christopher says:

Ya dooder! Jericho was AMAZING but I am pleased with Falling Skies so… They could have rid the network of some other bs show!!

19. Dave says:

The show is getting stronger as it goes on. I’m hopeful that with Season 3 now locked in, the writers can sharpen and complicate the story and get away from the more sudsy stuff.

20. Hamster20780 says:

the firt season it was like ,ok, but this season is giting better and better. i like that ben is helping the sciters. i just cant wait to see what they have for us next!!!!!

21. Ted Capps says:

Falling skies. Best I’ve seen in awhile. Hope they continue to renew it. So many shows about the time you get into then they take them off the air. Great show. Thanks TNT!

22. e. says:

I may be one of the few, but Franklin and Bash consistently amuses me. I would be sad to see it go as it is great summertime cable dramady fair.

23. neka says:

Love the show I am glad it got renewed, wish we didn’t have to wait so long between seasons.

24. I love everything about falling skies, the names says so much. I can’t wait for the new season in 2013 ..

25. Luther says:

My FAVORITE shows were V and The Event – neither of which lasted more than 20 episodes… after that – who cares? So then I started watching Falling Skies because there wasn’t anything else in the Sci-Fi genre I liked (and this one had to grow on me) and now they say there is a season 3 but its March already and still no season 3??? TV sucks these days… maybe THAT’S the lesson I should glean from all of this – stop watching this crap! Go outside – get some fresh air – work in the yard – go for a run… ha!