Ratings: The Closer Slips Heading Into the Finish, Perception Is Cable's No. 2 Series Launch

It was a good enough beginning of the end for TNT’s The Closer, which resumed its seventh and final season on Monday night with 6.1 million total viewers — the largest audience for a returning summer drama — and 1.2 mil landing in the coveted 18-49 demo.

Although that marks a drop of 15 percent in audience from Season 7’s year-ago launch, it is on par with the procedural’s winter 2011 finale.

RATINGS | Newsroom Hits High, Good Afternoon America Looks So-So, GMA Tops Tweaked Today

Perception led out of that with a debut audience of 5.6 million viewers — aka cable’s No. 2 series launch of the year, trailing only TNT’s own Dallas (and edging out FX’s Anger Management). The Eric McCormack-fronted drama held onto 1.1 mil of The Closer‘s 18-49 crowd, while its delivery of adults 25-54 (1.5 million) ranks No. 2 this year (behind Dallas) for a cable drama launch.

1. abby says:

enjoyed both shows last night. last night’s return for The Closer was bittersweet – I can’t wait to see where the next 5 eps go… but hate to see it end. LOVED Perception! Eric McCormack’s schizophrenic professor is gonna make me laugh while breaking my heart, I can already tell.

2. Sg.Grant says:

So between Psych, the Mentalist, and Perception, I can watch some quirky crime solving all year.

3. Mrs. Peele says:

I enjoyed the new series Perception. He’s like a combination of Monk, Psych, Mentalist, CSI and Numbers. I enjoy trying to figure things out and love twists. I hope the show makes it. I feel sad that the Closer is ‘closing’ because I will miss all the characters and the different backgrounds, ages and experience in dealing with these Major Crimes over the years. I think though that Brenda Lee is behaving very emotionally and she was really blown away when the person she insisted was the murderer turned out not to be. Devastation! I do hope though that when it ends she and Fritz will eventually have a little addition. Loved her mom and dad too!

4. Lola says:

I was disappointed in Perception. I was looking forward to watching it but I turned it off midway through. I didn’t find the writing particularly smart or entertaining. Really disappointed.

5. Amber Chapel says:

How stupid were the writers of Perception to alienate half of their viewing audience (maybe more than half) by using George W Bush to certify their “lie detector”.

6. Robin says:

They used bill Clinton too.

7. farsia2010 says:

i love closer but there was a sense of alienation of all the team members from each other. they still did what they needed and followed her but it was as if sb switched the light off in all of them not to mention bottled up anger and frustration in Brenda which is bound to explode at some point.

as for perception, i am undecided, i think i like it, i love Eric McCormack. the prob for me is that there are so many shows with the same formula (police/FBI team plus an eccentric yet genius consultant) that it is hard to be really grabbing and original. it reminds me a little of “Monk” slash “the Mentalist”. but i am definitely sticking around for now.
    and also Rachael Leigh Cook is awful in this role, she is empty and has no intellectual depth to her. it is impossible to buy that she was his star student and is smart enough to impress him. i saw her in movies before and she is a weak actress, cute yes but nothing special, and thx the Gods they made her wear pants because she has terrible legs. i know that legs are not the most important thing here and i wouldn’t care if everything else was on par, but there is nothing really good that i can say not about her looks nor about her acting.

8. Elyse says:

i <3 TNT.

9. Mom2Zachary says:

So far the best shows are on TNT and The Food Network.