Sons of Anarchy First Look: Will [Spoiler] Push Jax Over the Edge In Season 5?

FX has unveiled its first look at Sons of Anarchy‘s fifth season (to bow in September), and it looks as though Gemma’s increasingly dominant presence in Jax’s life will take a major — and near-fatal? — toll.

The dream-like teaser finds the motorcycle-riding Sons, led by their newly-crowned king, encountering a distraught Gemma in the middle of the road. Jax, in an attempt to avoid colliding with his mother (and also with girlfriend Tara, who stands nearby), swerves and is catapulted off a cliff. And to add insult to some serious injury, the dethroned Clay looks on, content as can be.

RELATED | Sons of Anarchy‘s Charlie Hunnam: Season 5′s Jax Probably Won’t Be ‘Crying as Much’

Press PLAY below to watch the ominous promo, and then hit the comments with your own theories on what it all means.

TAGS:
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, First Look, Trailers and Promos, Video

1. AJ says:

I think they should probably put some metal guardrails on that bride. Doesn’t look safe at all. :P

2. gretchen says:

i think it’s more metaphorical than literal

3. MIKE says:

GEMMA IS INTERFERING WAY TOO MUCH IN JAX’S LIFE. SHE NEEDS TO DISAPPEAR.

4. Whooooooooo says:

Looks like Bobby won’t be spending much time in jail….

• Kitty says:

i loved how he did the gutiar and sang that song for the ending omg even katies singing is so awesome to bad they only use 1 song from her for each season for a certain episode i was told u can watch it now on project free tv.com theres 3 eposides right now on there i havent seen any but was just told that now.

5. Doubtin' my own eyes says:

There’s no way anyone is going to ride with Clay again. Its gotta be a dream.

6. Mía says:

One thing I take from this clip, SoA has awakened my love for Americana music. I feel like this show has been gone forever

7. Rachel says:

It has to be a dream of some sort. I cannot wait for September. So curious on how relationships are going to change and evolve.

• Rhonda says:

yea got to b a dream the show wouldn’t b nothing without Jax n there music is awsome!!! can’t wait to see the show again!!!!

• Kitty says:

yea me to i cant wait i was so shocked that jemma did that and hid the letters that wanted her ex hubby dead, it sucks thou without opies dad piney. how will they fill that void? killing off mayjor players like that and will we see more of ireland now to since moe started all this riffed between them with those letters she sent back with jax. will we see the the exacution of Otto? i was even hoping the ex cop was gonna join the bikers to and ride with them, excellent job to kurt and all cast members love u all

8. Francine says:

Can’t wait to see my Queen Gemma create some drama. LOVE HER. Katey is brilliant playing Gemma.

• Kitty says:

yes katey is so brilliant grew up watching her and im 44 yrs old love her on any show shes in and kim coates whata babe did anyone see jaxs new movie the ledge? good but sad movie liv tyler is not so pretty as tara its like they ugllgerly her down for that movie with him. seen all the movies kim and ron have done hes come a long way to since beauty and the beast. wow. did u see in 3rd season dvd where he says he hates riding motor cycles i was so shocked to hear that when he rides so well.

9. Isabelle says:

Kurt is a freakin genius, simple. I love this tease, it gets us fans to think. It looks like Jax loses his way when having to chose between the two important women in his life, I cant wait and I really hope Gemma isnt crucified. I love their relationship as mother and son.

10. Ali says:

I would love to see Adam Baldwin on SOA. My world would be complete.

11. Kris says:

I think Jax is being chased by the club, not leading them, and is trying to get to Tara on the other side of the bridge (a life away from SAMCRO, like they wanted in season 4). But Gemma steps in between, trying to stop him, and makes him fall. That’s just my take. CANNOT WAIT for season 5, I know it’s gonna be incredible.

12. biker says:

Jax was having a bad dream

13. Snsetblaze says:

I recently started watching this show and am through season 3 (got them from the library). Anyone know when the DVDs for Season 4 are going to be out. The last I checked, my library did not have them. I keep looking for repeats on FX (since they repeat everything) but the repeats I have seen are for season 1 and 2.

• Mike says:

Like most shows, it’ll probably be out within a month or couple weeks of the premiere of the new season. So, if season 5 is September, they should be out in August some time. I feel your pain, we did the same thing last summer with SOA. lol Great show and season 4 is a great season! I just looked it up on Amazon, it’ll be out 8/28.

• Mike says:

BTW, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a marathon airing of season 4 right before the premiere of season 5 either. They did the same thing last year and I was able to catch a few on my TiVo (less Netflix discs to get as it wasn’t immediately available on streaming lol). If you have a DVR, set it to pick up reruns too! :-)

• Sara says:

Season 4 is out on amazon… I downloaded it a while ago!

• Laurel says:

FX is currently airing SOA in it’s entirety 2 – 3 episodes at a time every Thursday morning from around 2 to 5 am.
      That’s why the repeats you were seeing in you local listings were for seasons 1 & 2.
      This week they are airing the season 2 finale and the first episodes of season 3.
      Season 4 will start in a couple of weeks.

A little SOA is better than NO SOA.

• Kimberly says:

August 28th is when Season 4 comes out on DVD. Or at least that is what is posted here: http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/releases/2012/8/DVD-Releases-August-2012.html

• julie says:

if you watch they will have a marathon either the same day of a few days before and you could watch then all back to back..

• H Gardner says:

Couldn’t wait for the DVD release on August 28. Just bought it on Amazon, all of season 4 live streaming for $21 bucks. Totally worth it.

• Shan says:

Amazon has had season 4 has had seas 4 for quite some time.

14. Linda says:

I hate to wish the summer away, but I can’t wait for this season of SOA to start.

15. simon says:

deffo a bad dream for jax lol wouldnt be surprised to see a clip of him caught in the top of the trees that are ( rather coincidently) all round the bridge :) and a shot of clays disappiontment when he see him virtually unharmed :))

16. Amber says:

Maybe this a metaphoric dream? Didnt Jaxs father die in a bad accident that was devised by Gemma and Clay?

17. Tim says:

Even though Gemma trys to help jax, she tends to do more harm then good. Clay and co. might try to push him over the edge…. meta, not literal of course.

18. There are some characters that cannot be killed Jax is one of those.

19. Tiffers says:

If I remember correctly,isn’t this where Papa John Teller was killed?

20. Ghfhhdjx says:

It’s probably her guilt from JT’s murder. 1 Teller died because of Clay and she fears the same will happen to her son

21. Dave says:

I think its a dream of Jax, gemma and tara are on the road by themselves no car nearby just the two of them on a empty road. why would they be there doing. by themselves

22. Terry says:

Jem is havign a nightmare.

23. Pamela says:

Hey Clay to bad its only a dream eh !!! Has to be Clays dream of making Jax Tara and Gemma pay for screwing him. Notice the look on Clays face in the clip ..

24. It is what it is. Gemma trying to exercise control over Jax, and he would rather drive off a cliff than to face the conflict resolution process. Which is to bitch slap her into the reality of the kindoms pecking order. Jax intends to follow the natural order of placing his old lady before all others. Something Clay didnt grasp.

25. Dave Henshaw says:

Typical of American soaps, it will turn out Clay be Jax real dad, Tara will be Jax sister, and at least one club member will be discovered to be gay. This show is great but has more twist than my penne pasta.

26. Neil A Heywood says:

Nothing the “Special Force’s” didn’t do during WW2, they would jump out of planes without a chute & land in the tree tops. Mind you it will be “Can I have a new bike please” but hay this is T.V so it might end up with Jax in the shower. I have watched from the beginning, still watching & that has to mean I like it. Neil ‘H’ West London, England.

27. macho says:

Well you guys know they allways talk about the brakes on John Teller bike was the cause for the accident kills him that I think is a dream from Gema being worry his son die like his father as consecuences of his accions agains the king

28. cruzin couger says:

have u tried, net flix or u-tube?

29. cruzin couger says:

my take on the clip is.., this is clays dream. check out his, yep… still the club leader, smirk.

30. alex Salpietro says:

has no one been paying attention to past shows…. this is how jaxs real dad supposedly “died.” in reality its clay that kills him on that bridge and makes it look like and accident.

31. Heather says:

OK ~ so my 2 Cents to throw out into the void. I do not believe this is a clip from an actual episode of the next season. No dream, nothing literal ~ so not actually a trailer of something you will see this time around. Just a metaphorical dramatization of what to expect this season ~ which is what has already been the main underlining plot lines since the show started …

Tara standing ahead of his path, ~ but still on the side and forever desperate to catch him along the way. Jax ~ finally seeing her and as always ~ in those few moments of clarity tries to reach her. But just as he does,. Gemma forcefully throws herself between them ~ throwing him off balance and manipulating his attention elsewhere ~ metaphorically destroying him or throwing him off his path. And the club in the rear at a complete standstill with no expression, no emotion, and no desire to help. Close up on Clay’s face as other members look upon him following this scene ~ a reference to how Jax’s father died.

• Heather says:

Oh ~ meant to add on the last line that it also symbolizes that Jax is under threat of suffering the same end at the hands of Clay. Guessing we are all expecting Clay to be a serious and constant threat this season.

32. shawna says:

It’s a bad dream jax or Tera is having bout the constant push ans pull of who is gonna be number 1in jax life. .. the Club. Or his Personal life with Tera and the kids

33. sandra says:

ok so it must be a mother nightmare she is having after all what the hell are those women doing in the middle of a fricking bridge????

34. jacob says:

when will season 5 of SOA start?

35. 만난지 얼마나 되었다고 오버하시네