First Look: Walking Dead Unveils Season 3 Key Art Featuring Rick, Michonne and The Governor

AMC gave Walking Dead fans a pre-Comic-Con treat Friday when it unveiled key art for the zombie drama’s upcoming third season (launching in October) — but who’s front and center on the promotional piece this time around?

RELATED | Walking Dead First Look: [Spoiler] Is Back!

Packmaster Rick (played by Andrew Lincoln) is, per usual, the centerpiece of the shot; however, he’s no longer alone or surrounded by walkers. The Season 3 art instead finds the sometime-martyr flanked by the series’ newest imports: the sword-wielding mystery woman named Michonne (Danai Gurira) and the yet-to-be-seen, feather-ruffling Governor (David Morrissey).

Take a peek at the photo below, and then hit the comments with your thoughts on the killer First Look. And don’t forget to tune in to AMC this weekend (beginning Saturday, July 8) to catch up on The Walking Dead‘s first two seasons and see a never-before-broadcast, black-and-white version of the pilot episode.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, First Look

1. Kat says:

I’m not really exited for Season 3 actually. Will they spend ENTIRE season in that jail or whatever they are going with that Governor guy? I feel they will. Wasn’t this enough that they tortured us with that farm entire S2? Movies or TV shows about zombies are fun because characters run all the time from zombies. They search for food. The try to survive. And not sit in stupid farm or jail. Where they never have to worry about food. Of course occasionally they will probably go out from jail to see some zombies and run from them. And then kill them in style.

Now they will spend season with Governor. And we already know that he is some superbad guy. And I’m already bored from it. I’m sure he will be the “Hershel” of the season and will give some 15-minutes boring speeches about nothing in every episode.

Killing off that major character in S2 was very stupid. At least he was giving show tense.

• Wyrus says:

I’m guessing you didn’t read the comic?
      Season 3 and if not even season 4 will be in “that jail” and will have “that govenor guy”.
      I personaly loved that part in the comic, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one.

• Natasha Romanoff says:

I just read this… Yeah they’re gonna be in that jail probably throughout quite a few seasons…. You’re right, if you read the comic It’s gonna be awesome! I got the comic from my fiance a couple of years ago and LOVED IT! Michonne is a badass! And the Governor!… Excited to see this! :-)

• AJ says:

Please just stop watching the show. You obviously can’t be bothered to read the comics or you would know The Farm and The Prison take up huge chunks of them. And you obviously have no clue about just how bad the Governor is. It won’t be 15 minutes of boring speeches nor is he ANYTHING like Herschel. They go into the prison for the exact reasons you said. For protection. It has a fence, and once it is cleared of Zombies they are safe to live inside it and only have to venture out for food. If that annoys you then stop watching now, because they live in one fenced off location or another currently. It won’t change. What major character are you upset about? Shane? Jesus he got killed off right off the bat in the comics. The return of Merle, who is not in the comics, is 10 times better than more of whiny Shane.

• What difference does it make if somebody reads the comics or not? Reading the comics or not doesn’t mean you can’t have an opinion on the show. The show has changed a ton of stuff from the comics and is it’s own entity. The vast majority of people watching this show do not read comic books, what difference does it make? People can’t have opinion on a comic book movie unless they’ve read the comic book? Dumb.

The farm did NOT take up as much of the comics as it did the TV show. Dragging the farm story out so long and adding in the season long search for Sophia was a terrible decision that drug the show down to a boring tedium that never picked up until the last couple of episodes.

And it seems pretty obvious that season 3 is going to diverge heavily from the comics. If it was following the comic, The Governor wouldn’t be around for at least 2 more seasons.

• Elyse says:

i didn’t read the comics and have no interest in reading them but i am excited for season 3!

2. tripoli says:

Agree with everything Wyrus and AJ said. Well done!

• AJ says:

I just hope what happens in the garage with Michonne goes down on the show, but it’s touchy territory on TV I imagine. Still though, that act and the repercussions are one of the highest points in the comic. Hope she gets to use that hammer and nail lol.

• tripoli says:

I’ve been wondering about how that might be done. It’s such a pivotal storyline that I can’t imagine they would leave it out. But as you said, it’s touchy territory, so who knows. I have a seething hatred for the Governor after reading the comics so I’d really like to see him get his, come season 3.

• Half-Blood Princess says:

I wonder too just how much the FCC will let AMC get away with, I cringed at the fingernail part when I read it in the comics, that whole part with Michonne’s revenge on the governor was so graphic I was like OMG what in the heck did I just read. Kat you need to be quite because you have no ideal what you’re talking about, I’m sick of people who haven’t read the comics whining about season three sucking when they don’t even know what’s going to happen.

3. Drak Perry says:

i dont like this governor guy , it looks like crap!!!!

4. Moff. says:

Anyone else notice that he is reaching behind his back towards a machete? Good promo shot.

5. Danson says:

And while you complain about what has not even happen yet in season 3…. I put money on it that this show you are so bored with is already set for a season pass on your dvr… (if you have one) and you will watch this whole “boring season” so that u can keep complaining about it… lol

Im looking foward to this and Dexter. Bring it on.

6. Tweed says:

Eff all the comic snobs on this post. It’s nice to see you guys are so inviting to new fans. If everyone who didn’t read the comic stopped watching it would have lasted one season. What a bunch of dicks.

• Natasha Romanoff says:

I’ve seen movies that were far worse than this… Dawn of the Dead anyone? Uh they stayed in a freakin Mall the whole movie, and it was just ridiculous except for them shooting zombies that looked like celebrities…. and the zombie baby!! That entertained the hell out of me! Not too much action.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/
      It’s like the Resident Evil movies… http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120804/
      Do they ever have a plot? No, not really….All action, ……blah blah blah about the T virus, and Umbrella Corps…. and it ends with her kicking their ass and people dieing and then they come back somehow in the next movie… and she does it all over again. But damn do Milla Jovovich, and Ali Larter look hot doing their thing! lol
      I mean there was a kid called K-Mart in one of the movies….( How…. creative) gotta say though, they finally did the zombie bird thing that no one else has touched, I kept saying the birds would have the “virus” or whatever they want to call it. I mean the animals did.. …
      ANYWAY… BACK TO THE POINT.. (SORRY)

I don’t think they’re trying to be “Comic” snobs… But if you’re gonna bitch about something you know nothing about, be prepared to hear about it from people that do…. Hell most of the people that watch the show don’t even know it was a comic in the first place….. I personally think the comic was way better than the show so far… But there is only so much you can get away with on reg TV. Also it’s exciting to comic fans bc the whole book was in B&W….. So seeing all of the cool characters in action and in color rocks! Not that once you get sucked into the comic that you even notice that it’s B&W….
      eh, just watch the show and forget about the negative people…. who cares what everyone else thinks…. It’s just a TV show about zombies, how hard can that be to follow people!….

Everyone has zombie fever now…. Wonder what’s next? wow I really rambled on this one…. SORRY!!! :-)