Alphas Welcomes Back Summer Glau, Recruits Sean Astin, Lauren Holly and Others

Alphas Season 2 Summer GlauSyfy’s Alphas has lined up a slew of guest stars for Season 2, including cult favorite Summer Glau, The Lord of the Rings vet Sean Astin and NCIS‘ Lauren Holly.

RELATED | Syfy Sets Dates for Eureka Series Finale, Warehouse 13 Premiere, Shifts Lost Girl

The sci-fi drama revolves around a secret group of normal people with extraordinary mental and physical abilities. Glau (Firefly, Dollhouse), who was previously introduced as the super-intelligent Skylar Adams, will return for three Season 2 episodes.

Astin meanwhile will appear as Roland, an Alpha with a bizarrely absorptive brain that allows him to assume the memories of others and then replay them like a tape recorder. Holly will play a senator with mysterious ties to a member of the clandestine organization.

Also on the docket for Season 2 are C. Thomas Howell (Southland) as an Alpha with super-speed abilities who has revenge on the mind and returning guest stars John Pyper-Ferguson (Caprica) and Kathleen Munroe (SGU Stargate Universe), playing “Perfect Alpha” Stanton Parish and Dr. Rosen’s (David Strathairn) empath daughter Dani, respectively.

Alphas returns Monday, July 23 at 10/9c.

Comments (28)

• I’m thrilled that Summer Glau is returning to Alphas! I’d love it if she became a regular cast member of the show.

Comment by Mena – July 5, 2012 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *I was hoping she was in the running for Annie in Catching Fire. Doesn’t look to be true, though, if she’s returning for work on this show.

Comment by GDV – July 6, 2012 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Annie Cresta is never actually seen in “Catching Fire.” Therefore, in the movie adaptation, they really don’t need to cast Annie. The first time we see her is in “Mockingjay.” I won’t describe the scene to avoid spoilers for anyone who hasn’t read the book yet. That being said, this thought had never occurred to me, but now that you’ve mentioned it I think Summer Glau would be perfect for the part of Annie. She probably could have also played the part of Johanna Mason … but that part’s already been cast.

Comment by Matt – July 9, 2012 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I apologize. Upon further thought, Annie is seen briefly at the reaping for the 75th Hunger Games. Again, I won’t go into further detail to avoid spoilers for anyone who hasn’t read the books. But, that’s the only time she is seen in the books. We would have to see her briefly.

That being said, I meant to say this in my previous post. Summer Glau working on “Alphas” would not keep her from working on “Catching Fire” if she were cast as Annie. “Alphas” starts airing this month. They’ll probably be done with production by the end of August, if they’re not done already. “Catching Fire” doesn’t start filming until September and will be in Principal Photography through the end of December so Jennifer Lawrence can still work on X-MEN FIRST CLASS 2 which begins Principal Photography in January 2013. So, especially with Summer Glau only being in three episodes this season, I don’t see the possibility of any scheduling conflicts between the two.

Comment by Matt – July 9, 2012 08:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alphas got a ratings bump for Summer Glau’s episode in season 1. No surprise they want to bring her back for more episodes in season 2.

Comment by EatMorePez – July 5, 2012 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s right but to be honest, the ending of Summer Glau’s episode in season 1 shows clearly that the writers had in mind a possible return of ther character
      The ratings bump you mentioned definitively convinced them to hire Summer Glau for more episodes.

Comment by chrisdvannechrisdvanne – July 5, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “John Pyper-Ferguson (Caprica) playing “Perfect Alpha” Stanton Parish” awesome. can’t have a show about heroes without a great villain, and this character showed tons of potential for that.

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 5, 2012 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay, always nice to see Summer. Also looking forward to C. Thomas Howell (love him on Southland.) Now, how about getting Adam Baldwin to guest as well. That would be fun.

Comment by Ali – July 5, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show definitely got better as it went along. Looking forward to season 2, especially since my summer schedule is very light. Glad they have some big names coming in to give it some attention.

Comment by Deena – July 5, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to seeing Lauren Holly again!

Comment by arial2 – July 5, 2012 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. Can’t wait for it to come on.

Comment by tp – July 5, 2012 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ughh! I was glad Holly’s character got killed off in NCIS, now she’s in Alphas? I have to decide if I want to see more over-acting… or maybe I’ll just watch Revolution instead.

Comment by Chabitsta Jones – July 5, 2012 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch “Merlin, Warehouse 13, Eureka” and I did watch “SG1, Farscape” but I have not watched “Alphas.” Is it worth it?

Comment by bluebutterfliesandme – July 5, 2012 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Decide for yourself. Syfy is certain to rerun last year’s episodes en masse some time prior oto the start of the new season. I found it slower but more thoughtful and deliberate than other shows in the genre, but your mileage may vary.

Comment by Elf – July 6, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As a fan of Eureka, SG1 and Farscape, I can honestly say that Alphas is not on par with these but it’s improved a lot towards the end of season one. While it’s still a bit clunky, the actors are compelling and keep me coming back. It’s not ground-breaking but pleasant enough if you’re a fan of this genre.

Comment by Lisa London – July 6, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • defo if you liked those other dramas you’ll like this one. it’s like xmen in plain clothes.

Comment by howardx72 – July 19, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alphas is great! I’m not normally a fan of this type of show, but I fell in love with it.

Comment by Ashlyn – July 5, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Summer, but I hope she doesn’t become a regular. She’s got the cancellation curse.

Comment by Lee Jay Stura (@sanguinepen) – July 5, 2012 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What part about “She’s coming back” did you not understand? Does the curse works only for the second season?

On the opposite, Summer Glau’s guest appearance in season 1 got a ratings bumps.

Comment by chrisdvanne – July 5, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which part of ‘I hope she doesn’t become a regular’ didn’t you understand? Yes – she’s coming back to guest star on 3 episodes. Yes – I like her. Yes – Every show she becomes a regular on is canceled.

Comment by Lee Jay Stura (@sanguinepen) – July 6, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alphas won me over in Season 1 due to the talents Ira Steven Behr.

When Siffy dropped him as Showrunner, they basically lost all traction they’d previously built up…

It was a crap move on their part, but what should we expect from those Network Hacks.

Comment by The 4400 almost lived again... – July 5, 2012 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A kindred spirit who recognizes the value of Ira Steven Behr and what he did on “The 4400″! Nice to see you.

Comment by Muldfeld (@Muldfeld) – July 5, 2012 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Mahershalalhashbaz Ali as Clay? He was great. I fear “Alphas” without the political input of Ira Steven Behr will lose much of what made it special.

Comment by Muldfeld (@Muldfeld) – July 5, 2012 10:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew from fansite Summer Glau Wiki that she would return in Alphas this season, but three is beyond my expectations! Fantastic news!

Comment by Summer Glau admirer (@chrisdvanne) – July 5, 2012 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I *SO* wanted to like this show when it started. I watched all of Season 1, but I finally gave up at the end of the season.. it just turned into a mediocre X-Men clone. I just found it kind of dull at first, but I stuck with it… I love David Strathairn, have enjoyed several of the other actors in other shows, and several of the characters were interesting and had potential. But Strathairn’s character is too wimpy to be a good leader, the others were all doing more moping around than anything else. It just became laborious to watch. I can’t believe SyFy cancelled Eureka and then gave Alphas another season… REALLY should have been the other way around.

Comment by kmg – July 6, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That I agree on! Still not over the loss of Eureka…

Comment by Lisa London – July 6, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like it because they use their powers in such common uses,car blocking your driveway….just push it XD.Gary(?)is hilarious and worth watching just for him.

Comment by Shaun – July 6, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post