Hot Trailer: Lifetime's Steel Magnolias Remake

“They laughed together, they cried together and always stuck together” says the first trailer for Lifetime’s Steel Magnolias, which promises to cast the 1989 film in a new light.

From the producers of Chicago and Hairspray, the TV-movie remake features an all-African-American cast, including Oscar nominee Queen Latifah (who also executive-produces) in the Sally Field role, Emmy winner Alfre Woodard (True Blood) stepping in for Shirley MacLaine, Tony winner Phylicia Rashad (The Cosby Show) making like Olympia Dukakis and Grammy-winning songstress Jill Scott grabbing Dolly Parton’s spot.

RELATED | Lifetime Rescues Marc Cherry’s Devious Maids Sudser

Rounding out the female cast, Rashad’s real-life daughter (and recurring Smash player) Condola fills the Julia Roberts role, while newcomer Adepero Oduye subs for Daryl Hannah.

RELATED | First Look: Lindsay Lohan as Elizabeth Taylor for Lifetime’s Liz & Dick

Press PLAY below to check it the new Magnolias, premiering later this year.

1. Sam says:

Can’t wait to see this trainwreck.

Next can we have an all-Asian Do The Right Thing?

• Tonia M says:

Sure if that makes you feel better.

• Lynne says:

I’ll get right on that. Just so you can have an outlet for your blatant racism.

• Ruly says:

Why is she racist? The original would have been better of with a more diverse cast. The same goes for this one. In this day and age there should be no ‘all white’ or ‘all black’ or ‘all asian’ cast. This is a diverse world with all kinds of different people. TV and movies should reflect that.

• Kay says:

I agree with you and I’m a black woman. But it is done. And I will be watching. Queen Latifah is not in the same atmosphere as Sally Field though. Phylicia Rashad will do great as well Alfre Woodward. Everybody else? Not so sure-but Latifah has never impressed me. Ever, when it comes to acting.

• Louise says:

Why is there an assumption of racism if a cast is all black or all white for that matter? Just because the producer chose to cast these African American women it does not mean he/ she is racist or has no appreciation of diversity.

• Isa says:

Oh shut up.

• anna says:

It wont be a trainwreck, there are fabulous actors in this movie just like the original. I also think this could have been performed Bi-Racially but it isnt, just like the first one wasn’t. It is just a more modern remake of an amazing movie that many people my age (around 18) are not interested in watching due to the time it came out.

• Isabel says:

Seriously they would throw a fit if we remade so called Black movies into white movies. The Tyler Perry movies remade white….. yeah right!

• Pam says:

being a hater is not becoming. was the white version a trainwreck? other than the cast, everything else was the same. actually if you did your research, you would know that some of the same producers and directors worked on this same project

2. Kristina says:

Not loving this. Great cast, but why do TV networks feel the need to remake EVERYTHING?

• pam says:

That’s easy. They remake everything because no one has the creativity these days to come up with something new!

• Lu says:

Actually, I don’t think that’s true. I think networks think that if it works once it will work again in some form. So I think more a business decision than a lack of creativity.

• anna says:

They remake movies so movies that have real story lines, important life lessons in it, and affected tons of people when it first came out; can be regenerated, modern up a little bit, and presented to children, teens, and adults of the new generation. The only reason I watched the first Steel Magnolias is because I had to because I played Ouiser in my schools production of it. Not many, close to pretty much none of the teens my age, and the incoming adults of this world (in there 20’s) that I know have seen this movie at all, except for those who saw me perform it. Its a great idea to re-present it with a new modern, popular cast, that will appeal the audience of today.

• caitlyn says:

Full of yourself much? I’m in your age bracket, I’ve seen the original several times and loved it! The original is a classic! NO GOOD EXCUSE FOR A CHEAP MADE FOR TV REMAKE. No plans on watching.

• Tanaya says:

I am 21, never seen the original and I’m not at all excited about the remake. Might watch to see what all the hype is about but I am not going out of my way to see this program. If I catch it yay, if not….

3. Lo says:

While I love the actresses listed above, DON’T TOUCH Steel Magnolias! There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, it’s a classic! I’m sorry if it was made in an era when black actors were rarely cast in all-white films, but that’s tough! They already made an African-American Steel Magnolias, it was called Waiting to Exhale. And I think both films will be remembered as empowering for women, no matter what the actors’ race. I feel the same about The Joy Luck Club, incidentally.

• Mo says:

THIS!! (And this is coming from a black woman who loves those actresses and all three of those movies!)

• Lane Jay says:

Waiting to Exahale is more comparable to Sex in the City than Steel Magnolias. But I get your point. Also agree about The Joy Luck Club.

• Ana says:

Agree all the way! Why did they have to mess with a classic?? I wouldn’t want to see an all-white version of Waiting to Exhale or a Latin version of The Joy Luck Club. Don’t mess with perfection!!! I love this cast. Especially the Queen, but I will pass…

• Lucy says:

If they made a white version of Waiting to Exhale or Joy Luck Club, folks would really be screaming about racism
        I refuse to watch this remake not because it is ‘black’ but because Lifetime sucks at producing good stuff. On the rare occasion they air something they didn’t produce I go buy it from iTunes.

• CC says:

I’m so not happy about it either. First of all as a black female, I LOVE these actresses but I don’t think they bothered to understand the character dynamics before they casted. Queen would have made a better Truvee. Reuniting Angela Bassett and Keke Palmer as the fabulous Shelby and M’Lynn mother daughter dynamo would have been fabulous. I love Queen but I just don’t see how she can pull off Shelby’s pivotal death scene and bring her own spin to it. I think Jennifer Lewis could have portrayed Ouiser rather convincingly. Pairing her up with Phylicia Rashad as Clairee would have made another fabulous dynamo. Anelle is the wild card but you need a truly quirky but fun loving actress there perhaps someone like Cree Summer could have played this convincingly. The key to Steel Magnolias is the chemistry between the actresses plus putting everyone in the right role!

• Ms. Diva says:

I agree, lifetime should stop making movies. They are great for showing classics, and their original weekly shows are phenomenal! However in the “original movie” department they fall flat for me. If they are truly interested in making movies, I would LOVE to see a Strong Medicine 2 hour movie! That show was fabulous, and the ORIGINAL cast could star. For the record I love all the actresses for the Steel Magnolias remake, but no matter how good they are, I can’t imagine them bringing anything new to the characters.

• Lilly says:

THANK YOU.!!!!

• Louise says:

I’m a black woman as well. And I was a teen in the late 70’s. So I watched black and white television as a child. 8 track tapes were cool and my video games were in black and white and consisted of generic games like ping pong until Atari? came along. I love old black and white movies, and many of those classic films have been remade. It’s simply the nature of the business.

• Jeanne says:

All remakes suck. Such a beautiful classic should be left alone! The original had all white women because that was the era of the movie. These women would have all been friends in real life and they would not normally have had a black friend amongst them! That’s even part of the humor as they all portrayed silly southern women and then the tragedy , tears and close friendship that bonds them together. I feel bad for the Queen as it’s just not gonna work. Just look at the huge cast in the original ……..can’t beat them!

• Danny says:

I agree as well these are classics ..let them be…its not a black or white thing..its a money thing ..”lets remake steel magnolias and make some money..people please stop using your race card…We have enough of that in the world…let’s just watch the movie and post our thoughts about it…not about the colors of the people in it…:)

• B says:

AMEN Sistah!!!

4. leigh says:

Sigh…another remake.

5. Maggie says:

I think that if you’re going to do a remake, you should use the source material to tell a different story. And that seems to be the idea behind this movie. I’m excited to see this because it’s a familiar story told in a new way. If it was just a remake for the sake of remaking the film, I would be more hesitant.

• Alex says:

Different story? It’s like, line for line, remake of the movie with black actresses. That’s not telling a different story, that’s telling the exact same story which is somehow supposed to be more meaningful with more melanin?

6. J says:

I think it looks like a decent remake, and I will definitely watch it with an open mind. With a cast that fantastic, I have to believe that something good will come from it.

7. Rich says:

If they remade an all black movie with an all white cast people would be crying racism.

• Jennifer says:

I completely agree

• unicornwasp says:

what’s your point? are you offended by this remake?

also, the issue of racism would come up if that happened because there are already precious few roles for women of color, and so whitewashing a historically black film would feel like a step in the wrong direction.

• Samuel says:

Whitewashing a black film is a step in the wrong direction but this isn’t? And wrong, long ago there WERE precious few roles, now we have BET and Bounce where blacks proudly say “A Network For Us.” (Again, if a white person were on TV saying that, it would be horribly racist and completely un-PC). Point is, segregation of ANY kind is a step in the wrong direction.

• Brandi says:

I guess you don’t know why “we” have BET. Its because whites were saying “a network for us” w/o really saying it. It was called MTV. When it first aired, there were NO black musicians played for a long time. It wasn’t until Michael Jackson came and broke all musical barriers that they had no choice but to play him. And then came Prince and Tina Turner. Now we do have networks like TV Once and Centric that play new & old black tv shows like Martin, Living Single (feat Queen Latifah), The Jeffersons, Good Times and other all black shows that dont’ get picked up for syndication.

• Kara says:

They do, it’s called 99% of all movies.

• Isabel says:

So true. Everyone Would scream racism.

8. tvaddict says:

I love the actresses but it looks like the original movie but probably not as well done.

9. Kerrie says:

I think it sounds interesting. Definitely has a good cast. I don’t see anything wrong with a remake of Steel Magnolias with an African American cast. Americans remake British and Japanese movies/TV shows all the time. Besides it gives African American actors a vehicle to work their craft.

• Alix says:

The point is that the original story was good because it explored a specific dynamic, that of the “traditional” white “middle-class” women is a small southern town. While all the actresses cast in the remake are amazing, a complete remake of the same story, only with black women is just stupid. It misses the point. The traditional dynamics and cultural context is just different. Other good points made above is that some of the leads are really mis-cast. Latifah is one of my most favorite actresses. She has amazing range and scope, but I just don’t see her pulling off the Sally Feild role half as well. There is a fragility beniegh Sally’s strenght that makes you FEEL down in your soul her pain at her daughters death. I also have some major issues with re-making really great classic films. I am a huge classic film fan and remakes invariably fall short becuase modern film companies lack the craftmenship to pull off a truely great character driven film. When was the last time you saw an amazing film about people and their lives that didn’t rely heavily on blowing things up, sex or intrigue? I will watch the remake, but I am expecting to be deeply disappointed.

• Bree says:

So far, I’ve yet to see the FACT that “Steel Magnolias” is based on a true story about the author’s sister, the Julia Roberts role, Shelby. It’s a true story about a white family in the South…to remake it using an all AA cast is turning it into a non-classic untrue story. Can’t believe the author sold it for this. It’s almost like taking “A New World” (the discovering of this country at Jamestown, Virginia, you know with Pocahontas and John Rolfe and others) and remaking it with an all Asian cast. It would make it an untrue story. A piece of fiction, which Steel Magnolias is not.

10. Norma says:

Look forward to watching this, great cast !

11. Doug says:

When was Alfre Woodard in True Blood??? I must have missed that season….

• aleks says:

She played lafayette’s mom in season 3 and will be seen again this season I think!

• Felix says:

yea keep an eye out for her in this weeks episode she going to be reapearing i think for a couple of episodes

• Snsetblaze says:

Yea, I thought that was strange to list that as her credit since her part was relatively small. She has been in so much overall that would have sufficed instead. One of the Star Trek movies, Desperate Housewives, Passion Fish (where I think she was nominated for an Oscar), Memphis Beat etc., etc., etc.,

12. Grace says:

Is it really a remake of the first movie, though, or is it its own adaptation of the play? To me, calling it a remake is akin to calling Baz Lurhmann’s Romeo and Juliet a remake of Zeffirelli’s.

13. Videos not appearing for me, anyone got a Youtube link?

14. GS says:

Steel Magnolias is just one of those movies you don’t mess with….like Dirty Dancing. I love all these actresses. Waiting to Exhale and Soul Food are both awesome examples of ensemble movies that tell great stories from the black family perspective but to remake a beloved movie and just cast black actresses is just wrong. However, I will say they missed the boat on the Dolly character. Loretta Devine would be the best to do be “Truvy”.

• elr says:

That’s my biggest complaint too! Truvy looks younger than Anelle. Totally the wrong actress in that role.

• Ms. Diva says:

OMG I hadn’t thought of Loretta as Truuvy. That would actually make me watch this! She is a great actor, with the sass it takes to match Dolly’s version of this character. Jill Scott is a great singer and songwriter, but as much as I love her, I don’t think acting is her calling.

15. Becka says:

It doesn’t really matter that it was originally adapted as a play. The fact is that this is also a true story from a town I went to college in. The main character’s brother wrote the play as a tribute to his sister “Shelby”. She was a Phi Mu at Northwestern State University of Louisiana and the town was Natchitoches, Louisiana. I have a problem with them remaking the film. I love all the actresses involved in the remake…but let’s face it..shelby was a southern belle sorority girl…not african american. If they were crafting an offshoot to this story…I would support it 100% but not as a full on remake. I don’t think it’s necessary and not really sure it’s a good tribute to her memory.

Saying that though, I will at least try to watch it…and if I’m wrong…i will eat my words…but being that we were intimately involved with the story and the folks in it…makes it hard for me to change my mind.

• Alex says:

I had no idea that the original was based on a true story. That kind of makes the remake a really bad idea. It’s like, gee, sorry about your deceased daughter, but we think her story would be way more meaningful if we changed her race, and the race of her family and friends as well. You see, your dead child was just too pale to relate to… WTF?

• Grace says:

Having gone to school in Natchitoches doesn’t have anything to do with anything. I went to LSMSA so I did, too. The fact remains that whoever owns the film rights to the story had to allow this new movie to get made. I would wager that Robert Harling wouldn’t have sold the movie rights to the play in the 80s without keeping some sort of contractual say in what happens with it, so more than likely he supports this one or it wouldn’t be happening.

• Deidre says:

Ok Becka, personal connection aside…it sounds like your trying to say that african american women are not or cannot be southern belle, sorority girls. Being a certain color or race doesn’t make you a southern belle, its a way of life, how you carry your self. Not your race or color. Do your research, there are 8 black sororities all greek lettered. Though they are common on most american college/university campuses. In my opinion the southern universities and colleges truly go all out to represent their greek societies. (Iam from the north and I love where I am from)

I love the original, but personally I think a racially diverse cast would have been great. As a parent, I do like the idea of an all black cast because it reinforces what i am teaching my daughters (who are black, like me) that we can be and do anything we want. We have to work harder and hear no more often, but use it as fuel and don’t let anyone put you in a box. The world has lots to offer but it is not given to you, you have to earn it! I would say all of these black women are living outside the box!!!!

• Alix says:

Please, your arugment is ridiculouis. Of Course she was not implying that black women couldn’t be southern belle sorority girls. She stated the fact that the women about whom the story is about are not black and making them so, seem like a cheap way to pretend to be PC. Also how is changing the race of a character in a classic film empowering to women? New new ground has been broken. You are right about women being put into a box, all women, not just women of color. That is why we shouldn’t setttle for cheap token gestures like changing the race of a charater in a film. We need our young women to SEE empowered women by being those women and demanding that our female groundbreakers be recognized and their contribution be documented in films.

• CC says:

Becka, Thanks for sharing your connection to the original. I was aware that this play was dedicated to a real life Shelby and even as an African-American female, I too have an issue with this. It’s more due to the fact that I feel that they could have used a different spin and I just don’t have the impression that the director truly understood the roost of the original story. Nor did he cast everyone in the correct role. I do know several African American southern belles from Atlanta (think Whitley Gilbert from A Different World) but it takes an African-American to blend the two perspectives so that it is authentic. Stephen Spielberg brought “The Color Purple,” to life but he consulted and leaned on Quincy Jones in the process.

16. jrs says:

Stupid, stupid idea!!! Why, what is the frigging point? Most racist dumb idea I’ve heard in ages.

17. Meg says:

All I can think of is one of the final scenes after Shelby’s funeral and Sally Field just breaks down. I’m trying to picture Latifah doing that and I don’t know if I can take it seriously.

• Drewer says:

Totally agree, I’m not sure any actress can do that the way Feild can, I literally think it is the best acted scene in a movie ever. Also I’m sure Queen Latifa is about the same age Feild was when she did this, but I just have a really hard time picturing Quean Latifa as a grandmother.

18. Jellymoff says:

First, anyone calling this racist doesn’t understand what racism is. That being said, I don’t understand why they couldn’t have done this with a diverse cast. Why does it have it be “All Black” or “All White”. I don’t think it’s that unusual in this day and age for people to have friends of different races.

• Ruly says:

I said almost the exact same thing ! There’s no need for ‘all’ anything. It’s unrealistic. There are very few areas in America that are ‘all white’ or ‘all black’. Let’s stop with all this us vs. them crap.

• Deidre says:

No disrespect but where do you live? There are still places plenty of places in America where its all black and all white or hispanic or asian. I’m black and so is my family. When I visit my husbands family in the mountains of VA, I can tell where I am not wanted and expected to be. Sad but true, segregation still lives in America. I will agree that a more racially diverse cast would have been great but don’t believe the hype…..segregation does still exist.

19. Captain says:

I agree with the people who say don’t mess with a classic. There are certain movies you remake and there are ones you don’t. I have no problem with a movie being remade for a different racial group but no one wants to see an all-black Pretty Woman or an all-asian Titanic. Those are classics. Remake the bad movies white people didn’t get right.

20. broncfanwa says:

All-Black, All[-White, doesn’t matter. To me, what matters is that i’ve seen the movie, and if i want to see it again, why, i’ll just crank up the Blu-ray and watch the original. Why would i listen to an Elvis impersonator when i have Elvis himself on my music system; why would i read Dave Berry’s interpretation of the Old Man and the Sea when i have Hemingway’s on my bookshelf; and why would i watch the remake when i can see the original whenever i want to?

21. What’s next, an all white version of The Color Purple?

22. Kymberly says:

Not a fan of this AT ALL!!! If you’re going to remake it than fine but to do so w/ an all black cast is absurd-mix it up, make it for everyone. The original movie was based off of a play & was a well made adaptation…this is just nothing more than a waste of money….

23. rachel says:

Very frustrated by this news. I love all of the actress that are being cast in this “remake” … However, “Steal Magnolias” is based on the real life story of Susan Harling, the stage play was written by her brother Robert Harling and adapted to film. I don’t mind taking liberties with material that isn’t based on real life, but this story actually happened. EXTREMELY OUTRAGED BY THIS!!!!! I normally like the made for tv movies on lifetime, but this one will not be something I watch!

24. Danielle H says:

Tyler Perry for Lifetime! Essentially..

25. tp says:

I love how Sleeping Beauty is cast, of course she’s white, and all there is are applause. They remake something with an all black cast and people are “outraged”. When something is done with all black people suddenly it should be done “for everyone”. As a black female I am honestly tired of how white washed everything is. Why not make OUAT or any show for that matter with more people of color? I would like to see people that reflect me more than every once in awhile. There wouldn’t be a need for black people to produce anything with an all black cast if 90% of television wasn’t devoid of color.

• Deidre says:

Have to agree with you on that…unless your a person of color you don’t really understand what is like to not be represented on televison or movies. Contrary to popular belief RHOA and Basketball Wives is no where close to representing black women or hispanic women either!!!!!

• mj says:

Waiting to exhale was made by or for white folks.

26. tp says:

Why don’t I see all this OUTRAGE when the cast is all white?

27. Wow! It’s obvious that racism is still alive and well. i am a white male who resides in the area in which the original was set. I even would go down and watch them film scenes of the original in Natchitoches, La. I ADORE the original. That being said I am EXCITED to see this amazing cast take on what is a UNIVERSAL story. The love between a mother and child, friendship, laughter, tears and endurance are themes that are not race specific. It seems that even in 2012 some people need a big ole Southern dose of “GET OVER IT Y”ALL!”

28. tiffani says:

Okay,enough with hating I think anything that’s remade is fine its just the time has changed I luv old and new (can we say sparkle)very old I luv it and can’t wait until it come out,besides alot of people not even up on classic movies anyway so with that being said give it a chance white or black even purple who cares have a bless one.

29. tiffani says:

I wish people would stop being so racial rather its black or white these folks r making money and there getting paid regardless if we watch or not but the cast that they have this is gonna be hot becuz even the first one was great I luv Sally,Dolly and Julia my goodness and my girl Ms.Shirley mclane lets be real y’all but no other that’s remade is better then the first one.muah

30. I love you more than my luggage says:

Hated it!! snaps there’s no way…. i love movies Jill Scott is in, i like the lady who is Weezer in this preview, and queen latifah i cant see her here, she’s too young looking. Annelle oh hellz to the no, Annelle is not awkward enough in this preview, she looks normal.

• Felix says:

exactly to the whole annelle part ha because when she turns wild and free what she gunna look like, they might just go overboard when that part comes around

31. Matt says:

Okay, may I interject something…Steele Magnolias was originally a play…a play that has been done many times with MANY different casts…and like other plays or musicals, people will often see revivals or touring company’s…and this ideal is celebrated…however, when the same happens to a movie it gets panned before it premiers. Like a play this project is true to the original script and original story…what would be horrible is if the story was changed or we had a very simalar story with a different name…these things are annoying. We need to get over the ideal that we have to be so politically correct all the time..an all black cast reflect would you would generally see in life..women who have unspoken bonds. The beauty of it is that all white cast or all black cast the story is universal..and that’s the point I feel this is making. Chill out, watch it and enjoy the characters you know and love. And if you have nothing nice to say, come sit by me;o)

32. Felix says:

You know although this movie may come to a shock to the rest of the Steel Magnolias fans like it did to me, but it was bound to come due to the fact that now a days a lot of directors are doing reboots of old movies and shows like look at the new spider man movie, the new 90210 tv show but lets hope he does this justice, because honestly you cannot replace the all-star cast which was the original(caugh caugh Dolly Parton & Sally Fields), but we gotta give some credit to who the director is, he turned the best shows on Broadway to some of the movies that we can not all get enough of, he stayed true to both the story lines of the plays when he adapted them to the “big screen” but some stuff does get cut(lets hope nothing does here), but fingers crossed this is gunna be a good one filled with lots of armadillo grey iceing cake and all the laughs and scenes we dont want to see put to shame.

33. Tia says:

I think this would be great remake. I cant wait to see it. I just don’t see where all of the race things are coming in at. I think anyone could of remade it,black,white anyone. I think it would be a good as the original. And with the amazing women they have in it,it would be great. Phylicia,Queen,Alfre and Condola. Oh yeah mos def a great movie.

34. Telsa says:

I’m reading some real ignorant comments. I can’t wait for it to come out. I love the original movie and actually wrote and essay on it in h.s. I know I’m going to love the remake just as much. I’m glad they stayed on script instead of changing it. Super anxious

35. Nikki Shante says:

Does anyone know the name of the song playing at the end?

• Holly says:

It’s a modification of Nicki Minaj’s and Rihanna’s duet of “Fly”. I much prefer the version WITHOUT Minaj. I’d like to see the version on the commercial come out for sale. So much nicer!

36. Why are u guys putting us down so badly we’re not trying to take away from the original. Play or the movie maybe there is an African American family that went through the same thing that the Harling family suffered u never know and its not going to be a train wreck it will be inspiring. SO GOOD DAY #teammagnolias#

37. TYRONE says:

PEOPLE!!! DON’T WATCH IT FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO!! DAMN….. GET THE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS BACK ACTIVE OUTSIDE AND AWAY FROM THE TV!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH… IT’S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD PEOPLE!!!

38. Stephani says:

People are trippin’ over nothing. Did no one see the remake of Death at a Funeral? Both movies were very good. Keep calm and Carry On, folks.

39. Jilly says:

No matter if this were an all White, all Asian, all Latino, or mixed cast, you don’t mess with greatness! I knew what this was going to be before I saw the name of the show. The preview shows exact, verbatim phrases from the movie. I know it backwards and forwards. I was outraged when they tried (and failed) to make Dirty Dancing a TV show in the 80’s. Also, when they remade Psycho, Footloose, Karate Kid, the list goes on and on. I don’t care what race the actors are in these remakes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” I think all these actresses are wonderful but frankly, I think no one should’ve remade this classic movie; for tv or film.

40. Kim Fontenot says:

I love Queen Latifa and she is an amazing actress however how dare she remake my favorite classic movie. The original can not be outdone period! Leave the classics alone! What is next a remake of Casablanca or Gone with the Wind?

41. TLK says:

I don’t know what all the fuss is. If you don’t want to see it don’t watch it. Remakes are done all the time so I don’t know what all the fuss is about? So it was an all white movie and now it’s all black so what? It’s a new time and a new audience. Yes some movies can’t be remade because of the color barrier, for example most movies with all black cast can’t be remade by all white ones because white people haven’t experienced the same issues and conflicts that black people have and vice versa. But that should stop people from watching a movie. It should be about the content, not the color of its actors.

42. TLK says:

Excuse me – *but that shouldn’t stop people from watching*

43. Erica says:

It seems that there are many who think a remake of this movie is a bad idea. If that’s the case, a remedy to your issues is real simple…….DON’T WATCH!!!!! For those of you that appreciate good theatrical work. I’ll be alongside you tuning in. I can’t wait! I too enjoyed the original, bit am excited about the new cast bringing their talents to the screen to honor this movie. The fact that the cast is completely African-American is a moot point in my opinion. A good movie is a good movie is a good movie, period! Diabetes runs rampant through the African American community & is a leading cause of death among us. Focus on what’s REALLY important people & get your heads out of your own behinds!
    #thatsmy2cents

44. If Dolly Parton is excited, then so am I…

45. Isa says:

The same old double standard is sickening! My 5 year old asked after seeing the commercial for an all black dating website if there was an all white dating website. And what the difference was anyway. But if anyone says boo people start crying racism, the same old people every time, it’s getting so old!

46. Bel says:

Let’s remake all the Tyler Perry shows with nothing but white actors. Can you imagine the uproar. Same old double standard at work.

47. margie hampton says:

We all live on the same planet so any movie that portrays love, friendship an support for oneanother, is a good lesson to learn no matter who the actors are.

48. Ginger says:

They didn’t make it for everyone the first go round so what’s wrong with it. At the end of the day does this really matter? Just something else for people to gripe about. IMO, the reason they would not mix the cast for this movie is simply because white women and black women do not share the same hair salons and not because of segregation. In the days of segregation I am sure that very southern belle’ish black women had their little get together’s and bonded as well.