Exclusive

The Office Exclusive: Greek's Clark Duke In Talks to Join Season 9 Cast Amid Mini-Reboot

Clark Duke The OfficeFormer Greek pledge Clark Duke soon will be one of primetime’s upperclassmen.

The Kick-Ass actor is in talks to join The Office‘s upcoming ninth season as a series regular, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Details on his character are few and far between, but this much is known: he would be working at (duh) Dunder Mifflin. (If his alter ego is half as entertaining as the sexually inappropriate assistant he played on New Girl last season we’re all in).

RELATED | Steve Carell Not Returning to The Office — Find Out Why

As previously reported, The Office is set to undergo a mini-reboot this fall amid changes in front of and behind the scenes — including the departures of Fox-bound Mindy Kaling and showrunner Paul Lieberstein, as well as the possible exit of a soon-to-be spun off Rainn Wilson. Additionally, it was recently announced that B.J. Novak (Ryan) will not be returning as a regular.

1. office/parks/comm/30rock says:

I love clark duke… but cancel the damn show already!!! been watching since season one, and will watch through the end, but its needs to end!!

• Ang says:

It needs nothing, I just started watching at season 8 because I can’t stand Carell. You need to own yourself and stop watching something you don’t like, but if you do keep watching you forfeit your right to complain.

• fearthecacti says:

Could not agree more. Characters have arced, now half the cast is leaving? Just because Creed decided to stick around is not justification to keep this show on the air NBC. Also, liking The Office but not liking Carrell is ridiculous, you missed the best years of the show and are now viewing the most egregious case of “beating something to death” in the history of television.

• officelover 0416 says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT DOES NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bryan says:

haha here’s an idea, stop watching it then…

• Lorelei says:

Then dont watch it! IF YOUR A TRUE FAN YOU WILL NEVER SAY SUCH WORDS!

2. JWB says:

As much as I love the show, I don’t think I’ll be watching. Catherine Tate needs to go. Last season was painful to watch. The talented cast can only do so much with bad writing!

3. Alex says:

leave it out mate!!!, “I’ll be watching forever!!!, but please end it already!!!!”?, what does that mean?, either you like it or not, either you enjoy it or not, I would say do us all who still like the show a big favour and just change the channel, yeah?, I have absolutely no idea what’s with people, all they have to do is watch something else and yet they don’t, just let us bloody enjoy it while we still can, yeah?, thanks

• Danielle says:

It’s loyalty, and comfort, and wanting to see a show through to the end. I *hated* the past few season of Desperate Housewives but I’m a loyal viewer and wanted to see how it would wrap up for the characters. Plus, DH was Sunday night for me, it felt odd to not tune in. It’s the same for the Office. I want to know if Jim and Pam will divorce or stick it out, if Angela will wind up with Dwight, if Stanley will die mid-heart attack racing for the Pretzel Day line. It’s getting awful, but i want to see what happens to the characters I’ve invested in.

It’s not that hard to understand.

• Edmalex says:

Jim and Pam won’t divorce, Angela won’t wind up with Dwight, and Stanley’s heart attack will probably happen at his desk causing him to stay late for the first time in years.

Any other concerns?

• Cy says:

So true. But I gave up already. Loved Jim and Pam in their heyday, but, yeah. SO painful to watch. Let it go already.

• Alex says:

I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree,if I hate something then I hate it, yeah?, if I (let’s say) wanted to know what happened to me once favourite characters I’d just read a summary o’ the episode somewhere or download key episodes from itunes or some such thing, if I hated a show I wouldn’t put meself through the torture of watching every single episode just to see if and when certain character dies or gets divorced or something of the sort,but that’s me, I could be wrong

4. SB says:

Maybe I’m alone in this, but I liked last season! There were a few really good ones. And I loved Dale in Greek (well, I loved Greek in general). I’ll watch!

• JustMy2Cents says:

Agreed. Was it as good as way back at the beginning? No, not quite. But there were some solid episodes, and I have grown to enjoy and care about so many of these characters and I want to keep knowing them.

5. kelly says:

I can’t stand catherine tate. she ruined the show for me. Clark is great and look like he should be related to dwight

6. Danielle says:

I love Clark Duke. I can see him filling Rainn Wilson’s void. Not the exact same character obviously, but a guy you love that also annoys the hell out of you type of character. If they can get rid of Catherine Tate, keep Andy as manager, move Jim and Pam to Corporate, and find someone to be opposite Clark, the show might have a chance of surviving.

7. AJ says:

I remember when Catherine Tate was cast and a lot of us said “no thank you” and repeatedly got hounded by all the people who were just in love with her and how great the show was going to be. Where are those people now? *crickets*

• MIchael says:

I had no idea who she was before the Office but I thought that she was the funniest part of last season. Don’t be so damn presumptuous or smug. We like what we like.

• Tip says:

I am big Dr. Who and Office fan. I didn’t love Tate on Dr. Who, and my thoughts were “whatevs,” when she joined The Office. But, honestly, I think she has been hilarious. I like her way more now than I did on Dr. Who. Best scene, her giving Dwight the VP promotion and him shadow boxing her in the gut. It wasn’t cerebral, but i was rolling.

I think people would like current Office better if they could just take it for what it is and not compare to the superlative first seasons. The Office is still one of the funniest shows on TV.

8. I absolutely adore Catherine Tate, although I haven’t watched any of her Office episodes because I don’t watch it regularly anymore. I’ll watch a repeat if there is nothing else on, but it isn’t something I feel the need to watch every week. I think the show itself is still alright, but it is hard to continue a show with so many changed because the people watching can still remember what it was like before and compare. And changes to TV shows, especially after so many years, is rarely for the better.

• AJ says:

Doesn’t matter if you adore her if you aren’t going to watch the show. This post is a good example of what I am talking about. People who actually watch the show can’t stand her on it. People who don’t even bother to tune in singing her praises. The problem with the changes is that they have tried to replace Steve Carell with other actors trying to put on the same clueless boss doing outrageous things act. At this point it has played out. I would have rather them make Dwight the boss and go down that road than try to replace Micheal Scott with a female version.

• Andy says:

She’s the reason I still watch the show, she and James Spader made last season. She’s still growing into her character though. For example, I hated Andy in the beginning because for me, he was another Dwight. Catherine Tate’s character will develop over time, and I can’t wait to continue to watch her on the show.

9. Kasper F. Nielsen says:

Love Clark Duke. A shame he’s going to join something as creatively dead as The Office is these days. Hopefully it’s just a step up the ladder. I want more Clark Duke in big movies, please.

10. Emily N. says:

I really like Clark Duke, but I had already decided to stop watching The Office due to the excruciating presence of Catherine Tate’s character. After being a loyal and enthusiastic viewer from the very beginning, I barely tolerated the second half of last season hoping Catherine’s arc would be a short run of episodes I could suffer through and then forget. After they inexplicably decided to make her a series regular, I made the tough decision to stop watching for good (or until I hear she’s no longer on the show).

11. alyssa says:

I haven’t liked The Office the past few years (since even before Carrell left), and only watch it every now and then with my family as they are all still loyal viewers.
    But, I absolutely ADORE Clark Duke, so I may be coming back to full viewership with him added in to the cast.

12. BP says:

The British Boss must go. What a waste of air time she has been. They should have a Creed retirement party, but he just keeps showing up after it. Whatever happened to that girl that was hot for Jim? Stanley and Darrell should form an alliance, there should be some scenario where Mose gets hired as a temp. Is it that hard to write humor for this show?

13. Creed Bratton says:

I loved this show until the last year and half. Andy is terrible as manager and he cannot be the lead on this show. James Spader’s character was a waste, and Catherine Tate did not belong. With Mindy Kaling, BJ Novak, Paul Lieberstein and Rainn Wilson leaving, they should just call it the Jim and Pam Variety hour. Cancel this show.

14. Tupac Shakur says:

Catherine Tate and Clark Duke will be this shows downfall. There has been too many changes for the worse. I am a loyal viewer but cannot stand Duke. Bad move, guys.

15. Mike says:

Since season 6 the series has just been going downhill (don’t get me wrong, there were a few hilarious episodes). Good move by some of the major players to get out now. As for Clark Duke, he may add a certain nerdy charm to the show, but it won’t save The Office from an oncoming downfall. I will continue to watch the show just to see what happens to the main characters that were there from the beginning, and Andy as well because he may be the best character on the show.

16. SJ says:

They have done a few things right. They got ride of Robert California. That act was getting stale (and maybe a little too close to real life CEO’s for comfort). Catherine Tate’s character they’ve been toning down. Looks like they have Andy Bernard back in the Michael Scott role, which could work. He is pretty hapless. I liked when they were taking the turn and having him be angry again. Maybe have an episode where he goes off his meds and really puts the office on edge…or maybe have a moment between him and another character like Michael and Stanley’s classic “have you lost your mind?” moment…

But yeah, let the Nard Dog grow in to the manager role, have David Wallace back to represent the corporate side again (this was missing when Sabre took over but Cathy Bates disappeared). Go back to the roots of the show, which appears to be what they are doing in a round about way now. THey have Andy as Michael…Andy and Erin as Jim and Pam (sorta), Dwight is always the same old Dwight which is why he always worked. Same goes for Angela, Kevin, Meredith, Creed, etc…same old characters which is why they worked. Now they need a new Ryan (Clark Duke maybe?) the sort of “normal” person to act as the straight man as all sorts of Office wackiness is going on, the person the viewer can relate with (that has been missing the past few seasons too, the closest thing we’ve had is Jim)

17. ljmick says:

I don’t think this show will ever “Jump the Shark”, because if you’ve ever worked in an office you know that it’s day after day, year after year of having to deal with eclectic, often annoying personalities which every so often can be wildly amusing so the fact that it won’t end is in my opinion completely appropriate. I can see Clark Duke being some kind of “Dwight Schrute” long lost relative. Spinoffs rarely work out anymore, the success of shows like Different Strokes, Laverne and Shirley I think lead studio executives to believe it’s a good strategy. The Office has always been an ensemble show, of course Michael and Dwight always seemed to instigate the ridiculous story lines, but the show will survive just fine so much material to draw from.

18. Brett says:

Steve Carell was great for about 5 seasons, but I began to grow tired of him and actually thought last season was the best season of The Office yet. Much of the cast was finally able to step out from behind his shadow and really shine. I feel upset right now about Kelly and Ryan, and especially Toby not returning. But maybe the new cast members will be as good as they were, or better.

19. AM says:

Does anyone else think that this dude kind of looks like Rainn Wilson? Perhaps they will make him related in some way.

20. Stan says:

I hope he kills Robert California

21. Walter says:

I love Catherine Tate. Absolutely love her. The series is obviously not as good without Carrell and I don’t love these new changes – worked with Clark on a film and he’s kind of a dick.

22. Thats Amore says:

Nellie needs to die in a combine. That’s the only way I’ll watch season 9.

23. b says: