A&E's Longmire Saddles Up for Second Season

Sheriff Walt has a long, dusty, crime-solving road ahead of him, because A&E has renewed Longmire for a second season.

Our sister site Deadline reports that the network made the decision only four weeks into the Western-flavored drama’s inaugural season.

RELATEDLongmire Finale Scoop: Charles S. Dutton Will Rock Walt’s World

The mystery series, set in a part of Wyoming where lots of bad stuff seems to happen, stars Robert Taylor as the titular character and Battlestar Galactica grad Katee Sackhoff as his deputy, Vic. Smallville alum Cassidy Freeman plays Longmire’s daughter.

A&E apparently likes the numbers Longmire is racking up: Its premiere grabbed 4.1 million total viewers and was the channel’s most-watched scripted series debut ever.

Longmire airs Sundays at 10/9c, and its Season 1 finale is scheduled for August 5.

1. josten88 says:

Yes!!!! Love this show!!

2. Lorie says:

Well deserved! Great news!

3. melissa says:

This makes my day!

4. Bonnie Colvert says:

Fantastic! Good move A & E! Great casting it just works!

5. patchouli says:

Very nice news, the show gets better every week. :)

6. ziggoz says:

Great news! Longmire is a show well done, produced, with excellent actors well directed, that it deserves, no doubt, be continued.

7. Eric says:

Hallelujah! Longmire’s easily the best new show. It’s gritty just like the setting. When I was a crime beat reporter in Colorado, the undersheriff was a great source. He’d worked many years as a deputy in Wyoming, where he handled more than his share of murders and other nasty crimes. He blamed the extreme isolation and the relentless wind for much of this. “People would just snap and kill each other,” he said.

8. Em says:

Yay! I am so excited about this. It’s been a bit slow starting off, but I love Katee Sackhoff’s Vic and can’t wait to see how her character develops.

9. Eliza says:

Very happy! I’m enjoying this show.

10. Ava says:

I’ve been watching this show and it’s fairly good. I’m looking forward to a second season so they can get even more in depth with these characters.

11. BrianR says:

The only thing that bothers me is that Longmire seems suicidal. Charging into a home with a paid mob killer and instead of shooting the guy in the head he tackles him. Plus running around the woods with just a pistol, come on at least bring you’re Winchester rifle.

• Jeff says:

If you have any Knowledge of guns, a rifle in the woods chasing someone would make it difficult to maneuver and get of a good shot rifles are made for distance shooting, handguns are for close shots.

12. Tania says:

As a convert to the series, I am glad and not surprised that it is getting a 2nd season renewal. Now A&E needs to announce the renewal of The Glades. This will make me very, very happy. ;)

• Beverly Poole says:

Bring back a gifted man as the glades cant make up his mind who did it, and just keeps
      accusing until finally someone confesses

13. Kat says:

Oh happy days!! Love, love this show.

14. TheLonelyPlace says:

Here for more Cassidy Freeman goodness!

15. Velvet says:

Awesome! I enjoy this show and Sheriff Longmire is easy on the eyes.

16. mia says:

Great news. I enjoy the show quite a bit, just wish there was more of Katee Sackhoff in it…she was the reason I started watching in the first place.

17. Rory O'Brien says:

Taylor was casted in a perfect role for a Sheriff. Phillips as his Indian confident is a perfect match as well. I find the show wouldn’t work with any other duo. The story lines are great, acting superb and believable. Too the supporting cast do aid in all areas but as with Downton Abbey the DP is doing a superb job in many ways. Congrats to getting an approval on 2nd season. The fact that I am still wondering what luggage Walt is carrying based on his flashbacks has intrigued me immensely.

18. i LOVE THIS SHOW, AND I WAS AFRAID THAT YOU WOULDN’T RENEW IT. SOOOO HAPPY THAT YOU DID. NOW MY SISTER AND DAUGHTER ARE TUNING IN. WE ALL LOVE IT. I WAS RAISED IN OKLAHOMA AND LIVE IN TEXAS. I GREW UP WATCHING GUNSMOKE ON SUNDAY NIGHTS WITH MY DADDY, AND I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR A GOOD WESTERN ON TV AGAIN. I HOPE IT RUNS FOR YEARS. JOHN WAYNE WAS MY FAVORITE, AND THIS SHOW IS REALLY GREAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT. WESTERN HEROES ARE THE BEST; TRUE ALL AMERICAN HEROES, EVEN THOUGH THIS SHERIFF IS FROM AUSTRALIA. PLEASE KEEP RENEWING IT. I’M SURE MANY WILL ENJOY IT.

19. Tony Rodriguez says:

Love the show. I’m glad they’ll be doing a next season

• Pat says:

I really love the show too. When they say Season 2 is that now or next summer??? Hope we don’t have to wait till next summer.

20. bhm1304 says:

This show took a while to get going but I’m glad I stuck around. I thought Lou Diamond Phillip’s last A & E program, “The Cleaner” was unjustifiably canceled and I’m glad they found him a good role. Cassidy Freeman has been really good as has Katie but both have been underutilized.

• ayla says:

hey bhm1304, as far as I can remember lou diamond phillips was not on The Closer, that was Benjamin Bratt, and it certainly did not deserve to be cancelled. Seems like A and E has a fairly bad rep for cancelling really good shows. Every year they cancell Dog the Bounty Hunter, and then bring it back. Extremely discouraging, and they never give return dates, which is just plain exasperating. Strongwind

• ayla says:

strongwind again, I certainly can agree with the woman, man, fan of the Gifted Man, was reallyt.orry to see CBS cancel that one. Of course they only cancel the best, now why is that?

21. dwballa says:

I hope we do not have to wait to long for the second season. A&E please do not wait too long to start the second season

22. Jody says:

I am thrilled to see this show renewed!!!! Finding a good program to watch on TV
    is a challenge these day’s. I can’t wait for season 2. Love it!!! Lou Diamond Phillips
    is one of my favorite actor’s, and I think Rob Taylor is perfect for his part as sheriff.

23. wsbtodd says:

Excellent show! Can’t wait for second season. Make it a much longer season!

24. Newman says:

To bhm1304, Benjamin Bratt was in the show The Cleaner, not Lou Diamond Phillips. Love this show. Can’t wait for it to come back.

25. Barb says:

Ditto to all of the other comments. One of THE best shows on TV.

26. donna says:

Love Longmire. I am ready for season 2. I started watching it by accident and glad I did. Love Robert Taylor

27. Rebecca says:

Hurry up A&E and start the second season. Love Longmire!

28. donna says:

How does an australian sound american. I am from the south and have a hard time understanding robert taylor sometimes. I also can’t catch everything kate sackoff says anyone else have this problem

29. Anna says:

Longmire is a fantastic show, and I am looking forward to many seasons! Robert Taylor and the entire cast are great!

30. Mavis says:

Longmire is a great show. It has been the highlight of my summer TV viewing. I hope there are more episodes next season.

31. Mike says:

Best drama seen on TV in years. Love Vic and Walt.

32. JB Miller says:

I love LONGMIRE!! Great casting and interactions- Sheriff Walt and LDP as Henry are phenominal actors!! Even Ferg is enjoyable! Can’ wait until 2 nd season starts!

33. Deanna says:

Love it!! Just want to know when the new season will start. Can’t wait!!!

34. LUCKYLADY says:

yes could someone tell us when the new season starts, thank you

35. LaRita says:

I absolutely love this show and everyone in it! Can’t wait for its return. In the meantime, I may just go back and watch the 1st season over!

36. Jonathan says:

it was awesome when Walt leveled Branch with that right cross, made me whoop and holler at my TV!!!

37. Beverly says:

I just discovered this show by accident and I love it! This is one of the best shows on television. I can’t wait for Season 2.

38. donna says:

Bailey chase walks like a sissy robert taylor is a real man

39. donna says:

First of all a truly southern accent is not syrupy. That is the hollywood version I only meant they don’t always speak clearly but slur their words. By the way where are you from

40. June Darden says:

WHEN WHEN, WILL THE NEW SEASON START , WE REALLY ENJOY WATCHING , LONGMIRE , ON SUNDAY NIGHT.

41. wjg says:

the longmire mysteries books are excellent! When we had that violent storm that knocked out our power and now cable after that, they came in handy. waiting for #8 to come in paperback

42. LUCKY LADY says:

Check barnes and noble it may be there I just ordered 2 3 4

43. Macquaid says:

Please tell us when this airs

44. marie says:

That is my favorite show, the whole cast neat.

45. Tena Northern says:

OMG! I love this show!! Hurry up with the 2nd Season!!!!

46. loni says:

I think longmire is truely an awesome show. But I would really love to know when it starts back for season 2

47. penzter says:

I am looking forward to the Season 2 Premier – does anyone know when that will be? by the way, Katee is my husband’s niece. Love watching this show

48. ellen says:

Waiting for season 2. So looking forward for A&E To get it on the air

49. gail says:

On FB it said first of the year. Longmire has its on page on FB

50. When does season 2 start?