A&E's Longmire Saddles Up for Second Season

Get More: News, Renewals

Sheriff Walt has a long, dusty, crime-solving road ahead of him, because A&E has renewed Longmire for a second season.

Our sister site Deadline reports that the network made the decision only four weeks into the Western-flavored drama’s inaugural season.

RELATEDLongmire Finale Scoop: Charles S. Dutton Will Rock Walt’s World

The mystery series, set in a part of Wyoming where lots of bad stuff seems to happen, stars Robert Taylor as the titular character and Battlestar Galactica grad Katee Sackhoff as his deputy, Vic. Smallville alum Cassidy Freeman plays Longmire’s daughter.

A&E apparently likes the numbers Longmire is racking up: Its premiere grabbed 4.1 million total viewers and was the channel’s most-watched scripted series debut ever.

Longmire airs Sundays at 10/9c, and its Season 1 finale is scheduled for August 5.

Tags: , ,

Comments (85)

• Yes!!!! Love this show!!

Comment by josten88 – June 29, 2012 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the show too, but when does the new season start?

Comment by Anna M – January 6, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well deserved! Great news!

Comment by Lorie – June 29, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This makes my day!

Comment by melissa – June 29, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic! Good move A & E! Great casting it just works!

Comment by Bonnie Colvert – June 29, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very nice news, the show gets better every week. :)

Comment by patchouli – June 29, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Longmire is a show well done, produced, with excellent actors well directed, that it deserves, no doubt, be continued.

Comment by ziggoz – June 29, 2012 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hallelujah! Longmire’s easily the best new show. It’s gritty just like the setting. When I was a crime beat reporter in Colorado, the undersheriff was a great source. He’d worked many years as a deputy in Wyoming, where he handled more than his share of murders and other nasty crimes. He blamed the extreme isolation and the relentless wind for much of this. “People would just snap and kill each other,” he said.

Comment by Eric – June 29, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just really love Longmire so happy that it is scheduled for return but I really would like to know when?

Comment by Joan Moore – August 26, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you find out when let me know, love the show

Comment by LUCKYLADY – August 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, I love it too but when does Season Two start?

Comment by Karen – August 28, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve been all over the Internet trying to find out when the second season starts. What’s the holdup, for crying out loud? Why is it such a secret? Did they lose a main character and are even now on hands and knees begging him/her to return? Are the stars demanding more money? C’mon, A&E, what gives?

Comment by Pat Browning – September 25, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I read on their facebook the first part of 2013 I know a long wait but a darn good show

Comment by LUCKY LADY – September 25, 2012 03:09 PM PDT
  • Yay! I am so excited about this. It’s been a bit slow starting off, but I love Katee Sackhoff’s Vic and can’t wait to see how her character develops.

Comment by Em – June 29, 2012 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy! I’m enjoying this show.

Comment by Eliza – June 29, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been watching this show and it’s fairly good. I’m looking forward to a second season so they can get even more in depth with these characters.

Comment by Ava – June 29, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only thing that bothers me is that Longmire seems suicidal. Charging into a home with a paid mob killer and instead of shooting the guy in the head he tackles him. Plus running around the woods with just a pistol, come on at least bring you’re Winchester rifle.

Comment by BrianR – June 29, 2012 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you have any Knowledge of guns, a rifle in the woods chasing someone would make it difficult to maneuver and get of a good shot rifles are made for distance shooting, handguns are for close shots.

Comment by Jeff – October 13, 2012 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a convert to the series, I am glad and not surprised that it is getting a 2nd season renewal. Now A&E needs to announce the renewal of The Glades. This will make me very, very happy. ;)

Comment by Tania – June 30, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back a gifted man as the glades cant make up his mind who did it, and just keeps
      accusing until finally someone confesses

Comment by Beverly Poole – September 6, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh happy days!! Love, love this show.

Comment by Kat – June 30, 2012 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Here for more Cassidy Freeman goodness!

Comment by TheLonelyPlace – July 1, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I enjoy this show and Sheriff Longmire is easy on the eyes.

Comment by Velvet – July 2, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. I enjoy the show quite a bit, just wish there was more of Katee Sackhoff in it…she was the reason I started watching in the first place.

Comment by mia – July 2, 2012 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taylor was casted in a perfect role for a Sheriff. Phillips as his Indian confident is a perfect match as well. I find the show wouldn’t work with any other duo. The story lines are great, acting superb and believable. Too the supporting cast do aid in all areas but as with Downton Abbey the DP is doing a superb job in many ways. Congrats to getting an approval on 2nd season. The fact that I am still wondering what luggage Walt is carrying based on his flashbacks has intrigued me immensely.

Comment by Rory O'Brien – July 22, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i LOVE THIS SHOW, AND I WAS AFRAID THAT YOU WOULDN’T RENEW IT. SOOOO HAPPY THAT YOU DID. NOW MY SISTER AND DAUGHTER ARE TUNING IN. WE ALL LOVE IT. I WAS RAISED IN OKLAHOMA AND LIVE IN TEXAS. I GREW UP WATCHING GUNSMOKE ON SUNDAY NIGHTS WITH MY DADDY, AND I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR A GOOD WESTERN ON TV AGAIN. I HOPE IT RUNS FOR YEARS. JOHN WAYNE WAS MY FAVORITE, AND THIS SHOW IS REALLY GREAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT. WESTERN HEROES ARE THE BEST; TRUE ALL AMERICAN HEROES, EVEN THOUGH THIS SHERIFF IS FROM AUSTRALIA. PLEASE KEEP RENEWING IT. I’M SURE MANY WILL ENJOY IT.

Comment by Anita Williams – July 29, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please unlock you caps key…..writing in upper case is like screaming!

Comment by Cathy Walters – August 17, 2012 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah man your offending the emo net nerd with your caps, it gives them bad childhood memories of when mommy and daddy use to yell at them lol

Comment by Kavvouras – October 14, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When will the second season start. WE are waiting!!!!

Comment by Mary – October 22, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. I’m glad they’ll be doing a next season

Comment by Tony Rodriguez – August 7, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really love the show too. When they say Season 2 is that now or next summer??? Hope we don’t have to wait till next summer.

Comment by Pat – August 26, 2012 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show took a while to get going but I’m glad I stuck around. I thought Lou Diamond Phillip’s last A & E program, “The Cleaner” was unjustifiably canceled and I’m glad they found him a good role. Cassidy Freeman has been really good as has Katie but both have been underutilized.

Comment by bhm1304 – August 12, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hey bhm1304, as far as I can remember lou diamond phillips was not on The Closer, that was Benjamin Bratt, and it certainly did not deserve to be cancelled. Seems like A and E has a fairly bad rep for cancelling really good shows. Every year they cancell Dog the Bounty Hunter, and then bring it back. Extremely discouraging, and they never give return dates, which is just plain exasperating. Strongwind

Comment by ayla – October 20, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • strongwind again, I certainly can agree with the woman, man, fan of the Gifted Man, was reallyt.orry to see CBS cancel that one. Of course they only cancel the best, now why is that?

Comment by ayla – October 20, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope we do not have to wait to long for the second season. A&E please do not wait too long to start the second season

Comment by dwballa – August 12, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thrilled to see this show renewed!!!! Finding a good program to watch on TV
    is a challenge these day’s. I can’t wait for season 2. Love it!!! Lou Diamond Phillips
    is one of my favorite actor’s, and I think Rob Taylor is perfect for his part as sheriff.

Comment by Jody – August 12, 2012 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Benjamin Bratt was in The Cleaner.

Comment by Newman – August 12, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent show! Can’t wait for second season. Make it a much longer season!

Comment by wsbtodd – August 12, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To bhm1304, Benjamin Bratt was in the show The Cleaner, not Lou Diamond Phillips. Love this show. Can’t wait for it to come back.

Comment by Newman – August 12, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ditto to all of the other comments. One of THE best shows on TV.

Comment by Barb – August 13, 2012 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Longmire. I am ready for season 2. I started watching it by accident and glad I did. Love Robert Taylor

Comment by donna – August 13, 2012 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hurry up A&E and start the second season. Love Longmire!

Comment by Rebecca – August 13, 2012 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How does an australian sound american. I am from the south and have a hard time understanding robert taylor sometimes. I also can’t catch everything kate sackoff says anyone else have this problem

Comment by donna – August 14, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • just because they don’t speak with that syrupy thick southern drawl?

Comment by Jonathan – August 29, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire is a fantastic show, and I am looking forward to many seasons! Robert Taylor and the entire cast are great!

Comment by Anna – August 17, 2012 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Longmire is a great show. It has been the highlight of my summer TV viewing. I hope there are more episodes next season.

Comment by Mavis – August 17, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best drama seen on TV in years. Love Vic and Walt.

Comment by Mike – August 19, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love LONGMIRE!! Great casting and interactions- Sheriff Walt and LDP as Henry are phenominal actors!! Even Ferg is enjoyable! Can’ wait until 2 nd season starts!

Comment by JB Miller – August 20, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love it!! Just want to know when the new season will start. Can’t wait!!!

Comment by Deanna – August 20, 2012 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes could someone tell us when the new season starts, thank you

Comment by LUCKYLADY – August 20, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love this show and everyone in it! Can’t wait for its return. In the meantime, I may just go back and watch the 1st season over!

Comment by LaRita – August 28, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it was awesome when Walt leveled Branch with that right cross, made me whoop and holler at my TV!!!

Comment by Jonathan – August 29, 2012 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just discovered this show by accident and I love it! This is one of the best shows on television. I can’t wait for Season 2.

Comment by Beverly – September 2, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My husband is reading the book, says they are really good. Someone needs to find out when the new season starts, love that shoe

Comment by LUCKYLADY – September 2, 2012 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dollars to donuts it’s not until summer 2013.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – September 2, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • meant to say show it better come on in 2012 best show I have watched in a long time

Comment by LUCKYLADY – September 2, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bailey chase walks like a sissy robert taylor is a real man

Comment by donna – September 2, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First of all a truly southern accent is not syrupy. That is the hollywood version I only meant they don’t always speak clearly but slur their words. By the way where are you from

Comment by donna – September 3, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We love “Longmire”. Please start season 2 soon. Thank you.

Comment by Lanny – September 7, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHEN WHEN, WILL THE NEW SEASON START , WE REALLY ENJOY WATCHING , LONGMIRE , ON SUNDAY NIGHT.

Comment by June Darden – September 7, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yea, Ditto, Great show + cast, why can’t it be running through-out they year??? When will it start again????

Comment by Terry Urban – February 10, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the longmire mysteries books are excellent! When we had that violent storm that knocked out our power and now cable after that, they came in handy. waiting for #8 to come in paperback

Comment by wjg – September 10, 2012 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Check barnes and noble it may be there I just ordered 2 3 4

Comment by LUCKY LADY – September 10, 2012 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell us when this airs

Comment by Macquaid – September 12, 2012 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is my favorite show, the whole cast neat.

Comment by marie – September 13, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I love this show!! Hurry up with the 2nd Season!!!!

Comment by Tena Northern – September 15, 2012 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think longmire is truely an awesome show. But I would really love to know when it starts back for season 2

Comment by loni – September 16, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am looking forward to the Season 2 Premier – does anyone know when that will be? by the way, Katee is my husband’s niece. Love watching this show

Comment by penzter – September 16, 2012 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Waiting for season 2. So looking forward for A&E To get it on the air

Comment by ellen – September 16, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • On FB it said first of the year. Longmire has its on page on FB

Comment by gail – September 20, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does season 2 start?

Comment by Richjard Hearn – September 30, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post