Today Host Ann Curry Tearfully Says Good-Bye: 'I'm Sorry... But Man, I Did Try' -- Watch It Here

After a week of very public speculation, Today co-host Ann Curry made her exit official Thursday morning with a teary on-air adieu.

“This is not how I expected to leave this couch after 15 years, but I am so grateful,” she said in a voice choked with emotion as colleagues Matt Lauer, Al Roker and Natalie Morales sat around her.

As a news anchor, Curry was a daily presence on the NBC morning show for 14 years before joining Lauer as co-host last summer. But the veteran newswoman couldn’t seem to recreate the chemistry Lauer had with previous co-hosts Katie Couric and Meredith Viera. And when ABC’s Good Morning America recently bested Today in the ratings for the first time in 16 years, many pointed fingers at her.

RELATED | NBC’s Today Wins Outstanding Morning Program at 2012 Daytime Emmys

Rumblings about Curry’s possible ouster intensified last week, though she doggedly showed up for work every morning with a chipper smile on her face.

As Lauer rubbed her back, an overcome Curry thanked her show’s producers, crew and fans.

“After all of these years, I don’t even know if I can sleep in anymore. I’m not even sure that I can. But I know that whatever time I wake up, I’ll be missing you,” she said.

She added: “For all of you who saw me as a groundbreaker, I’m sorry I couldn’t carry the ball to the finish line, but man I did try.”

Watch Curry’s farewell here, then read on for more:

NBC’s Savannah Guthrie — who was sitting in Curry’s place when the show came back from commercial after the announcement — is rumored to be the heir apparent, while Curry (UPDATE) will move on to the position of NBC News National and International Correspondent/Anchor and Today Anchor at Large, effective immediately.

1. Alicia says:

I vote we cancel “Today” and fill its timeslot with “Troy and Abed in the Mooorning!”

2. Jackie says:

NBC get a clue, you are losing in the rating because you don’t present a news show or an entertainment show. You fill the air with stories no one cares about, please how many days were spent on the Jubilee, Martin and Anthony cases. You run stories into the ground until you are just speculating on events and outcomes. It would be nice to at least get 30 minutes of news!
    NBC handled the situation miserably. I hope Curry does well in her new posting, but hope she is looking elsewhere and lands another position soon.

• Tammy says:

I agree. I record the Today show and FF way too much now. Same story every day with no real new update to it. If they get an exclusive it’s even worse. For a while there was the weekly shark bite story.

3. Lisa says:

Once again, NBC handles another situation with talent as poorly as possible and makes the wrong decision. If no one tuned in for Ann Curry, they’re certainly not tuning in for a similar personality, Savannah Guthrie. They really needed to inject some new life into that show!
    Just wish Ann would have kept it together for one more day and not let the waterworks flow today. Ann had the entire audience on her side, and was clearly made the scapegoat, but with unemployment as high as it is, its difficult to feel bad for someone who’s collecting 10 million a year for a couple of hours of work, and still has a job!

4. Tammy says:

Savannah Guthrie has even less chemistry than Ann. Today better keep looking.

5. blingedup says:

Wow. That seemed like an epic fail on the part of NBC with the way this was all handled. I’m not watching them anymore, and I hope their ratings fall. I always liked Ann Curry. I’m going to try CBS This Morning. I’ve wondered how Gayle was doing over there….

6. Kendra says:

I’m done watching the Today Show ont watching GMA from now on. Curry did a great job a host, it seems that she was push out on the street like old trash. NBC couldn’t even be bother to throw her a proper good bye.

7. Mary Miller says:

Glad Ann is gone! I never thought she was the right person for the co-anchor job!

8. Deb says:

This is so typical NBC! What morons! I think she was just too classy and authentic for Today. Ann should have a drink with Conan and celebrate the next phase of her successful career. I hope she leaves NBC for the greener pastures she deserves.

9. Diana McSpadden says:

Are you kidding me!! Why?? Anne was like my sister, I’m so close to my sisters!! I’m, very close to my family!! I loved listening to Anne. She made me cry because she made it real. She’s so sweet. Hey Anne, better things will happen for you! I’ve actually have had a rough ride in life, but hey, we make it. I just want to tell you I think your great!! Remember what you think of yourself, you know it’s all good. That’s what counts in life. You have more people that love you, that don’t even know you in person. Wow!! I would like that . Hang in there. You were the star of the show–THE TODAY SHOW!! You’ll be ok because you are a star in my family!! I have a huge family! You will be fine. Diana

10. Very good information. Lucky me I found your blog by
    chance (stumbleupon). I have book-marked it for later!