Lying Game Season 2: Charisma Carpenter's Mystery Mom Is Out for 'Revenge' -- But Why?

Now that she’s officially a full-fledged series regular (the deal was finalized this week!), Charisma Carpenter, like the rest of us, is just trying to figure out what’s really going on with her still-mysterious Lying Game character. Is Annie Rebecca as evil as she seems? Maybe she’s just misunderstood? And is it possible that she’s not actually favoring one devious daughter over the other?

The producers haven’t yet revealed everything to Carpenter, but she’s certain of one thing: Rebecca is getting her Emily Thorne on in a major way.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

“I suspect [her agenda is] revenge,” the actress shared with TVLine at Tuesday’s Thirst Gala in Los Angeles. “Rebecca’s upset from the early years. She flowered and bloomed and came into her own. She found confidence. Now, she’s back to wreak havoc on those that had made her life so hard.”

So, perhaps Rebecca, not unlike her kindred spirit over on Revenge, is at least somewhat in the right? Carpenter says she thinks so. “If there isn’t an element of victimhood, it would be hard to relate to her,” she explained. “Nobody likes coldblooded. There has to be a good reason [for her behavior]. But we don’t know exactly what was done to her” — other than that it’s “related to the fact that Rebecca was forced to give up the twins,” Carpenter teased.

Speaking of the kiddos, it seems as though Carpenter’s mother scorned has unjustifiably taken one daughter under her wing — the evilish Sutton — while naïve Emma remains their unknowing victim.

Carpenter conceded that while it may feel like “she’s ganging up on Emma,” things are probably not what they seem. “She could be playing Sutton.” Added the actress with a laugh, “I just don’t feel that she’s the best mom ever.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Psyched to see more Rebecca — and Carpenter — in The Lying Game Season 2, which premieres sometime this winter? Hit the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Previews

1. Olivia says:

Love this show. Can’t wait for it to come back!

2. Smigglesby says:

when does it start?

3. Oh i wish it was back already, I miss this show and I love having both Pretty Little Liars & Lying Game together on one night

4. Jessica says:

So is she Annie? I am so confused by this plot. I love the show, but this storyline has confused the crap out of me.

• Chloe says:

I think her real name is Annie but when she came back, she had reinvented herself and now was calling herself Rebecca.

Last I heard, it wasn’t returning until January. :(

• songbyrd86 says:

Her first name is Annie and her middle name is Rebecca – when she was in school and to her sister she’s Annie – but to everyone now that she’s back she’s Rebecca.

5. I can’t believe this show won’t be back until January… ='(
    Although it seems like Rebecca favors Sutton over Emma, I’m sure her goal is getting them both back. Whether or not she’s actually interested in being a real mother rather than just simply wanting to possess them, remains to be seen. Sutton was easy to rope in because she inexplicably hates her adopted parents and knows nothing about anything. She’s an easy mark.
    However, winning over Emma will be more difficult for Rebecca because Emma’s actually a decent person and because she’s seen how attached Emma is to the Mercers. Rebecca’s trying to manipulate events in a way so that when Emma is let it on the truth, she’ll choose Rebecca’s side.
    Her goal is probably revenge on Alec, and having her ‘family’ together (her, Ted and the twins). I suspect she might be interested in ‘stealing’ Laurel away too as some kind of revenge against Kristin.

6. Skeff says:

This show is a guilty pleasure for me – so glad to see it getting coverage!

7. Elyse says:

i can’t wait for the lying game to come back!! :D one of my favorites!

8. Jared says:

I love THE LYING GAME..the finale was epic and Charisma is great…I can’t wait to see what’s gonna happen next season.

9. Merry says:

I love lying games. I want to know what will happen between ethan & emma. And what had happened to rebecca during their high school life that turned her into a simple monster.

10. Emma Becker says:

I love to hate her as Rebecca or Annie.

11. Talia Latifa says:

Hope 2 see more of emma and Thayer in season 2

12. Dargie says:

Kent weit 4 season 2 to know how emma will react after knowing that Rebbeca/Annie is her mum. I so luv the drama. Kent weit.

13. regina says:

I hope it comes back long enough to spill the beans on Annie and sutton get her ass kicked! wow Anne/Rebecca

14. Asika blessing says:

I want emma and ethan to come back together nd thayer nd sutton to be together

15. danty says:

that’s one ill stunt that Rebecca is pulling

16. danty Cluive says:

wow!this is one story that i don’t wanna mis a bit

17. Mariax says:

i love this show.. hope emma/thayer can be together soon