Lying Game Season 2: Charisma Carpenter's Mystery Mom Is Out for 'Revenge' — But Why?

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Now that she’s officially a full-fledged series regular (the deal was finalized this week!), Charisma Carpenter, like the rest of us, is just trying to figure out what’s really going on with her still-mysterious Lying Game character. Is Annie Rebecca as evil as she seems? Maybe she’s just misunderstood? And is it possible that she’s not actually favoring one devious daughter over the other?

The producers haven’t yet revealed everything to Carpenter, but she’s certain of one thing: Rebecca is getting her Emily Thorne on in a major way.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid — What’s On When? And Versus What?

“I suspect [her agenda is] revenge,” the actress shared with TVLine at Tuesday’s Thirst Gala in Los Angeles. “Rebecca’s upset from the early years. She flowered and bloomed and came into her own. She found confidence. Now, she’s back to wreak havoc on those that had made her life so hard.”

So, perhaps Rebecca, not unlike her kindred spirit over on Revenge, is at least somewhat in the right? Carpenter says she thinks so. “If there isn’t an element of victimhood, it would be hard to relate to her,” she explained. “Nobody likes coldblooded. There has to be a good reason [for her behavior]. But we don’t know exactly what was done to her” — other than that it’s “related to the fact that Rebecca was forced to give up the twins,” Carpenter teased.

Speaking of the kiddos, it seems as though Carpenter’s mother scorned has unjustifiably taken one daughter under her wing — the evilish Sutton — while naïve Emma remains their unknowing victim.

Carpenter conceded that while it may feel like “she’s ganging up on Emma,” things are probably not what they seem. “She could be playing Sutton.” Added the actress with a laugh, “I just don’t feel that she’s the best mom ever.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Psyched to see more Rebecca — and Carpenter — in The Lying Game Season 2, which premieres sometime this winter? Hit the comments!

Comments (21)

• Love this show. Can’t wait for it to come back!

Comment by Olivia – June 27, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • when does it start?

Comment by Smigglesby – June 27, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • winter january 2 tuesday

Comment by jolia – September 1, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh i wish it was back already, I miss this show and I love having both Pretty Little Liars & Lying Game together on one night

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – June 27, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is she Annie? I am so confused by this plot. I love the show, but this storyline has confused the crap out of me.

Comment by Jessica – June 27, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think her real name is Annie but when she came back, she had reinvented herself and now was calling herself Rebecca.

Last I heard, it wasn’t returning until January. :(

Comment by Chloe – June 27, 2012 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her first name is Annie and her middle name is Rebecca – when she was in school and to her sister she’s Annie – but to everyone now that she’s back she’s Rebecca.

Comment by songbyrd86 – June 27, 2012 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe this show won’t be back until January… =’(
    Although it seems like Rebecca favors Sutton over Emma, I’m sure her goal is getting them both back. Whether or not she’s actually interested in being a real mother rather than just simply wanting to possess them, remains to be seen. Sutton was easy to rope in because she inexplicably hates her adopted parents and knows nothing about anything. She’s an easy mark.
    However, winning over Emma will be more difficult for Rebecca because Emma’s actually a decent person and because she’s seen how attached Emma is to the Mercers. Rebecca’s trying to manipulate events in a way so that when Emma is let it on the truth, she’ll choose Rebecca’s side.
    Her goal is probably revenge on Alec, and having her ‘family’ together (her, Ted and the twins). I suspect she might be interested in ‘stealing’ Laurel away too as some kind of revenge against Kristin.

Comment by Minxie (@Minxie18) – June 27, 2012 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is a guilty pleasure for me – so glad to see it getting coverage!

Comment by Skeff – June 28, 2012 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t wait for the lying game to come back!! :D one of my favorites!

Comment by Elyse – June 28, 2012 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love THE LYING GAME..the finale was epic and Charisma is great…I can’t wait to see what’s gonna happen next season.

Comment by Jared – June 28, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love lying games. I want to know what will happen between ethan & emma. And what had happened to rebecca during their high school life that turned her into a simple monster.

Comment by Merry – July 21, 2012 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yap. Mi 2. The 2 deserve 2 b 2getha. They gawt morales unlike Sutton hu only thinks of haself.

Comment by Dargie – September 3, 2012 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love to hate her as Rebecca or Annie.

Comment by Emma Becker – August 9, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope 2 see more of emma and Thayer in season 2

Comment by Talia Latifa – August 31, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kent weit 4 season 2 to know how emma will react after knowing that Rebbeca/Annie is her mum. I so luv the drama. Kent weit.

Comment by Dargie – September 3, 2012 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it comes back long enough to spill the beans on Annie and sutton get her ass kicked! wow Anne/Rebecca

Comment by regina – September 16, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want emma and ethan to come back together nd thayer nd sutton to be together

Comment by Asika blessing – September 18, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that’s one ill stunt that Rebecca is pulling

Comment by danty – October 12, 2012 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow!this is one story that i don’t wanna mis a bit

Comment by danty Cluive – October 12, 2012 05:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love this show.. hope emma/thayer can be together soon

Comment by Mariax – November 3, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post