Community Roll Call: Chevy Chase Shall Return

The entire Greendale Gang — Chevy Chase‘s Pierce Hawthorne included — will be in attendance when Season 4 of NBC’s Community arrives in October.

Chase, who portrays the moist towelette tycoon, hinted earlier this year that his well-publicized problems with Community creator and then-showrunner Dan Harmon might prompt him and the show to part ways. (We even included Pierce in our list of possibly expendable TV characters — and you overwhelmingly voted that the show would do just fine without him.)

But it perhaps was ultimately much hullabaloo about nothing as our sister site Deadline reports that Chase will in fact join Joel McHale, Danny Pudi, Gillian Jacobs, Alison Brie, Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald Glover, Jim Rash and Ken Jeong for Season 4, with David Guarascio and Moses Port on board as the new showrunners and Harmon now in a consulting producer position.

1. Lance says:

I’m just wondering how they’re gonna include Chang in season 4. He’s basically a wanted criminal now.

• Polly says:

As they showed in the finale, he hid in the vents in the rival college. So he’ll be some kind of advisor for them there, I think.

2. Pedro P. says:

At least I’m not the only one who thinks that Community would be better off without him…

3. Nessie says:

I’m happy to hear this. Yes the show could go on without him, but Chase has his moments and it would have been sad to see him leave.

• davey says:

Pierce’s moments are so few and far between it actually makes me kind of sad that Dan Harmon is leaving – and Chevy is still there!

4. TigerNightmare says:

I think Pierce fits into the show well and is very funny but losing Dan Harmon is much worse than losing Chevy.

5. theENDisNEAR says:

half season, then cancelled. what difference does it make?

6. Leah says:

I have no love for Chevy; I just want the core cast to be the same until the end. At the same time, given the choice between keeping Harmon or Chevy, I would choose Harmon every time.

7. Prettypinkie says:

We all LOVE him and it would be so SAD if he does not go back on the show. Good Luck Sweets box

8. Ava says:

I think the character of Pierce has a very specific role on the show. I’ve always thought Pierce had some really great moments. I personally think the show would be lacking without him. So I’m glad he’s coming back.

9. brianne says:

I love Pierce and I love Community

10. Christy says:

I’ll still watch but without Dan my expectations are super low. :/ Last season’s finale worked really well as a series finale though, so even if this upcoming season is unwatchable I’m still happy. If it’s great, then it’a kind of like a bonus season.

11. Mari says:

Great!! I love Pierce.

12. bob says:

I love Chevy Chase; I feel he should be treated with respect. Maybe the show won’t be the same without Dan Harmon, I don’t really care. It matters that he was an ahflsakjfj to Chevy Chase and shouldn’t be treating people that way. I am looking forward to a community without Dan Harmon much more than I would be looking forward to a community without Chevy Chase.

• Russ says:

Bob are you a community fan? Cause Dan is Community, yeah be might be a dick, but that dick is responsible for amazing-ness of the show. If Community isn’t as good without him then it already small fan base will part and it will get cancelled. So I would rather have Community without Chevy than Dan.

• Nessie says:

The problem is that Dans behavior hasn’t helped the show gain viewers either. You can be an jerk if you have a show that gets alot of viewers but Community doesn’t, and his behavior became a hindrance. It was either keep him and definitely cancel it, or let him go and hope to potentially bring in people to keep it going. At this point, the characters are so engrained, that as long as you have good writers who’ve worked with them before, the show shouldn’t really go downhill.

• emitted says:

His behavior wasn’t doing anything except making whiney executives at Sony feel like they were being disrespected by a big meany pants.

• meggo says:

Excellent summary Nessie. I agree. I couldn’t stand to watch interviews with him because it made me embarrased to watch Community. He would constantly talk about being drunk, about being a slacker with his scripts, etc. I was just getting tired of it. Hopefully it’ll go on longer than 11 episodes.

• chaz says:

Dan was not a slacker or drunk. He has a big ego and wanted the show done his way. Chevy has managed make a career on a catch phrase “I’m Chevy Chase… and you’re not” and he complained about the lines given to him by Dan Harmon. Chevy and you are too dense to actually understand the show.

• SAME HERE. Exactly my thoughts.

And Dan left the show not because of Chevy, but because of his contract.

13. Summer says:

I’m not thrilled that we get Chevy Chase at the expense of Dan Harmon.

Here’s hoping that the show lasts.

14. I’m really happy that Chevy will be back. He’s part of the Greendale 7 and it would be really weird without him. And, weirdly enough, he’s one of my most favorite characters (next to Britta).

I know it would be different without Dan, but I guess we just have to trust the new frontrunners. Hell, Dan is still a consultant producer so I doubt if he’ll let his show to be trashed down.

• time warp says:

He won’t have any power whatsoever as the “consulting producer”. He’s said so himself. No one has to listen to him.

15. kavyn says:

I don’t understand all the hate for his character. IMO I think the group of 7 work very well together and losing any one of them would be tragic. Chang wouldn’t be able to fill Pierce’s spot because he’s totally derailed from his original character (condescending spanish teacher to whack-job with nothing to do), and replacing Pierce with a new character just wouldn’t work.

16. Adriana says:

I don’t mean any disrespect to Chevy, but I really wouldn’t miss his character… in fact cutting Pierce would be a much preferable outcome then getting rid of Dan Harmon!

17. Lame. They get rid of Dan Harmon, creator of and mastermind behind Community, but keep Chevy Chase, who plays the most useless and ridiculous character.

18. Sarabi says:

Dan Harmon returning to season 4 would be much better news!

19. Stacey says:

With or without Pierce I think the show would have been fine. I just wish they’d get rid of Chang!!

20. Delon says:

I love Pierce! Those who don’t like him are ageists.

21. Angela says:

Good. I did think the show would’ve been able to go on without him, but ultimately it’ll be nice to have the core cast all together next season. Here’s hoping things run more smoothly from here on out.

22. Britta Unfiltered says:

I could have been really happy about this news as I do believe Pierce’s character has a place on the show…I could have been really happy if they were keeping on Dan Harmon and everything was status quo. But now I do feel like the producers were making a choice between the two, and I would rather they would have kept Dan. Logically I know that’s probably not the way it went down, the firing probably had a lot more to do than just the stuff with Chevy, and most likely Chevy merely just decided to stay on because he wants the paycheck and the attention. I dunno, I just really want Dan Harmon back. I read his blog, and it is always hilarious, and lately it’s been hilarious in a really sad way. I think he is really heartbroken over losing this show that meant so much to him in his life and that he worked so hard on and put so much money into. If you watch the commentaries for the episodes, you hear him talk about how he would pay several thousands of dollars of his own money to be able to do stuff on the show that he thought would make it better. Their budget got overextended a lot, but instead of going the cheap way, he just paid for things on his own. That’s dedication to your show. That’s love. Sony, please bring Dan Harmon.

• Cheri says:

Oh my, that’s even sadder than I thought. There are some great showrunners out there, but it would be hard to beat Dan for dedication and love for his creation. I originally thought that we could start some kind of Twitter campaign to bring Dan back, but I’m just not hearing of any cultural revolution. Not that I imagine NBC or Sony really cares in any sort of way. sniff…

23. Bob says:

The old saying goes, “Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.” Well, in NBC’s case, they threw out the baby and kept the bathwater.

24. Jakob says:

i hope that if it does well this october, they will renew it for one last hurrah, but i dont think that anyone will watch with harmon…i hope im wrong about the latter. #SaveCommunity

25. Shane Tolley says:

Personally, I’m still just hoping for six seasons and a movie. There’s downsides on both ends. I’ve fallen in love with the characters, but Dan Harmon is a genius. I can’t really pick a side when it comes to either Chevy or Dan. Dan didn’t get very good treatment from Sony at the end, he deserved better.
    If you listen to the commentary, you can tell that he really loved this show, just as much or if not more than the rest o us.