TV's Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tourney Begins With Faves from Gossip, Gilmore, Felicity & More

Bad is beautiful — especially when it comes to our favorite television characters. And that’s why TVLine is kicking off TV’s Ultimate Bad Boy Bracket Tournament, a competition that celebrates 64 classic small-screen roles — from the most hard-to-handle heartthrobs to the most deliciously wicked criminals.

What makes a great bad boy? Is he dark and a little bit dangerous? A good guy with a naughty, maybe even promiscuous streak? Could he be truly evil, but nevertheless tough to root against? We’d say any/all of the above traits makes a fella eligible for our tourney.

Today we kick things off with a group of guys that fall under the “crush on at your own risk” category: Gossip Girl‘s Chuck Bass battles Gilmore Girls‘ Jess Mariano, while Felicity‘s Ben Covington faces a showdown against Queer as Folk‘s Brian Kinney.

And every day for the next month, we’ll kick off a new set of matchups in a single-elimination format that will whittle our field of 64 down to one ultimate champ. So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering/fretting, we put a cap of two cast members per show for the bracket, which meant some fan favorites had to warm the bench this time around.)

And if you’re interested in the match-ups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE ENTIRE 64-PLAYER BRACKET (then click again for a zoomed-in view) — and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Now ready, set, vote!

1. Thari says:

Ugh, i hate these brackets, because they don’t work. If you have to choose in the first round between two awesome ppl like Damon Salvatore- Russell Edgington, T-bag-Tyrion, Heisenberg- Stringer, Jax- Boyd, Spike- Klaus, you are going to end up with mediocre bad boys, cuz some of the baddest bad boys out there are already out of the game.. Why not put all of them together in one big pile, give every voter 100 points that they can divide over all nominees, and repeat the process for every round. After the first two days of voting, half the nominees get booted (those with the lowest summed scores), new round of voting, and after two days halve it again, and continue like that. You will end up with either the biggest badass or a fan fave chosen by a majority.

2. CJ says:

Brian Kinney FTW. One of the most memorable characters ever, and truly the ultimate bad boy.

3. CJ says:

Also, HOW can you put Jeff Winger against Barney Stinson in the first round?!

4. Tawanda says:

Brian Kinney—ALWAYS!

5. AnnClauC says:

Angel a bad boy? Not really.
    But oh god, Cole Turner and Ryan Atwood, I love them.

6. court says:

brian kinney should be winning right now….also, whys angel on there??hes only bad as angelus and thats like….maybe a dozen eps most…

7. Tammi_T says:

Jordan Catalano V Tim Riggins,
    Sark V. Sawyer
    Dylan V Pacey
    How am I to make these decisions????

8. Amy says:

Spike is my pick to win the whole thing. But if he can’t, then I will settle for Sawyer or Tim Riggins or Barney.

9. Court says:

Jess is my favorite male character of all time. Against my least favorite male character of all time. Ha. So obviously Jess – no one beats Jess.
    And of course Benjamin Convington – love that man.

10. nannarpite says:

Jeff Winger vs. Barney Stinson??!! Oh, come on!!! That pairing should be in the final, not the first round!!!

11. nannarpite says:

Just looked at the rest of the bracket. Sark vs. Sawyer??!!! Who’s idea was that?!!! I think Sophie had an easier choice to make!!

12. EC says:

Seriously…….who gets to decide these 1st round match ups??!

13. Mike says:

JR vs Tony Soprano in the first round? Both of these bad boys should be in the final four.

14. Adriana says:

Jess is the only person that would make me vote against Chuck Bass.

• Sasha says:

I dont like chuck all that much so i can’t rellay say my choice was all that hard BUT Jess made me addicted to Gilmore girls. I had never watched it, saw a pic of him and then the character sucked me in *sigh*

15. Maris says:

JESS NEEDS TO WIN THIS

16. farsia2010 says:

God i miss Queer as folk!!!!!
    i can’t believe they didn’t end with a movie. Brian and Justin sooooo need to be together!!! and Gale Harold needs to get a great role ASAP cause Secret circle was awful!! i started watching it just to see him but it soon became impossible!!

• Jess says:

Brian and Justin ARE together! Just because the ending doesn’t have the cliche of them driving off into the sunset together doesn’t mean their love is finished. Even the EPs said they were surprised people didn’t think Brian and Justin will still be together after the show. Anyway, secret circle was bad, but Gale Harold was the best thing in it.

17. farsia2010 says:

oh and since when is Dexter the bad guy of his show???? where on earth did that come from?

18. Elyse says:

Jess over Chuck IMO!

19. Jess says:

I agree with the sentiment of “why even hold this contest?” If you’ve seen QAF, you know Brian Kinney is the ultimate bad boy. I mean, seriously? This contest is below him.

20. Anna says:

Why are all the tough decisions so early on?!? Damon vs Eric, Angel vs Spike and House vs Mr Big all in round 2!! How am I supposed to choose?!?

21. Lorinda says:

You can’t pin Elliot from Leverage against Dean from Supernatural so early in the brackets!!!

22. I Heart Chuck Bass (and Damon Salvatore) says:

Come on, Chuck!

23. Tara says:

Who can choose between Ben and Brian? Literally my two biggest tv crushes everrrrrrrrrrrrr.

24. Joyce says:

If Jess loses to Chuck my life is over. Please TVLINE vote for the absolute amazing and badassness that is JESS MARIANO.

Rory would be ashamed of you right now.

25. jDub says:

Sark vs. Sawyer AND Barney vs. Jeff Winger, all in the first round? For shame!

26. Adorno says:

DYLAN (Luke Perry) for the win. The best “bad boy” ever. Remember the episode when he takes Brenda to a Three Stooges festival, quotes Lord Byron and shows the cracks in his armour. Pure gold.

27. Allie says:

I love me some Chuck Bass, although I’m not sure he really qualifies as a bad boy anymore. My fave reformed bad boy? :) Whatevs, I’m still voting for him.

28. bm says:

Brian Kinney is the ulimate bad boy with a heart. The character itself is one of the best characters ever created for TV. I know most of the characters on here and no one compares to Brian. The show has helped people and opened eyes. Brian Kinney all the way for those who have seen the show. Unfortunately I couldn’t vote. Hope no one else has problems.

29. em says:

You just had to put Jess against Chuck, didn’t you guys? Considering how close the Chuck versus Jess race is (and how rabid Chuck and Gossip Girl fans are), Jess totally deserved a higher seed. Also, the top right is really tough. Klaus, Spike, Lex, Sylar and Sark? Argh!

30. SnapeGirl says:

UGH! The Great Brian Kinney losing to that sweet, innocent Ben is absolutely RIDICULOUS! I’m appalled. I can’t even take the rest of this poll seriously now. If the voters watched 5 minutes of Queer as Folk they would see the gross injustice here. Unfortunately, it’s a pay cable show vs. basic network TV. But still, that’s just so wrong. Maybe if they showed a little clip for each contestant, the voters could judge better. Think about that for next time.

31. k.v. says:

How is it possible that Ben Covington is beating Brian “No apologies, no regrets” Kinney? I am a fan of both shows but when it comes to bad boys, Kinney wins. So, please people google a clip of QAF if you have to, but watch Brian Kinney in action before you vote.

32. Courtney says:

What the what?! Some of these pairings are impossible!

Don’t know how Ben is beating Brian. Brian Kinney was the ultimate bad boy! Jordan vs. Tim Riggins? J.R. vs Tony? Walter White vs Stringer Bell? And Sawyer vs Sark?! Ack! Tough call.

Also, where is Michael Weston from Burn Notice? He’s totally a bad boy.

33. Sally says:

I can’t believe Jess lost to Chuck. SMH…

34. Danielle says:

is there going to be an updated bracket posted as contests are decided?

35. Brian Kinney Forever! says:

Vote for Brian Kinney (Gale Harold) he is the most sexiest man in the world!! and Ian Somerhalder (Damon) ofcouse! Viva Queer as Folks!

36. Ben Covington ? Ok people obviously didn’t understand the question !

37. Van says:

I would love to see a Pacey/Peter and Damon/Spike FINAL FOUR!!!! But my ultimate bad boy will always be Spike. Pacey a close second.