TVLine Items: Steve Carell Crushes Office Return Hopes, Roseanne to Be Roasted and More!

Steve Carell Return To The OfficeAnd just like that, Steve Carell has — for now — dashed the dreams of Michael Scott lovers everywhere.

In a chat with the Los Angeles TimesThe Office‘s original boss says that not only does he currently have no plans to return to the NBC comedy, but that he thinks any cameo would ultimately be a letdown.

“Do you really think that people want to see Michael Scott again?” he asked, rhetorically. [Editor's note: The answer to that is duh, yes (!).] “I think the people who say they want to see Michael Scott reappear would be ultimately slightly disappointed. I think you always wish for something that you don’t sincerely want to come true. And I think in a way it’s better to imagine where Michael and Holly are at this point than actually see it.”

Hit the comments with your thoughts on Carell’s skeptical Office outlook.

RELATED | The Office Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning Next Season as a Series Regular!

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Comedy Central has announced that the outspoken comedienne/nut farmer Roseanne Barr is going to get roasted this summer as the latest target of their (in-good-fun) celeb-bashing specials. “All I can say is good luck finding anything about me to make fun of,” Barr deadpanned in a statement Monday. “I mean, I’ve never made a mistake or offended anyone in my life!” The Roast of Roseanne will take place August 4 in Los Angeles, to air Sunday, August 12 at 10/9c.

• ION Television has given the green light to WWE Main Event, a weekly one-hour show that will feature appearances by wrestlers from both Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown. The series is slated to premiere October 3 and will air on Wednesdays at 8 pm.

• Showtime has released Weeds‘ eighth and final season opener ahead of its July 1 premiere — but there’s a catch. Fans must first check out the Season 2 debut of Episodes here in order to “unlock” and thus be treated to the first of the dramedy’s last new episodes.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (26)

• Steve recently tweeted that Michael Scott died in a plane crash. I think that speaks for itself.

Comment by Jacob – June 25, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha, oh, wow, really? That’s an interesting tweet.
      I think his response is reasonable. Sure, he is missed, absolutely, but I like that he seems to have learned from times when TV tries things like this and it doesn’t work as well as they thought. And I like to think he and Holly are off living a happy life together, too.
      I do agree with others here, though, that if he does come back at all, let it be when the series ends. That would be nice.

Comment by Angela – June 25, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually agree with Steve. Because the show has been less than stellar since he left, people would expect the episode with the cameo to be so incredible that it probably couldn’t live up to the hype. I understand why they won’t, but they should have let the show end when he left.

Comment by Brent – June 25, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well, I prefer to imagine it didn’t work out between Michael and Holly, because I couldn’t stand the Holly character. I don’t really enjoy fictional romances where the characters are too much alike. It’s boring to me. I enjoy friction and opposites attract.
    Also, if you’re not watching Episodes, I highly recommend it. It is hilarious. I liked season 1, but I think season 2 so far has been much funnier.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – June 25, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Office jumped the shark long ago. Time to put it out of its misery.

Comment by Carl – June 25, 2012 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, the whole episodes thing doesn’t appear to be working. Watched Episodes, but then now Weeds still says unlocked….Maybe my computer is glitching?

Comment by tara – June 25, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I believe it should have ended the moment Michael Scott left. Period.

Comment by TMW – June 25, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s all about the writing re: Michael’s return working or not. I could see a particularly hilarious episode where he & Holly get married. Or Michael comes back to Scranton to hold a contest for who his best man will be and Toby somehow ends up winning it revealing Michael set it up for Toby to win from the outset. There’s a lot of history and fun things there to explore, but Steve has to be willing. Sounds like he’s not, so it’s all moot.

Comment by Joe – June 25, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This sounds hilarious. There so much to explore with that, and more “Toby Sucks” jokes.

Comment by Tyler – July 9, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Someone told me that soon after Steve left The Office, he made the comment that he didn’t understand what the fuss was about or something to that effect. Are you kidding me?! How can he not know how popular he was on that show, and how he was the life-blood. I still think the show is funny (Scottless episodes) but there are so many ways Michael could come back, with our without Holly. Just as most of the Gilmore Girls actors have not had much to do, since the show ended, the same might become true for The Office, if they don’t run it out to it’s true ‘end’. I also don’t think the possible spin-off for Rainn will last.

Comment by Jackson – August 6, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Michael should come back for the series finale, which in my opinion should be a gathering of all current and former Office characters for a viewing of the documentary that has been filming for the run of the series.

Comment by Mike J – June 25, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Another great excuse for Michael to come back. Brilliant.

Comment by Tyler – July 9, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Office did jump the shark early this season, but the second half was a great turn around. I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with one more season.

Comment by Jim – June 25, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LMAO Roseanne’s roast is gonna be good.

Comment by A – June 25, 2012 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God I can’t wait for this. I hope Lampanelli is there this time. She was missed at Sheen’s lackluster roast.

Comment by Olive – June 25, 2012 11:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would like to see michael scott return for the series finale whenever that may be. he is an iconic character who defined the series for many years and it would be fitting to have him at the end. i am looking forward to next season. i think the show, understandably, struggled a little to find its voice after he left but was coming into its own again towards the end of the season. it reminded me of season 1 of the American office when it couldn’t quite figure out how to define itself beyon ld the original and then season 2 was brilliant. parks and rec had the same struggle. i th

Comment by murley – June 25, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • oops, not quite sure how that happened. um, delete?

Comment by murley – June 25, 2012 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would like to see michael scott return for the series finale whenever that may be. he is an iconic character who defined the series for many years and it would be fitting to have him at the end. i am looking forward to next season. i think the show, understandably, struggled a little to find its voice after he left but was coming into its own again towards the end of the season. it reminded me of season 1 of the American office when it couldn’t quite figure out how to define itself beyond the original and then season 2 was brilliant. parks and rec had the same struggle. i think next season the show will have settled itself into the new dynamic and will hit its stride again.

Comment by murley – June 25, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i would love to see Michael Scott stroll past in the background like an extra. kind of like when Conan O’Brien walked by behind Michael Scott in while he was in New York City. or you know, even a phone call. i dont have to see his face. just knowing he still exists in the world of the Office would give me a sigh of relief and sense of closure. like, a phone call from Pam to Michael when Pam & Jim decide to leave dunder mifflin and move to CO to work with Michael & Holly.

Comment by cjeffery7 – June 25, 2012 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The original The Office boss? Oh, you mean Ricky Gervais?

Comment by Mitch from Omaha – June 26, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve is no dummy. I’m sure he’s noticed how horrific the show has been without him and wants nothing to do with voluntarily booking himself as a passenger on the Titanic.

Comment by Akron Brent – July 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of Michael coming back for a wedding episode. Would be pretty easy to write. Remember, Michael always needs to upstage everybody, so just imagine when he tries to upstage his bride…wants to make his own toast after the best man makes one. Imagine the awkward situation the best man is put in by even being asked. (Who would be the best man? Ryan, Jim, Packer?)

Michael first calls Jim to tell him about the wedding, and Michael brings up some sort of ridiculous idea about a destination wedding in Aspen, but then when Jim politely declines to be best man because he and Pam can’t go out there because of the kids, Michael decides to hold the wedding in Scranton instead, now putting the entire office on the hook for the wedding (which excites Kevin and pisses off Stanley). I can see Ryan and Jim turning the best man position down when offered by Michael, then when Packer comes in and starts acting as best man, Jim steps in to take it to help avoid disaster. Tobey tells Michael how touched he is to be invited, which was some sort of mistake which Michael tries to meanly retract, but Holly will not let him. Sometime during the episode David Wallace offers Michael some sort of position, causing Andy to fly off the handle.

Comment by SJ – July 6, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Think Michael Not returning for at least his wedding, Which might I add they have been, For lack of a better word “hyping” for the shows entire duration, is a complete insult and middle finger to all of the true office fans who’ve been with Michael from the beginning.
    SHOW US THE WEDDING!!!! that’s my opinion. Just sayin’.

Comment by Will – July 6, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steve Carrell should help put the Office to rest by returning for one last season. Any type of series finale wouldn’t be satisfying without Michael Scott as manager.

Comment by Efrem – July 30, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The office sucks now that Michael Scott is gone. I only watched it to see if he would return…

Comment by Kane – February 7, 2013 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post