Ratings: Newsroom on Par With Game of Thrones Debut, Army Wives Returns Strong

Aaron Sorkin’s The Newsroom premiered on Sunday night to 2.1 million total viewers, landing it well above the audience for HBO’s most recent — and quickly/briefly-renewed — drama debut, Luck (which drew 1.1 mil), and just shy of Game of Thrones‘ own series launch (2.2 mil).

Newsroom‘s 10 pm audience pales versus what Boardwalk Empire bowed to (in 2010) but trumped True Blood‘s 2008 series premiere audience of 1.4 mil. And if only because someone else is bound to note it, The Newsroom drew half of what Sorkin’s ill-fated Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip series finale netted for NBC almost exactly five years ago.

Setting the table for Sorkin & Co, True Blood did 4.7 mil, Vulture reports. Factoring in its Sunday night encore, Newsroom‘s premiere audience grew to 2.7 million total viewers.

RELATED | Miss The Newsroom? Watch the First Episode Here and Share Your Review

Elsewhere in available Sunday cable numbers, Lifetime’s Army Wives resumed its sixth season with 3.3 million total viewers, a 10 percent increase over the current season average. Though flat with the Adults 18-49 crowd, the drama saw gains in the 25-54 (up 15 percent) and Women 18-49 (up 7 percent) demos.

1. erin says:

I absolutely LOVED it. Can’t wait for next week’s ep.

2. D'Arcy says:

Why is one of the related articles ALWAYS labelled as a January 01 article? Weird glitch I think…

3. Sheldon W. says:

As a fan of Sorkin’s work ever since Sports Night and The American President, I thoroughly enjoyed the premiere of The Newsroom, but found it still had some clunky moments – like most of Sorkin’s work – in the transitions between the professional and personal lives of its characters.

I’d give it a solid B+

• Nathan says:

I definitely felt the same way. It was really strong at times but also had some rough patches. Also a huge fan of Sorkin’s work, although I never finished Sports Night. It’ll definitely pick up and if it can get through the bad press it could turn into a solid show

4. Velvet says:

4 comments for Newsroom – WOW – NOT

• Rolfe says:

The Newsroom is definitely getting online buzz. Maybe not in the comment section yet, but it was trending on Twitter for a few hours today. A full 12 hours after it premiered.

5. Rolfe says:

The Newsroom was great. I respectfully disagree with most critics. Based on Twitter, I saw universal acclaim. Hope this show has a long run.

• sammyreynolds says:

You can’t base anything on Twitter. If that’s the case alot of people that were watching it on their dvr’s today were giviing it mixed reviews.

6. sammyc77 says:

Just surprised they haven’t renewed it yet. They renewed Luck after the pilot episode.

• Balaji K says:

HBO usually renews most of it’s rookie shows on the Tuesday after it’s Sunday night premiere.

• sammyreynolds says:

Actually Veep and Girls got their renewals on the same day. Girls was renewed 2 weeks after their premiere but it didn’t get nearly the amount of viewers as Newsroom.

7. Happy to see Army Wives is still strong but I hope Pamela returns since Pan Am is cancel and her husband can return and her pilot GL didnt get pick up either.

8. jordan says:

Every show that gets great reviews on HBO gets renewed quickly. This did not so I don’t expect to hear anything on this show right away. Luck got very good reviews. So did Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones. If it doesn’t drop in viewers at all in the next few episodes, that will help it get a faster renewal.

9. CJ says:

There’s every possibility that this series will perform like Sorkin’s last show, which premiered pretty well then plummeted. If the ratings stay up, HBO will renew it. But they have a good reason not to renew it based on a single viewing.

• kmg says:

True, it’s possible, but I think this will be a different case. I was one of those who watched the Studio 60 premiere and then stopped watching. I’m a big Sorkin fan, and was VERY excited about the show coming out, but found it boring and totally lacking in energy. I thought Newsroom was great, and can’t wait for the next episode, or for Olivia Munn & Jane Fonda to join the cast.

10. TheBeach says:

I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the smart, snappy well-delivered dialog and bringing in a true life news story to give it relevance. When it ended, I just said to myself: “Wow, that was really good” (I didn’t say that after watching the first episode of Luck)

11. AJ says:

This show was horrible. I am not surprised some people are eating up it’s liberal “America sucks and the vast majority of people are stupid” message. The second part may even be right judging by how many people did not even get it. The female lead simply failed to deliver like most of the other characters and made the show unwatchable at times. Thank God critics were not afraid to come out and call a spade a spade on this one.

• Claudia Costa Chaves says:

Now, tell us how you REALLY feel.

• Pearl says:

Just because you got a slap on face in the first minutes of this show, aknowledging USA its not the greatest country in the world, you don’t get to say it’s bad. It’s almost like said in the show “Noone heard what i said after?”. The show is about truth, not about pleasing.

• AJ says:

I didn’t get a slap in the face from the first minutes of it. There is absolutely no other country I would want to live in and I am not ashamed of living here like the liberals are. Yet you don’t see them packing up to leave either. Just going on being the malcontents that they are. Liberals are trying to ingrain that message into young people in this country. You seem not to understand that this episode was written by one single person and reflects his personal view about this country. Just wait until more episodes air and you might understand who he is attacking with the rants he writes into the episodes. The show is not about truth either. It’s about the personal views of Aaron Sorkin. The same as everything he has ever done.

• AJ says:

And just on a side note, Sorkin has a lot of balls calling the young people in this country the worst generation ever, given that his generation successfully robbed this country blind. I could agree they are somewhat spoiled and maybe even a bit on the lazy side. But really, it is his generation that damaged our economy so badly with their greed. He is simply another do as I say not as I do Hollywood liberal. And he and people like him have successfully convinced young people that they had nothing to do with it (solely by saying “hey we aren’t Republicans so we can’t be part of the problem”) while being part of the 1% that they want to blame all the problems on. It’s astonishing that they pulled it off really.

• Lee says:

And what don’t you understand about fiction? There’s 5 elements: PLOT, CHARACTERS, SETTING (TME & PLACE), POINT OF VIEW AND THEME. Every novel has the author’s point of view. Newsroom has Aaron Sorkin’s point of view. What don’t you understand? If you don’t like Sorkin’s point of view then don’t watch Newsroom. But stop whining about something that has always been that way.

• Lee says:

And for your information, most of Sorkin’s “generation that robbed this country” were the REPUBLICANS–not the liberals. Get your facts straight while you stop whining about something like an author’s point of view that has always been that way.

• AJ says:

The show is based on real events lol. Why do you think critics have reacted so harshly to it? He uses hindsight bias in an “I told you so” fashion that is laughable. Good job trying to blame Republicans alone for the financial crisis. Pretty sure more than one liberal got filthy rich off it though. And my point still stands. This generation cannot possibly be the “worst generation period” when his own generation nearly bankrupted this country. Pot meet kettle.

12. A.R. says:

Why compare a series premiere to so many series finales? According to what logic does that make any sense?