Lifetime Rescues Marc Cherry's Devious Maids

Devious Maids set photo by Roselyn SanchezABC’s loss is Lifetime’s gain.

After weeks of negotiations, the cable net has officially handed Marc Cherry’s ill-fated ABC pilot Devious Maids a 13-episode order.

“This show and Marc Cherry’s unique story telling voice perfectly articulate Lifetime’s strategy of attracting top-tier creatives with their most original and exciting projects,” Lifetime prez Nancy Dubuc and EVP Rob Sharenow said in a joint statement.

RELATED | Fall Preview: A Guide to What’s New!

Loosely based on the Mexican telenovela The Disorderly Maids Of The Neighborhood, Cherry’s Maids follows four ambitious housekeepers (played by Ugly Betty‘s Ana Ortiz, Scrubs‘ Judy Reyes, Heroes‘ Dania Ramirez and Without a Trace‘s Roselyn Sanchez) who work for the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.

Soap icon Susan Lucci was on board to play one maid’s employer, while onetime Melrose Place resident Grant Show and True Blood alum Mariana Klaveno would lord over another, as a successful soap opera hunk and his self-centered actress-wife.

Maids is set to make its Lifetime debut in 2013.

1. leigha says:

I love the cast especially Ortiz and Reyes but won’t be watching this not my thing.

2. This is good news, I was hoping ABC would of picked it up but at least now it’ll still be on TV!

3. Stay says:

But no one picks my Secret Circle up, and gives them life :(((((
    I like the cast! Anna Ortiz and Judy are really sweet and if Grant stays it will be wOw! ;)

4. Carmen says:

The title itself is terrible. I thought Marc was a great voice for females, but the way he dealt with the women in the second half of Desperate Housewives was off-putting. Not looking forward to this stereotypical mess.

5. S says:

Yes! I wrote to Lifetime and asked them to save Devious Maids (and GCB)! I loved Ana Ortiz on Ugly Betty.

6. Yay!!! I will be watching

7. Summer says:

I kind of wish they’d saved GCB instead!

8. Martin says:

guess mariana kleveno couldn’t get out of that contract then..

Glad this worked out then.

Whatever happened to that show Marc Cherry said a few years ago he would develop when Housewives ended, apparently about cheerleaders

9. Ana says:

This is great news. I was disappointed when ABC didn’t pick it up. I hope Susan Lucci stays on. It will be fun to watch her.

10. Brandy says:

Can’t wait

11. Bee says:

i’m secretly hoping that lifetime also picks up GCB. it could work SO well on their network and “new image” or whatever, and is actually a good show that was getting decent-ish ratings. plus, out of scandal, the river, missing, etc, GCB’s DVD has been selling the best on amazon and has over 400 glowing reviews! it’s got a fanbase that’s holding on. it would be a missed opportunity to not try and save it honestly.

12. Jake says:

I loooove this news! Anything Marc Cherry, i’m in! Go Lifetime!

13. Maria says:

Great news! Hopefully Lifetime will be able to save GCB next.

14. farru says:

Lifetime save good christian bells (GCB) please!

15. Can we expect a trailer or at least some stills from the pilot?

16. zombies says:

Read it. Racist.

• Jellymoff says:

Yeah… I won’t judge quite yet since I haven’t seen it, but the premise could not get any more stereotypical. Awesome finally a show with 4 Latina leads! Who are.. maids… yeah. Lame.

17. Danielle H says:

Yay hope it’s good!!

18. Em says:

Yes! I got to see the pilot and I loved it. Now if only someone would pick up that Roseanne Barr show.

19. mia says:

I’m glad! I was hoping to see this show (and hoping it subverts the stereotype its playing with). Glad Lifetime picked it up, I’m sure ABC would have cancelled it anyways.
    Now just wish they’d save GCB!! Or anyone would save it. I miss that show already

20. Sara says:

I’m glad they picked it up. It sounded like it could be interesting and I like Ana Ortiz from Ugly Betty. I hope Lucci doesn’t play her “Erica” persona.

21. Mitholas says:

The only reason I will give this a shot is because I don’t think I’ve ever seen a show where all of the core cast members were of color. If you ask me, that’s mostly a good thing to have going for you, although on the other hand, I’m a bit afraid this will fall into cultural stereotyping. It’s not like a white maid is completely implausible. A white maid in the mix would have at least not made it seem like they needed maids so they went looking for latina actresses only.
    Come on, this is essentially Marc Cherry going “hm, how could I have a DH do-over but not have it be the same? I know, I’ll replace the suburban housewives (with, let’s face it, plenty of money) with maids! No one will see it coming!”

22. greysfan says:

This is actually better news because on Lifetime it has a better chance of succeeding than on a broadcast net. Happy its been picked up and will be watching when it makes it to air.

23. Lucy says:

Now this are good news! Finally Susan Lucci will be back on my tv! Now save GCB!!!

24. Juan says:

Wow, with that stellar cast it didn’t get picked up?
    Each of those actresses alone warrants attention.

Touche Lifetime, you just may have a new viewer with that and Runway..

25. Robin says:

I love Lifetime…and this does seem to fit with its new image it kind of has building lately…but I’m not sure how I feel about this show just yet or how I feel about the new “image” for Lifetime…(I hate the new logo!!) I certainly hope this doesn’t cut into Army Wives…really that’s what this comes down to for me.

26. jsswite says:

I’m still steamed at Lifetime for cancelling Against the Wall. Not sure I want to invest any more time in their programming.

27. Elyse says:

i can’t wait for this show!! :)

28. W5 says:

DEVIOUS MAIDS TV SHOW: If you want lots of ammunition contact MANY Gringo’s in Ajijic/Chapala, mexico where the Maids/Gardners can steal ANYTHING and get away with it. And do not call the police, they are worse!

The law is entirely on the labour side. Some even blackmail employers to pay severence pay if they want a quit notice. Otherwise they will take it to the labour board and REALLY soak you, along with lawyer fees. And some are truly honest and wonderful.

After years of honest working for someone, they suddenly “steal them blind” when they decide to quit. Then the labour board makes you pay them thousands on top for vacation pay, etc.. So even when a weekly rate is established, you can pretty much triple the amount of salary when all is said and done.

29. mary says:

What is happening to army wives? Is it on in 2012-2013? Becky

30. Chris Lim says:

I was hoping to see the character of Audrey on Army Wives but I guess we won’t see her (can’t they make Lucci do both Devious Maids and Army Wives)if Susan Lucci is doing Devious Maids. Though since Lucci’s characters are supporting can’t they let her do both shows? The trailers look good with Rebecco Wisocky and Tom Irwin – I would love to see Lucci play a dual role maybe the crazy Genevieve who does seem to have some Erica Kane tendencies and say a nerdy, mousy maid.