Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: American Idol's Jessica Sanchez in Talks for Multi-Episode Season 4 Arc

jessica sanchez gleeAnd we are telling you, she is not going to leave Fox’s primetime schedule. Indeed, Jessica Sanchez, whose monster pipes and near-perfect pitch carried her all the way to a second-place finish on Season 11 of American Idol, is nearing a deal to join Glee‘s fourth season in a multi-episode arc, TVLine has learned exclusively.

There are no details yet available on what role Glee executive producer Ryan Murphy might have in store for the 16-year-old California native, but the plan would be to have her join the cast midway through the first half of Season 4, after she completes her duties on the Idols Live summer tour. Presumably, though, Sanchez’s character would in some capacity — either as part of McKinley High’s New Directions show choir or at the New York Academy for the Dramatic Arts where Rachel Berry is headed in the fall — compete for solos with the show’s existing and impressive stable of vocalists. In other words, if you love a diva-off (and who doesn’t?), Season 4 of Glee is about to get intense.

During her Idol run, Sanchez became an early front-runner on the strength of scorching Vegas-round renditions of “It Doesn’t Matter Anymore” and “The Prayer,” followed by a spot-on rendition of “I Will Always Love You” on Whitney Houston night. Later, in a Top 7 week shocker, Ryan Seacrest revealed the girl who sometimes performed as her alter-ego Bebe Chez was the lowest vote getter, but the judges promptly vetoed America’s decision by using their sole “save” of the season. Sanchez then went on to steal the show during the Idol finale by virtue of a jaw-dropping duet with Broadway legend Jennifer Holliday on the Dreamgirls classic “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.”

If the Glee deal is completed, it will mark Sanchez’s third time at the primetime rodeo. Back in 2006, she appeared as a contestant on the inaugural season NBC’s America’s Got Talent.

Excited about the idea of Sanchez getting Gleeky? Any hopes for the type of role she’ll play, or the cast members she’ll share the screen with? Hit the comments and share your thoughts! And if you’re not super-familiar with Sanchez, check out our two-part Idology interview with her below.

1. Bree says:

yesssssssss! Luv you JSan!!!!! keep shining!^.^

2. Mic says:

I’m so happy for her. I know she”ll do well. Darn, now I have to watch Glee again. Sheesh some jealous peeps here just cause your idol didn’t get chosen to be on jessica’s position. I think she can act. I’ve heard that she has a scholarship to some fancy performing arts school in LA prior to Idol. Are you mad she has accomplished so much at 16 yrs. old? LOL

3. Lizzie says:

This is SUPER awesome!! Love her and love Glee!!!

4. JC says:

Looks like I’ll be watching Glee again!!! I love her on AI and I voted for her like crazy. She will be a great addition and her recurring role may help increase her upcoming album’s sales :)

5. Celia says:

She’s a really good singer. I do hope they did a screen test to make sure she can act so we don’t end up with another situation like season 2. Keeping my fingers crossed that she acts even half as well as she sings.

6. Tommyo2000 says:

The haters are kind of funny … I mean if you hated her because you liked another Idol and she was a threat to your contestant then I get it … but hating her for this?? Who’s toes is she stepping on anyway?? And how can she piss you off with her personality??? she started off Idol as a very shy kid and came out of her shell as the show went on,. All she ever did was be as humble and gracious as anyone … she was genuinely shocked when she made top two, and shut every interviewer down, and there were a lot of them, who said she should have won by saying “Phillip totally deserved to win” …

• PhilJess says:

i totally agree with you! Jessica is humble and phenomenal! I love her! A LOT!

• smartboy says:

the haters are the same idiots who voted for what’s his name? lol…..not even a couple of months and his name escapes me…..wasn’t his style sorta the bag boy style? hmmmm….that’s a trend to watch out for… wrinkly grey shirts and unkempt persona!

7. Cookiehunter says:

How stupid can these people get? She won’t be a mainstay of the show, she’ll just be a guest for 4 episodes. Give the girl a chance, we haven’t even seen her act yet. I wish her well, I hope she makes it in this industry. She’s blessed with a wonderful talent and her age is on her side. I’m excited for her future.

8. Jared b says:

This girl is a star! a world wide idol.. a rapping diva lol, she`s exciting to watch. gona follow her now in Glee.

9. Davey says:

I think that photo of Jessica with the pom-poms is adorable.

10. J says:

This is such a great news!!

11. flor says:

I never watched Glee, but if Jessica would be there, i would definitely watch it no matter what!!! can’t wait!!!!

12. kaley says:

I didn’t think it was possible for my interest in ever watching this show again to dwindle even further, but once again Glee managed to give me an unpleasant surprise. I wish they’d dedicate the continuity they show with dubious casting decisions to their writing instead.

13. PhilJess says:

Jessica is the true winner! I’m so happy for her….

14. ENZO says:

I want her role to be someone who is Sweet, gentle, and everybody loves her, yet she is slowly destroying everyone. it’s like antagonist but she herself have no idea that that’s what she’s doing until everyone’s crying fighting… later becomes arrogant and will demand for a duel between her and rachel or mercedez.. is this ok? haha

15. angelstorm says:

Eeek !! Soooooo exciting !!! That’s definitely another reason to watch Glee !!

16. rmb says:

they need to get alison iraheta onto Glee. please?!?! let the rocker chick gleek out.

• scrutinizer says:

yes, another fab performer who many said had NO personality….WRONG!
      some people are just haters, and unfortunately will never give justified credit to those they hate.

17. scrutinizer says:

i don’t understand why people keep saying jessica sings great but has no personality. just look at her 2 part idology reel and you’ll see how much personality and feistiness she radiates. she has as much personality and appeal as anyone else on the last season, or any season for that matter. i like her confidence and the fact she knows what she wants and where she’s going, even at such a young age. her maturity, combined with teenage freshness, is quite captivating :)

18. Lynn says:

Love Jessica Sanhez Im not a fan of Glee but once she started hitting the show, i will start watching it. Im a big fan of Jessica :)

19. sleekcsg26 says:

Wow, this is awesome! God speed Jess!

20. Dee Miggel says:

I still wonder why Jessica-haters take time to read news about her, degrade her by their nasty comments and pull her down when she’s nothing but a nice 16-year-old. This is classic BULLYING and please don’t wonder why your kids or siblings are being bullied in school by BULLIES like you. This is good news for Jessica fans.

• sm says:

An article about Glee and its main and basic theme(bullying) always brings out the bad in people who only want to criticize about anything. Go figure. When people who don’t even know anything about Jessica criticize just to criticize, show their ignorance to what there is about her essence. You, I, We don’t know anything about her talent or lack of talent as an actor. All I know is that she CAN sing and sings beautifully, a whole better than me and the majority of the people who post on social media. It sure seems funny that those who criticize may be criticizing because of jealousy-they have no talent. I know I can’t carry a tune, and admit it proudly.

21. tyler says:

I will definitely come back to watch GLEE if Jessica Sanchez gets in.

22. hmr says:

I would like to see Hollie on Glee.

23. Jennifer says:

Watching from numerous post-idol interviews, she seems smart, intelligent and witty. Glee project will fit her. Come on.. what she did in Idol is so much harder than Glee. She can definitely act. When she sings she acts out by letting emotions come out of her voice. In Glee, situations and characters are created to be acted out.. more visual. Besides, there are re-takes, songs are recorded, and singing and dancing are so much easier when songs are pre-recorded! I heard that she is a good dancer, too. Glee will be a piece of cake for her!

24. Jessica says:

Kid role/opportunity for a kid. It’s perfect for her. Still think had she come on AI at 19 or 20 she would of had even better opportunities.

25. Rob says:

She can totally be Santana’s sister or cousin of some sorts

26. Nam Nguyen says:

Never watch Idol before. Visited my son family when they’re watching JS and getting addicted to her beautiful voice since. Will buy her album and watch any show JS is on.

27. STW says:

I’ve never seen her on anything, so there are only two criteria I’d have for her appearance:

A) Can she act? This is the most important thing. If she can’t act (and how would anyone know from brief appearances on a reality-TV show that is performance based, not even “behind the scenes drama” based like TGP), she doesn’t belong on Glee, no matter how well she sings, unless it is simply and purely to show up and sing a song as an opponent in a competition. Charice was a great singer, but she couldn’t act, and that made her screen-time a negative for the show.

B) Is the character being written on specifically to serve and further the story of the small group of cast members who will be the focus of Season 4? No one else coming onto the show should detract, in any way, from the main stories, or be introduced to become a new character that runs the risk of diluting the main stories. I’m trusting that SJP and KH are there not to be characters in and of themselves, but to further and enhance Kurt & Rachel’s stories; that’s what needs to happen this year with all guest stars. If they become characters for whom viewers demand entire fleshed out back stories and full focus, it will contribute to the further fractioning of the show, rather than strengthening and solidifying it.

So if she can act, and if she’s written in to augment a current story, not to become a story, her appearance would be OK I guess; but it isn’t something that would make me excited. I’m excited to see how the stories of Finn, Rachel, Kurt, Santana, Artie, and Tina play out; those stories that Glee has been telling from the start are the ones I want to see told fully and well!

28. bjp says:

Michael, will you be posting your interview with Phillip any time soon?

29. NO ONE ELSE COMES CLOSE…
    JESSICA SANCHEZ- ONLY ONE!

30. Cherry says:

Jessica Sanchez is doing well right now. im so proud of her.. even though, she didnt won i know she’ll be a big star someday!

31. sarah says:

I’m a huge fan of Jessica and Glee is my all-time fave show so I’m thrilled with this news :D But really people, dun go hating on Jessica or Glee just because it’s not working out the way u want it to. I mean yeahh everyone has their opinions but no need to say terrible stuff. It seriously doesn’t do anyone any good. You may not like Jess but at least give her a chance. It’s not like u guys know her personally or anything. Maybe she can act, maybe she can’t. Watch her on Glee then judge. I loved Glee since season 1 till now and I admit, some things I’m not happy about either like Samcedes and Brittany not graduating and Finchel breaking up but I still watch the show because I respect it. Honestly, there is no way anyone can like everything in a show. In every show, there’s surely something someone hates. It’s normal. If u dun like it, dun watch it. Simple as that.

32. sm says:

@Sarah, no one knows what the creators have in store for Glee and its new concept. Speculation runs rampant about what is thought that each characters story will be. Chris Cofer was the most liberal with the possibilities of story line for Kurt and Sarah Jessica Parker and how NY ties in. But it is basic info. As for Jessica and her contribution to Glee who knows til there is more info. I for one will wait and see. I agree with STW about the usage of guests on Glee season 2 and 3. Season 2 Gwynneth Paltrow’s character was the central character in her episodes. Not very Gleeful about those. Season 3 Shelby’s character was wasted on trivial nonsense storyline with Puck not ceasing the moment to bond her and Rachel or either help and bond her with Quinn. IMO, a fail. So, hopefully, season 4 the storylines are interesting showing depth and legitament growth for all the major characters. Sorry, but IMO, season 3 had way too many stories for the show to introduce as many LGTB scenarios as possible. ie. Unique, Santana. For me Glee got off its original path and became more of PSA and open forum for community service information. It was interesting in many ways but as a whole was lost in its bungling of many storylines that were very far fetched to outlandish.
    So, to keep the fires burning enthusiasm for the show, it needs a reboot of sorts-a new concept-which I really hope will generate a renewal of interest and a resurgence of fandom coming together. As of now, fandom has become splintered into fqctions quibbling about silly crazy things not related to the show. Many die-hard fans still remain steadfast for their characters and/or couples-characters on the show and in real life couples. Just like this article, it brings out negativity in social media lurkers. I wish that all who choose to watch the show just stop and reconsider that the show is making a new and interesting change in its format and content. Jessica just might blow us away like season 4 might.

33. ANN says:

lol..in myown opinion she’s perfect on the,i think she have a enough time to improve her acting skills..she’s awesome and i think the needs a diva and powerful singer like JESSICA..

34. ANN says:

LOVE JESSICA..SHE’S PERFECT FOR THE SHOW..

35. Jen says:

I stopped watching Glee because of controversial episodes and scenes not for my taste. However, I will definitely look forward to seeing Jessica on Glee. Appearing in 4 episodes is better than being a regular of the show. The theme should be something suitable for a very young high school student. How about bullying so we all can learn a lesson or two?

36. HStanford says:

I will definitely watch Glee because of Jessica Sanchez. I’m so excited to see her acting ability.

37. Acissej says:

A Star is Born !!! From singing to acting… TV show such as Glee, a record deal… and hopefully, Broadway for Miss Saigon… And she’s only 16?

38. Leta Bayudan says:

Hi racist, leave Jessica Sanchez alone. She is just following her dreams. That no body can just grab like the racist do. If you dont ha ve a dream yet, please start now to have one. Jesus Christ will help you realize it . God will put Jessica in the right direction. God knows her as pure and straight and a great role model to the teenagers. Thats why God will help her in every step of the way. God will bless all the ra cist and haters that they dont know of what they doing.

39. Lynn says:

Actually I’d been waiting for the formal announcement of Jessica appearing in Glee, thanks it really happen. I will start watching Glee from now on. Love you Jessica!

40. Hi! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I’m trying to
    find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Appreciate it!